Page 1 of 2 1 2
Snakes around Cedar Hill #7505499 05/08/12 08:25 PM
C
CRAPPIEJIGN Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
I was listening to the radio and the host was talking about the increase of encounters with venomous snakes in the area. I knew there were rattlesnakes, copperheads and water mocassins in the Metroplex and then I heard the words: coral snakes. I had no idea that coral snakes were present in our area. I figured coral snakes were added due to people who collected and kept snakes as a hobby. But no, it was not due to people collecting and keeping them as a hobby. The biggest population of coral snakes is in Cedar Hill, Texas.

Oh well, you discover something new every day.

Jeff

Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #7505556 05/08/12 08:40 PM
S
Static Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Rare to see them because they are mostly night creatures. They have such a small mouth (no fangs) that it would be very rare to get bit by one because they can't open that little mouth wide enough to get a grip on you.

Red and yellow, kill the fellow.
Red and black, call it Jack.

We have scarlet or king snakes too. More south than here.

Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #7505586 05/08/12 08:47 PM
RedTopLady Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Yep, we do have them here for sure. We had them at my house when I was little, that was in Weatherford.

Snakes are everywhere. I have lots of snakes on my property, there is a creek at the back and when it gets all but dry in the summer they come to my yard for water since I have a lot of flowerbeds and water my lawn. Almost sat my sprinkler on a Copperhead one year in July while I was watering, it was coiled up napping on the cool soil under some elephant ears. Scarerd me! And I thought I was being careful and watching out. Have seen Cottonmouths coiled up next to a tree in the back area of my property close to the creek in summer. And lots of plain ol rat snakes. Just don't get bit by one, while not poisonous they can give you a nasty infection. My Sister's boyfriend got bit by a big one last summer while cutting tall grass with a weedeater on her property close to the creek, made 2 big bullseye looking marks close to his ankle that got infected, looked awful and he said it was painful.

Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: Static] #7505632 05/08/12 09:08 PM
RedTopLady Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Static
Rare to see them because they are mostly night creatures. They have such a small mouth (no fangs) that it would be very rare to get bit by one because they can't open that little mouth wide enough to get a grip on you.

Red and yellow, kill the fellow.
Red and black, call it Jack.

We have scarlet or king snakes too. More south than here.

Safe one is known as a Milk Snake. Here are some more of the rhymes that will help you know the difference.
"Red on yellow will kill a fellow, but red on black is a friend of Jack."
"Red on yellow, deadly fellow; Red on black, venom lack."
"Red and yellow will kill you fellow; Red and black is friend Jack."
"Red on yellow, kill a fellow. Red on black, you're alright Jack."
"Red next to black is a friend of Jack; red next to yellow will kill a fellow."
"Red to yellow, kill a fellow. Red to black, venom lack."
"If red touches black, you're okay Jack; if red touches yellow, you're a dead fellow."
"Red next to black, you can pat him on the back; red next to yellow, he can kill a fellow."
"Red next to black, venom I lack; red next to yellow, run away fellow."
"Red and black, friend of Jack; red and yellow kill a fellow."
"Red touches yellow, Not a nice fellow; if red touches black, good friend of jack."
"Red touch yellow, kill a fellow; red touch black, you're okay Jack."
"Red touch black, good for Jack; red touch yellow, kill a fellow."
"Yellow and red, you are dead; black and white you're allright."

Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: RedTopLady] #7505638 05/08/12 09:11 PM
S
Static Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Thanks for all that info, I got it...
If it ain't a coral it's a Jack

Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #7505708 05/08/12 09:31 PM
S
Static Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I spent probably 30 years out in Cedar Hill looking for sharks teeth PIC Shark Teeth and caught a coral snake one time. A friend was in front of me and stepped over the snake and I pointed it out to him and said "If it had been a snake it would have bit you". So I went into catch mode and as it tried to slip under a rock into the ground I caught the back end of it with about a foot of the snake out of the hole. I held on and the snake held on to the hole. I held and pulled slow cause the snake was releasing itself as I pulled. Process about five minutes to get it out free in my hand. Process in my mind..."Red and yellow, no wait, red and black no yea that's it no" My knees started knocking, really, in shorts, my legs make a funny sound while knocking- splat-splat-splat. But my mind was still wondering if it was a coral or not. I got it out and treated it like it was. Found a Dr.Pepper can in the back of the truck and stuffed it down in there. Took it home and made a glass terrium to keep it in for six months or so. I think my tarancula killed it. It was 37" long. Made a belt out of it, but it wasn't working good so I made a hat band. Had to cut it down for the belt and then cut it again for the hat band. It's faded and hangs on a wall in my shop. Everytime I look at it, I NOW remember the Red and yellow poem very well thank you, and then I laugh at my knees knocking.

Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #7505806 05/08/12 09:55 PM
B
blooper961 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Coral snakes no problem.Its the rattlers around Cedar Hill you need to watch for.We have a large population of those guys and they have big fangs.

Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: Static] #7505811 05/08/12 09:57 PM
F
fishinman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
There used to be a "snake club" in Cedar Hill many years ago....they did lots demos for schools, etc....Went on many "snake catchin" adventures with the guys....Best area was where Joe Pool lake is now and surrounding area....Caught several "corals" on our nightly excursions....

Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #7505822 05/08/12 10:01 PM
S
Static Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I talked to the guys on the bulldozers while they were building Joe Pool. They said they have jumped out of the cage a few times due to snakes coming out of the bucket on to the top of the cage. All kinds of snakes. Pig nose, kings, corals, all kinds of water snakes except mocosins. I wasn't a happy camper with Joe Pool going in, that was my shark teeth haven.

Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: Static] #7506079 05/08/12 11:16 PM
D
deucer02 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Static
I talked to the guys on the bulldozers while they were building Joe Pool. They said they have jumped out of the cage a few times due to snakes coming out of the bucket on to the top of the cage. All kinds of snakes. Pig nose, kings, corals, all kinds of water snakes except mocosins. I wasn't a happy camper with Joe Pool going in, that was my shark teeth haven.

Any excavation site around loop 12 south of Davis and Jefferson is a good place to look for sharks teeth. Back in the early 70's we found lots of them. Lots of iron pyrite also.

Biden famously said in the New York Observer, “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”
Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #7506414 05/09/12 12:39 AM
Beltonbanger� Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Just the thought of those critters has me shakin"!!!!!

The "no bull" fish taxidermist!!!!!

Visit me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fin-and-Bones-Taxidermy/337236589711827?ref=stream
Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #7509661 05/09/12 07:25 PM
T
TexasTwig Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Lot of water moccassins around the docks at Cedar Hill State Park. Seen at least one the last four trips there.

There's a fine line between a fisherman and a fool with a stick.
Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: TexasTwig] #7509778 05/09/12 07:52 PM
dbzell Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: TexasTwig
Lot of water moccassins around the docks at Cedar Hill State Park. Seen at least one the last four trips there.

Someone knocked my plastic minnow bucket in the water last year at the boat slip. One decided to make it his house for some part of a week that I didn't go out there. He wasn't happy when I kicked him out of it and put minnows in it one night and had it closed. Would coil up on it and just sit there. Didn't catch many fish that night!

Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #7510221 05/09/12 09:14 PM
C
crappieking95 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
There are alot of copper-heads in my neighborhood right now.. They told us ti pht moth balls in our hedges and sulfer..

Philippians 4:13
Re: Snakes around Cedar Hill [Re: crappieking95] #7511093 05/10/12 01:02 AM
P
Pope1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Cedar Hill has the only Crotalus atrox (western diamondback rattlesnake) and Micrurus tener (Texas coral snake) populations left in Dallas and Tarrant counties. The Micrurus follow the alluvial plain from the south along Mountain Creek and the Crotalus are in the escarpment. The Micrurus die if their body temperature rises above 82 degrees, so the only time anyone would likely see one is after a spring or fall rain. Otherwise, they are several feet underground. Pretty cool they are still hanging on with the metromess surrounding them.

Pope
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide