Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,810
Posts13,934,881
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
How to cast a TFO Mini Mag with Sage Bass Taper Line? #6303259 06/16/11 07:06 PM
P
pavsky Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
I am off to get my new TFO Mini Mag, 6-8 from Backwoods. I bought the Sage Smallmouth Bass line to go with it.

I have heard from some folks, including Stephen at BW, that to cast this line only requires an initial roll cast and then one back cast to shoot the line out.

I know there are some of you that use this rod and/or line. Can you give me some advice on any tips and tricks you have discovered to help me out. I consider myself to be a fly casting newbie and am worried that I do not have the experience needed to adjust to another type of technique.

Thanks in advance!

Re: How to cast a TFO Mini Mag with Sage Bass Taper Line? [Re: pavsky] #6303411 06/16/11 07:56 PM
D
derik d Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Dont expect to be able to cast 90' on one backcast with the rod unless you have a super awesome double haul, and double haul is something that is worth learning for any flyrod setup you may find yourself using.If you can cast one you can cast them all. Mini-Mag sure is one sweet bass rod even though it was intended for offshore saltwater fishing. Good Luck!

It's more than the catfish would do.
Re: How to cast a TFO Mini Mag with Sage Bass Taper Line? [Re: pavsky] #6303427 06/16/11 08:00 PM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: pavsky
I am off to get my new TFO Mini Mag, 6-8 from Backwoods. I bought the Sage Smallmouth Bass line to go with it.

I have heard from some folks, including Stephen at BW, that to cast this line only requires an initial roll cast and then one back cast to shoot the line out.

I know there are some of you that use this rod and/or line. Can you give me some advice on any tips and tricks you have discovered to help me out. I consider myself to be a fly casting newbie and am worried that I do not have the experience needed to adjust to another type of technique.

Thanks in advance!

I definitely agree with Stephen at BW that the 6-8 MiniMag is a load and shoot fly rod, providing that you are proficient roll caster and can double haul with a short back cast.
What weight is your Sage Smallmouth fly line? IIRC this line may have a 20ft belly for short accurate casts, which IMO limits distance.

I use a WF-10-F on my 6-8 MiniMag with my load and shoot casting style - such as it is. Good choice on the MiniMag!

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds.
Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: How to cast a TFO Mini Mag with Sage Bass Taper Line? [Re: George Glazener] #6303430 06/16/11 08:00 PM
O
Odatria Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
I have fished with the Mini Mag a few times and really liked it. I think you will find there isnt much of a learning curve with this model. Newbie or not, best case scenario is getting a rod to do what it was designed to do. If you are worried that you're not going to be able to get the line as far as you are used to with a roll cast and one back cast, you're probably right. This rod wasnt designed for distance. In fact, on TFO's Rod Power Matrix it rates about half of TiCr, TiCrX, BVK etc... in the distance category. But this rod is BIG on presentation and STRENGTH. Get out there and cast it a few times and you'll see what I mean. Nice rod!

"I got ninety-nine problems but a fish ain't one!"
Re: How to cast a TFO Mini Mag with Sage Bass Taper Line? [Re: Odatria] #6303630 06/16/11 08:47 PM
P
pavsky Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Thanks folks!

George, I was hoping to hear from you! I have lurked on many o' posts from you discussing TFO rods and the Mini-Mag. I think that is what turned me on to it. The Sage line is a 290 grain. Stephen thought this would be the best weight to put on versus the 300-grain Largemouth model.

I do have a decent roll cast. I perfected it when just starting because I could not false cast for anything! Its like when I was a kid and never got picked for the basketball games because I was so bad. I would just stand on the side and practice spinning the ball on one finger. I still suck a basketball bal can do tricks like a Harlem Globe Trotter!

I am not sure on the double haul. I have tried watching youtube videos, but think I need someone to show me in person. All I am getting is some modified self-taught version that isn't exactly right... sort of like my typing!

I saw the power matrix regarding distance, but am not too concerned. I can't cast all that far anyway. I will mostly use this rod on small water with my new redneck Styrofoam kickboat that I built.

Thanks for the input!

Re: How to cast a TFO Mini Mag with Sage Bass Taper Line? [Re: pavsky] #6303683 06/16/11 09:04 PM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
pavsky, instead of a roll cast, try a short "flip" false cast and make a good backcast while letting out line and shoot that sucker!
Good choice on the 290 grain line.
Get some help on the double haul!

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds.
Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: How to cast a TFO Mini Mag with Sage Bass Taper Line? [Re: George Glazener] #6305079 06/17/11 03:27 AM
T
tly Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
pavsky,good advice George gave you,I dont think the Mini-mag roll casts good anyway,do the short flip cast ,watch your backcast and shoot that sucker!Go to youtube" Once in a Blue Moon"Drake 2009 Flyfishing award video,watch it 3 or 4 times,it helped me alot.

Re: How to cast a TFO Mini Mag with Sage Bass Taper Line? [Re: tly] #6306363 06/17/11 04:03 PM
P
pavsky Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Thanks guys! Check out my foam boat that I just finished. All it needs is a seat cushion and I am set! My wife says that it is the ugliest redneck thing she has ever seen. I think its beautiful...

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...oat#Post6306342

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide