Ox190 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted By: fowlplayr
Originally Posted By: Bandit 200 XP
Fat side up to keep everything juicy and moist

x2. ALWAYS.

Even when smoking at 215 - 225 - the grease will flow down through the meat keeping it moist. No need for the 'Texas Crutch'. The only time you need foil is during the rest period.

Actually the grease flows around the outside of the meat, effectively doing nothing. You are better off putting the fat between the meat of the brisket and the heat source.

http://texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12384&hilit=brisket+fat+side+down

There is a guy who responded in that thread 3 Star Redneck, who has probably smoked more briskets than several people here combined. I'll take his word for it.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7380979 04/06/12 04:15 AM
N
Nothin but net Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Fat cap up, I never have wrapped one in foil unless it's done and I'm taking it somewhere. And I always put an aluminum drip pan under the brisket to catch all that yummy au jus (plus it keeps it off the bottom of the smoker). Then just boil that juice for a minute, lower the heat and add any ingredients you want for the best side-sauce ever.
I like to use oak and the last couple of hours I'll add some mesquite.

We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon On The Mount.

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7381292 04/06/12 10:31 AM
R
Retired Guy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
FYI I got a flyer in the mail a couple of days ago, the HEB store on Texas Ave. in Bryan has briskets on sale this weekend at $0.99 a lbs. with an additional $20.00 purchase. limit one per customer. they also have Bulls-Eye and KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce on sale 5 for $5.00 dollars 17 oz. size. I don't know if other HEB's have this sale going on or not, as the flyer only mentioned this store.

Tired and Retired. E Troop 1st. Air Cav.
Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7382447 04/06/12 06:30 PM
S
ss7s Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
i usually cook the fat side up on a cookie sheet for about an hour just so the meat can char a little bit and keep the juice contained then flip it fat side down removing the cookie sheet for 5-6 hours depending on how big the brisket is

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Roller22] #7383180 04/06/12 11:18 PM
C
chuckwagon Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted By: Roller22
There was a discussion on here that now I am unable to find. It is a bit of a long read, but here is what I copied from the discussion:

I also trim pretty radically for a standard packer. That big white piece of fat on a typical packer will get soft but it won't give you much benefit through rendering. The fat and collagen between the fibers of meat makes it tender as it renders. You can trim nearly all that outside fat off and get the job done a lot quicker since a smaller hunk of flesh takes less time to finish. I also trim nearly all the fat from between the two pieces of meat (deckle and flat). That allows you to get extra flavor (mustard, rub, etc) on the meat at these inside surfaces. I'll trim a big old 13 pound packer down to about eight pounds. For contests, I buy Certified Angus Beef packers from Brookshire Brothers. They seem expensive, but they are real value because you're not paying for five bucks' worth of worthless fat. They are perfectly trimmed right out of the cryo bag, so you are really getting value for your money and you're pretty much guaranteed to get a quality and flavorful brisket. These briskets are high-Choice quality meat; not the lower Select grade you'll buy most places.

As for wood, I have pretty much settled in with hickory. I'll burn oak after the meat is foiled since I can usually get Oak cheap or for free. I was really in a pecan mode for briskets for years...and I like it, but for general appeal, folks just seem to like the taste of hickory best overall. I really do too, and I love it for pork.

Pit temperature- I got "low and slow" out of my system. This took me ten years. I really enjoyed all the beer I'd drink when it took me fifteen hours to cook a brisket...and I know that the mere suggestion of cooking brisket fast can get you into serious trouble in certain areas...I know, I know. Be that as it may, I have been gradually doing briskets hotter and hotter over the years. I have done them up to 350 and I do find they're slightly tougher at that temperature, but the real key is to get them to an internal temperature of right around 200 degrees F where the collagen breaks down...and then it's done. If you go much longer, it will be overdone. When the meat probe first pushes into the brisket like it's butter, you're done. 200 deg F is a good rule of thumb and should be within a couple degrees of about perfect. I really like 275-300 for about six to seven hours for a huge brisket (and also for bone-in butt for that matter). Temperature control doesn't really matter that much either...this is probably a big paradigm-breaker for many too, but I find it to be true. A great big hunk of meat like that isn't really sensitive to temperature swings. Even a runaway to 400 degrees for a few minutes when the wind decides to change and blow directly into your intake vent...that's not going to really hurt your brisket.

On the smoke...less is more. It sounds crazy to say it, but most people don't like smoky tasting brisket. Thick billowy smoke coming out the chimney means a poor tasting brisket. Open that inlet vent when this happens and learn to control your burn by looking at the quality of your smoke. Don't put so much wood into your pit that you need to cut way back on the intake air and poison your meat with too much smoke. Use bigger pieces of wood for milder smoke. Chunks or logs are what you want. Not chips- they produce a lot of smoke quickly, which doesn't give you the subtle smokiness you want. Oh, yeah...never mess with the outlet vent. That stays open all the time.

Finally...for every person that says "you have to do it this way or that way", there's another person doing it pretty much the opposite and winning trophies doing so. But this is what is working well for me. I ruined a lot of briskets learning. If you're really, really serious, go to a bbq school. I wish I'd done so years ago.
A major tip I learned from Konrad Haskins' bbq school last year is to smoke your brisket for two to three hours and then braise it to finish it. Big-time secret- helped me get grand champion and reserve grand champion in the cookoffs I entered last year. Finish the brisket by braising it in liquid in a foil pan with foil wrapped over top. A variety of liquids can be used ranging from dr pepper, beer, etc...even water.

***Voice of Strother Martin*** (Cool Hand Luke)

"This man is gonna make us PROUD of him, Mr. Hunnicutt!!" thumb

****Sun sinking low....lines baited.....gentle south breeze blowing...you realize.........I AM! .
Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7383761 04/07/12 02:56 AM
T
Trashguy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I have a very similar somer and and I cook mine at 230 (creates better smoke) for 4 or 5 hours then wrap it up tight in foil for the remainder of time at 220.

1.4 hours per pound FAT SIDE UP. I always use the top rack and make sure you BARELY crack the damper to hold in heat and smoke.

I buy the very fine wood chips from Albertsons that come in a foil wrapper type pan ($1 each).....it smolders and smokes real well with the electric element design.

I also put a light coating of mustard on mine as it helps hold all the seasoning on meat.

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Trashguy] #7384029 04/07/12 04:26 AM
N
Nothin but net Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Trashguy
I have a very similar somer and and I cook mine at 230 (creates better smoke) for 4 or 5 hours then wrap it up tight in foil for the remainder of time at 220.

1.4 hours per pound FAT SIDE UP. I always use the top rack and make sure you BARELY crack the damper to hold in heat and smoke.

I buy the very fine wood chips from Albertsons that come in a foil wrapper type pan ($1 each).....it smolders and smokes real well with the electric element design.

I also put a light coating of mustard on mine as it helps hold all the seasoning on meat.

I'm glad you mentioned mustard. I tried doing that on a small flat cut last summer (really no fat on it at all). It was only about a 5 lb. cut, and man it was DELICIOUS! I used Dijon and it gave a very nice kinda "kick" to the brisket. I'd forgotten all about it, gonna do it again!

We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon On The Mount.

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7384551 04/07/12 01:32 PM
R
Retired Guy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I fired up the pit around 7:00 this morning and put the brisket on a half an hour later. I'm trying something a little different this time, I picked up some apple tree limbs from a neighbor who lost a tree in the drought last year so I decided to smoke it in that. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Tired and Retired. E Troop 1st. Air Cav.
Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7443203 04/22/12 06:30 AM
*Mr. Fabulous* Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Best Store Bought Brisket Rub IS:

put rub on room temp meat(both sides) and let it sweat for a cpl hrs.....and smoke Fat side up......fat breaks down to juices and trickles down thru the meat............

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Retired Guy] #7447043 04/23/12 03:43 PM
R
Roller22 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Retired Guy
I fired up the pit around 7:00 this morning and put the brisket on a half an hour later. I'm trying something a little different this time, I picked up some apple tree limbs from a neighbor who lost a tree in the drought last year so I decided to smoke it in that. I'll let you know how it comes out.

McCormick makes an "Applewood" Rub that I use on ribs and pork chops. Best I've found for those two types of pork. I am going to try it on chicken next time I smoke some.

I Thes. 5:16-18
Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Roller22] #7451192 04/24/12 02:40 PM
dbzell Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
popcorn2

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: *Mr. Fabulous*] #7457277 04/25/12 06:53 PM
S
scott01 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: *Mr. Fabulous*
Best Store Bought Brisket Rub IS:

put rub on room temp meat(both sides) and let it sweat for a cpl hrs.....and smoke Fat side up......fat breaks down to juices and trickles down thru the meat............

Same rub I use and have been using for many years. Always have folks ask about the rub when eating my bbq too. Seems to be a big hit. We sent 4 large packages to my brother in Afghanistan for their weekly cookouts at the base (he's a contractor worker not military). They are requesting more now.

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7524370 05/13/12 07:03 PM
U
udamdan Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
U
Fat up

Dan Gleason
817-683-8652

Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: udamdan] #7544155 05/18/12 02:21 PM
F
fastpitch Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Yep, fat side up.

The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.
Re: Brisket - Fat up or down? [Re: Holzer] #7544174 05/18/12 02:25 PM
G
Gill Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
fat side down

Last edited by Gill; 05/18/12 02:25 PM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread