Forums59
Topics1,038,973
Posts13,956,701
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 #7822922 07/31/12 04:00 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
2012  " Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II "

When: 8/11/2012 "Saturday"

Where: Lake Lavon 

Time: Check-in and Registration starts at 5:30AM-7:00 AM at the Walmart parking lot 2050 N Highway 78, Wylie, TX . Ill be in a Blue 4 Door Toyota Tacoma w/ my boat behind it glowing green please have correct change. Make it all easy on me please. 

Start Fishing: 6:30AM 

End Fishing: 11am @ the Public Cove Side Ramp in East Fork Park Map is Below ( You must be in line to weigh fish at 11:15, so time it well. )

MAP:

After you weigh in your fish (East Fork Park cove @ the public ramp- cove side) the results and winners will be announced and drawing will be done for prizes. Cash winners will follow me outside of the park to redeem cash winnings.

Walmart Below: Check-in Here. 

Tournament Rules are as follows: 

Lures & Live Bait are Allowed

Fishing From: Bank, Float Tubes, Kayaks, Boats "Are" Allowed.

Trailer your boat or fish any bank, anywhere on the Lake Lavon you want within the laws. 

Everyone is Allowed to fish this- beginners to guides. 

This is a fun tourney. Please don't enter this just to stomp on everyone. Mainly for fun, but to bonus on some cash and prizes too.

Tournament Options:

Adults and Jr. Anglers are all the same price.

$20 Heaviest (1-7) Fish Stringer of "Crappie" (Black or White Crappie)

-$10 Heaviest (1) Single Fish "Black Crappie" *****(Optional) 

-$10 Heaviest (1) Single Fish "White Crappie" *****(Optional) 

*(Optional) means you do not have to pay for that category, It's just a way to win more money.

Rules:

Crappie: Must be 10 inches or longer (ALIVE) Any Dead Fish entered will be a 1 lb penalty (must at least be at least breathing). Anything a hair under 10 inches will be disqualified and you will be "DISQUALIFIED". Match your measuring tape or ruler with mine before you go fishing. Game Wardens will attend the weigh in.

Heaviest Stringer of One (1) to Seven (7) fish will be weighed for "Heaviest Crappie Stringer".

Give each angler 50 ft of fishing space unless the other captain agree to come closer.

No guns

-Tournament check in ends at 7 AM unless you contact me prior to the starting time.

-Entering this Tourney gives cause to checking all live wells and possible coolers in vehicles to make sure you didnt forget your fish from the last trip, or something.

You can start "establishing" a fishing spot after you check in. You may start fishing at 6:30 AM 

All people must stop fishing at 11 AM and head directly to check in location at East Fork Park.

All fish entered in the Tournament must be alive. Or at least its gills still moving. Check on them throughout the tourney and Baby them big girls!

No exceptions. If you are late you are disqualified. Time it well. 11:15 AT&T Satalite Time ( The time on my iPhone) is the cut off time. At East Fork Park Cove Side Ramp.

No one is responsible for damages to any person or property, but yourself. Hide all stuff out of site in your car and lock it.

There is no minimum age of participant's.

The consumption of Alcohol & Drugs is NOT permitted and against the law in this location. 

This is a at will tournament and you may quit at anytime but your entry fee is forfeited. 

Live Bait, Lures, Flies : IS ALLOWED.

You may keep your (25) fish limit of Crappie and turn in your best fish for the category, at weigh in.

You can team up with persons in the boat, or fish individual.***** Meaning if there are 4 persons in the boat, you can throw them all in one sack, or enter 4 diff sacks. If one person in the boat wants to team up, everyone in the boat will have to be a team.

If you see or think someone is cheating somehow, call me ASAP.

Everyone must wear their life jackets while main engine is in gear.

No one can give you fish, you must catch them on your own.

Cheaters will be publicly announced on the forums.

All "Optional" categories are for bonus wins. You "Do Not" have to enter those if you don't want to. 

Payout will be 1st place to 6th place 100% of entry money with 1-10 entries on Heaviest Stringer category. The payout scale will be made after the last entry.

Only 1st place wins on "Optional" Categories 100% of the money entered into that category.

Have fun and be safe. Post all questions in this thread for all to see.

Im doing this on my own time.  It would not be fair for me to enter, so I am sitting this one out and just watching yall have fun! Write down my number and if you have boat issues or anything during the tourney, call me and Ill come get you.

Bass Pro Shop will probably do something cool again as well.

Anyone wanting to promote thier jigs, lures, or give out free oil changes or what not, are welcome. Please PM me with donations.

(In the event of rain or non fishable weather, the event will be reset for August 25 th. If that gets rained out as well, it will be moved to September 1st.

Tips:

Fish 12-16 ft of water on average. 18 max depth on brush. Fish are holding 10-14 ft brush that sits in 14 ft is magic sometimes. 15-16 ft is ok but fish will be in 12-14 ft of it most of the time. I have been finding the big ones hugging the bottom. It's luck to land on a pod of 13 plus inch fish. They move around a lot at night so the next day, your honey hole a couple days ago will be dry. Make sure you have at least 20 things on gps in those depths, and u should do well.

Timber is popping out 2-5 fish per tree in deep water. Again fish are holding at 10-14 ft but scattered through the timber.

Black Crappie are shallow. You have to stump and tree hop in 5-8 ft of water in protected coves. Or brush in that depth would be killer. Long rods are important while doing this. If you bump the structure with the trolling motor or even boat, you probably spooked the whole school. The blacks are targetable in the shallows. You will still catch them randomly while deeper fishing. Blacks weigh more than whites, so if you pattern the black out, fish them hard. 7 13-15 inch black crappie would win it.

Fish 13 inches and plus are what you are looking for. I, personally, would only be looking to box 14-15 inchers to win the money. ( I'm talking about white crappie now) now I'm sure you have heard me say minnows will win it. You die hard jiggers might need to bring some minnows and just bite the bullet. Two people, I recommend you buy 1/2 pound of minnows per person. If I was was in the tourney, I'd get a lb and use all the bigger ones first. If you can net up some thread fin shad and keep them alive in the bait tanks, 4-6 inchers, all you will get is bigger crappie. Great great bait!

I Carolina rig them.

8 lb line
6 floro for leader
1oz slip weight
Two way swivel
Size #4 hook or #6. -smaller one when fish are slow to bite.

I slip the weight on the main line first.

Tie on the swivel

Add 5 inches of 6 lb fluorocarbon as leader and attach hook. 3-5 inches on leader. No longer unless fishing standing timber or bridges where there are not a lot of snags the minnow can get into.

Don't stay in one spot for more than 15 mins and no bite. I usually move after two to five minutes an no bite. If you anchor on the brush, you just spooked the school. They are shallow right now. Water is very clear in some areas. Plenty of structure to fish for everyone on this lake. There is no way I can fish more than 20-30 way points in one day. There is no reason to, unless they are slow. As long as you are in this depths, you should do very well. Hold that minnow as still as possible is the depth they are at and you should have fun. Bring lots of hooks and weights. If your not loosing gear, your not catching fish. I have a bunch of pre made, by me, leaders I can attach quick, without having to re rig the whole setup. Don't let your line hang at an angle, it must be up and down, vertical.. If it's at an angle, your over a limb or u have a fish. Bring lots of hooks and weights, ya I said it again, but I'm serious.

At the entrance of every cove there is timber. Find those areas and again, you should have fun. Use as many rods as you like. Spider rigging submerged structure will rake them in if the sandies stay out of the way. Lot of work for that though.

Bring ice ad water and keep hydrated. Cold water tastes way better than hot water.

Fish are biting and a lot of big fish are being caught. Ask questions here please. Call for private questions or concerns.

[Linked Image]

https://CowboyNavy.org ( please sign up if you have a boat )

Contact Number 469-528-0210

Facebook- Carey Thorn Foshing Guide
Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7822944 07/31/12 04:16 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
$150 Guided Trip Special

These are learning trips not a limiting trips.
Three hours
Bring a buddy and it will be only $75 each.

Trips:

6 am till 9 am

4 pm till 7 pm

On these trips we will go all over the place showing how to fish spots at all depths and get fish in the boat. I will make sure you know what you are doing before the trip is over. Book a trip thru my website. Calling me is bad. I usually forget. I get 20-30 fishing calls a day and I they all merge together. So request a slot through book a trip link on my webpage below in the link TexasOklahomaFishingGuide.com.

[Linked Image]

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7822959 07/31/12 04:35 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Catch my live reports on Saturday and Sunday mornings on radio station 1080 AM. Great show called Texas Fishing and Outdoors. All the guides from all the surrounding lakes give out their reports on fishing their lakes. I usually get mine in somewhere between 530 and 6 am. I'll tell you what lake I'm on and what I'm catching and some tips to land them!

[Linked Image]

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7825559 07/31/12 09:46 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
good stuff carey, like those lavon crappie tips

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7826805 08/01/12 02:39 AM
G
gotreal formerly known as getreal Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
gitterdone

yup

if ye aint been skunked, ye aint been fishing! <<al einstene
IAMCOUNTRY
texas made lures. getcha some

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7840961 08/04/12 04:56 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Educational Trip Report:

Landed 30-35 keepers to 15 inches and left them biting at 10am. A bit windy today but right at 730 am, the crappie turned on and would get a hit or a fish every drop within 10 seconds. Like I have said, as soon as the sun comes out the crappie migrate to the closest structure they can find. One day they may be right here, then tomorrow, they school up 100 yards away on a different piece of structure. If you stop on structure in 15 ft or so, and u see shad flickering all around the boat, the crappie should be in the area. Remember the spread out at night to hunt and go home during the day. If you sink your minnow or jig more than 2 ft away from the structure, u might not get a hit. They are holding tight to the brush or timber.make sure your line is perfectly vertical. If it goes on an angle, you have a fish or the boat is drifting away and you are pulling your line over the structure and your going to get hung up. You really need to learn ur tolling motor and stay put. I can tie a rig up, stay on the structure making sure everyone won't get hung up and meanwhile chewing gum at the same time. So master ur motor. And of course ur depth finder. No bites after 5 mins, MOVE!

3 hour trips to learn how to catch these tasty slabs and where, with a bunch of GPS locations and my own Super Secret Secure Structures, $150 for 1-2 peeps. -and u will catch enough for dinner as well. These r not limit trips, just power learning crash course. But we might limit, it happens.......

You will not leave my boat till I'm satisfied with your jigging and minnow art form.

[Linked Image]

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7840967 08/04/12 04:57 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
To win this tourney, it's going to take 7 fish that are 13 plus inches. So fish hard and fast.

[Linked Image]

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7844544 08/05/12 11:20 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Early Registration:

Plano Marine
1105 Avenue K Plano TX 75074

6:30-7:00pm

Wednesday August 8 th, 2012

If you see me on the lake or want to register early, and can't make this time frame, call me and we will figure it out.

[Linked Image]

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7850831 08/07/12 02:01 PM
P
Paparon Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Carey, your info on your first post of this thread is Unbelievably Believable... hope RGIII doesn't sue me now for using his line that he trademarked. Only someone that truly wants to help people learn how to fish would give away that much fantastic info, free for everyone! If you're not listening to Tarponfly, you should be! THANKS a BUNCH for the GREAT advice!!!

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7851001 08/07/12 02:49 PM
P
Paparon Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Originally Posted By: TarponFly
$150 Guided Trip Special
These are learning trips not a limiting trips.
Three hours
Bring a buddy and it will be only $75 each.
Trips:
6 am till 9 am

Just booked on your web site and this time I for sure want to make the trip!

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7856490 08/08/12 06:07 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Your welcome.

And, the early registration, if you can make it, you should get to your fav pile before anyone else!

I hit the water yesterday and we caught fish till we ran out of 1.5 lbs of minnows and left them hitting. Report up in a bit.

[Linked Image]

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7858043 08/08/12 11:48 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
3-5 mph wind forecasted for Saturday and no rain. Should be great fishing!

[Linked Image]

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7858229 08/09/12 12:36 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
NOTE:

The Big Black Crappie and the Big White Crappie can be seperate from your main stringer.

-I just want the biggest 7 fish of the day for the heviest stringer.

-Biggest black crappie of the day

-Biggest white crappie of the day

so if you think about it, you would need 7 big white crappie and the biggest black of the day in the live well

[Linked Image]

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7863388 08/10/12 06:39 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
I'll see you guys there.

Re: "Carey's Lake Lavon Crappie Tournament II " 8/11/2012 [Re: TarponFly] #7864426 08/10/12 04:26 PM
R_L Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Wheres the best place around Lavon to buy minnows?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide