Forums59
Topics1,040,675
Posts13,985,473
Members144,242
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9113449 07/10/13 02:23 AM
A
awdieee Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
I read Neumie's post before it was removed by mod and I thought he was spot on. Why should he be ban for 2 weeks for voicing his opinions?

If someone do not have the common sense to stay on the beach when the conditions are WORST than the day before he/she should not even consider BTB. Not to mention SOLO.

Lee

Lee
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9113460 07/10/13 02:26 AM
G
Grease Bath Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Nicely put B_Rod. I felt much the same way Nuemie did when I heard and read the " epic" story. I didn't publicly blast him, but I'm glad someone did. There are some things that need to be taken seriously and BTB is most definitely one!

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9113562 07/10/13 02:52 AM
79scooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Wish I had read Neumies post, sounds like he and I feel the same

Last edited by 79scooter; 07/10/13 02:52 AM.

Formerly known as Scooter79

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9113594 07/10/13 02:59 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Out of this story I can also see how a lot of kayakers may feel obviously like Robert did, that their kayak is capable of taking on the roughest of waters out there, just because of the brand name and popularity, and hype of the kayak.
The best made, and most stable kayaks are no match for seas that can reach a boats limits in the blink of an eye, and no vessel is going to compensate for ignorance, and the breaking of common sense safety rules.

Last edited by Jimbo; 07/10/13 03:03 AM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9113698 07/10/13 03:28 AM
U
Urban Fisher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
Well I have been watching this thread with open eyes. I already posted but I was trying to be conservative. Reading more in the fact that YAK'N AGGIE has only been fishing for the last couple of years set me back. Even 79scooters's post of "Idiot" was my first reaction!

I also see it as the whole thing being a huge self promotion in a bad taste. I grew up just outside of surfside. I was a competitive swimmer and die hard surfer. I spent every free day I had surfing, fishing and sailing Hobie cats all along the coast. Even to this day I have not ventured out more than a few yards past the breakers in a yak!! That to me spells for a strong chance of pure disaster...let alone doing it alone! (Plus add on the fact, new yak, new fisherman, never tipped a yak before...I can go on) that is not a stupid person... It's a person that was thinking stupid!!! Why...To promote his you tube channel and blogs??? Not worth it!!! Don't be a hero risking your life trying to impress others. Listen to the seasoned/older/wiser people when it comes to pushing the limits on things that may be new to you.

Even though I could care less about the blogs...it's better than reading the news about a fellow yakker not being with us! (Also the fact that the coast guard, helicopters and such got involved...well if you want to put a price on people knowing someone is being stupid (lady with binoculars) and add the cost of the coast guard, helicopter, gas, time and such... That was probably a few thousand dollars they spent and wasted for watching after your stupid thinking [censored]!!!)

Jane says I've never been in love - no
She don't know what it is
She only knows if someone wants her
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9113987 07/10/13 09:33 AM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Man guys this is getting personal. I get the fact that he wasn't making all the right judgment calls. He said that in the very begining. We all have had our moments weather its kayaking or work etc. I don't see a need to bash him. Its easy for us to pick appart his choices from the couch.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: christian myrick] #9114313 07/10/13 01:22 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I would have to think that when he posted the story, he is the one that made it personal.

Just one more cast!

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9114322 07/10/13 01:26 PM
T
The Thorpedo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Bobby we are all glad you are safe. And you are blessed to be alive. Not that you don't know any of this. I know I will probably never attempt btb by myself and I consider myself seasoned in "kayaking " . You can never be experienced enough out there. When you fall off your boat level headed thinking goes away. Luckily you were able to keep composure long enough to get it back together. And I know you know that. And this isn't at Bobby its @ everyone. Life isn't worth being the best, having the coolest video, or being a "pro staffer" for a bunch of people who pay you in lures.

THE KAYAK KID

History of kayaks

Perception-pescador12
Native-Mariner
Wildernesssystems-ride115
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9114330 07/10/13 01:28 PM
T
The Thorpedo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Shames over, life goes on. Learn from mistakes. That's it.

THE KAYAK KID

History of kayaks

Perception-pescador12
Native-Mariner
Wildernesssystems-ride115
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9114371 07/10/13 01:41 PM
T
TexasBassBuster Offline
Angler
Angler
T
great story. glad you are ok.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: TexasBassBuster] #9114557 07/10/13 02:26 PM
C
CanadiYak Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Wow Bobby I have not been on the forum in awhile and go on to read this.im glad you made it through to tell your story.I for one am glad you posted because it just proves that Mother Nature has a mind of her own.Glad you made it back safe and hope this story reminds people to think and know their limits.Hope to see you out on the water soon,Mike

[Linked Image]

Tight-Lines Mike aka "Playing Hooky"
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9114601 07/10/13 02:40 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
I wanted to make just one more post and I am done with this matter. I came across very harsh in my last post, but I still stand by what I said. I am extremely happy Yak'n Aggie made it through the whole experience ok. I guess as a father my parental instincts kicked in and I went off with what I posted. But like with kids, they do something stupid, you punish them. I guess the harsh words being thrown at Yak'n Aggie are a form of social punishment. Not that I want to insult you, just more in reminding you how to respect the risk you take when planning such dangerous type fishing trips. (I will stress I never said your were stupid...just thinking stupid). And believe me, I have a college degree, good job, nice office and such, and I will be the first to admit I have done many stupid things in my life!

But the part where the coast guard gets involved is what set me off. These guys risk their own lives saving people from doing stupid things! The lady with the binoculars probably watched you going out thinking..."What the heck is he doing?" She was smart enough to know big trouble was about to happen. Just be glad they cared!

And the whole blog and video thing...I'm sure when you launched without the plug, your go pros were checked and ready to go. It seems to me that you may have been more worried about getting good shots then checking the basic safety things like a plug in your boat!! Also the picture of the helicopter!?!?!..that to me is almost like mocking them for trying to save your life!! Do yourself a favor and go on some trips and not worry about filming it. You would be surprised how much more you concentrate on the fishing and things going on around you when you're not worried about filming everything.

The Gulf is a huge and powerful force. You could take every lake in the Dallas area and all that water would probably fill up 1/4 of Galveston bay. There are storms, currents and waves that are just much more powerful than you would find in any fresh water lake. Even big boats can get in trouble real quick in such an immense body of water. The only true days to go BTB in a yak on the gulf are on the true ice cream days. That is when the water is almost as calm as glass. Only downside...it happens VERY rarely!!

Also, to remind everyone...you can catch the big sharks and such right off the piers or shore! I have seen people land big king fish and amber jack off the Surfside Jetties. The bays also offer some outstanding saltwater fishing opportunities. No need to risk your life in a tiny plastic boat to enjoy the thrills of catching big salt water fish! smile

Jane says I've never been in love - no
She don't know what it is
She only knows if someone wants her
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9114912 07/10/13 04:04 PM
J
JRNissley Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Bobby,

I am so glad you're safe. From reading the blog, this could have ended so badly in a number of ways. I'm just glad you lived.

As others have noted, you made some newbie moves on a body of water that can be incredibly unforgiving. Having done it annually for some time (but fishing offshore more frequently from a boat), I don't personally find kayaking BTB much fun (I'm focused too much on what could go wrong). I'm sure from reading the post and reading your other posts, you've learned some valuable lessons.

As for self-promotion, when I read the blog, the last sentences "teasing" the videos did seem ill-suited to the post about being careful. However, I obviously don't know you well enough to have any idea what your intention was with the last paragraph. Thus, I appreciate Christian's caution to all of us to be wise with our words.

However, I think there's a great chance for a spin here that could be excellent for your viewership. I don't know if you're already planning to, but it would be awesome to include some narrative in your videos about this trip detailing for others what you would do different next time and why it matters. Be precise, be specific, and potentially save a life. You're invested in kayak angling, and you made these mistakes. You may be new, but you're consistently engaged.

Your excellent skills at videography and narrative have a chance to help someone who is less invested but seeking a thrill just as much to think more deeply before they aren't as lucky as you were.

As a clinical psychologist, I specialize in bad decisions. People will watch a video that is considered "epic" and "death-defying," and they'll walk away imitating behavior if they're not directed otherwise. A lot of adrenaline junkies think fishing offshore will be a new natural high. It is for many, but it's also wicked dangerous.

I'm sure the battle scenes with the fish will be awesome, but I think you have a real chance to do something lasting by making these videos as instructional as they will be entertaining.

Again, Bobby, I'm just glad you're safe!

Nissley's recommendation for a natural high: kayak fishing

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: Urban Fisher] #9114922 07/10/13 04:07 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Well said Urban Fisher! cheers

Just one more cast!

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: TexasBassBuster] #9114997 07/10/13 04:28 PM
L
Leever Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: TexasBassBuster
great story. glad you are ok.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide