Forum Stats
93124 Members
58 Forums
743745 Topics
9735789 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#8576947 - 02/11/13 06:24 PM Re: Why did Whiney Houston get flags flown half mast and not Chris Kyle? [Re: Coach Hark]
Near Nuthin' Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Texas
Perry should have made the call to lower the flags to half mast state wide.

#8576969 - 02/11/13 06:29 PM Re: Why did Whiney Houston get flags flown half mast and not Chris Kyle? [Re: Coach Hark]
N.Tex_paddler Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Plano, TX
If we lowered the flags every time there was a memorial for a fallen vet then they would just stay lowered all the time. I agree he was a great guy and did a lot for his country but the military treats all as equals. Guess who gets paid more the guy on the front lines getting shot at or the guy working in the S shop back on the FOB that never leaves the wire? They get paid the same which is what's great about our military. He will be greatly missed and I hate that this happened to him and am glad so many showed up to pay their respects.

#8576973 - 02/11/13 06:30 PM Re: Why did Whiney Houston get flags flown half mast and not Chris Kyle? [Re: Near Nuthin']
HasBen Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: Naconowhere
Originally Posted By: Near Nuthin'
Perry should have made the call to lower the flags to half mast state wide.

Why would he do that? He does not order flags lowered for any soldiers killed in battle. Seems like it would be doing it just because Chris Kyle had celebrity status.

#8577063 - 02/11/13 06:50 PM Re: Why did Whiney Houston get flags flown half mast and not Chris Kyle? [Re: Coach Hark]
Coach Hark Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Grand Prairie, America
I guess I'm in the minority. No telling how many lives he saved.

#8577182 - 02/11/13 07:10 PM Re: Why did Whiney Houston get flags flown half mast and not Chris Kyle? [Re: HasBen]
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Sachse Texas
He is one of the very best Snipers our country has ever seen. No sure about a celebrity other than a lot of men with unshakable values held this man in the highest regard.

Whitney Houston was a celebrity. I can assure you Chris did not think of himself as a celebrity .. matter of fact he shunned that and probably would not have wanted the flags half mass for himself.

Coach I am with you...if that puts me in the minority then so be it.

#8577647 - 02/11/13 08:21 PM Re: Why did Whiney Houston get flags flown half mast and not Chris Kyle? [Re: TexasBlonde]
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Dallas
Originally Posted By: TexasBlonde
Originally Posted By: Scagnetti
They flew the flag at half mast in New Jersey the day of Whitney Houston's funeral.

And you care about what people do in New Jersey why?

They flew the flag at half mast for Chris Kyle in his hometown the day he was slain.

Some people on here carped at flying the flag at half mast for the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School that cost 20 school children their lives saying it wasn't a national tragedy.

Odd how myopic people get based on the geography of these events.

Scags, I do not see anywhere where people complained about them being flown at half-mast for the victims in Newtown.

Historically, the honor has been for people who have served our nation or who were killed while in service such as when the astronauts died.

I think people are astounded Obama did not recognize the good Kyle did while he was in the service and after he retired from the service by asking flags to be flown at half-mast in his honor. He saved thousands of lives. That is what is rubbing people the wrong way. We, the American people, should be honoring Chris Kyle for his service. It makes no difference he was not killed in the line of duty. He was trying to help those who return home fractured from their experience. That deserves honor and respect.

I'm doubly astounded that the His Hairness, the governor of the state of Texas didn't mandate that the flag be flown at half mast for a native son but then again, Rick Perry is an elitist Republican.

BTW, the flag has been flown at half mast for other celebrities such as Elvis Presley, Bob Hope, John Wayne, Michael Jackson, Clarence Clemons, etc.

And as far as you stating "I do not see anywhere where people complained about them being flown at half-mast for the victims in Newtown."

Here's two people that did:

Originally Posted By: hopalong
Originally Posted By: fish4bass
Originally Posted By: RATZ
As for the judge who didn't fly it at half staff after Newtown I'm not sure I disagree with him. While it was a horrible tragedy, I look at flying the flag at half staff to be for those who have been in service to our country. I think it should have been at half staff for Stormin Norman.

We should respect the office.... not the man. If a individual wants to make a statement... and subsequently look like a moron... Please proceed.

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

As a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated on December 14, 2012, in Newtown, Connecticut, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, December 18, 2012. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourteenth day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

BARACK OBAMA

and per the flag code this is not considered an appropriate reason for this.

#8577680 - 02/11/13 08:25 PM Re: Why did Whiney Houston get flags flown half mast and not Chris Kyle? [Re: Coach Hark]
Gone Shank'n Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: TX
Funny that the flag gets flown at half mast for a bunch of people that essentially committed suicide from all the drugs they were taking, but not for a veteran and one of the best snipers in the world. hmmmm

#8577689 - 02/11/13 08:26 PM Re: Why did Whiney Houston get flags flown half mast and not Chris Kyle? [Re: Coach Hark]
VIP Fishing Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: A wandering Nomad
Flags were flown at half mast for WH? You are kidding me!

Originally Posted By: Derek
I do enjoy a good Squirt now and then.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© 1998-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide