Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kayak lights for night fishing #8371614 12/24/12 03:31 AM
Shaun Russell Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
This next summer I'm going to turn on my night fishing game. I'm thinking about getting lights on my kayak. Has anyone here put lights on there kayak like these?
http://www.supernovafishinglights.com/kayak-lights

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8371768 12/24/12 04:17 AM
F
FishR2099 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I just use a Brinkmann Starfire II halogen submersible light, works great and cheap. Downside is it is a juice hog.

--------

Fish ON!
Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8371989 12/24/12 06:25 AM
F
Fishing Fedora Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Topcat, or Wildcat lighting has a similar kit (maybe both). I would go with green.

Remember that you are required to have a 360 light to fish at night.

Total Number of Fish Species Caught: 81 (19 on the fly)
States Fished: 7
Countries Fished: 6
Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8372133 12/24/12 12:16 PM
Shaun Russell Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Thanks guys I was hoping to be able to see someone's kayak that was rigged out with these type if lights.

Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8372148 12/24/12 12:29 PM
J
JOED214 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I had LEDs on my Mantaray. Sure I have some pics of them somewhere.

Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8372178 12/24/12 12:54 PM
Shaun Russell Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Cool Thanks ArmadilloMojo.

Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8373133 12/24/12 06:52 PM
E
ebk06 Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Shaun the Cuda in two of those pics on Dez's website is mine. I have a few pic uploaded. Ill post them tonight. Chris Coufal has them too and may have pic to show you. SuperNova lights are hands down the best and install if beyond easy. Dez is a great guy too with very fast turnaround on orders.

Too bad you didnt ask about them at N vs. S tourney, we would have gladly blinded you guys with them and got a head start fishing that day LOL.

Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8373197 12/24/12 07:20 PM
T
Txwhitacre Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Joe king and I are still experimenting with the illuminati series kayaks. They glow lasts 4 hours. But if light up the inside it glows like Chinese lantern.

With lights inside

With fully charged glow.

Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8373847 12/24/12 10:09 PM
C
Chris Coufal Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Shaun.......I run SuperNova's on my boat and love them. Dez can make you whatever you need in the way of length, color and switches! He will ensure you get exactly what you want the first time and stand behind his product. Best of all he is local and just a few minutes down the road from you. Give him a call and He will help you get exactly what you need....I promise. My last overnight tourny I placed 2nd place in.....and I really believe it was due to me being able to see my line. I was running the blue lights with Finn's night-glow braid and it made for a deadly combo!

IMO....the blue is better for night vision than the green. The blue still attracted lots of bait around my boat, but was easier on my eyes.

-Chris-

Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8373857 12/24/12 10:13 PM
C
Chris Coufal Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
BTW.....if you look at the last pic, you can see that each small round chip actually has 3 individual LED lights. Those circuits/chips are placed every 3/4" and run the entire length. I use 18" strips on each side of my boat. I positioned them where they are not visible from the cockpit and I can only see the reflective glow. It does not hurt my night vision at all. They are BRIGHT and well worth the investment. Also he uses a 3M backed strip and also supplies an adhesion promoter to guarantee they don't come off until you want them off. His kit comes with all of the wiring and switches so you can complete the install.

Last edited by Chris Coufal; 12/24/12 10:15 PM.

-Chris-

Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8822977 04/13/13 09:23 PM
W
WCL - Lighting Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Some of this information is really good...

This is Don from Wildcat Lighting... the creator of the ones everyone seems to be trying to copy...

We DO NOT want to discourage anyone from doing their own LED lighting systems. There are kits available from many people that have discovered that they can make a few bucks doing so...

Just a few pointers for you industrious DIY's...

1. Always put a fuse at the battery - there have been many unfortunate incidents causing melt-downs where and when you don't want them...and make sure you use the right fuse for your circuit. NEVER transport the Kayak with the battery in it...
Always put the battery in a non-conductive container... in Kayaks a nylon Fanny Pack works great if it DOES NOT HAVE A METAL ZIPPER...! The metal zipper can cause a short. Keep the battery away from lures pliers tackle etc... that can cause a short.

2. DO NOT put your lights below the waterline as they will not be as effective and they will be subject to a great deal of abrasion. Placing the light a few inches or more above the waterline is much more functional. Most bait fish run within a few feet to 30 feet below the water line. If the lights you have selected are the correct frequency and of sufficient brightness the ripples in the water will act as prism's sufficient to attract fish from a much greater distance to you. The opacity(clarity) of the water in most Texas waters will seriously hinder underwater lights and also lights that are not the correct frequency... see the technical paper that I wrote on our home page - technical section called "Understanding Fish" which address's how light works in relationship to fishing. For inland waters the best color is green (ideally 5.22um). Actually the best frequency is in the UV spectrum - but that is proprietary to our new lighting system - which is tremendously greater in all types of water and is in the actual spectrum fish use. We expect that in very short order people will begin to attempt to copy it as well... good luck.

3. For Kayaks and many other boats, it is important that you use the correct adhesive. We use a special type that we have learned over the years that stays attached in virtually all conditions. It should meet the following criteria; UV resistant, salt resistant, oil and chemical resistant and of course is effective for both the led strip material and the material of the boat where it is to be used or it could cause you a lot of headaches.

4. Make sure that the wire that you or your tech uses as well as all materials such as heat-shrink tubing, connectors, etc are UV, chemical and salt resistant or they will not last long in the marine environment. We get in a lot of "repair jobs" from so called technicians out there that really have no idea what they are doing.

5. Plan your installation BEFORE you start... take some blue painters tape and place it where you plan to put your lights... make sure you have sufficient leads (wire) to be able to "fish" and connect it... know where your going to drill before you start the job... (I can not remember how many have drilled into places that were tanks, other wiring, structural points etc.) You should also know that the gauge of wire your going to use is right for the load and the distances required for the job to be done right.

There is no need what so ever to to put 16ft of light on a kayak... the right lights, if 1-3 feet long on each side is more than adequate for a vessel that moves under 10mph average...

Those of you who have our lights know that the bait fish can and will follow you in a kayak. Power boats are different because each place they move to is as though they are starting over again upon arrival to their new location hence, need to attract more fish from a greater area.

If any of you are doing "self installation" please feel free to give us a call and we will be glad to help you through it... We have been doing it a lot longer than anyone else and might be able to help.

We would much rather help you do it right ... we feel that you may have friends that are not as industrious as yourself and just might refer them to us.

We have schematics and instructions available on our web site and you should feel free to use them if they will help.

DA

Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: WCL - Lighting] #8823273 04/13/13 11:38 PM
Shaun Russell Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: WCL - Lighting
Some of this information is really good...

This is Don from Wildcat Lighting... the creator of the ones everyone seems to be trying to copy...

We DO NOT want to discourage anyone from doing their own LED lighting systems. There are kits available from many people that have discovered that they can make a few bucks doing so...

Just a few pointers for you industrious DIY's...

1. Always put a fuse at the battery - there have been many unfortunate incidents causing melt-downs where and when you don't want them...and make sure you use the right fuse for your circuit. NEVER transport the Kayak with the battery in it...
Always put the battery in a non-conductive container... in Kayaks a nylon Fanny Pack works great if it DOES NOT HAVE A METAL ZIPPER...! The metal zipper can cause a short. Keep the battery away from lures pliers tackle etc... that can cause a short.

2. DO NOT put your lights below the waterline as they will not be as effective and they will be subject to a great deal of abrasion. Placing the light a few inches or more above the waterline is much more functional. Most bait fish run within a few feet to 30 feet below the water line. If the lights you have selected are the correct frequency and of sufficient brightness the ripples in the water will act as prism's sufficient to attract fish from a much greater distance to you. The opacity(clarity) of the water in most Texas waters will seriously hinder underwater lights and also lights that are not the correct frequency... see the technical paper that I wrote on our home page - technical section called "Understanding Fish" which address's how light works in relationship to fishing. For inland waters the best color is green (ideally 5.22um). Actually the best frequency is in the UV spectrum - but that is proprietary to our new lighting system - which is tremendously greater in all types of water and is in the actual spectrum fish use. We expect that in very short order people will begin to attempt to copy it as well... good luck.

3. For Kayaks and many other boats, it is important that you use the correct adhesive. We use a special type that we have learned over the years that stays attached in virtually all conditions. It should meet the following criteria; UV resistant, salt resistant, oil and chemical resistant and of course is effective for both the led strip material and the material of the boat where it is to be used or it could cause you a lot of headaches.

4. Make sure that the wire that you or your tech uses as well as all materials such as heat-shrink tubing, connectors, etc are UV, chemical and salt resistant or they will not last long in the marine environment. We get in a lot of "repair jobs" from so called technicians out there that really have no idea what they are doing.

5. Plan your installation BEFORE you start... take some blue painters tape and place it where you plan to put your lights... make sure you have sufficient leads (wire) to be able to "fish" and connect it... know where your going to drill before you start the job... (I can not remember how many have drilled into places that were tanks, other wiring, structural points etc.) You should also know that the gauge of wire your going to use is right for the load and the distances required for the job to be done right.

There is no need what so ever to to put 16ft of light on a kayak... the right lights, if 1-3 feet long on each side is more than adequate for a vessel that moves under 10mph average...

Those of you who have our lights know that the bait fish can and will follow you in a kayak. Power boats are different because each place they move to is as though they are starting over again upon arrival to their new location hence, need to attract more fish from a greater area.

If any of you are doing "self installation" please feel free to give us a call and we will be glad to help you through it... We have been doing it a lot longer than anyone else and might be able to help.

We would much rather help you do it right ... we feel that you may have friends that are not as industrious as yourself and just might refer them to us.

We have schematics and instructions available on our web site and you should feel free to use them if they will help.

DA

Great information Don thanks for sharing.

Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8823666 04/14/13 02:25 AM
P
PayneFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Shaun, I know you have some lights for at least one of the boats but to let folks know, I have an upcoming comparison with some different LED lights for kayaks. Look for it in early May.

Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8823970 04/14/13 04:02 AM
Shaun Russell Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Yea Chris, I got a great deal for a set from TACKLE SMITHthat I couldn't pass up. Are you going to have your at the G2G? We can compare a few side by side. That would be cool.

Re: Kayak lights for night fishing [Re: Shaun Russell] #8823973 04/14/13 04:04 AM
B
Big redneck Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
On this go around, I'm trying a more tempory setup to avoid drilling the holes. My sons Perception has them inside and out, but they've been damaged once bumping into a dock pole by accedent and a stump. They do work awesome and it is fun to play with the bait fish. When the lights are on, within 20 minutes or sooner the screen will be blacked out in bait, when drifting I will turn them off for a few and back on to see how long it takes for them to catch up. I know a tempory setup will take a few more minutes to set up each trip, but I may end up drilling a couple again in the long run. It's a great way to go for bait and power boats to see ya, some still get close to look, I think they just wanna see what the UFO was on the water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide