Forums59
Topics1,038,931
Posts13,955,681
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ #8514530 01/29/13 05:23 AM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Okay folks let's post up our ideas and suggestions here. This will help with the repetitive questions we see over and over.

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8514573 01/29/13 05:59 AM
P
PayneFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
From paynespaddlefish.com

Kayak Fishing Etiquette 101: The Rules

If you are paddling near another kayaker, it is courteous to wave. Small talk is optional but almost always appreciated. If you are getting yes/no answers, say have a good day and keep paddling.

If you see someone catch a fish that you do not know, it is ok to congratulate them and engage in small talk. Again, yes/no answers mean keep moving. Do not paddle straight for them and crowd the location they are fishing.

When fishing, if you do not know the people you are fishing near, keep a distance of 50 yards. This changes on some water systems but better safe than sorry.

Observe the direction that the fisherman is moving down the bank. It is not ok to paddle 50 yards ahead of him and start fishing. Try fishing an opposite bank. If you feel you must paddle by it is expected for you to ask if you can slide up the bank a ways and fish. If allowed, make sure it is 100 yards or so up the bank. If you do start catching fish after an allowable pass, it is courteous to invite the angler to come fish that new spot with you.

If you are invited to fish a location with a local, do not give away the spots they show you. If you are the host, it is usually customary to ask the guest to not give away your spots. Set the expectation early.

If fishing in tight quarters, if you must pass between a fisherman and the bank, please ask before going through, especially if he is throwing toward the bank. The best bet is to avoid it as much as possible.

If loading or unloading on a boat ramp, please be quick and efficient. Picnics should not be on the ramp.

If you are loading or unloading with a group, offer to help others take their boats to the water or vehicle.

If you are fishing in a group it is most polite to share what the fish are biting on. If you have additional baits to share, that is a huge plus but not mandatory.

Do not disparage other kayakers if their boat does not meet your standards or brand preference.

Share ideas on rigging and compliment when you see something you like, even if it wouldnt work on your kayak.

Always help a kayaker in distress.

If you are a spot stealer, expect to be labeled as such in the community. We may not post it publicly but we will all know and you will find yourself fishing alone more and more.

Carry extra gear if possible. 360 lights, paddles, PFDs and rope are a good start. You never know who forgot what.

General manners, like saying thank you, go a long way.

People get tight lipped around tournament time. Dont ask. If they want to share their report, they will.

Some folks have sponsors. Some dont. Both sides of the argument need to be ok with each others situation. Dont be pushy.

There is no perfect kayak. Always remember that.

There are no perfect people. Always remember that.

This is just a start to the list and my hope is that others will add to it. Im not the expert that decides these things, just a guy trying to help others know what some of the other folks are thinking and expecting. Feel free to chime in.

Additional submissions:

If it is dark do not leave your vehicle parked at the ramp with the lights on. It blinds other people backing down. Just leave your parking lights on until you pull out.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8514620 01/29/13 06:38 AM
R
RoadBlock Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Pack your boat economically, there is nothing worse when fishing from a yak than clutter.
If you know what your going to be using that day take it and a few other things, you don't need every lure you own.
If you smoke (i used to) ask if people mind you smoking around them, try and stay down wind.
When it comes to safety/emergency equipment its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Don't ever think you won't flip/turtle it can and will happen to 90% of yakkers.
Take your time when choosing a boat/paddle/pfd if you don't love it to start you probably never will.
Be courteous even if others aren't. You get more bees with honey
As my Ma always said. (although you will hear some friendly ribbing )
Don't listen to brand snobs, most of us have a brand we like or dislike. Don't listen to us or like something just because we do. Form your own opinion and let the brand snobs and haters do as they wish.
Show respect, the only way you will ever learn anything in this community is to show respect to who is teaching you, despite age or gender or anything else. I know for a fact there are some young men and women who could woop me in a second. You never know who knows what.
Hang out with everyone you can, visit other camps at Get 2 Gethers.
Just because something looks funny or goofy doesn't mean it is useless. Some of the coolest diy yak stuff looks totally goofy.
Don't be afraid to make/build it yourself and if you do share the idea around.
Most of all get out in your yak whenever you can, you'll only get better with practice but don't get cocky. Somehow the yak gods know and have a way of humbling you.
Enjoy the sport,promote the sport, and prepare for the addiction.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: RoadBlock] #8515310 01/29/13 02:49 PM
readtrio Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Some good ideas here. Its a lot of stuff to remember. Most of it just common sense, which isn't too common these days,

Thanks for the write up!!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8515822 01/29/13 04:26 PM
R
RoadBlock Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I think thats the main problem. I thought it was just my 18 year old daughter and her friends but the more i am around college students its like that whole generation hid behind the door when God handed out the common sense!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8515844 01/29/13 04:34 PM
S
SleepingTiger Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
oops, its a FAQ, not a place to ask questions

Last edited by SleepingTiger; 01/29/13 11:15 PM.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8516134 01/29/13 05:31 PM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
A few safety guidelines:

You need to have a whistle, a PFD, and a fishing license. If you are paddling at night, you need to have a 360 degree light. You should turn your light on 30 minutes before the sun goes down, and in the morning, it should stay illuminated 30 minutes after the sun comes up.

Boat wakes can be tricky. The best way to approach the situation (to avoid taking on water or flipping) is to directly face the wake.

Anchors are great tools, but use them wisely and cautiously. Once you are anchored, it is hard to move your kayak.

Use a float plan. A float plan is a written outline of your intended trip. Use as much detail as possible, such as addresses and markers, and leave the information behind. I leave mine on my fridge for my wife.

While you aren't required to wear a PFD at all times, you are legally required to have one on board. Of course, it is recommended to wear it at all times. Don't rush when purchasing a vest - the idea here is to get the most comfortable vest possible. You won't be tempted to take it off.

Don't leave a stringer of fish hanging off your kayak if you are in the ocean or around alligators.

Learn how to use the various weather websites and phone apps. Staying on top of the weather is important.

How to re-enter your kayak:

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8518444 01/30/13 12:09 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8524827 01/31/13 04:09 AM
Y
Yakbuzz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Some of the areas we launch from only have a few feet of shoreline that is suitable to back up vehicle to and launch.

Please consider someonne else may want to launch and don't leave your vehicle backed into this shoreside slot while you are on the water.

I have seen this more times than I want.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Yakbuzz] #8528088 01/31/13 10:58 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Yakbuzz
Some of the areas we launch from only have a few feet of shoreline that is suitable to back up vehicle to and launch.

Please consider someonne else may want to launch and don't leave your vehicle backed into this shoreside slot while you are on the water.

I have seen this more times than I want.

This is a pet peeve of mine and especially when there is a large parking area. Just a little common courtesy goes a long way.

Just one more cast!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8531857 02/01/13 08:25 PM
K
Kayak-Hooligan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
just a curious thought do we always have to wear our life jacket? sometime it gets annoying or i want to get comfortable that i want to take it off for a couple of hours. can we have it on the yak and not wear it? will there be a fine for not wearing but having one on deck?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8532118 02/01/13 09:21 PM
P
PayneFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
It has to be with you,not on you by law BUT...
I highly recommend you find a lifejacket that is comfortable enough to wear at all times. If you get hit,become unconscious, take a rogue wave you don't have time to get a life jacket or can't because you're not with it. Lives are lost every year and many more are almost lost. Sorry to preach at you but uncomfortable can usually be solved by a different jacket and is a whole lot better than dead. Ask your family. They'll agree with me.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8532879 02/02/13 12:15 AM
K
Kayak-Hooligan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
thanks payne!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8535479 02/02/13 06:01 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Most of what I would say is covered but a few I add from personal experience and opinion,

You are always up close and personal with nature in a kayak and accidents are eventually going to happen to you or someone with you, be prepared to handle these things. Know how to remove a hook and when you should and shouldn't remove one, know basic first aid for puncture and laceration style wounds. Be prepared to tow someone in case their injury is too severe.

ALWAYS have a first aid kit, if you get cut or a hook gets stuck in you when you are paddling you are going to need to be able to stabilize any bleeding before paddling to where you can get help. Styptic powder, gauze and waterproof dressings are 3 major necessities for this.

ALWAYS have something to cut hooks with, I keep 8" heavy wire cutters and they go through a 6/0 heavy wire hardened bass hook like butter.

ALWAYS have something to neutralize stings with, the pain from a bee, hornet or scorpion sting can sap your strength and make it easier for you to exhaust yourself. Having a tube or stick of something designed to neutralize the poison and relieve pain can easily save a day of fishing. I use stingeze and have for more than 15 years.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8535791 02/02/13 07:53 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
dont call sit-ins
SINKS

Last edited by butch sanders; 02/02/13 07:53 PM.
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8537487 02/03/13 04:44 AM
F
fishinpreacher Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
First aide kit
Spare PFD in hatch
Spare paddle
Easy reach knife
Something 2pn
Extra rope
Stakeout pole or anchor.
Communication
Buddy up

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8564999 02/09/13 01:55 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8581458 02/12/13 10:13 PM
K
Kayak_and_Crossbones Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
1. When possible, sit side saddle to reach gear and equipment behind you. Twisting to reach it is a great way to flip the kayak.

2. When changing/adjusting lures, or removing debris/fish from a hook, leave a rods length of line..this will allow you to bring the fish/lure to you instead of going spread eagle to reach it.

3. Have a plan. For example - If you are in an area that is known to contain alligators, cotton mouths (all water), or boar..what are you going to do if confronted by one. This could be as simple as having the ability to quickly disconnect from your anchor and leave. Whether its surviving a night in the woods, flipping your yak, or avoiding dangerous wildlife...have a plan.

4. Tie it down or put it in a dry box.

5. Hope to stay dry, dress to get wet. If you flip the boat, end up sitting in a puddle b/c the scuppers are letting water in, or just have run-off from the paddles onto your lap..there's a good chance you will get at least a little wet. All clothing should drain quickly, and dry quickly. Also take a 2nd set of clothes and a towel with you (even if you leave them in the truck). If you end up swimming, you will be glad you have the change of clothes.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8616373 02/21/13 01:03 AM
R
Razzorduck Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Go barbless as much as possible. I had my share of buried barbs and had a few cut out. Since I fish offshore a lot going barbless eliminates some of the hazards. You will not lose fish without barbs with a tight line.

Razzorduck
Better tighten that drag boy, He's gonna spool ya!
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8624502 02/22/13 10:28 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Once you have a good fish in or near the boat, loosen your drag. If the fish is in the boat and flips back out it could take or break your rod. If it is near the boat and makes a quick run under you it can snap your rod. Thumb your baitcaster or palm your spinning reel.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8650292 03/01/13 05:45 AM
N
ng411 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
This thread is PERFECT for this extremely novice (and probably naive question) -

In regards to registration, am i legally obligated to register my kayak?

I have always been a bank fisherman, so I know absolutely nothing about restrictions and regulations when registering kayaks, or any other vessel for that matter. Gracias amigos!

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive BUT attainable... a perpetual series of occasions for hope." - John Buchan
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: ng411] #8651259 03/01/13 03:19 PM
P
PayneFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: ng411
In regards to registration, am i legally obligated to register my kayak?

The following vessels when on Texas public water are required to have current registration, including when docked, moored, or stored.

All motorized boats, regardless of length;
All sailboats 14 feet in length or longer or any sailboat with an auxiliary engine(s); and
USCG Documented vessels (New see section below).
Exempted vessels Non-motorized canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, or rubber rafts (regardless of length) when paddled, poled, or oared and sailboats under 14 feet in length when windblown. Adding an outboard or trolling motor to one of these types requires titling and registration.
An exempt boat may have previously been titled as a motorboat. You can check whether a title has been issued for free Query Ownership

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8651263 03/01/13 03:20 PM
N
ng411 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Beautiful. Thank you PayneFish!

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive BUT attainable... a perpetual series of occasions for hope." - John Buchan
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: fishinpreacher] #8688206 03/10/13 04:03 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted By: fishinpreacher
First aide kit
Spare PFD in hatch
Spare paddle
Easy reach knife
Something 2pn
Extra rope
Stakeout pole or anchor.
Communication
Buddy up

What is the extra pfd for if you are wearing one? Not being a smartass, genuinely curious.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: wh2004] #8695298 03/12/13 03:56 AM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: wh2004
First aide kit
Spare PFD in hatch
Spare paddle
Easy reach knife
Something 2pn
Extra rope
Stakeout pole or anchor.
Communication
Buddy up

What is the extra pfd for if you are wearing one? Not being a smartass, genuinely curious.

I would guess it would be like a throw bag. There are folks who don't take one and need one (or something) thrown to them when they turtle.

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8697152 03/12/13 06:09 PM
F
fishinpreacher Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Rev TCF
Originally Posted By: wh2004
First aide kit
Spare PFD in hatch
Spare paddle
Easy reach knife
Something 2pn
Extra rope
Stakeout pole or anchor.
Communication
Buddy up

I would guess it would be like a throw bag. There are folks who don't take one and need one (or something) thrown to them when they turtle.

Yep. You can take it to the bank if a group of fellas go paddling someone will forget the PFD. And, yes, great for paddle float when you use a re-entry stirrup. And then the unexpected emergency you may run up on. Be like a boy scout, stay prepared.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: PayneFish] #8811481 04/10/13 06:48 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: PayneFish
From paynespaddlefish.com

Kayak Fishing Etiquette 101: The Rules

If you are paddling near another kayaker, it is courteous to wave. Small talk is optional but almost always appreciated. If you are getting yes/no answers, say have a good day and keep paddling.

If you see someone catch a fish that you do not know, it is ok to congratulate them and engage in small talk. Again, yes/no answers mean keep moving. Do not paddle straight for them and crowd the location they are fishing.

When fishing, if you do not know the people you are fishing near, keep a distance of 50 yards. This changes on some water systems but better safe than sorry.

Observe the direction that the fisherman is moving down the bank. It is not ok to paddle 50 yards ahead of him and start fishing. Try fishing an opposite bank. If you feel you must paddle by it is expected for you to ask if you can slide up the bank a ways and fish. If allowed, make sure it is 100 yards or so up the bank. If you do start catching fish after an allowable pass, it is courteous to invite the angler to come fish that new spot with you.

If you are invited to fish a location with a local, do not give away the spots they show you. If you are the host, it is usually customary to ask the guest to not give away your spots. Set the expectation early.

If fishing in tight quarters, if you must pass between a fisherman and the bank, please ask before going through, especially if he is throwing toward the bank. The best bet is to avoid it as much as possible.

If loading or unloading on a boat ramp, please be quick and efficient. Picnics should not be on the ramp.

If you are loading or unloading with a group, offer to help others take their boats to the water or vehicle.

If you are fishing in a group it is most polite to share what the fish are biting on. If you have additional baits to share, that is a huge plus but not mandatory.

Do not disparage other kayakers if their boat does not meet your standards or brand preference.

Share ideas on rigging and compliment when you see something you like, even if it wouldnt work on your kayak.

Always help a kayaker in distress.

If you are a spot stealer, expect to be labeled as such in the community. We may not post it publicly but we will all know and you will find yourself fishing alone more and more.

Carry extra gear if possible. 360 lights, paddles, PFDs and rope are a good start. You never know who forgot what.

General manners, like saying thank you, go a long way.

People get tight lipped around tournament time. Dont ask. If they want to share their report, they will.

Some folks have sponsors. Some dont. Both sides of the argument need to be ok with each others situation. Dont be pushy.

There is no perfect kayak. Always remember that.

There are no perfect people. Always remember that.

This is just a start to the list and my hope is that others will add to it. Im not the expert that decides these things, just a guy trying to help others know what some of the other folks are thinking and expecting. Feel free to chime in.

Additional submissions:

If it is dark do not leave your vehicle parked at the ramp with the lights on. It blinds other people backing down. Just leave your parking lights on until you pull out.

I do not fish from a Yak, but your advice is spot on...regardless of the type of water craft you use...thanks for a great post!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8819991 04/12/13 07:31 PM
P
PayneFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Thanks!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8829635 04/15/13 11:43 PM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Really nice idea here. Definitely worth sharing.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: District Paddle] #8830816 04/16/13 06:29 AM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
That's a great idea using the cart to assist with loading!

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8831253 04/16/13 01:06 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Concerning storage and transportation of plastic angler kayaks...

Most manufactures recommend you store your yak on it's side.
Climate controlled is best of course. When transporting your yak it is possible to over tighten your strape especially when securing with the ratchet type straps. This can damage your hull. There are a few YouTube videos on this damage and how to avoid.
it.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8842684 04/18/13 11:08 PM
S
spiny norman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Yes you can over tighten the straps. When traveling you should use good rest with saddle designs being best and tie down with three to four points. Two straps across and a line off the bow. You want it snug not tight. I have been storing kayaks on the ceiling upside down with 1 inch straps for 6 years with no damage.

Last edited by spiny norman; 04/18/13 11:34 PM.
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8853918 04/22/13 02:31 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
i use paracord, cinch it tight & then it will blow into place once you get on the road

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8940050 05/16/13 09:35 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
More on unloading at a public ramp.

Unless you trailer or have pickup with bed extender, your kayak is usually not rigged and ready to go when you unload. Best to unload kayak, move it to shore away from ramp, move car or truck from ramp area to parking lot and then haul your gear from car to kayak...in that order. If you unload and then move your car first and leave kayak on ramp someone could back their trailer into your unattended kayak as it is hard to see. I usually take a parking spot on a back row which allows harder to manuever trailers the front row at ramp parking lots that are known to fill up or on weekends.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8940831 05/17/13 01:06 AM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
We've all heard stories of people losing kayaks from roof racks and trailers. Given that most kayaks have some amount of flex and in the event the vehicle or trailer can have a sudden impact, the straps may come loose from their anchor point and the kayak becomes road kill. A couple of ways to prevent this - first, make a hard connection with the strap instead of only a tension connection. I use a high load carbiner to clip through the eyelet end on EACH side of the tie down and the securing point (ie, rack bar or trailer eyelet. The only way for a strap to fail then is to tear apart or have the buckle fail - tying off the loose end of the strap to the opposite strap can help keep a connection in place if the buckle were to fail. In addition, a hard tie off of the kayak to something that CAN'T be torn from the vehicle or trailer (such as rack, etc.) adds the second tier of safety in the event your tie downs fail and the kayak actually gets away. The hard tie offs should be such that the kayak can't make contact with the road if it were to leave the vehicle or trailer....and preferably not get dragged along. This may require a bow and stern connection and/or 2 bow and 2 stern connections to keep the kayak from falling to either side.

Last edited by FishAll50; 05/17/13 01:10 AM.
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9015080 06/08/13 04:19 PM
C
Chuck7700 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Do they make yaks for a lard @ss? 430#

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Chuck7700] #9022687 06/11/13 05:06 AM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Chuck7700
Do they make yaks for a lard @ss? 430#

Yes, the Jackson Big Tuna is rated at 500 pounds actual carrying capacity.

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9024988 06/11/13 10:34 PM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I believe the Malibu X-Factor is one of the highest rated if not the highest at 600lbs. Always consider weight of gear and accessories that you may take along.

Specifications: Length: 14'4"
Width: 33"
Depth: 12"
Weight: 65lbs
Weight Capacity: 600lbs

If you get into the hybrids like NuCanoe, the weight capacity can go as high as 650lbs for a Frontier 12.

Frontier 10

Frontier 12

Length

10'

12'

Width

38-1/2"

41"

Height

12-17"

12-17"

Draft

3-5"

3-5"

Hull Weight

67 lbs.

77 lbs.

Seating Capacity

1-2 ppl.

1-3 ppl.

Max Weight Capacity

500 lbs.

650 lbs.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: RogerB] #9049951 06/19/13 09:27 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Good info from Neumie thumb

Minimum Requirements for Kayaking

There was a recent post made about what the minimum requirements were for kayaking in Texas, so here's a list of said requirements along with the code for citation. If you feel I have misinterpreted or have something incorrect please let me know.

PFD (aka Lifevest) Requirements

You must have a Type I, II, III, or V PFD for each person on the kayak [TWSA Title 4 31.066(a)][CFR Title 33 175.15]
Children under the age of 13 must always wear their PFD [TWSA Title 4 31.066(b)][CFR Title 33 175.15(c)]
Type V PFDs must be used in accordance with the manufacturer's label to be legal [CFR Title 33 175.17(a)]
Inflatable PFDs may only be worn by adults over the age of 16 and weighing more than 80lbs [CFR Title 46 160.076]
All PFDs must be in good, serviceable condition without any cuts, tears, rotten material, etc [CFR Title 33 175.23]
All PFDs must fit each person properly [CFR Title 33 175.21]
Each PFD must be readily accessible to each person [CFR Title 33 175.19]

Distress Signaling Devices - Audible & Visual

On inland waters you are not required to have an audible signaling device [TWSA Title 4 31.073(a)]
On coastal waters you must have an audible signaling device capable of making efficient sound [USC Title 33 Chapter 34 2033(b)]
You are not required to have visual distress signaling devices on inland waters [TWSA Title 4 31.073(a)][CFR Title 33 175.5]
You are required to have USCG approved visual distress signaling devices suitable for night use when kayaking between sunset and sunrise on coastal waters [CFR Title 33 175.115]
Visual distress signaling devices must be readily accessible [CFR Title 33 175.120]
Visual distress signaling devices must be in serviceable condition [CFR Title 33 175.125]

Light Requirements

You must exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather [TWSA Title 4 31.064]
All-around white lights must be visible for 2 miles [USC Title 33 Chapter 34 2022(c)]

Registration and Numbering

Kayaks, regardless of length, do not have to be registered [TWSA Title 4 31.022(c)]
Kayaks, 14 feet or longer, equipped as a sailboat have to be registered and numbered [TWSA Title 4 31.022(c)]
Kayaks, regardless of length, equipped with a motor (electric or gas) have to be registered and numbered [TWSA Title 4 31.021(a)]
If you register and number your kayak know that there are more minimum requirements that apply than listed above

Minimum Requirements Summary:
Lakes and Rivers: PFD and 360 light between sunset and sunrise
Bays and Gulf: PFD, 360 light between sunset and sunrise, sound signaling device, and night use visual signaling device between sunset and sunrise

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: RoadBlock] #9148769 07/20/13 10:16 PM
B
banderapass1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: BassCowboy
I think thats the main problem. I thought it was just my 18 year old daughter and her friends but the more i am around college students its like that whole generation hid behind the door when God handed out the common sense!

And I thought my daughter was the only girl that acted like that!

"WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG FISH"

Texas Tech University,Alumni
Lubbock Christian University,Alumni
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9196952 08/05/13 03:10 AM
B
BassMaster Payne Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Why does it seem that everyone looks down on sit inside kayaks? I fish just fine with mine and catch just as many fish and maneuver just as well as anyone else does with a sit on top.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9201782 08/06/13 02:03 PM
A
AeroAgg06 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Because once water gets inside, you stay wet. It is not that they do not work, but on a 10 hour day of fishing, i would prefer to stay dry

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9204407 08/07/13 01:37 AM
H
Hooky_Looky Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
I haven't bought a kayak yet. I would like to know if you have to pay to get into Lake Lavon parks with a boat ramp. Can you enter the park and launch of shores away from the ramp without paying or does the attendant automatically charge you if they see that you have a kayak?

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Hooky_Looky] #9205173 08/07/13 08:02 AM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dang!lost it
I haven't bought a kayak yet. I would like to know if you have to pay to get into Lake Lavon parks with a boat ramp. Can you enter the park and launch of shores away from the ramp without paying or does the attendant automatically charge you if they see that you have a kayak?

I'm hearing that they are charging everybody that launches. I generally pay anyway because the parks need the money to keep operating.

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9262337 08/26/13 09:31 PM
E
eian121 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
Awesome info!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: BassMaster Payne] #9299021 09/09/13 03:29 AM
S
spiny norman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: BassMaster Payne
Why does it seem that everyone looks down on sit inside kayaks? I fish just fine with mine and catch just as many fish and maneuver just as well as anyone else does with a sit on top.

There is no perfect kayak. There are kayaks better suited to the paddler, There are kayaks better suited to conditions and there are kayaks better suited to the task at hand. There is not and there never will be a kayak that will work for everyone and every situation. A SINK can be just as efficient a fishing maching as a SOT. All depends on how you use it.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9306326 09/11/13 06:45 PM
J
Jeaux Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Finally

SN at least use the proper acronym SIS.
I have never sinked either.

/;-{)
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9334513 09/21/13 03:29 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Be very careful loading and unloading your kayak on top of vehicle on windy days. Its best to park vehicle directly up or downwind. When wind blows near perpendicular your kayak is more likely to be blown off vehicle before you get it strapped down as there is more surface area to be blown. I've had mine blown off of cradles and out of J racks. You're also more likely to be screwed into the ground as your kayak helicopters as you lift it overhead. When this happens its best to just toss it on the ground, jump back, and start over. rolfmao

If you insist on lifting with wind perpendicular, at least load it from the side where kayak blows off the other side of vehicle and not back on to you. Learned the hard way.

Last edited by lconn4; 09/21/13 03:32 AM.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9363842 10/02/13 02:15 AM
Hoghunter36 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Any one who plans on fishing marshes or bays with reeds or high grass needs to always use a flag. Especially during duck season!

There is nothing more scary than hearing a airboat headed your way and praying it doesn't hit you . A flag can save your life!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Hoghunter36] #9397558 10/14/13 08:04 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
For anyone just starting out, learn how to get in and out of your kayak under differnt conditions. Knowing where to put your hands to offset weight transfer, using your paddle to know depth and hardness of bottom where you plan to get out or get in, being extra careful not to slip when using boat ramps. Not taking out fishing equipment or minimizing what you take at first is also advised. Learn to sit side saddle so that you can access stuff that you can't reach from the normal sitting position. Crawl around cockpit to see if you can access front hatch. Knowing what you can do and being confident you can do it goes a long way towards a more enjoyable kayak fishing experience and might save you a dump or two early on.

Lots of good you tube videos under how to launch a kayak.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9416392 10/21/13 03:18 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Really good article here explaining some of the more scientific kayak terminology: http://www.theimpracticalfishermen.com/2013/10/kayak-hull-designs.html

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9560858 12/13/13 02:14 AM
B
BKT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
How fast is a "fast" yak? I'm talking something you'd fish out of with same person and same paddle. Yaks in the same class to an really could be compared. I read comparos or reviews and it seems its always mentioned one is faster than the other but they never say how much faster.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9670432 01/22/14 08:26 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Another great self rescue/re-entry video.

CLICK HERE

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9744958 02/17/14 07:08 AM
F
Fisherman13 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Thinking of getting a kayak soon. I'm curious as to which type of kayak tips the easiest a sit on or sit in? Not worried about getting wet just don't want to go for a swim when I go out. Sit in seems to have lower center of gravity but I would rather hear from people who know. I'm sure it depends on the kayak's design as each company's kayak is a little different. But just in general which is most stable?

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Fisherman13] #9745929 02/17/14 06:21 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
The truth is there are very stable sit in and sit on top kayaks. You will see throughout this forum that we recommend that you test paddle a number of kayaks before you buy one. That would be my suggestion once again. Pick a few kayaks that you think might be of interest and setup a demo with a local dealer where you can try them out before you invest in one.

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: BKT] #9799961 03/06/14 03:23 PM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BKT
How fast is a "fast" yak? I'm talking something you'd fish out of with same person and same paddle. Yaks in the same class to an really could be compared. I read comparos or reviews and it seems its always mentioned one is faster than the other but they never say how much faster.

You know, a fast stock kayak your looking at 5-6 at a short sprint. Some people go for a fast "not as stable kayak" Ie..Adventure,Tarpon, But some go for a slower kayak that's more stable. If you have ever paddled a wide kayak you will understand and "feel" of the difference in speed. It's the effort to move the kayak that can be exhausting at the end of the day. Can you go 7miles a day in any kayak...Maybe....Are there better kayak suited then others for longer a distance/speed...Absolutely...!!!
For example, go get a Native Frontier and take it out on a paddle with a group of people in Ride 135's. There is nothing wrong with the Frontier if your looking for stability. But speed might also be relevant with who your fishing with.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9869770 03/31/14 06:18 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I think I stay a lot drier in mi SIK
that is why I chose sit in, to duck hunt from
carry a large sponge & use that for bailing

I am going to purchase a SOT for fishing this summer, so I can get wet

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9870087 03/31/14 08:03 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I read through all of this and didn't find anything about maintenance. What's the best way to store one, and what's the most practical way to store one (dragging a 13 foot kayak into the house and giving it it's own bedroom isn't going to happen). Anything else need to be done to it regularly to keep it in tiptop shape?

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9870161 03/31/14 08:26 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Store inside away from sunlight; UV rays are bad for plastic.

I have three kayaks and all three are kept differently. My Search 15 is rarely used up here, so I keep it tilted up on its side against the wall in my garage. One kayak is kept right-side up on my trailer due to its hull design, the other is also kept on my trailer but is upside down (the deck is on the cross bars) because it is the best way for that hull for storage and travel.

If you are using straps to hang along the wall or to pull up to the ceiling do not suspend by the handles. Align the straps so that each strap is 1/3 of the way from the ends. (Basically you'll have the front third, then a strap, middle third, next strap, and then last third). When suspending from the ceiling it's usually best to flip the kayak upside down so that when you're looking up to the kayak you'll see the deck. The deck of the kayak is stiffer than the hull and it won't flex as much. Depending on the kayak though you may have to leave it ride -side up. DO NOT HANG FROM THE BOW AND STERN HANDLES! It will cause the kayak to banana or oil can in the Texas heat.

After fishing it's best to rinse off the kayak to remove mud and whatnot that could stain the plactic. After every few trips you can wipe it down with 303 Protectant (a UV Blocker). Also, when storing make sure to open all the hatches to allow the inside to air out, even though the kayak doesn't leak it may get some condensation so it's good to open the hatches.

I tend to replace the bungees when they show signs of wear too.

Last edited by Neumie; 03/31/14 08:27 PM.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9894606 04/09/14 06:00 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
ive taken them to the Manual car wash.
the spray gun makes quick work of all mud, slime, sand and fish scales.
a little 303 like josh says will keep it protected between washes.
mine will see the carwash at least 1 x per yr. lake water and a hand rub most times.
the more scales and slime the better wink

name brand yaks r pretty tuff.
still some brands r tuffer than others IMO.
just dont strap em down too tight or theyll warp or crack.
most manufatures will suggest u store them on their sides or stand them up.
my xfactor lays flat on the floor. usually transport upside down.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9900241 04/11/14 04:46 PM
S
soje Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I left my Cuda 14' sitting right side up, on a Yakima roof rack, with pool noodles on each bar. It sat there for 3 days. When I took it down, there were 2 indentations, that went right through the contours of the hull. Luckily they came out. I have a pulley system, and always hang the yak upside down.

I'm going to cut some tie downs to fit my rack, and yak. My idea is to make something with an s hook, or j hook on each end, make it with shock cord, or wide strap, and make it to a length that when stretched over the boat, it will have the correct tension to hold the boat to the rack. Custom tie downs.

Always be aware of your gear, and its positioning. If you have a rod mounted horizontally, vertically, or extending off the boat anywhere, it will invariably catch a stump, tree, overhand, dock, or bridge, as you pass by, or under. I've almost broke my entire arsenal when going under a dock, with my rods sitting vertically on my crate.

I rarely use a ramp. There's almost always a place where I can drag, or carry my boat, and gear to the bank.

USE SUNSCREN. I've found it better to wear long sleeves, sungloves, neck buff, ettc, Cover as much as possible.

Practice loading configurations that balance the load.

I don't have an anchoring system, but I will soon. The anchor need to have a quick release. A deployed anchor can create havoc in the right situations, and it happens fast, leaving you with few options.

Make sure you can pull your anchor in both directions.

I'm going to try a plow style anchor. I've had a ton of problems with the claw style, or hinged claw style.

like the man says...if you're swimming in the ocean and get bitten by a shark, its not a shark attack. You're in THEIR neighborhood. If you're at home in your shower, turn around and a shark is in there with you...THAT'S a shark attack
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #9966557 05/07/14 09:36 PM
X
xmatador Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
X
A lot of BTBers use the claw or bruce anchor like the one pictured above. If you want to set it up with a quick release, tie your rope to the hole at the end of the anchor (the little round hole at the top of the picture), put the rope next to the length of the shaft and put the zip tie through the big hole on the front of the anchor.

If your anchor gets stuck, pulling hard on your rope will break the zip tie and will allow you to pull the anchor from its rear.

[Linked Image]
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #10120170 07/08/14 07:01 PM
J
JonBlair Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Kayak Wars... I know there is alot of people that participate but how do you go about getting into it? I thought you had to have at minimum of three man teams. Can someone give the barney style version of what needs to be done?

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #10661113 03/02/15 04:40 PM
F
FishDragon Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Easy Question - I'm drilling the first holes in my yak to mount a scotty mount, but am unsure of the hardware needed...what kind of screws are recommended? Any silicone/sealant needed as well?

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: FishDragon] #10688120 03/11/15 08:25 PM
P
Pecros Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: FishDragon
Easy Question - I'm drilling the first holes in my yak to mount a scotty mount, but am unsure of the hardware needed...what kind of screws are recommended? Any silicone/sealant needed as well?

Use Marine Goop as a sealant.

What hardware to use? That depends. Are you mounting it somewhere that you have access to the underside?

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: FishDragon] #10688455 03/11/15 11:02 PM
Y
yakintime Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: FishDragon

Silicone isn't the best option for sealing holes on a polyethylene kayak - Marine Goop is the easiest to find safe sealant to use. Lexel is another good sealant option. Silicone is great for fiberglass and many other materials but does not play as well with polyethylene.

As a rule of thumb......If you can get inside - Nuts (Nylock nuts if possible) and Bolts with backup plates or washers are normally the strongest. Pop rivets and well nuts are reasonable options when you can't get inside to use a nut or backing. Self tapping screws are normally the least strong option though YakAttack has sourced some that are pretty darn strong when mounted properly. I think Scotty mounts accept up to 1/4" fasteners.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #10838259 05/12/15 04:47 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Considering only kayaks designed with fishing in mind, what makes one better than the other?

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: ChuChu1] #10881018 05/29/15 05:53 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Considering only kayaks designed with fishing in mind, what makes one better than the other?

Never mind.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #10881065 05/29/15 06:09 PM
R
River Mongrel Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
This tip can save a trip. Take a small bag of instant light charcoal to make a fire on those extremely cold days. Ya know those days when your hands are so cold they feel like they are on fire..and when your bait dip net freezes as soon as it comes out of the bait tank! Anyways sure makes it easy to get sticks and logs going quickly instead of fighting with wet hands and matches and wood tender!Always carry in a high grade heavy duty ziplock to keep extra dry. And always have a five gallon bucket to wet fire after done.And in case of embers getting in dry grass.Im telling you its the best thing to save a cold day fishing.Not to mention if ya fall in a get wet!

Keep em tight!
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #10944618 06/28/15 01:37 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Lots of great info here and I need to go back and read them all.

If it hasn't been suggested, I'd think a pen/pencil and pad of paper would be a great idea. You never know when you may need to write down a note for yourself, record a boat number, or leave a note to help someone locate you.

Brad

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #11406784 02/11/16 04:08 AM
Y
YakManPro Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Jerry for president!!!! flag

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: YakManPro] #11429329 02/22/16 01:32 AM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: YakManPro
Jerry for president!!!! flag

This country is not ready for that!
I'll stick with MSKFC President for now! texas

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #11541372 04/14/16 03:12 AM
D
Davidj63 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
ok so i know im lazy so no need to point it out!!! and it takes me forever to find online!!! 2015 PA 14' with flippers
1. whistle
2. life vest
3. lights after dark? red and green front and white in the back?
4. flotation device? the seat cushion type?
????
Thank you in advance!!!

2015 PA14
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Davidj63] #11568662 04/27/16 02:34 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Davidj63
ok so i know im lazy so no need to point it out!!! and it takes me forever to find online!!! 2015 PA 14' with flippers
1. whistle
2. life vest
3. lights after dark? red and green front and white in the back?
4. flotation device? the seat cushion type?
????
Thank you in advance!!!

You do not need the red and green lights only the 360 light on the back. Only floatation devices needed is a life vest. I heard you don't need the whistle but I've never checked because I'll always carry one. Just make sure it works after it gets wet because a lot don't. Even the water ones.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #11781167 08/17/16 02:34 AM
M
Mike87angler Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Started kayak fishing about a year ago, and I fell in love with it immediately. I've definitely learned alot over the year and have seen me become a better Fisherman. Thanks for the tips.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: soje] #11781178 08/17/16 02:38 AM
M
Mike87angler Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
I like the yakattack anchor trolley.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #12423987 09/12/17 06:28 PM
C
Cowboy KJ Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Is everyone in agreeance that we just need the 360 light on the back? The state website reads like we need the red and green lights too PLUS a lantern. Any law enforcement reading this?

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #12424112 09/12/17 08:06 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
I compiled this list awhile back. The TPWD code references are up to date as of Sept 1st 2017. I think the federal regulations are still correct as well.

PFD (aka Lifevest) Requirements
  • You must have a Type I, II, III, or V PFD for each person on the kayak [TWSA Title 4 31.066(a)][CFR Title 33 175.15]
  • Children under the age of 13 must always wear their PFD [TWSA Title 4 31.066(b)][CFR Title 33 175.15(c)]
  • Type V PFDs must be used in accordance with the manufacturer's label to be legal [CFR Title 33 175.17(a)]
  • Inflatable PFDs may only be worn by adults over the age of 16 and weighing more than 80lbs [CFR Title 46 160.076]
  • All PFDs must be in good, serviceable condition without any cuts, tears, rotten material, etc [CFR Title 33 175.23]
  • All PFDs must fit each person properly [CFR Title 33 175.21]
  • Each PFD must be readily accessible to each person [CFR Title 33 175.19]

Distress Signaling Devices - Audible & Visual
  • On inland waters you are not required to have an audible signaling device [TWSA Title 4 31.073(a)]
  • On coastal waters you must have an audible signaling device capable of making efficient sound [USC Title 33 Chapter 34 2033(b)]
  • You are not required to have visual distress signaling devices on inland waters [TWSA Title 4 31.073(a)][CFR Title 33 175.5]
  • You are required to have USCG approved visual distress signaling devices suitable for night use when kayaking between sunset and sunrise on coastal waters [CFR Title 33 175.115]
  • Visual distress signaling devices must be readily accessible [CFR Title 33 175.120]
  • Visual distress signaling devices must be in serviceable condition [CFR Title 33 175.125]

Light Requirements
  • You must exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather [TWSA Title 4 31.064]
  • All-around white lights must be visible for 2 miles [USC Title 33 Chapter 34 2022(c)]

Registration and Numbering
  • Kayaks, regardless of length, do not have to be registered [TWSA Title 4 31.022(c)]
  • Kayaks, 14 feet or longer, equipped as a sailboat have to be registered and numbered [TWSA Title 4 31.022(c)]
  • Kayaks, regardless of length, equipped with a motor (electric or gas) have to be registered and numbered [TWSA Title 4 31.021(a)]
  • If you register and number your kayak know that there are more minimum requirements that apply than listed above

Minimum Requirements Summary:
Lakes and Rivers: PFD and 360 light between sunset and sunrise
Bays and Gulf: PFD, 360 light between sunset and sunrise, sound signaling device, and visual signaling device suitable for night time use between sunset and sunrise

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #12814878 07/03/18 04:43 PM
J
JohnButte Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but as I haven't bought a kayak yet i'm gonna ask anyway. When throwing one in the back of a truck, what do you do to tie it down? A pic would be very helpful as I'm a bit slow and a visual learner.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: JohnButte] #12835535 07/20/18 06:18 PM
D
DrewTX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted By: JohnButte
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but as I haven't bought a kayak yet i'm gonna ask anyway. When throwing one in the back of a truck, what do you do to tie it down? A pic would be very helpful as I'm a bit slow and a visual learner.

I don't have any pictures but I use 3 small ratchet straps to tie mine down. Be VERY careful to not over tighten them. you can stress the plastic and warp or even crack the hull on your kayak. Depending on the length and weight of your kayak, you might consider a tailgate extender. Just a bar that goes into your receiver hitch and T's at the end for extra support.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: JohnButte] #12938706 10/19/18 02:23 PM
C
Clay34 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: JohnButte

I would avoid ratchet straps like the plague. Snug is good, too tight and the boat is damaged. I personally use these which are a cam strap style strap that also has a locking feature. I found a very good deal on them on clearance and snapped up a couple of sets. They have been working great on the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVmtomwdrG8

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #13153137 05/13/19 10:44 PM
D
deerfeeder Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
In Fish ZoMbiE's posts I see some rather large bodies of water. Are they of a lake or the ocean? Y'all mention ocean kayaks, how far out do you take them? I'm not interested in the ocean per se, but would that be the rough equivalent of Amistad or Falcon?

Also, since there is no canoe section here, I'm actually more interested in a canoe. I had one years ago that was made by Meyers and since I'm going back to the vicinity of Amistad am considering getting another one. I know that you can actually stand up in these and not spill. Not impossible to capsize it, but you really have to work at it.

I'm assuming the regs mentioned above for kayaks will also apply to canoes.

Oh for you plus size guys, the 15 footer is good for 705 lbs.and weighs 67 lbs. https://www.meyersboat.com/#/sportspal/models/S-15
The 14' weighs 58 lbs and is good for 650lbs.

Standing starts at 5:59 in the video.

So for you experienced folks, would this be viable for Amistad or Falcon, especially if the wind is up.

Thanks.

Non Sibi Sed Patriae -- "Not for self, but for country."

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #14137212 09/21/21 10:53 PM
T
Time4Bourbon Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Haven't read every single word in each thread (though everything I've read is 100% great advice) - but, for novices, learn how to use your paddle. No joke. Not just a "kayak" stroke, but as a tool to navigate different scenarios. Especially in a SOT, and double especially (shall we go triple?) if you fish / paddle in rivers & current. Invest in an appropriate paddle for your type of kayak, and ensure you maintain it as much as the vessel itself.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #14148704 10/03/21 01:38 AM
S
Surfwalker Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Thank you guys for all the time and effort you put into this. I am totally new to kayaking and there is so much here to learn and things I had never thought of. Great job and thank you.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #14382409 06/01/22 06:35 PM
H
Harmon4fishing Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
Great information, especially for a person who is new to fishing and kayaking. Would anyone advise a person new to both to try fishing from a kayak? I'm also, considering the kayak for exercise/fun on the water.

Last edited by Harmon4fishing; 06/01/22 07:21 PM.
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Harmon4fishing] #14382711 06/01/22 11:59 PM
S
S5Locks.com Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I'm new to kayaking. Been fishing all my life. I'm having a great time so yes, fish and kayak!

Bill Smith
Owner/S5 Coupler Locks
S5Locks.com
"Lock it and Leave it!"
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Harmon4fishing] #14382924 06/02/22 06:46 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by Harmon4fishing
Great information, especially for a person who is new to fishing and kayaking. Would anyone advise a person new to both to try fishing from a kayak? I'm also, considering the kayak for exercise/fun on the water.

I would advise someone new to both fishing and kayaking to do one at a time at first... maybe fish from the bank or off a dock a few times while paddling the kayak without your fishing gear. Too many things can go wrong if you try to do both without experience with either... lots of good videos of how to paddle..

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Neumie] #14635349 02/19/23 03:06 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
One of the main reasons I like a pedal kayak is to get rid of the registration requirement. What a bunch of bunk! Any boat using an electric motor should be exempt. Just the government nibbling more of my income. Almost as bad as asking $7 to launch at a boat ramp at state parks.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide