Forums59
Topics1,038,933
Posts13,955,773
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8497487 01/25/13 02:25 AM
T
Turf Dawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I am going to have to get a fly rod. I really like catching them on my fairy wands [ultra lights] but fly fishing looks like so much fun. I guess I could walk spillway creek with the fairy wands and try and fish the wider and more open waters with a fly rod.
Did they get all of that timber off the road in zone 1 redzone between bridge and evening hole area?
I really like your videos.

Turf Dawg Landscaping
Texas Licensed Irrigator
LI 0020041
Commercial Pesticide Applicator for Turf and Ornamental, Pasture & Rangelands and Right-of-Way
Texas Dept of Agriculture license #0525163
Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8497878 01/25/13 03:44 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
they are still cutting the trees that fell in the roads.... Headed back u to the river in 8 hours. Report up in two days...

[Linked Image]

https://CowboyNavy.org ( please sign up if you have a boat )

Contact Number 469-528-0210

Facebook- Carey Thorn Foshing Guide
Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8503497 01/26/13 05:27 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Started at the bottom of the Evening Hole and power fished all the way to the Spillway. We threw Pink San Juan Worms w/ a Grey RS2 #22 dropped from it/ Olive Woolly Buggers/ Near Deers. (90% came off Near Deers.)

My client for the day, (above) Landed over "120" trout from 8-5 pm. We stopped counting at 120ish trout and it was only 3 pm. The trout were fighting over the flies as soon as they hit the water. If one pulled free during a fight, another trout would pick it back up immediatly. When we found a Woolly Bugger bite, as soon as the fly hit the water, 8-10 trout would come fight over it. This is when I got mad. The GoPro was in the truck and so was my phone. Would have been some great footage.

As we were landing fish after fish after fish, a group came up with a kid. I asked the little guy if he wanted to take a shot at it and catch a fish. 1st cast he did. And the second cast. And the 3rd cast he caught one, lol. The river was on fire!

Called Brad and told him what was going on down there and he drove up today to fish the hot spots I told him about. Tried to text him to see what his talley was, but no answer so far.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8510658 01/28/13 04:52 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
I was the client on Friday... Amazing fishing. I have never seen anything like it. I am an accountant and even I couldn't keep up with the numbers. We easily caught 75 fish inside of 2 hours when we were both fishing. CT - next time remember the GoPro! Bugger fishing was a real treat - six trout chasing your fly less than 10 feet away. We even had a 'double' at one point - 1 line, 2 flies, two fish on. Carey had a 5 year old and his novice dad catching rainbows like a pro. Probably the most fun day I have ever had on the river. Thanks Carey!

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8510685 01/28/13 04:58 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
BTW - fished Saturday and Sunday as well - without TarponFly. even with a cold front and high pressure, my limited skills caught over 50 fish on his fly setups. Great weekend on the LMF. Next up..... weekend of Feb 22nd. Anyone????

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8588043 02/14/13 02:59 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Hit the river Saturday morning and had some fun up in Spillway Creek. Keith had not fly fished in awhile, but it didnt take him long to land his first fish. Within 2 minutes he was hooked up on a 14 incher. Landed about 10 nice fish out of Spillway and headed to the Red Zone. Picked out 10 more or so from the Evening Hole to the Bluffs. The Bluffs are starting to hold more fish these days. Lots of great fish are still in the Evening Hole. A lot of 20 plus inch fish are still roaming around.

I decided to stay the night due to I found a spot loaded to the T with fish. So I woke up Sunday morning after the rain stopped pouring down. My spot was not to secret. So, I left and figured by 11 they would be gone. Yup. No one there for hours after I showed up. As rediculous as this may sound, as it was, I landed 147 Rainbows out of a spot the size of a car. And the crazy thing thing, is there was another school of them 50 ft away with 500 fish strong that I could see at any given moment. So after I quit at a stupid number, I walked back to the truck and watched the water for awhile. About 4 pm, some Dallas guys showed up and hauled butt to the river. One did a superman dog dive into the water on the way out. Didnt stop him but he was on his way to the wrong spot. 20 mins later I told him the secret hole and him and his buddy landed a butt load of them. They came in right befiore dark and we chatted for an hour and we all got on the road back to Dallas. -Fun times.
I had the GoPro on the entire time I was fishing and captured the trip. -There is just way to much to edit and I just dont have the time. It was every cast or a fish every minute. Nothing really over 16 inches at all. Saw a few sandbass in the buch but the trout would beat them to the fly. Maybe next week. Ill try to posts pics and more vids then. Hitting it again Friday.......

Near Deers
RS2's
Red or Black Midges (most people were using Red that I chatted with and did well.)
San Juan Worms Pink or Red
Pheasant Tail

[Linked Image]

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8596066 02/15/13 11:13 PM
A
Andouille Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Feb 13= 8 trout in 3hrs.
Feb 14= 25 trout in 1.5hrs.
I fished the same area and the time of day and they were releasing water through three windows. So what was the difference. CAREY THORN.
I have fished with Carey before and sent him a message about the 8 caught. He quickly responded and offered a few tips (Near Deer). He told me where the X was and made my decent trip great. He didn't have to and I doubt many guides would. 3X the fish in 1/2 the time in unfavorable water conditions. Actually he told me to go elsewhere if they were generating, but when you arrive at 4:30PM time is not your friend.
I felt bad (momentarily) for the four others in the area not catching a thing. That could have been me.

If you want to learn Lower Mt Fork book a trip. You will not regret it.

Twin Lakes Guide Service and Fly shop
Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8600068 02/17/13 03:57 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
You might have laughed at my last post, lol.. Crazy T-Fly with another off the wall ridiculous post. I chatted with people at river that laughed at me when I said that.....

You meanies! You hurt my feelings. wife

It was pretty far out though, 147 trout, not possible. Not heard of really is it? So, I will apologize to everyone for lying. -It was "147" Trout and "1" Red Ear Sunfish, forgot about him! -I forget about one fish and you laugh at me and "think" I am lying.frkazoid

So here below is 11 trout in 15 mins.

I have the entire 4.12 hours on video, of me, catching 147 trout. YouTube only allows me a 15 min slot. So with that said, If you want to come over and eat some popcorn popcorn and see me rip 147 trouts lips on the big screen, come on over. Proof is right here.

So I took 15 mins of video and edited it out. I was there 4-4.5 hours.

10 fish every 15 mins
That equals about 40 trout per hour
I was there say 4 hours? = 160

thumb

[Linked Image]

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8602502 02/18/13 01:23 AM
V
Venema Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
V
Hello everybody,
First time posting on here. I just moved to Dallas from Iowa at the end of last year. I used to go trout fishing up in eastern Iowa in creeks and streams with my dad. Since moving down here I have had the itch to go do some trout fishing, and it sounds like LMF is the best/closest place to here. I am going to head up the weekend of March 2nd and 3rd and camping out up there with a buddy. I am looking for some help though. I have been reading on here religiously for all the tips I can get, but was wondering if there is a place to find a map that will show were some of the places talked about on here are, ie; spillway creek, evening hole, the bluffs...? And best parking for these places? I will most likely take a fair amount of time to walk the banks myself, but i have a feeling the 12 miles first time I wont get too much fishing in and will be exhausted once I do. Second of all does anybody have a good reccomendation on a place to camp near by? In Iowa we would just find a clearing close to parking and pitch a tent for the night. Also Tarpon Fly do you have a place in dallas that you sell your flies, or just online?

Thank you all in advance for your responses and tips.

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8602807 02/18/13 02:30 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
I can mail you the flies or meet up with you in Plano or Allen.

When you are in downtown Broken Bow and you are headed to the state park, take the second 259A right hand turn, its 2-3 miles north of ThreeRiversFlyShop. The fly shop is at the first 259A on the west side of the hwy.

But ya, take the second right turn into the park. 259A just does a circle through the park. After you turn and enter the park, you will cross over the dam. Lake is on your left and the start of Spillway Creek is on your right below you. The road to get down there will be behind you as you cross the dam. 100 yards down is a parking area on the right side. Thats Cardiac Hill.

Continue down the road for a bit. the road will start to bend to the right and you will see the main dam. As soon as the gaurd rail stops, turn right, before going over the dam. On down this hill you will cross over the river. On your left is Cold Hole/Meat Hole and on your right is the end of Spillway Creek. The small foot bridge is the start of Lost Creek and the red zone. The Bluffs are just down stream of the footbridge 300 yards or so. Big root system at the top of the run. Deep too. the bluffs drop you in the best hole in the river usually. Its where Lost Creek dumps back into the river. Below that run is the upper end of the Evening Hole. All the way to the bridge. You can see a cabin up in the mountain above the bridge.

Start at the bottom of the Evening Hole and walk to the Spillway Dam and fish every hole. You will have fun doing it. Spillway Creek is the Pretty area. From the Evening Hole Bridge to the BeaversBend Fly Shop, are a bunch of nice camp grounds with fish right there......

[Linked Image]

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8602818 02/18/13 02:31 AM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
fly shops have maps... i think.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8603116 02/18/13 03:31 AM
B
BaffinBay Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Thats just retarded...

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8604634 02/18/13 04:39 PM
G
GoldSpoonr Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
That's why Carey is a class act!

If you feel like a riot
Then dont you deny it
Put your good foot forward
Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8606092 02/18/13 09:44 PM
V
Venema Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
V
Carey,
Thank you very much for all the info. Your reputation precedes you, I constantly hear about you from other fishermen in the Dallas area. Everyone talks how you are one of the best in the area, even staff at Cabelas and Bass Pro! I will definatly be booking some guided trips areound the dallas area with you! I am also going to be putting in a nice order of your flies as well!

Thank you all again and I will let you know how it goes up there!

Re: Lower Mt Fork River - Broken Bow,OK - Trout Fishing Report With Pics And Video [Re: TarponFly] #8632946 02/25/13 05:19 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
LMF February 23-24

Saturday was the LMF one fly tournament. Dozens of anglers throwing March Browns in the EH area. If anyhone knows of a winner or result, please post it. The area was a zoo for most of the day. Spillway had fewer fish than normal - possibly due to slightly lower stock rates and an earlier stock date. We still managed to catch 15-20 among the crowds. For fun today I counted the total number of anglers on the 1.2 mile stretch of spillway creek. Counting the cold hole, from top to bottom, 231 rods in the water. About 2/3 were bait or spinners. No ulterior motive here, just having fun.

Sunday I hooked up with TarponFly and a few clients in Z3 below the rereg dam. Great weather, postcard sunrise, and hungry fish. In about 3 hours we totaled about 75-100 fish. The three main pools all held hundreds of fish. They had 4 gates open, so the water was churning a little more than normal. No Sand Bass or stripers yet, but we did see a few Walleye. The big riffle and pool about 100 yards below the dam was on fire, too. Slightly larger fish in this area. I had a new fish toy to try out, so I dug it out here. It is a small hand held scale. Here is what I learned: average 12" rainbow weighed about 11 ounces, 16" bow was 23 ounces. A few small browns (6") were 3 ounces. Interesting stuff if you like numbers and pay attention to the new hatchery reports. Z3 has easy fishing right now. Until the 8 foot no hackle dry flies show up around Memorial day!

All in all a great weekend on the LMF. I just couldn't leave work behind so I counted everything I could smile

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide