Forums59
Topics1,039,215
Posts13,961,112
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10006520 05/23/14 10:00 AM
N
nellie Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Carey
No report from yesterday? You holding out on us, did you do any good with the light winds, I bet ya"ll smoked them.

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: infamousfisher] #10006531 05/23/14 10:33 AM
C
crope1 Online Content
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
Online Content
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
C
unless he was pulling my leg,another member told me you couldn't clean fish on Lavon?
Originally Posted By: infamousfisher
I went to Little Ridge last Saturday and a guy sat there and cleaned fish on the ramp for about 20 minutes. Blocked the good side of the ramp for a bit.

When it was finally my turn to lauch, got the boat down the ramp, went to crank the motor, ttttttttttttttttttt! Wouldn't start, so, pulled the boat off the ramp, parked the boat in the lot, switched batteries, and blammo, she starts. That took me about 10 minutes.

Had to get back in line, and low and behold the same guy is still filleting fish at the top of the boat ramp!

Courtesy and preparedness is a lost art.

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10007060 05/23/14 02:12 PM
R
rockwallslabslayer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
got a trip tomorrow with carey.

God gave me 2 hands for fishing and i use them
Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10007135 05/23/14 02:29 PM
R
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
got a trip tomorrow with carey.

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10007820 05/23/14 06:19 PM
I
infamousfisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
My understanding is that Lavon has signs that says no cleaning fish. It wasn't the fact he was cleaning fish, its the fact he was doing it on the boat ramp.

Fish Happens!
Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10010203 05/24/14 08:56 PM
D
Denny Crane Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Kinda Tuff out there today, only manged 2 keepers with 1 a 17" they came out of the only standing timber off close to the bank ~8 FOW.

Saw a few caught but couldn't locate any brush in 15+ FOW that wasn't getting pounded by wind and waves.

Wasn't a single parking spot available in the Power Plant Parking Lot.

May try again tomorrow.

DC

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: Denny Crane] #10010699 05/25/14 01:38 AM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Got up and went to Fork this morning for some bass fishing, loaded up and hit Lavon on the way home. Got to the ramp around 12:30 and saw Casey loading up to leave. Anyway I ended up with 22. All fish are still being caught in 5-8 fow.
All on Marks hodgson jigs, there was a old boy around me said he is close to a limit and he was using minnows.
Collins park Boat ramp was a mad house

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10011023 05/25/14 04:15 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
To tired to post. But here is a quicky.

6-18 ft brush and timber and ledges where it drops rapidly.

Minnows were key today due to heavy traffic. Otherwise black and chart and white and chart Thump Buddy's have been loading the boat up. There have been a couple days I have had my rear end handed to me. Slowest day was like 14 keepers. Big fish are still around and make up for the shorter fish. Not really limiting everyday, but the big ones equal (3) 10-11 inchers on the filets.

If it is calm winds; under 5 mph, we limit. If the winds are over 10 mph; it's tough and the fish seem to spread out more. Cloudy days are tough too. This morning was a bit tough so instead of a full day trip, 8 hrs straight, I broke it up to 7-11 am and 4 till dark. That made it worth it. The second half of today was night and day. 630 pm the winds dropped to 2-5 mph and we started to wack them. Then the sun dropped behind some clouds an hour before dark and they shut down to a trickle. The sunnier it is and calmer it is, the better. They will hold tighter to the structure.

And yes, the ramps were crazy. People who have never backed a boat down the ramp, proved it.

Wake boats were out in force at the dam and pushing 4 ft waves all over the place. One almost knocked my client out of the boat today.

Be prepared to wait up to 45 mins just to launch sometimes. Lots of newbies who have no clue about keeping the ramps moving and take their sweet time to launch. One guy took 23 minutes to launch yesterday. Backed his boat down the ramp, stopped 5 ft from the waters edge and got out, then started to organize the boat and walked around it a couple times. Then tied his boat to the dock and took a freakin phone call while sitting in his seat for 3-4 mins chatting away. 16 boats in line. I had already pulled out and my client and I were just watching the mess.

At noon it took me 38 mins of waiting in line to trailer out. Holidays suck for only two lanes on the whole lake, open, to launch.

When u are going around points, take them wide. The shallow water will creep up on you fast.

At Collin park, don't do this:

He was very very lucky he didn't drop off the ramp I have no idea how he didn't. He had to be centimeters from falling off the ramp. There is a concrete picnic table that was dropped at the end of the ramp so we have something to launch from. If u don't back up str8 down that, u will have to call a tow truck after u fall off of it. Seen it happen at least 7-8 times already. One guy decided to just gun it and ripped his axle almost all the way off. He dragged the trailer up the ramp with the axle dragging behind.

Lots of 14-15.5 inch crappie still.

I'll post a better report when I get a day off with pics and stuff.

[Linked Image]

https://CowboyNavy.org ( please sign up if you have a boat )

Contact Number 469-528-0210

Facebook- Carey Thorn Foshing Guide
Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10012319 05/26/14 12:47 AM
H
Hooky_Looky Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Anyone caught a 17 inch crappie? My biggest this season was 16 inches.

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10012457 05/26/14 01:47 AM
D
Denny Crane Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Yep spawned out 2.72 Labs. would've been an easy 3lb two weeks ago.

D

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10013609 05/26/14 05:06 PM
R
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
he got real lucky

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10025217 05/30/14 11:24 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Not limiting everyday, but 10-20 keepers on average is good now. They moved to every depth. No solid pattern till a thermocline settles in.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10026374 05/31/14 04:41 PM
N
nellie Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Slow, slow , Slow, went this am for three hours and only caught 9 keepers, all on jigs, too slow for me, been a great two months though. The freezer is very full and I am done with Lavon this year, the pre, spawn, and post spawn fishing is officially over for me. The huge numbers of big fish was crazy this year, up until today, every day I fished the past two months I had at least a 13-14lb top 7 fish stringer every day, they were so big I weighed several fish this year, sad it's over.
Good luck with the summer fishing pattern this year.

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10030235 06/02/14 02:32 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T

The last week has gotten a bit tough, but the fish r still catchable. Minnows are king at the moment. Jig bite still produce for the die hards.

Black and chartreuse and white and chartreuse jigs, preferably some Thump Buddies, with a pink head on the jig head. 1/16 oz

( Ranger gave my client some fish at the end of the day yesterday, thanks man. )

In 3-4 hours we average about 10-15 keepers person on the crappie.

One of my clients had the lake record black crappie at the boat before the hook pulled out. Had to be 15-16 inches long and fat! Sad few minutes. Client still kicking himself for that one.

Fish are holding in the timber now too. 3-5 fish per timber if they are there. 10-15 ft is an average depth of where we would find them.

White Bass: old road bed near power plant/ Avalon/ and south side of island cut along the banks in 10-15 ft of water. Some old ramps holding them here and there, but some days they never show back up to the spot they were in the day before. Sporadic top water is starting to happen again. Very random though. The pop up here and there for five minutes maybe 15 to 20 minutes. 1/4 oz chart slabs with a jig or two tied above it 12-18 inches spaced out, is getting them at the moment. Minnows 6 inches off the bottom, if you find the school. We will anchor and set out rods and wait for them to pass back by. They are working the banks searching for baby fry schools. Beaching the boat at the island hopping out and working the banks with spinners seems to be producing a couple in the mornings. That is the sun comes out they seem to be moving back out into 10 to 15 foot of water on average. I expect the White Bass bite to pick up in the next month. Once all the small fry balls get bigger the top water action should get a lot better.

Black Bass Report: Early in the morning fishing the rip rap, with top waters has been producing some great blowups and 2 to 4 pound fish. As the sun starts coming up, and the top water bite slows, switch to a white and chartreuse spinner and still work the riprap and timber. As the sun is at its highest switch over to a Texas rig with either creature baits or watermelon red or watermelon green 6 inch worms or creature baits. Lake Fork Tackle, Okeechobee blue beaver tails or the watermelon red and green work well also. The rail road tracks, the dam, the tires, swimming beaches with brush piles nearby, old submerged ponds, old submerged roads and boat ramps, and even the humps and 20 foot of water are producing fish. Average fish are 16-20 inches. A few 6-8 lbers have been caught too.

Top Water Catfish Report: yesterday my client glanced over and pointed out a carp sucking the surface. I could not see what he was pointing at but he said it was up on the surface for about 15 to 20 seconds. About 15 to 20 minutes later we hopped off the brush pile we were fishing and got on plane. around the spot he said the car was in, all of our eyes in the boat got huge. I ran over a school of about 30 to 40 catfish to 8 pounds. All sitting on the surface. Look like they were sucking air as I ran them over. I stop the boat turned around and they were back up on the surface. Put a bobber and some bait on and immediately hooked up. Every time we would hook up the school with spook would take 3 to 5 minutes to pop back up. For about 10 to 15 minutes I could not figure out what the hell they were doing. Then as they were up again on the surface sucking air I told my clients to hold off and I trolling motored over to them to try to figure out what exactly they were doing. As I got to the main school of 15 to 20 Fish sucking air, is what it looked like, I noticed the water was brown like somebody diarrhea in the water. I took my minnow net and scooped up the brown stuff. These are my results.

Small baby fish fry. Not able to I'd them yet due to they were to small and look like all the other fry when they r that small. I also saw couple sand bass busting through the small fry schools. I have had multiple people call and ask me why are the catfish sucking the surface? I could never answer them because I never saw this before. Pretty neat to see that many fish that big eating bait that small. But if you think about it, that's what the biggest creature on earth eats. The blue whale. Plankton.

My prediction is like Lavon will turn on in 3 to 4 weeks as soon as the plankton and fish fry get a little bit bigger. Should be a good year as long as we get a thermocline. Last year we got screwed and didn't get a thermocline due to the Highwinds keeping the lake churned up. No thermocline means that the fish can be at 32 feet all the way to 1 foot. If thermocline settles in it usually settles in at 17 to 18 foot. If that happens all the fish will be 1 foot to 16 foot somewhere in the lake making it easier to find them. Also, having a thermocline prevents the balls of Bait to go deeper and run away from the game fish. Having a thermocline makes the bait balls get pushed to the surface and the white bass Crappie and largemouth are able to school them up easier.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #10030316 06/02/14 02:48 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Thanks for all that information...
Where, when and how...
That is a report!

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide