Print Thread
New Collegiate Bass Fishing Team #6622060 09/12/11 03:40 PM
K
KS374 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
K
I want to introduce myself to this section of TFF as a member of the new UT Dallas bass fishing team. As a new part of the UT Dallas student organizations, our team receives little if any financial aid towards tournaments, gear, jerseys, etc. which limits our ability to participate in many tournaments and expand our visibility in the collegiate fishing world. I was just wondering how most of the clubs on here deal with getting the capital to pay for the team/club's expenses. Any fundraising ideas and ways to go about reaching out to companies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Re: New Collegiate Bass Fishing Team [Re: KS374] #6622078 09/12/11 03:44 PM
R
RaiderDale33 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
If you guys can get some good sponsors that wouldn't mind helping y'all on prices or send you some free gear, that'll always help. Also, a fundraiser tournament can really help a club out. We have one every year and it brings in a good amount of money that we can put towards traveling/lodging for some tournaments. I'm glad to hear that another school has started a club, It's a fun deal for sure. Just be sure to get ahold of Wade Middleton with Boat US to ensure that you get a chance to go to the national championship. Do the same with ESPN.

Guess who's back
Back Again
RD's back
Tell your friends

#ChickenSpaghetti2020

Re: New Collegiate Bass Fishing Team [Re: RaiderDale33] #6625019 09/13/11 02:54 AM
K
KS374 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
K
Thanks! Ill make sure to relay the advice to the team. Just asking for a ballpark estimate, but approximately how much did a fundraising tournament cost your team?

Re: New Collegiate Bass Fishing Team [Re: KS374] #6775403 10/26/11 07:49 PM
H
hoss1324 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
good luck, it's been tough over here at UNT this year also

Re: New Collegiate Bass Fishing Team [Re: KS374] #6775665 10/26/11 08:47 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
That's the nature of the beast. My advice is to distance yourself from asking the school for assistance because the more they help you, the more control they're going to demand of your operation; most importantly, your winnings if or when they come.

When we set up the first fundraiser at TTU, the main expense was man-hours. We reached out to anyone looking for exposure and the desire to help out a fundraiser for a good cause, (getting our top three teams a paid trip to nationals and back) and we were fortunate to receive a great deal of assistance from folks like Sandy Creek Marina, Still Waters Bass Club and many others. You may be surprised how willing folks are to help out a good cause if you can clearly explain what you will do for them (exposure/advertising on jerseys, posters, your website etc.) in exchange for some help financially or with product.

Just don't expect hand outs. That doesn't work very often and it gives us college guys a bad wrap if you don't return the favor for someone that helps you.

We ultimately spent around $100 to get food supplies for our weigh-in cookout and some other small things. Managed to pay out $900 to first place, paid eight places out of 34 and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. We netted $600 from that event and a lot of good connections. It can be intimidating to put one that big on and we actually limited how much advertising we put out because we were afraid it would get too big for us to handle on our first try. But, 34 teams was pretty easy.

You should definitely get in touch with the folks at CarecoTV (They administer the BoatUS Championships). They honestly care about every club that gets started and they want to keep them running. I'd suggest giving Danny or the bossman Wade a call sometime. Just being associated with the Association of Collegiate Anglers (BoatUS Championships) grants you access to a lot of discounts with several companies with little obligation for your club.

Wade Middleton - Director
CarecoTV LLC
Phone: (210) 697-8081
E-mail: wade@carecotv.com

Danny Blandford - Head of Sales and Marketing
CarecoTV LLC
Phone: (812) 219-5681
E-mail: danny@carecotv.com

You can message me if you have any questions too. I've been in the college game for a while now.

Scott Jones
Re: New Collegiate Bass Fishing Team [Re: Outdoordude] #6788565 10/30/11 03:52 AM
Brandon Dickenson Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
That's the nature of the beast. My advice is to distance yourself from asking the school for assistance because the more they help you, the more control they're going to demand of your operation; most importantly, your winnings if or when they come.

When we set up the first fundraiser at TTU, the main expense was man-hours. We reached out to anyone looking for exposure and the desire to help out a fundraiser for a good cause, (getting our top three teams a paid trip to nationals and back) and we were fortunate to receive a great deal of assistance from folks like Sandy Creek Marina, Still Waters Bass Club and many others. You may be surprised how willing folks are to help out a good cause if you can clearly explain what you will do for them (exposure/advertising on jerseys, posters, your website etc.) in exchange for some help financially or with product.

Just don't expect hand outs. That doesn't work very often and it gives us college guys a bad wrap if you don't return the favor for someone that helps you.

We ultimately spent around $100 to get food supplies for our weigh-in cookout and some other small things. Managed to pay out $900 to first place, paid eight places out of 34 and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. We netted $600 from that event and a lot of good connections. It can be intimidating to put one that big on and we actually limited how much advertising we put out because we were afraid it would get too big for us to handle on our first try. But, 34 teams was pretty easy.

You should definitely get in touch with the folks at CarecoTV (They administer the BoatUS Championships). They honestly care about every club that gets started and they want to keep them running. I'd suggest giving Danny or the bossman Wade a call sometime. Just being associated with the Association of Collegiate Anglers (BoatUS Championships) grants you access to a lot of discounts with several companies with little obligation for your club.

Wade Middleton - Director
CarecoTV LLC
Phone: (210) 697-8081
E-mail: wade@carecotv.com

Danny Blandford - Head of Sales and Marketing
CarecoTV LLC
Phone: (812) 219-5681
E-mail: danny@carecotv.com

You can message me if you have any questions too. I've been in the college game for a while now.

I would be more than happy to help with any questions as well.

Brandon@Carecotv.com

Even though I wasn't good enough to make Outdoordude's list, I feel qualified to help. I went through the process at UNT and went through all kinds of issues. Please don't hesitate to contact me.

Re: New Collegiate Bass Fishing Team [Re: KS374] #6792488 10/31/11 02:48 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
That's no joke. I doubt many know the ends and outs of dealing with a university and getting a club running from scratch like Dickenson.

Scott Jones
Re: New Collegiate Bass Fishing Team [Re: KS374] #6792940 10/31/11 04:42 PM
C
ChrisTexan Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Might reach out to Barlow's tackle just off the top of my head since they are pretty much right around the corner there, as a sponsor or just generally to establish a relationship for future endeavours.

Re: New Collegiate Bass Fishing Team [Re: KS374] #6805444 11/03/11 07:45 PM
H
hoss1324 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Or like myself, refounding the club, lol. New account, new people, new programs, etc.

http://www.flwoutdoors.com/community/profile/blog.cfm?browseby=2193

Hey what ever happened to Leon?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide