texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,896
Posts13,954,968
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video #6965994 12/22/11 09:17 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
[Linked Image]

(One of Brians many catches)

The last couple of weeks have been great at the almighty Lower Mountain Fork River, as usual. Crazy numbers of Rainbows have been landed within my vicinity. Sent clients home with memories of new Personal Best's and lots of great memories. They have not stocked Lost Creek for a month now and is almost void of fish. There are some but no where near the numbers or even Trophy fish for even the baitchunkers to come poach out. Good news is "Treasure" ( a fish I named) is still alive! This is a 27-28 inch Female Rainbow Trout. The spot she is in, is very over looked and people come within 4 ft of her all day long and never look at this spot. If someone saw" Treasure", they did they might pee themselves. I hooked her a month ago in the Evening Hole in 2 ft of water and she just lifted her head out of the water and shook her head, and hook came flying back at me. I will remember that one for awhile. I see her almost every trip now. Showed her to Brad, Wednesday morning. Should have seen his face, classic. -He had just landed his 1st fish of the day five mins before and it was a baby 4 inch Bow. Then, to see his face, when a 27 inch fish laid up in a spot 3 ft from us. Treasure has gotten very smart now. A lot of times she will put her nose in some brush and sit there all day not allowing you to cast anything at her. Even the bait fisherman wont find her. Live on Girl!

[Linked Image]

Two Days Ago Report 12/20/2011:

Tuesday, in the we morning hours, about 4 am, I get up, get in the truck, and head to my office for the day at The Lower Mountain Fork River. To my wonderful joy I could not see more than 30 yards in front of me as I walked out the front door. A major thick fog bank had come through over night. Terrible and scary to drive in. Expecially when you are trying to stare at the road, and you see a cow wizz by on the side of the road grazing. But it got better, a mile down, another one! All this on 109. Then to add to that. 1 mile from 70 on 109 going south, there is a goat doing the same thing. Im sure some of ya'll have see the big white cow. I see it every other trip. Scary...

Got to the river about 10 mins late and rigged up the guys and hit the river to learn to roll cast. They both were Bass Fisherman, so the habit of throwing thier arms was collaping thier loops a lot. Fixed that and started catching fish. They caught a doz or so each after some bass fishing sets. Broke a couple off at first and then learned to use more finesse. Tuesday the average fish was 12-13 inchers that were mainly feeding. For the first part of the morning, almost every cast was getting a hit but they were not used to the very short strikes. At about 8 am some deer came crashing out of the woods and were going to cross the top of the Evening Hole Rapids and stopped 40 feet from one of the guys and stared at all of us for about a minute or two and went hopping back into the woods. They did very well for not ever fly fishing before. About noon the guys went to luch and went fishing on thier own and the succeeded with catching fish in spots I didnt take them to. Well done Gents! (They were fine with no pictures)

[Linked Image]

12:30 PM: It was my turn. So, I went looking for my buddy, whom drove up with me. I found him in the Evening Hole with a bent rod and some drag peeling off his reel. I smiled and asked what his tally was for the day and he replied 53. Didnt matter where we went, besides Lost Creek, the fish were biting and on fire. The Brown Trout, that were in the cold hole, were rising on PMD's (Pail Morning Dun's). The PMD's were hatching all day long in our area. The BWO's (Blue Wing Olives) hatched for about an hour. We saw a few Black Stone Flies and a couple Black Midges flying around, but they were scarse.

Ended up leaving about 4 pm and headed home. Dan landed 61 trout with 3 being Brown Trout. I decided to go get dinner up the spillway and 6 Rainbows very quick and threw them in the cooler. I landed 23 with a lot of Tree Bass mixed in the Rock Grouper were getting on my nerves bad, lost 12 flies to them.

Got home, and 30 mins later I get a call that my crappie trip wants to move days. So I get the day off! Now, where to go.....hmmmm. 10 mins later the phone rings, A old high school buddy asks " Can you take me to the Lower Moutain Fork tomorrow?" At that moment its 9:02 PM.

Top flies for this day:

Near Deers

RS2 (grey)

Orange and White Dazzle Egg

Phesent Tail

[Linked Image]

https://CowboyNavy.org ( please sign up if you have a boat )

Contact Number 469-528-0210

Facebook- Carey Thorn Foshing Guide
Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #6965996 12/22/11 09:19 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Yesterdays Report12/21/2011:

On the road again at 4:30am, headed to the river. Brad said he would drive since he lived near by so I said no prob and gave him a discount. It was nice not to drive for once. Brad said he has been coming to the river for about 2 - 3 months and said his record was 8 fish in one trip on the river. I asked what when where and how, and mainly he was only fishing a 50 yard stretch of river everytime he came down and wouldnt leave to look at other places . We started at a hole loaded with fish, but they wanted nothing to do with anything we had. About 10 AM that changed. I hear Brian say, " I got a big one!" Got most of the fight on video minus 10 seconds.

His numbers in the net were way off and crooked. Got the Tape measure out and it was a 20 incher!

He got his Personal Best in the hole he has been fishing at for all this time. And to add to that, we went down stream to a non pressured spot and landed over 9 just out of one hole 30 yards down from where he had been fishing the whole time before we went out. So we were on the move the whole time we were there Showing him all the Sweet Spots. Zone II was generateing so that was a no go. So I decided to hit Spillway Creek and hike in a bit to spots with not a lot of fishing traffic. Told him where they were laid up and he started to land sh after fish. Moved around and hit a bunch of pools. I saw, what I thought was a Brown Trout at first, so I started targeting it. I miseed it 3 times till I finally hooked up with it. Then I had a surprise at the end of the line!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Found another Albino in a fast deep rapid, but all he wanted to do was look. So, we moved down to the last pool of the day and picked a really solid fat 16 incher. Called it a day and came back to Dallas and listened to Brian talk about the" Big One" and how we tripled his catch ratio. Hes got the bug and is going again Friday.

[Linked Image]

Top Flies for the Day:

Near Deers

PW Dazzle Eggs

Last fish of the day Video: Brian leaft them biting.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #6966999 12/22/11 05:07 PM
N
Nathan "Bull" Montgomery Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
N
Good Lord i need to go one of your trips soon!!! Looks like an absolute blast. Maybe I can set aside enough from my tax return! *fingers crossed*

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #6967092 12/22/11 05:32 PM
N
nastynate Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Thats spot is deff on my "go to" list!

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #6968972 12/23/11 04:03 AM
R
ReelCrazy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Well Played Senor Thorn and Brian. Those are some nice trout for sure. And BullMonty let me suggest the partial tax return for a guided trip with Carey be tops on your list. There will be no money better spent for the stuff he'll teach you, and the greatness that is Broken Bow. Our first trip out netted over 75 fish of all species with most being trout.

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #6971250 12/24/11 12:44 AM
T
thinguyen Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Thank Carey, now I have another spot that I want to fish when the white bass not running.

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #6971268 12/24/11 12:48 AM
T
thinguyen Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Near Deers
PW Dazzle Eggs

Are the the new fly patterns that you came up with? I am so out of FF lately.

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: thinguyen] #6971792 12/24/11 04:15 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: thinguyen
Near Deers
PW Dazzle Eggs

Are the the new fly patterns that you came up with? I am so out of FF lately.

lol, yup.

PW means Pink & White. Just an egg with tinsile i tie. Fun to throw it cause you can see the fish eat it casue its so bright in the water!

[Linked Image]

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #7002411 01/02/12 03:38 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T

Trout are out and very active with the cold weather. The colder the better for these big fish. Most fish averaged 17-18 with plenty of 20 inchers and a few 22's. Couple of brown trout to mix into the bags. Everyone's average was about 20 fish. The park was super busy due to the holiday vacationers. After this week, the fish are going to be very easy to catch seeing how they wont be getting beatup everyday by 100 people. In mid January, you might see 10 other anglers or sometimes not one person at the river! I stayed up there a Monday-Wednesday last year, and didnt see another person in the park the whole time, not even a car drive by. Fish were biting and I had the whole river to myself.

Anyways, the pics and all tell you the storys.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #7002426 01/02/12 03:44 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Updated: More reports from the river [Re: TarponFly] #7023956 01/08/12 05:05 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Had a rough start this morning. Missed way more than they should have got, but its all a learning curve. Average fish today was 16 inches. Many 17-18's. Fish didnt turn on till around 2-3 pm when the air pressure stabled out. Same flys as always. Dan landed 44 trout, all on Near Deers, and I landed 19 mainly bumping eggs on the bottom. The Evening Hole was packed at noon today. No pool to fish. But there is a trick to that too. When you look down the Evening Hole, and you see people lined up, standing the river, It looks like there is no spots to fish.....? Well, while all those people are standing on the fish, the trout get spooked to the main walking bank. I was standing on the bank while people were casting at the hill side, meanwhile, Im sight casting to trout behind them. That lasted about 45 mins till everyone figured out what was going on. The Twins were there, as usual, and the thought that was amusing to watch. But, those Twins LOVE life. Anyways, even the Twins had a tough day. The big fish made up for it though.

-4 days ago, Lost Creek was FULL of fish. Over 100 easy, after they stocked it..........I saw 2 trout today in the whole creek. And "no" they didnt swim out into the river. The familys that set up Lawn Chairs in Lost Creek, that have 10-15 trout on thier stringers, and using minnows to catch them, and leaving a bunch of bottles and McDonalds Bags by the river....... I think they have something to do with it.

- Or, maybe its the cast netter I saw today below the Evening Hole Bridge.....? (the list goes on and on.....) Irritating.

Trivia Question: Would 55 lb Braid Line be good to use for 2 lb trout in 3 ft of water?

-It still had some line embedded in its skin. Gave it a little First Aid and sent her on her way.

Below, I kicked a rock over and found this.

-Freshwater Sponge.

Now, Im sure yall remember me telling a tail of a fish called Treasure (its a male). I have hooked him 2 times in the past 2-3 months. You only get a chance at him every so often when he moves out of the brush that he has his nose in all day.Well, I was goofing off in the Evening Hole, and got a phone call. It was Brad. He was hooked up with a trophy fish, he said. I took a quick jog to where he was and, there is Brad Holding Treasure.

fish

Picture says it all. Fish was CPR'd.

[Linked Image]

Re: Updated: More reports from the river [Re: TarponFly] #7025088 01/08/12 06:06 PM
T
thinguyen Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Very nice fish, I need to talk to you for a trip of my own. Great job.

Re: Updated: More reports from the river [Re: TarponFly] #7026194 01/08/12 11:40 PM
R
ReelCrazy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Hey I know that spot. Great work Brad. That is some serious size to a great looking fish. Carey why don't the game Wardens hang out down there since it seems to be one of the most obvious over-fished places? That should cut back on the B.S. I've only been three times, but the only place I've ever seen a warden is up at the store.

Re: Updated: More reports from the river [Re: TarponFly] #7027701 01/09/12 05:04 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
I dont have a real answer for that.

[Linked Image]

Re: Updated: More reports from the river [Re: TarponFly] #7392260 04/09/12 09:46 PM
B
banderapass1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
This is nice!
I have not trout fished in OK.
I have fished for years in Ar. and Mo. rivers for trout.I may need to take you up on a guided trip in Ok for Trout areas.
Do you know lake Waurika in Ok for Hybrids?

"WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG FISH"

Texas Tech University,Alumni
Lubbock Christian University,Alumni
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide