Forums59
Topics1,039,215
Posts13,961,057
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: Jacob] #8494571 01/24/13 03:09 PM
G
Grainraiser Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
G
I always felt being a guide has to be one of the hardest jobs in the world. Just like a comedian you have to produce each and every day regardless who you are working with. Word of mouth is everything in that business and you don't produce you will be out of business pretty quick. They have the greatest office in the world but I can see it being a pressure cooker job.

Reggie

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: Grainraiser] #8494913 01/24/13 04:11 PM
S
SlabSeeker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
In my opinion, it's one of those jobs that it takes money to make money. What that means is people are naturally attracted to nicer things. So the person who has the best advertisement, posts the best reports and have the nicest boat and rods etc... Usually will do better than someone with a 2k-3k boat. And I am speaking from someone who has a lot of friends that are guides. Which are all good fishermen. I think the bottom line is customers need to feel comfortable about spending their money and they typically don't mind if they are getting their moneys worth. Think about it this way, all guides are generally about the same as far as pricing, the deal breaker is what are they spending their money on.

Professional Crappie Guide
www.slabz-on-deck.com
Call me for your next fishing adventure!!

Proud member of Prostaff Team,
www.constantpursuitoutfitters.com
www.dansjigs.com

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: Jacob] #8495813 01/24/13 07:53 PM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Last thing I want to do is get a war started but the laws is you must have at least a OUPV do hire on corps water. The state of Texas has adopted the fed regs under safe water act. This is from the corps web site. A OUPV will let you cary up to 6 paying custmers on your boat at one time.

What will happen if I do work without getting a permit from the Corps?

Performing unauthorized work in waters of the United States or failure to comply with the terms of a valid permit can have serious consequences. You would be in violation of federal law and could face stiff penalties, including fines and/or requirements to restore the area.

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: Jacob] #8495885 01/24/13 08:10 PM
C
clay83 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I tried my hand at the crappie guide gig, I enjoyed most of it. I make a good living in the oil field so for me it wasn't about making a pile of money. I made some money and bought some upgrades for my boat and equipment. I was successful on most trips over the few years I was guiding, the few that didn't go well I offered them a 2nd trip. Most people you deal with are fairly understanding and you can enjoy the time on the water with them. That being said you will no doubt have a few that are a pain in the rear from the minute they get in YOUR boat. If you can't go out 8 out of 10 times and catch your own 25 fish limit the guiding is not for you, I was very hard on myself about sending people home without a limit or close to it. Some people are happy with paying money to catch some and learn alot but most will not be interested in learning but just taking home a cooler full of fish. Every single trip is different and learning how to adjust to weather, fish changing in a matter of minutes, and clients attitudes and so on is the hardest part. Plus, if you are good and can go catch a limit of fish somewhere between 25-100 fish a day, then the work begins. Skinning 50-100 fish everyday by yourself is a job in itself! I decided I made enough money without guiding so I stopped booking trips and I'm fishing to enjoy my time on the water. It's not a job for everyone and of all the guides out there most would tell you there are much easier ways to make a living but they still wake up and do it EVERYDAY. Good luck if you decide to take that step and I wish you the best.

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: Jacob] #8496149 01/24/13 09:16 PM
C
Crazy Angler Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
My hats off to guides as well as tackle manufactures the rising cost of fuel and materials never stops! In manufacturing you get hit from all directions as well, I thought when we ran 250,000 baits that 1st year we were busy, now with 2 more workers will run over 2,000,000 baits this season. Basically if you spend 20,000 a year guiding or manufacturing the next season you could easily Spend 100,000 to clear 50,000 in either business it takes a bunch of capital and hard work !

My Ma'ma Told Me Fish'in was like a box of Chocolates!

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: leanin post] #8496192 01/24/13 09:28 PM
J
jdsharp Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: leanin post
The only reason for the license is so they can get thier hand in your pocket .it has nothing to do with safety, ethics, legality ect. its the state of texas , taking money from you, like the mafia, before you can do business in this "free country" .

Would you rather have a bunch of mandatory safety/legal classes that were put on by either gov't agencies or politically-connected no bid companies?

The state spends a lot of money on the fisheries. Guides have a much higher impact on the fisheries, per capita, than the average fisherman. It's a fair premium over the regular fishing license.

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: jdsharp] #8496371 01/24/13 10:18 PM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: jdsharp
The only reason for the license is so they can get thier hand in your pocket .it has nothing to do with safety, ethics, legality ect. its the state of texas , taking money from you, like the mafia, before you can do business in this "free country" .

Would you rather have a bunch of mandatory safety/legal classes that were put on by either gov't agencies or politically-connected no bid companies?

The state spends a lot of money on the fisheries. Guides have a much higher impact on the fisheries, per capita, than the average fisherman. It's a fair premium over the regular fishing license.
I personally think it's nothing more than them putting a hand in the guides pockets. Most guides I know do more for the lake, its environment, and the community that your average everyday fisherman. Just more bureaucratic red tape and taxes and fees. soap

Bobby Barnett

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: jdsharp] #8496825 01/25/13 12:15 AM
L
leanin post Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L

the state already does that to me for my HVAC license. I have to pay a goon to give a class every year, on things ive known for years.
Do you know exactly where the money collected from guide licenses actually goes? or do you just assume it goes to the fisheries., Have you ever heard of the term.,., government appropriations". ? The money collected for guide licenses can be used anyway they see fit, and may not go to the lakes at all.
People with attitudes such as yours who believe that its ok for the government to charge its citizens for everything they see fit, including the right to work, has been a ongoing conditioning of the general publics attitudes, that is slowly turning us into a dictatorship type, oppressed society.
Why should I have to pay my government for the right to work in my country?

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: Jacob] #8497005 01/25/13 12:51 AM
Jacob Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Well, I'm not saying I'm cut out for being a guide, but I have to handle the attitudes of middle/high school kids everyday. My whole job depends on getting teenagers to do exactly what they should at all times. Talk about high stress!!!

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: Jacob] #8497068 01/25/13 01:07 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Let's stick to the original question.

I don't know how much guides make, but it's not enough. If you really, really love to fish, and I mean love it so much you will fish on your day off, then you have what it takes to be a guide. Otherwise, in a few short months or years, you will no longer enjoy going fishing. It will become a job of drudgery, and you will decide you no longer like fishing. Guiding part time would be the best way to keep it from becoming a job.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: Jacob] #8497264 01/25/13 01:49 AM
P
piscatur non solum piscator Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Two thirds of the earth is covered with water. Guides are a great and inexpensive way to catch fish without owning a boat. Limited regulations ensure competition and competition benefits everyone. Global warming will make Canada a more comfortable place to live.

Remember the Golden Rule...do unto others as you would have done unto you. And...Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Take those two to heart and you can earn a living doing just about anything.

Now what does all this have to do with catching crappie? Don't know but it's an interesting thread.

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #8497654 01/25/13 02:59 AM
D
dln1957 Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Leanin Post, you're businessman right? Texas doesn't have a state income tax. So we have fees. How else do you pay for services - and don't say we don't have any.

Last edited by dln1957; 01/25/13 03:00 AM.
Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: Jacob] #8497910 01/25/13 03:48 AM
B
Brushlunker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
BigCrappie is top notch. Just putting it out there. Chris, Lane, Chuck and the whole bunch. Best guided trip I even went on. Oh and did I mention we caught fish. I knew how to catch em, just not on that lake. I know now..............

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: leanin post] #8498858 01/25/13 02:54 PM
J
jdsharp Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J

the state already does that to me for my HVAC license. I have to pay a goon to give a class every year, on things ive known for years.
Do you know exactly where the money collected from guide licenses actually goes? or do you just assume it goes to the fisheries., Have you ever heard of the term.,., government appropriations". ? The money collected for guide licenses can be used anyway they see fit, and may not go to the lakes at all.
People with attitudes such as yours who believe that its ok for the government to charge its citizens for everything they see fit, including the right to work, has been a ongoing conditioning of the general publics attitudes, that is slowly turning us into a dictatorship type, oppressed society.
Why should I have to pay my government for the right to work in my country?

Yes I have heard of appropriations. True an individual guide's license may not go to the lake they fish, but the license fees go towards conservation efforts 100%, I'm ok with that. This is supported by the quote from TPWD below.

My argument is not "that its ok for the government to charge its citizens for everything they see fit, including the right to work." My argument is totally an apolitical view of the economics of public goods. Guides (good ones at least) have a higher per capita effect on fisheries than the average fisherman and should pay for that effect on the fisheries. I know when I've used guides, I've caught a lot more fish than without them. Their expertise and incredible knowledge really helps fisherman put a lot more meat in the freezer than without the guides.

I agree with Ken Gaby, let's get back on subject. I would be happy to continue this discussion over PM if you would like.

From TPWD:

Did you know that 100% of your hunting and fishing license fees go to conservation?

It's true, 100% of your hunting and fishing license fees go to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department for on-the-ground conservation efforts that help make Texas one of the best places in the country to hunt and fish. Fish stocking, wildlife management, habitat restoration, land conservation, and Texas Game Wardens are just some of the initiatives funded in part by your license fees. Thank you for your investment in Texas' natural resources. For more information on the types of licenses available, where you can purchase a license, hunting and fishing rules and regulations, and much more, explore the links below.

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? [Re: Jacob] #8749793 03/25/13 09:46 PM
L
Larry in Tawakoni Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Good advice here.. nothing hardly to becoming a guide. But its not easy. If you have a nest egg to get started or can start part time your ok...and have the boat and equipment already because you love to fish....
If you had to buy a boat.. equipment, tackle... just to start a guide business... you'd never make it!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide