Forums59
Topics1,038,929
Posts13,955,628
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 37 1 2 3 4 36 37
Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #7744329 07/10/12 12:24 PM
S
SteveStrasemeier Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Good tip on removing one hook and mashing barbs down. I have been mashing barbs down for some time now and I can't really tell any difference in hook to land ratio than before. If you have ever had a treble buried in your flesh you will be glad you mashed the barbs down. Going to try Lavon again sometime this week.

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #8887274 05/01/13 11:00 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Now booking trips for Crappie fishing at Lake Lavon & Lake Ray Hubbard.

Sandies and hybrids have started thier way back to main lake so, I am done guiding the banks of Texas & now I'm back on the boat and on Lavon for your pick of Crappie, White Bass, and Black Bass.

$225 for 1 or 2 people @ 4-5 hours for any kind of fish you want to target.

Sand Bass and Hybrid Striper and Crappie and Largemouth Bass and Channel Catfish @ Lake Ray Hubbard ( your pick )

Whichever lake you pick, you will have fun. And if we limit on one species, we will try for the others!

$225 for 2 people ( $75 each persons added )

[Linked Image]

https://CowboyNavy.org ( please sign up if you have a boat )

Contact Number 469-528-0210

Facebook- Carey Thorn Foshing Guide
Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #8931154 05/14/13 05:09 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Went looking for crappie yesterday. Found them, but the action was to slow for me. Did find one tree that we caught 20 crappie out of, but all 5 inchers. The wind was just to much to have fun with the crappie.

So I gave up the crappie and hunted down the sandies. 12-22 ft of water. Most were in 18 ft.

1/4 oz chartreuse slabs with a fly 12 inches above was great for doubles almost every cast. Fun times!

To windy for me today, so its play with the dog day......

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #8943958 05/17/13 10:37 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Less than a 15 min limit today. Doubles every drop. After 45 mins of that it got boring. I called two boats/friends that were on the lake, and we all actually left after 30-45 mins of a fish every cast.. They were still biting as we left. The slabs wouldnt get more than 3 ft down when they would get wacked.

Great time to get the kiddos on easy fishing!

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #8944284 05/18/13 12:25 AM
A
awzstriper Offline
Angler
Angler
A
Man that is a good pic! Looking forward to hitting Mt. Fork in a couple of weeks. Keep up the good posts!

Out of curiosity are the hybrids biting at Ray Hubbard?

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #8945222 05/18/13 08:42 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Last week we drifted Robertson Point and caught 12 in 3 hours. CPR'ed. We drifted live shad on the bottom. Most were 18-22 inchers. Nothin big.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #8947724 05/19/13 05:59 AM
A
awzstriper Offline
Angler
Angler
A
That depthfinder looks loaded up!

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #8947783 05/19/13 10:07 AM
P
Paparon Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Originally Posted By: TarponFly
Less than a 15 min limit today. Doubles every drop. After 45 mins of that it got boring....

And most people think boring is a bad thing!

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #8973669 05/26/13 09:35 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Sorry for the delayed reports. I have been working from 6 am till 8 pm everyday and the last thing I wanted to do was type when I got home. So here is the Lake Lavon Fishing Report!

Fishing for sandies is still getting boring. Every time you drop down your slab, your lure will rarely touch the bottom as the fish will pick it up and you usually reel up a double on one line. The sand bass are 12-14 inches on average this year. We have a small jig or fly tied 18 inches above the slab. Most of the sandies have been holding on the humps. We don't have much structure in the lake and the humps are really the only thing for them to hold on, with the lake so low. Usually this time of year they are holding on the roadbeds, but they are to shallow at the moment. I am using a 1/4 ounce chartreuse slab, I pour them and paint them myself. -not for sale.

Instead of packing up and heading in after my clients had enough sandies, we will go see how many crappie we can put in the boat, depending on what species of fish we were targeting first. Every trip produces some catfish on the slabs too. And, this year the crappie are huge. 90% are 2lbs or a bit over, 13-15 inchers on average. Black/chart and white/chart jigs made by Lightsouttackle.com, called Thump Buddies are the hot jig right now. I am fishing 8-15 ft on timber and brush piles to pull these huge slab crappie out of. I won't sit longer than 2-3 mins on a target. If I don't get a bite or a fish within that time frame, I move to the next target. Cloudy days I am fishing above the brush piles. Sunny days I am fishing in the brush piles or super close to the timber. If the wind is not blowing over 12 mph, limits of both crappie and sandies are pretty common in my boat.

Now for the fun stuff I have piled up in the photo bucket. Remember how I said the sandies are getting boring to catch? Well there is a reason for that. And here is why, this is what I am looking at as soon as I pull up to the humps.

-Everyday they are sitting here chillin.

Below, John said he has caught 30-40 fish in one day! So I took him to the humps and he quit at 263 White Bass. Trip was 5 hours but he only made it 2 hours.

On my Humminbird, I like to use my Down Imaging to really watch them. You can tell if your on dinks or keepers after you have stared at it long enough. Pay close attention to the graph so you can stay on the bigger school of keepers.

The White Bass bite is just plain crazy right now.

So, after we catch enough sandies, we go and see how the crappie are biting.

And again, the crappie are pretty big this year, and pull hard. They look like a big bass coming out of the water they are so big and green.

Three man limit of Sand Bass.

Above: thIs trip started at 545 pm. The little one landed the biggest fish of his life so far, 4-5 lb blue cat on the slab. They limited so then we headed out for crappie and got a few before the darkness took over.

Had a great father and daughter trip! She was a crappie master! Never crappie fished before, but she out fished pops! And caught some toads!

Dad still had some game in him though!

She was all smiles the whole trip, as are most.

Pulled a couple Black Bass out as well. Hooked a 6-7 bled and almost had the net on her, but the hook pulled.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #8973674 05/26/13 09:37 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Crappie are almost spawned out. They are pretty easy to catch now, but soon, all the slabs will be on piles in huge numbers.

She saw dad catch a bass, so she topped dad to show him up!

So they got a limit of Crappie

And a limit of White Bass

Below: on this day, we limited on sandies in 20 mins or so and landed over 300. Then a storm started to develop and we had to seek shelter for awhile. We saw the sandies boiling on the surface while it was raining, teasing us from the shore.

We had about an hour till dark left, so we hit a tree to see what the crappie were doing. That storm made them go into a feeding frenzy!

Then I finally get Edward out after the rain and wind cancelled trips. Still the day was windy, but he opted to go. Crappie were slow, but got got a few. After awhile I got the pattern down and figured they were just not hungry at the moment, so we hit the gold mine of sandies and filled the boat up.

This morning was greatness:

Got to the humps and started scanning to find the big ones. Took me 10-15 mins to find the keepers and then it was on. Started fishing at 7 am, limited at 730 am, total tally this morning at 8:20 am was 237 sand bass landed. Rain and wind picked up a bit so we headed in as they were very happy and put a dent in them. We trailered out of the water as people we just showing up. I was home this morning by 845 am.

Other than that, I took a couple days off and hit Lake Fork and entered a Bass Fishing Tournayment. Click the blue link for Pictures and Report on that.--------> Bass Report Click Here

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #8975046 05/27/13 01:08 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Great report...happy campers there

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #8990646 05/31/13 06:46 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Wind is finally going to settle down the afternoon on Saturday! I have been laid up for the last 4 days..... Its killing me not being on the water. Got some needed yard work done, poured 200 jigging slabs and powder painted them, poured 300 crappie jigs and powder painted them...... Fully stocked on Thump Buddies and ready to hit the freaking lake!

June 12th AM trip is now open

June 21st AM trip is now open

June 25th AM trip is still open

$225 for 2 people 4-5 hours - Crappie and or White Bass

If you pick a White Bass trip and we dont hit our limit, you get $50 of the trip! -Cant beat that!

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #9000280 06/04/13 01:58 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Slots filled.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #9000493 06/04/13 02:47 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Now when I say I'm fishing the humps, I'm fishing at the bases of the humps. Like all around the bottom of the humps. Sometimes I'll be up on top of the humps but most of the time the sandies are around them no farther than 50 yards usually. Quarter ounce slabs are definitely key. Chartreuse seems to be the color but it really doesn't matter what color they are. Lavon is a little bit stained at the moment so chartreuse is obviously the better color of them all. Every day were limiting within a half an hour weather permitting. Getting solid 13-15 inch fish in the batch as well. Very nice fish this year. Last year it was 10 inch fest. This year is just plain Awesome! -but gets boring, lol.

The humps keep producing blue cats and channel cats every day.

My client and friends, and even other boats fishing the humps actually are still getting bored of catching them after an hour or two.

Again, the days graph always looks like this. -all day long. After you get bored of catching Sandies, you can go look and see what the crappie are doing or the largemouth or the catfish or the carp or even the drum: then you can go back to the Sandy's any time of day. Crazy action.

Nice boots dude!

Today was the same. 30 min limit. We threw back all of the 11 and unders. 99% of the fish we pull into the boatyard actually keepers but no reason to keep all the small ones when there's plenty of 12-13 inchers.

As for the crappie right now, they're finally starting to move out of the shallows And piling up in brush piles in 8 to 15 foot of water. Today 14 foot was the magic number. Meaning that we were in 14 feet of water with a brush pile present in the depth of water. The fish were holding 10 to 12 foot in the brush or around the bush piles. We only hit two brush piles on the way back to the ramp and picked off about a dozen slabs. Black and chartreuse, pink and chartreuse, and white and chartreuse have been the colors of choice. And I am using Thump Buddy's made by LightsOutTackle.com

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report ( Updated weekly w/ pics and tips ) [Re: TarponFly] #9007387 06/06/13 01:12 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Same thing. Different day. I've decided that the weather man is a complete idiot.

The fish were moving home to hump today so it actually took about an hour to limit. Actually had a boat show on the humps today. A whopping three boats. I think everybody limited.

Yesterday's catch.

Today's catch.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 37 1 2 3 4 36 37
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide