Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Kayak Half-Price at Dick's [Re: Neumie] #6342223 06/27/11 11:51 PM
J
JCG57 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Neumie - I'm not advocating the Eagle Talon because I know nothing about it other than the sale price looked like a very good deal to me, but I'm not sure that the weight is really an issue. The listed weight of 68 pounds may be an "honest" figure; I'm not so sure about some of the other kayak manufacturers and their reported kayak weights. Example: Cobra lists the 12.5 foot Navigator XF at 48 pounds - I find that pretty hard to believe. My beloved Manta Ray 12 is listed at 64 pounds and it sure feels a lot heavier than that when I'm lifting it off the ground and over my head.

One other tip - if any of you have the Dallas Entertainment Book (of coupons) you can get another $20 or $30 (can't recall precise amount) off the purchase price at Dick's.

Re: Kayak Half-Price at Dick's [Re: JCG57] #6342923 06/28/11 02:39 AM
Robbie Milam Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
You guys better hurry...only one at that price

Re: Kayak Half-Price at Dick's [Re: Robbie Milam] #6342975 06/28/11 02:49 AM
T
texguppy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I went by the one on Northeast mall and they didn't have anything. The rest of the models were all dinged and scratched (not surprised by the big box stores).

Re: Kayak Half-Price at Dick's [Re: JCG57] #6343198 06/28/11 03:46 AM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted By: JCG57
Neumie - I'm not advocating the Eagle Talon because I know nothing about it other than the sale price looked like a very good deal to me, but I'm not sure that the weight is really an issue. The listed weight of 68 pounds may be an "honest" figure; I'm not so sure about some of the other kayak manufacturers and their reported kayak weights. Example: Cobra lists the 12.5 foot Navigator XF at 48 pounds - I find that pretty hard to believe. My beloved Manta Ray 12 is listed at 64 pounds and it sure feels a lot heavier than that when I'm lifting it off the ground and over my head........

I'm in the same boat as you. (ummmm, no pun intended) I made my opinions based on the different kayak hulls I have gotten to paddle.

I do believe that this is a great kayak for its price; it's got it all. The tankwell is well thought out, it comes with great accessories, and it looks like a very solid kayak.

I liken it to a cross between a Tarpon 120 and a Redfish 12. I believe it to be a nice cross-over between the two. More stability and tracking than the Tarpon 120, but a slightly wetter ride and more stubborn turning radius.

I know kayak manufacturers are "light" on their weights, but that kayak does feel heavy. My favorite kayak is the Perception Search 15. It's arguably, the heaviest sit-on-top fishing kayak ever made, but it is pretty awesome. wink

Josh

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Kayak Half-Price at Dick's [Re: Neumie] #6344251 06/28/11 03:35 PM
D
dangolephil Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
these r pretty good kayaks they track well and i believe they are better than the catser (just my opinion) they are stable and have great extras, 3 rod holders, bulit in well for bait bucket, lots of storage, anchor trolly and anchor. for $350 they are a good deal but that sale ends this saturday, then they go back up to $499

Re: Kayak Half-Price at Dick's [Re: JCG57] #6344329 06/28/11 03:59 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: JCG57
In case anyone is interested, The Dick's Sporting Goods in Flower Mound has a 12-foot Field & Stream Eagle Talon on sale for $350. Looks like it comes with rod holders, seat and anchor trolley all installed.

I called the internet# they said if I go to the store they could order it for me at the promo price. Turns out the Eagle Talon is not on sale, the Eagle Run is for $349, the Talon is $499. But the salesman said he could order either for me from the kiosk in the store and have it shipped to me, probably no freight charge. I doubt that, but that is great service.

The Dick's web site has the flyer at the top of the page and all the kayaks for sale. The talon for $350 would be a rocking deal.

Also the sales person said the Talon is a sit on top the Run is a sit inside.

Last edited by karpbuster; 06/28/11 04:02 PM.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: Kayak Half-Price at Dick's [Re: karpbuster] #6344599 06/28/11 05:18 PM
H
hirsch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I would say that if you have a local store go check it out. I definately saw an Eagle Talon at mine (Harker Heights)marked at $399 and asked the manufacturer. A sales girls tried to tell me that Field and Stream made it and she saw Field and Stream all over Arkansas including Walmart and Academy. I explained that Field and Stream was her employers label just as Magellan was Academy's and the twain never mixed. Finally she paged the department manager who told me it was made by Confluence so similarities to Wilderness Systems are not surprising.

If this were not the 10 weeks a year I do not draw a check I would have bought it as my SOT and a spare for guest.

Re: Kayak Half-Price at Dick's [Re: hirsch] #6344879 06/28/11 06:23 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: hirsch
I would say that if you have a local store go check it out. I definately saw an Eagle Talon at mine (Harker Heights)marked at $399 and asked the manufacturer. A sales girls tried to tell me that Field and Stream made it and she saw Field and Stream all over Arkansas including Walmart and Academy. I explained that Field and Stream was her employers label just as Magellan was Academy's and the twain never mixed. Finally she paged the department manager who told me it was made by Confluence so similarities to Wilderness Systems are not surprising.

If this were not the 10 weeks a year I do not draw a check I would have bought it as my SOT and a spare for guest.

My thoughts too, a spare one. I was calling the one in Shreveport the nearest but still over 80 miles. Chris at Dick's in Shreveport can not do it (a Talon for $350 or $399), he just got a orange Eagle Run in today so I could look at it.

I don't want a sit in kayak, so ... wait for the next go around.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: Kayak Half-Price at Dick's [Re: karpbuster] #6345755 06/28/11 10:30 PM
H
hirsch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Normally I prefer a SinK or solo canoes, but at the moment I do not have a SoT which fits a few uses better or at least more to my taste. But then I am as much a float camper as fishermen and have found the others better suited.

I think the SoT excells in open and rough water which is a small percentage of my use. But as an extra to loan and use in specific situations I might justify it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide