Print Thread
Page 4 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 6 38 39
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733251 05/28/06 01:40 PM
E
eddie lane Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Just a thought on Memorial Day. What does the restricted acess to the near parking at DeCordova Dam and the relocation of bouys above the dam have to do with national security ?
I asked a BRA ranger this question and the answer was that is the way we want it.
Perhaps this not the place to voice this question but these changes were made because of 9/11 and published these were the reasons.

eddie lane
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733252 05/28/06 05:42 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I have read through most of this thread and so far can't determine what government body has closed this lake and what their thinking about it was. You have a petition to send to someone but so far I don't even know that you know who has the power to open it.
I am not criticizing but trying to give an objective opinion. I wish the lake were open also. At least during the winter.

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733253 05/29/06 12:43 AM
The Fishing Physicist Offline
YOLO
YOLO
Quote:
Originally posted by Flysoup:
I can not say what someone could to to bring down the nuke plant. I will not. That would be dumb. Would it disrupt the country. OK one person out of 200 is all it would take.
Allen Crise
Glen Rose, TX
I can tell you that anything short of a massive raid by Israeli F-16s won't do squat to those two containment buildings.

Comanche Peak was under construction back in the early 80s when I was an engineering student at McLennan Community College in Waco. (Reactor 1 didn't come online till 91, and reactor 2 didn't come online till 93, and was the next to last reactor to go online in the US.) What was then Texas Power & Light provided every engineer major at MCC with a tour of the site, they even picked us up in a very nice bus at took us there and back.

I've seen with my on eyes the thickness of the walls, and the extraordinary robust construction of the the high strength steel rebar web that the concrete covers.

Our 'tour guide' stated that " the containment buildings could withstand a fully loaded 747 crashing into it while traveling at terminal velocity, while the building was being hit by both a hurricane and an earthquake."

Being a wise-n-himer I ask if it was designed to handle an attack by Israeli F-16s. Silence.

My engineering instructor was amused by my wise-crack. If you will recall in June of 1981 Sadam had his nuclear program taken out by a very bold and brilliant Israeli air strike, where the plane that 'hit' Sadam's nuclear facilities were F-16As that drop special bombs that were designed to penetrate the containment buildings. Building that I might add were of French design and construction, and which did not measure up to NRC specs.

In a further odd turn of events shortly after the tour a couple of test pilots from General Dynamics flew in an F-16A to the old James Connally Air Field at Texas State Technical Institute. My Dad was the Chairman of the Aviation Maintenance Program at TSTI, and my parents and I live in the old officers housing area of the TSTI campus. I hand the opportunity to talk to the two GD test pilots, along with several of my friend and many TSTI students. The test pilots had some info from their friend that were still in the US Navy. Had the Israeli air strike not gone exactly as planned the Iraqi containment building would not have been breached.

I am personally, and professionally convinced that there is very little likelihood of a terrorist attack succeeding at a nuclear facility, at least in terms of breaching the containment building.

The only possible way of having an attack succeed on such an installation is to clog the intake for the cooling water in order to get the 'pile' to overheat and meltdown. That said, such a tactic is doubtful as any tampering with intake flow would result in an immediately SCRAM of the reactors.

The best that a direct attack on the plant could do, in all likelihood, is to cause inconvenience, and expense. The truth is that terrorist are looking for targets that are under the radar of national defense establishment, and law enforcement. Furthermore, they are looking to terrorize to the maximum extent possible. That means running up the causality score. Which in turn means striking at a local that gives them (the terrorist) the most bang for the buck, effort, etc.. Which in turn again means striking at a target with a high population density, and/or a high profile for maximum shock value.

Nuclear containment buildings are a non-starter. There is simply too much risk of a botched op, or of a flat out failed op. To botch, or utterly fail such an op would heavily undermine the goal/s of the terrorist by making them look impotent.

There are very many other nuclear power generation facilities that have re-opend their cooling lakes to the public. TXU is just being intransigent. Mainly because they're a charlie-sierra outfit.

TFP

Above all else hold these two things in the greatest of circumspection; government and self.

YOLO=Schiefspiegler
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733254 05/29/06 05:23 AM
Kat-man-do Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733255 05/29/06 12:52 PM
B
badkarma Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Hey TFP....

Bottom line then is that the closing of Squaq Creek is not about security......it's about a bunch of TXU fat-cats having their own private fishing hole stocked at taxpayer expense.

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733256 05/29/06 03:44 PM
F
Fishing Meskin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Some of this stuff is great TXU fat-cats, nuclear catastrophes, meltdowns, and wise-n-himer students... Reason why I do no fight wars in my history classes the know it alls get caught up in the minutia of musket ball size oblivion.

Power companies have done so much for fish hatcheries and research in Texas it is silly to even suggest that they are closing these lakes just to fish them themselves. If you are worried about your tax dollars being wasted these companies pay in tax revenue in hone year what the participants of this site will probably pay in a lifetime. It is a private lake on a nuclear facility and due to security concerns it is now only used for research end of story.

Here is an example of a power company at work:
Oso Bay hasnt always enjoyed such excellent health. Prior to the construction of the Barney Davis power plant in 1976, waters from the upper Laguna Madre to Oso Bay suffered from a lack of oxygen due to stagnation. But as the power plant takes in and discharges water to cool its pumps, circulation is increased which leads to more plant growth where young fish, crabs and shrimp can feed and survive until they reach maturity.
Unfortunately, the power plant is due to go offline within the next couple of years, which could very well affect Oso Bays future health. The power plant has already reduced its water flow which may lead to a reversal of its positive effects.
http://kanga.tamucc.edu/PublicAffairs/currents/e_currents/march/MarineBio.htm

Guys if some of you feel the real need to get into some big black bass I will be more than glad to take you down to Lake Falcon, we can travel as a group I just spoke to a friend of mine who said they were out for 3 days and collected 175 the largest being 9.13. Also on the way there I can take you to one of our tanks where you probably catch a 13 plus black bass and we will let you keep one if you like.

Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it.
Douglas MacArthur

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733257 05/29/06 10:45 PM
M
meP2too Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
M
It IS NOT Squaw Creek. Can you read, IT IS NOT SQUAW CREEK.

Reply from TP & W concerning TXU contract lake #1

TXU Contract Lake #1 is a 110-acre impoundment in
Freestone County on the Big Brown power plant property near FAIRFIELD, TX.

TXU donated this lake to Texas Parks and Wildlife Department for used as a research facility. We stock special populations of fish that we want to tag and monitor. The lake is not open to the public.

Dyanne Fry Cortez
Inland Fisheries
Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.
(512) 389-8055

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733258 05/31/06 02:07 AM
B
bowed_rod Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
if you are two foot in the water than it is leageal to fish that water and any that connects to it, correct. then why not enter the lake in a tributary directly behind the lake and travel up it in a john boat. NO ONE OWNS THE WATER PAST THE VEGITATION LINE BUT THE STATE OF TEXAS, if it connects to state propertie. and I have seen a creek that I belives probably ties in with the lake on state property directly behind the lake.

bowed_rod
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733259 05/31/06 03:19 AM
D
Dr. Chase Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
i think it dries out outsde of the property. what you are talking about connected with the brazos/poluxy confluence at one time. we would have to have flood condtions for that strecth to be navigable.

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733260 05/31/06 04:47 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Quote:
I can tell you that anything short of a massive raid by Israeli F-16s won't do squat to those two containment buildings.
Sure it might withstand an attack by F-16s...but what about a Skeeter or a Triton???!!!

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733261 05/31/06 10:13 PM
M
Marty Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Iam a stupid ole redneck so I dont know. But why not hit TXU where they rip all of us off In the POCKET BOOK!!! If I remember right the State stocked all those fish so that means they belong to us. along
with all ther offspring. Why not take TXU to court to either reopen the lake or pay us repay us every penny the taxpayers spent on the lake and fish with intrest!!!
Marty

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733262 06/01/06 02:42 AM
B
bowed_rod Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
does anyone know anybody at the local paper in grandbury. if so what are the chances of a news artical hitting the news stands. that would create a local stur and many questions could be answered by someone who has the correct athoritie to speak on txu's behalf. mabe a one on one with a reporter can answer many asked questions. and if we know in time we could post a board for questions to ask the officials so we can all get our voice heard instead of TALKING TO EACH OTHER, MABE WE COULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT or at least find out what ex.is going on. This was my favorite fishing hole and im as disiponted and fustrated as the next, but we need to know exactly whats going on and the only way to do that in a big company is to get the publics attention and the way to do that is trew the media. so let us know if we can make this happen.

bowed_rod
Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733263 06/01/06 01:49 PM
9874opf Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Well you might want to contact the Glen Rose Reporter since CPSES is in Somervell County

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733264 06/01/06 11:09 PM
9874opf Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Well I dont want to add any fuel to this fire but I just got the glen rose reporter today and they just had youth day last week at Squaw Creek where 205 youths and their parents were allowed to fish at SC - so maybe there is hoipe for the rest of the population?

Re: Open Squaw Creek lake #733265 08/09/06 01:06 AM
A
AWMiller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
i usually just stick with cheese and let the day deal with it's own worries....

Page 4 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 6 38 39
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide