Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Originally Posted By: Ox190
Originally Posted By: fowlplayr
Originally Posted By: Bandit 200 XP
Fat side up to keep everything juicy and moist

x2. ALWAYS.

Even when smoking at 215 - 225 - the grease will flow down through the meat keeping it moist. No need for the 'Texas Crutch'. The only time you need foil is during the rest period.

Actually the grease flows around the outside of the meat, effectively doing nothing. You are better off putting the fat between the meat of the brisket and the heat source.

http://texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12384&hilit=brisket+fat+side+down

There is a guy who responded in that thread 3 Star Redneck, who has probably smoked more briskets than several people here combined. I'll take his word for it.

I'm guessing nobody read this post cause its right on. And briskets never need to be wrapped in foil.

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7552406 05/21/12 06:28 AM
B
Bluwave Mike Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Good smoked meat does not need BBQ sauce! texas slinger

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7552472 05/21/12 09:39 AM
redfin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
This has a lot to do with the type of smoker you are using. I use a Weber 22.5" upright and a Brinkman barrel type smoker. The firebox is directly under the meat (water pan in between) on the Weber and the Brinkman firebox, while considered to be indirect heat (off-set to one side), is still very close to the meat. Therefore, I would always go fat side down on these smaller type smokers.

I can give you a very recent, real life situation - I smoked 7 briskets for the Ray Hubbard Sand Bass tournament a couple of weekends ago, each one was 10-12 lbs. All 7 of those briskets went on the smokers FAT SIDE DOWN, no alum foil between them and the grill. I lined the bottom of the smoking chamber on the Brinkman with foil to minimize any mess. I also lined the water pan on the Weber upright with alum foil before I put water in it to minimize any mess. I use a charcoal fire with 4-5 fist-sized chunks of pecan wood tossed on top of the coals about every 1.5-2 hours. I used the Minion system for lighting the charcoal (look it up on the INET). I had water pans under the briskets in the cooking chamber. I took the briskets off and wrapped them tight in alum foil when the internal temp hit about 160-165 (about 5-6 hours) and continued to cook them FAT SIDE DOWN in the smokers (don't add wood after that) until the internal temp hit about 185 (about 2-3 hours later) then I took them off the smoker, wrapped them in another layer of foil and then wrapped each one with a towel and put them in a cooler FAT SIDE DOWN for 3-4 hours. Then took them out, sliced them and put them in an alum pan with their juices poured over the slices and foil sealed over the top of the pans. We had nearly 100 people at the event. I had nothing but compliments and there wasn't much left. Here's the link for comments that were made. http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...BAR#Post7521916

I preped them 12-hours ahead of putting them on the smoker - a generous amount of Worcestershire sauce rubbed in on the MEAT SIDE ONLY then the Grand Champion rub from TexasBBQRub.com went on over the WSauce MEAT SIDE ONLY. I pulled them out of the refrigerator one hour before they went on the smoker to get them close to room temp. I use a Maverick Redi*Chek remote smoker thermometer that monitors not only the cooking chamber temp but the internal temp of the meat as well. The best dayum investment for about $30-$35 I ever made. I used a Weber 22.5" upright (4 briskets) and a Brinkman barrel smoker (3 briskets). I rotated the briskets in the Brinkman about every 1.5-2.0 hours so they'd get even heat from the firebox.

I am a huge believer in fat side down

I also have a moisture content meter I use to measure the wood I use. Moisture content should be under 18%. Green wood will ruin any meat you have on the smoker.

I know more old alcoholics than I know old doctors - Me.
"If you think women are the weaker sex, try pulling the blankets back over on your side."
Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: redfin] #7557556 05/22/12 03:24 PM
F
fastpitch Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Cooking brisket is simple. some of you guys have have so much stuff to put on and steps to take that its not worth doing. Just coat with mustard or brown suger (not both, take your pick) and cook fat side up for about 8-10 hours. I prefer Pecan or Mesquite wood, keep it about 225-250 degress and don't get it too close to the fire. The less you open the pit, the better. Nothing ticks me off worse than some dude walking up to the pit and opening it up asking, "watcha cooking?" I Do not wrap it in foil. Slice it across the grain when cooked, after letting it sit for at least 30 minutes. It will be as good as anyones. The kiss method is best IMHO, (Keep It Simple Stupid).

The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.
Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: fishslime] #7641233 06/13/12 07:07 PM
P
ParkerCountyFisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
x2

Don Prachyl
[Linked Image]

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7668913 06/20/12 11:20 AM
B
BBQFISH Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I think roller and redfin nailed it. The most important thing is a clean burning fire ie. "thin blue smoke" not white smoke. I prefer to cook with oak or pecan. Time and temp. are relative, cook till the flat of the brisket is probe tender "the probe goes in like it is in warm butter". I usually pull it off the fire when the internal temp in the point hits about 165f, wrap in butcher paper or foil and return to the cooker till done. I use an offset cooker and cook at about 275-300f with the fat cap down. Salt and coarse black pepper for seasoning with maybe a touch of other spices. This yields a nice bark on the meat.

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: BBQFISH] #7669425 06/20/12 02:13 PM
B
BigDave1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Well as a competiton bbq cooker, I will just reinforce whut other competion cookers responding here have said. Depends on the cooker but always keep the fat cap betwixt the heat & meat!

Now to add another dimension, you ever grill a steak and see them jusices puddle on top? The reason for this is heat creates steam which rises and pushes juices away from the heat source. Hence juice on top.

When cooking fat side up you just force the juices out of the lean to the fat. Then another thing called gravity takes over and them juices and fat just drip over the side taking flavor, spices, etc with them. Because of the heat pushing juices away from the lean there simply is no way for the fat to baste the meat!

And dont flip the briskets, same thing as cookin fat side up. When ya flip that brisket all the juices are just thrown off.

Now with all this said. Cook em the way ya want as each cooker cooks differently. There aint no set "recipe" for q'ing briskets. No time, temps, etc. as each brisket came from a different bovine beast and will cook differently. Briskets are done when they are done. Simple as that.

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7704733 06/29/12 03:03 AM
Y
yamahadude Offline
Angler
Angler
Y
Fat up then rotate every 1/2 hour till done

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7720954 07/03/12 05:51 PM
H
huntsetter1 Offline
Angler
Angler
H
I use a smoker with a side fire box and have been told that the brisket I put out is as good if not the best that other's have had by doing the following:
1) Marinate in Dr Pepper 24-48 hrs
2) Inject the brisket with Dales Marinade 12-24 hrs
3) Rudy's Rub heavily after you inject.
4) Cook at 225 and do not let it get off by more than 25 degrees either way (This is important)
5) Cook 5-6 hrs uncovered fat side up
5) Pull it and wrap it tight in foil for another 4-6 hours keeping the same temp fat side up.
6) Remove and unwrap. Let rest 30-45 minutes.
7) If there is any left use the next day and put it in eggs or baked potato.

Try this and you will not fail!!!

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7721607 07/03/12 07:54 PM
G
Galveston340 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
.....I use my homebrew rub and cook (FAT SIDE UP) with lump charcoal and throw in a log or two when needed of live oak and some Pecan from our orchard. Smoke it for about 10hrs at 210-225. I never open the pit...just the firebox when needed. Then wrap it up and go to bed!

Last edited by Galveston340; 07/03/12 07:55 PM.

...so good it tastes like it died screaming!
Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7730389 07/06/12 02:08 PM
E
Eddie201 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
I apply the rub in the morning then put it back in the fridge. Before going to bed, I put it in the oven fat side down, then all night at 170-180. Take it out next morning and smoke it fat side down 3-4 hrs.

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Eddie201] #7752882 07/12/12 04:01 PM
L
LumberKat Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I have learned alot about smoking brisket from conversations with Tootsie Tomanetz:
[Linked Image]
She has been the custodian at my school for the about last 15 years, but is known for being the 77 year old pit master at Snow's BBQ in Lexington. She told me one time that she prefers pit mistress, because it sounds sexier. Her brisket is awesome and the most moist and tender I have ever tasted. Snow's is consistently in Texas Monthly's top 5 and has been as high as number one. She has been featured in Texas Monthly, Texas Country Reporter, New Yorker, Esquire, The Boston Herald, The New York Times, and countless others. Google her name and you will get 10+ pages of hits. She is a real character.

When I asked her this question ten or so years ago, she said, "Why the hell would you put the fat down? It'll dry out." That's good enough for me. I have been doing it this way ever since. I follow every one of her suggestions and my brisket smoking skills have improved drastically. It still isn't as good as Tootsie's. I think she's magic.

Last edited by LumberKat; 07/12/12 04:04 PM.
Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7756606 07/13/12 02:02 PM
J
jboy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Thanks Tootsie, It just dont get no better then that.

JBs welding and custom cabinets. Owner

Team ORION VP.
Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7852633 08/07/12 08:18 PM
T
txbassnaholic Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
if there is not a chance of it burning from the fire, fat up to keep the meat moist. If on a wood smoker with a fire box, you might want to put the fat down. Alot depends on how big your smoker is and how its configured.

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: LumberKat] #7852763 08/07/12 08:40 PM
Bandit 200 XP Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by LumberKat
I have learned alot about smoking brisket from conversations with Tootsie Tomanetz:
[Linked Image]
She has been the custodian at my school for the about last 15 years, but is known for being the 77 year old pit master at Snow's BBQ in Lexington. She told me one time that she prefers pit mistress, because it sounds sexier. Her brisket is awesome and the most moist and tender I have ever tasted. Snow's is consistently in Texas Monthly's top 5 and has been as high as number one. She has been featured in Texas Monthly, Texas Country Reporter, New Yorker, Esquire, The Boston Herald, The New York Times, and countless others. Google her name and you will get 10+ pages of hits. She is a real character.

When I asked her this question ten or so years ago, she said, "Why the hell would you put the fat down? It'll dry out." That's good enough for me. I have been doing it this way ever since. I follow every one of her suggestions and my brisket smoking skills have improved drastically. It still isn't as good as Tootsie's. I think she's magic.

Good story about good BBQ

Triton 200 XP
200 Yamaha 0X66
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide