Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 39 1 2 3 4 38 39
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733221 03/27/02 12:22 AM
Steve Bradbury Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I would like to see it open, but not the way it was. I hated those lines and the people at the ramps had the patiance of a knat as well as would cut somebody (me) off to get to the ramp or out of the water.

If they open it, ever, I would like it to be a deal where you send in and get a permit to fish it for a certain day, not every Joe Public sitting in line on Saturday and Sunday morning. I am convinced it will open again, but things will be different. Those fish are not going anywhere, they are just getting bigger and there will be a few more of them.

They need to add another ramp as well, but that is a different story. Why we are complaining, why not throw the Corp of Engineers in there. Why do they not work on ramps and courtesy docks when the lakes are low? Lots of people to be angry with and try to get them to change. However, we are in their world and subject to their rules. Live with them or live without them.

Hopefully it will open due to your work, but for now it is not. Things must change in the world, before we let some nut case on a lake that houses a nuclear reactor!

To address the one point somebody made many replies ago, sure some of the TXU employees fish the lake when it is closed. I have a great map that was made by TXU, so I know all the depths and spots and structures, humps, etc. I also had the opportunity to go with a guy who used to be high up with TXU and fish some "restricted areas". Same thing at Granbury, you see those TXU employees fishing the other side of the cable at the outlet. Heck that is one of the perks! They may view it as their lake as well, but we believe differently. If you do not like TXU, you now have the right to change your provider. However, I do not believe a few hundred fisherman changing power companies will change their mind.

Let me tell you a story about TXU. Years ago, when I lived in Cleburne, a power grid went down and lights were out for blocks, my house included. I went to a buddies house who worked for TXU and there were about five other TXU high ups who lived on his street. A few phone calls later, their power was on and mine was not for several hours. He simply called and when he reported the outage, he asked them "if it would make any difference that he was a TXU employee and so and so was also and they lived on his street." Who is to say if it worked like that are not, but their lights were on quickly.

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know and I can help. Email me at steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733222 03/27/02 01:31 AM
I
imacomin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
I am well versed in the idea that things happen, we can't change what people do, there are perks to this and that and those things. My concern stems from the fact that Squaw Creek was always too big of a hassle for TXU and they never liked having to put up with the public being on it, but they don't mind putting their own people on it. This has to have a significant impact on the local economy, and they are keeping it closed under the guise of national security when in fact it is closed because us normal people are just too much trouble for them to be bothered with. That is my problem.

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733223 03/27/02 03:01 AM
Steve Bradbury Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
The town of Glen Rose does quite well with the Tax Base they have from the Nuclear Plant. I agree that they (TXU) does not care about the public using the lake. That is a shame, there a lots of big fish in that lake and it is very pretty to be sitting there and not being fished.

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know and I can help. Email me at steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733224 03/27/02 01:04 PM
J
JoelM Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Regardless of anything else, and whatever opinion you have, the only real power you have in this world with these kinds of institutions is where you choose to spend your money. So, despite the fact that it may make no difference at all, we should all choose another provider. We should also let them know why. We should not let apathy or indifference guide us. By the same token, it is assinine to act as if we are suprised by human selfishness because we are in fact ourselves acting out of selfishness. We want to fish the lake because it is such a great fishery, and in Whiskers case, a substantial part of his income. They do not want to let us for any number of reasons, and I believe
that one of them is, in fact, a misguided attempt at "PROTECTING" the public. All that being said, it is juvenile for us to complain about the way that it is without offering solutions. Can we all agree that Squaw will not open again in the form that we have known it? I myself am in agreement with Steve in the fact that it SHOULD be changed for alot of reasons. I can't tell you how many times I got in line at 11:00 PM to fish a tournament, how crazy is that? We should offer solutions instead of just complaints. Added security or background checks cost money. It is unfair for us to want then to spend more just so we can have fun on their property. How much of that extra cost are we willing to defer as recreational or professional fisherman? What would we pay for a pass or a tournament pass? I do not know what the solutions are, but instead of just offering complaints, we should offer solutions. Just my opinion, thanks, Joel.

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733225 03/27/02 09:00 PM
O
o9rady Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
It is my understanding that Squaw Creek was also a very popular scuba lake.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
SCIENCE. It makes Darwinism look dumb.
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733226 03/29/02 02:15 PM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
TXU closed all lakes to fishing. Make no beans about it, that water is to cool the plant. I dont care for it.
But Redfin is right
By the way Oncore runs the plant now.
Tim

[This message has been edited by TGalyon1 (edited 03-29-2002).]

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733227 03/30/02 02:17 AM
F
Flysoup Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Howdy
I am mad too about Squaw Creek it was the one safe place I could take the Grand kids. Swimming, fishing, just for a drive. Hot dogs and kids go well together. Even better when fishing.
Thoes day are GONE Squaw Creek is as good as GOME. IF you have not heard WE ARE AT WAR. They brought it to us at New York, in Penn. at the Penagon. WAKE UP. You are worried about Fishing in a Great little impoundment that was made to cool a power plant. So they stocked it. Great you got to fish for them. Some of you made your living doing that. You are worried about long lines at the gate. I am worried about my family my job my retirement funds.
Get a Grip on the NEW way we now have to live you spoiled brat. People have died for your rights to fish. People are dieing to keep your right to breath free air.
Yes the lake is closed, will stayed closed until we win the war and maybe longer. What do you think the people at the Towers were saying just before some power hungry guy desided to declare WAR on the USA.
They are so busy having fun that they will not do a thing about one little bulding we had better hit both of the towers and Washington too. I bet most are out fishng anyway.
That was yesterday, The PAST. This is today.
I can not say what someone could to to bring down the nuke plant. I will not. That would be dumb. Would it disrupt the country. OK one person out of 200 is all it would take. Remember OK City a few years ago. How think what is going on in the Metroplex what is made in the way of Electonics, Airplanes, are you gittin' the Idea yet. Is not safe to have the biggest power plant in the area in any way posisible a target.
Worry about restocking Granbury and the Brazos River. The Golden Algae killed more that you know or let on.
This was in part do to the guides that did not want to loose and bussness. Their " come-on-down the fishing is still great at Granbury. So the State did not get restocking. After all there were still fish there the guides were still taking lots of fish.
I have fond memories of my kids and Squaw Creek It is good to have these. I will build some more with my great grand kids it is for them that I would like the USA to win the WAR.
Allen Crise
Glen Rose, TX

Flycasting is as easy as flysoup
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733228 03/30/02 02:27 AM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
hear hear!

This war needs to be won, our will needs to be strong. Once we have these evil ones under control things can return to normal. But there will be no normalcy until the evil is gone. Make no mistake, it is evil.

------------------
RRhyne56

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733229 03/30/02 07:45 AM
I
imacomin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
If I felt Squaw Creek were closed for the security of the nation, I would not be as upset. I am upset because it is closed under the guise of national security.

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733230 03/30/02 05:48 PM
F
Flysoup Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
OK let me try again. Squaw Creek is the bigest Electric power plant in Texas.
The Dallas Ft. Worth Area has some of the biggest users of Electric power. places like Lockeede Martin. EDS, Microsoft, Airports like DFW, Places that would have to slow down or stop if the power was lost. Now look around you. How many of the places near you use the power from the Electric Company.
Now IF you wanted to cripple the area what would you do?
So for now the cooling ponds for many of the power plants are off limits. So are many of the big hydro dam's tailraces.
Now think again what is important. Some hospitals electrical power that is maintaining a new born life or a heart attack victiums life support. How about your freezer Ok so you have eaten most of your catfish.
Take the time to spend with your kids or your neaghbors kids on a Hike.
Allen Crise

Flycasting is as easy as flysoup
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733231 04/01/02 03:05 PM
Jerrybign Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Redfin has it right. GOOD GRIEF, GO FISHIN'!!! We in North Texas have more than enough water to fish in, load up the kids, and go make some memories that are worthwhile.

Religion is a guy in church thinking about fishing. Relationship is a guy fishing thinking about God!

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733232 04/02/02 02:21 AM
B
bhking Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Ditto GJ. We have plenty of water to fish in the north Texas area. While I understand everyone's frustration with the fact that tax payer dollars were spent to stock the lake, I really have a hard time jumping on the bandwagon. What ever happend to the rights of property owners???? Be it yourself or some large corporation such as TXU, the rights of property owners are some of the most precious rights we as Americans have. Once we no longer have the right to do what we want, with what we own, we essentially have no rights at all.

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733233 04/02/02 11:15 PM
O
o9rady Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
I find myself sitting on both sides of the fence on this one. Let me first say, I do not KNOW who OWNS Squaw Creek. It is also unclear to me who issued the order to close Squaw Creek. I do remember lots of, as yet unfufilled, promises that TU Electric made to get Comanche Peak built.

For one thing, it is a total joke to think that it is possible to damage Comanche Peak with something that you can sneak into Squaw Creek in the back of a pickup unnoticed.

As a matter of fact, Comanche Peak, as a legitimate target is a joke itself. If terrorist had a device capable of damaging the reactor, there are built in failsafes that would shut down reaction with little to no fallout. Such a bomb would be far easier to take out a high rise in downtown Ft Worth or Dallas and cause much greater destruction. If Comanche Peak were to go 'off-line', the energy impact would also be nominal. It has shut down several times due to routine maintenance, etc.

Secondly, can everyone take a good look at who commited the acts of September 11? Can we all quit being politically correct and recognize the terrorist for who they are/were?? Not many people who fish Squaw Creek would fit that demographic. If that hurts your feelings, well too damn bad. Your hurt feelings are not going to change FACTS, and that is all I'm stating! This political correct [censored] is going to get us all killed.

The primary purpose of terrorism is to disrupt as many lives as possible. When we quit going to our favorite fishing hole because were afraid of terrorist attack, we make the terrorists attacks that much more effective.

If TXU owns Squaw Creek, then they have the right to say what does or does not happen on their property. But, if they received special exemptions and public funds to make this facility, they have an obligation to the general public as much as their stockholders.

Given my limited information, I could go either way. Or like daddy used to say, after its all said and done. A lot more is said than done.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
SCIENCE. It makes Darwinism look dumb.
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733234 06/06/02 12:06 PM
M
Mr.Whiskers Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
We are not driving 160 miles a day 4 days a week to Lake Ray Roberts to fish our clients.Because -- Squaw is Closed. Granbury has also lost our gas,grocery,Hotel,Cafe business of our clients because of Squaw being closed. We expect that Squaw will be closed from now on. Except to the people that are chosen by TXU to fish there. We thought that it was only TXU employees that would be allowed but it has come to our attention that Others are being allowed in.

[This message has been edited by Mr.Whiskers (edited 06-06-2002).]

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733235 06/06/02 03:30 PM
J
JBaganz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Back it up with some proof, not hear say.

Quit complaining about it, go to Proctor instead.

Page 2 of 39 1 2 3 4 38 39
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide