texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek ðŸ 68,321
JDavis7873® 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,886
Posts13,954,815
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Anyone carry their hand gun in their boat while they Fish? [Re: Big_Jake] #7241579 03/03/12 09:37 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
"Concealed handgun" Just what it means, keep it out of sight and don't do stupid things that would inspire an officer to ask if you have one.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Anyone carry their hand gun in their boat while they Fish? [Re: Big_Jake] #7243875 03/04/12 07:33 PM
F
FishFearMe Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Governor Perry also signed into law the following NRA-supported measures:

House Bill 25 by state Representative Ryan Guillen (D-Rio Grande City) and state Senator Dan Patrick (R-Houston) will extend the right to carry a handgun to your boat or personal watercraft without needing a Concealed Handgun License – a right which law-abiding Texans currently enjoy in their private motor vehicles. For many, these vessels – especially on weekends in some parts of the state – are, for all practical purposes, an extension of one’s home. It will remain an offense under HB 25 if the handgun is not hidden from plain view, the person in possession is engaged in criminal activity or a member of a criminal street gang, or the person is not eligible to possess the firearm under state or federal law. Effective 9/1/11

Re: Anyone carry their hand gun in their boat while they Fish? [Re: J.Mays97] #7244050 03/04/12 09:11 PM
B
Bassalope Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: J.Mays97
Originally Posted By: buda13
Even with a CHL and the Castle Law it is illegal to carry a firearm on any Corps of Engineers Lake unless you are an LEO. If you fish tournaments on COE lakes and carry a firearm I'd be very quiet about it because you could be protested and DQ'ed for it. Just FYI.

I've always been curious about this? Where did You find this information? Is it actually Law, or just uninformed Tournament Directors covering their tail?

Maybe this will clarify:

3. 36 C.F.R. § 327.13 remains in full force and effect. It will continue to prohibit loaded concealed weapons on Corps properties regardless of the new law and notwithstanding any contrary provisions of State law. It remains Corps policy that we will not honor State-issued concealed weapon permits on our facilities and that District Commanders do not have discretion under 36 C.F.R. § 327.13(a)(4) to create blanket exceptions to this policy. A change of this nature to Corps regulations in 36 C.F.R. Part 327 would require formal rulemaking procedures under the Administrative Procedures Act (5 U.S.C. §§ 551-706).

Take a gander at these links:

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/employees/cecwon/memos-drill.cfm?Id=789

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/belton/faq.asp

www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

I'm not a lawyer and don't have the desire to be one either. If the lake and surrounding property is leased from COE probably not a good idea not to carry; regardless if you have a CHL or not. Why take the risk? I possess a CHL but do not carry in the boat; I haven't run across any aggressive juggers on the water.

2003 Triton 186 Magnum and gear for Sale ($13,000)- http://www.facebook.com/triton.bassboat
Re: Anyone carry their hand gun in their boat while they Fish? [Re: Bassalope] #7244688 03/05/12 01:09 AM
B
Brent's Dad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I was on Falcon Lake several weeks ago and not sure what I may encounter since I had not fished it in 17 years (fished it regular prior). After reading various reports on Falcon over the past two years, I decided to take a hand gun along (first time I have ever carried a weapon onboard). One day while launching at the county ramp, there were 4 Boarder Patrol boats and 2 Coast Guard boats along with about 25 officers doing boat safety checks. A Coast Guard office asked if he could come onboard to do a safety check and I said sure. First question was if I had any weapons on board and I said I had a hand gun. He asked if I had a license to carry and I said no, that it was my understanding that I did not need one. Another senior office responded that I was correct. He asked where the weapon was stored and I replied that it was stored in one of my dry storage compartments. He stated not to go for it, but instead he would inspect the compartment. He never looked at the gin, but did inspect the life jackets for compliance, along with fire extinguisher. After passing inspection, I was on my way to some great crappie fishing. So from this I must assume I was in compliance to any law within the sate of Texas.

(Crappie Jigging)
Re: Anyone carry their hand gun in their boat while they Fish? [Re: fishintexas123] #7245203 03/05/12 03:03 AM
T
txwin70 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: fishintexas123
As a former LEO , you do not need a CHL,,and if you don't have one I would not recomend getting one. if it ever came down to having to use deadly force you are better off without it. the standards are set alot higher if you have one, you can't claim." I had no choice" or " I didn't know"

IGNORANCE OF LAW IS NO EXCUSE.

As for CHL. If the lake doesn't post 30.06 in the proper signage, you can conceal if you have a CHL. If not, put it in your boat out of plain sight. If a GW stops you and you don't have a CHL, inform him instantly you have a firearm. If you aren't doing any thing illegal, he shouldn't ticket you. If you have a CHL, you should know what to do.

Last edited by txwin70; 03/05/12 03:04 AM.

Elliot
---------
Where we fishin?
Re: Anyone carry their hand gun in their boat while they Fish? [Re: Big_Jake] #7245364 03/05/12 03:41 AM
B
bassfork Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I always carry at Falcon. I do have a CHL, but would carry anyway just for peace of mind. I have been stopped by GW there and told him I had a gun on board. He asked if it was a long gun or pistol. When I replied "pistol", he told me I would need something much bigger if I ran into pirates. I asked if I could borrow his M-16 or even better, the M-60 he had mounted on his boat, for the day. We both laughed and he went on his way. Just do not get caught in Mexico by their authorities or it may be a long time before you get back home.

U.S.M.C. 1967-1971
RVN 1969
Marble Mountain Air Facility
Da Nang
HML-167 helicopter squadron
Re: Anyone carry their hand gun in their boat while they Fish? [Re: Big_Jake] #7246464 03/05/12 03:33 PM
M
mad mike Offline
Angler
Angler
M
If you have a CHL, you have to tell the LEO immediatly that you are carrying. That's in a car, boat or wherever you are stopped. Not sure what your responsibilities are if you don't have a CHL, but it would make sense to do the same rather than have him find it.

airborne
Re: Anyone carry their hand gun in their boat while they Fish? [Re: Big_Jake] #7247356 03/05/12 07:03 PM
D
davidsonbasser Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
I never have but my dad carries his .44 Mag with him when hes out in his boat.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide