Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review #4657740 03/26/10 06:16 AM
H
HardHook Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
The i pilot is awesome....The Terrova has the foot control which i hardly use...the turning is alot slower then your normal cable foot control...but u will get use too it...once you learn how too use all the features theres really no use for the foot control...i only use the right / left arrows on the foot control to make minor adjustments when in auto pilot I recorded a track too fish my cove and it works great i only have too worry about the speed which u can set in two ways(cruise control for small adjustment or your 1-10 settings). The spot lock works great also, but you have too get use too setting it....put the bow straight into the wind and make sure u start too drift back alittle before pressing it...The other day i lined the boat on the edge of the point with the bow in the wind using spot lock in about 20 - 25mph winds and fished from the back of the boat(allowed me too get better casting distance / angle) it kept me right on spot with very little drift and i didnt have too touch the trolling motor. I watched about 2 other guys come and leave cause they were having trouble holding the boat to there liking while i sat there fishing from the back of the boat..This motor is easy too use in the wind with or without the spot lock feature. This motor allows me too fish without fighting my trolling motor or having too be a foot away from the foot control in the wind. I have been able too concentrate more on my surroundings, and I gained more focus and confidence on the water..i dont work for Minn Kota by the way....lol sounds kinda lame but its true thumb

The only thing i can say i dont like about the i-pilot:

slower turning(but smoother at high speed's)

The think beeps everytime u hit a button (you may be able to silence it not sure)

The electronic turning is a little noisey (like a RC car kinda noise...if that makes any sense)doesnt seem to bother the fish...The actual motor is very quiet on the other hand.

Although you can install i-pilot on any Terrvoa? the only ones i could find with it already installed on was a 60" shaft...this may have changed but i hear its really easy too install your self just a few screws (that was kinda a blessing in disguise...that will allow me to have more trolling motor in the water when fishing in choppy conditions. its really easy too adjust the depth of the trolling motor for shallow conditions)

The arrows both on the remote and under the actual foot control are a little sensitive.

The whole remote should light up instead of just the screen for us night fisherman

All in All i give it a 9.5 out of 10
It's not for everyone though i can see some having a hard change over from a cable foot control motor...I would recommend too try one first if you have any doubts...If your ever near T-bend and wanna see it in action before making such a large purchase let me know.

The install was very easy also. Hoped this helped some of you guys who are still considering this motor. Agian this is just my two cents but give one a try its a great upgrade for the boat

PS sorry if its kinda sloppy Im not a writer

Last edited by HardHook; 03/26/10 06:19 AM.
Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: HardHook] #4657869 03/26/10 11:25 AM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Nice. Mine is installed on my boat waiting for a good day to hit the lake when I'm off. Put it on last Sunday after a foot of snow hit the ground. Hopefully this weekend will be the day.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: Bobcat1] #4657891 03/26/10 11:40 AM
OkieBob Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have a smaller boat so I boutht the PowerDrive V2 55# with 54" shaft and iPilot factory installed from BPS for $830. I have it installed and hope to get out this weekend to try it out.
Mine did not come with a foot control, only the remote. I understand I can get a foot control but, want to learn to use the hand held remote and get away from a foot control all together. Or, if I have to, maybe get a wireless foot control that can be moved anywhere on the boat.
Can't wait to try it out, it looks great.
Okie Bob

I'M SOONER BORN, SOONER BRED AND WHEN I DIE I'LL BE SOONER DEAD!
Chickasaw proud.
[Linked Image]CallMatthew@972-754-1698 http://jigumjigs.com

MEMBER WALLY MARSHALL'S MR CRAPPIE PROSTAFF
MEMBER JIGUM JIGS PROSTAFF
Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: OkieBob] #4658117 03/26/10 01:16 PM
fastguy� Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Good to see someone else likes it as much as I do.
Fishing deeper water and not running the bank I have fewer issues with the turning speed.

It ain't easy making it look easy.

Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: fastguy�] #4658780 03/26/10 03:12 PM
S
Sabot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Nice report!

Agreed, it's tough to use at night. A yellow cover for the buttons would have showed up a bit better at night or in low light conditions or lighted key pad. Maybe on the next revision.

I noticed my batteries are draining more due to the motor running a lot more during Spot Lock. I have a dual 12v setup so it's not been an issue so far.

PREDATOR MK ANGLER
Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: Sabot] #4659714 03/26/10 06:14 PM
F
Fatbass Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Great Report !

“You’ve got to catch them every single day,” said VanDam
Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: fastguy�] #4661248 03/27/10 12:04 AM
H
HardHook Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted By: fastguy®
Good to see someone else likes it as much as I do.
Fishing deeper water and not running the bank I have fewer issues with the turning speed.

In my opinion its the best motor available for deep water.(glad you like your also, havent heard anyone say they didnt yet).I'm a bass fisherman and spend most of my time in the shallow's and i still love it(even fishing in narrow coves and creeks). since the thing basically drives itself i have the extra time too glance ahead and make small corrections to stay clear of anything..Like i said it just takes a little getting used too. smile

Glad you guys liked the report it was my first go at this kinda thing

Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: Bobcat1] #4661257 03/27/10 12:06 AM
H
HardHook Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted By: Bobcat1
Nice. Mine is installed on my boat waiting for a good day to hit the lake when I'm off. Put it on last Sunday after a foot of snow hit the ground. Hopefully this weekend will be the day.

Thats a good time too put it on.....lol....i put mine on a few cold fronts ago....let us know how u like it.

Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: HardHook] #4661286 03/27/10 12:13 AM
gregd Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
thanks for the detailed information. great review. i wish more folks would/could do this.

thanks again!

Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: gregd] #4662787 03/27/10 01:31 PM
K
Karl J.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Excellent review since I am 99% sure I am getting one myself.

Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: Karl J.S.] #4664602 03/28/10 01:01 AM
horseplaydvm Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I just got mine and tried to put it on my 2009 Skeeter. I could not mount the bracket on the bow because the holes are too close to the front of the boat in order to allow the motor shaft to deploy. Also, the foot control is too wide for the recessed area in the floor. I'm Bummed! I will have to send it back and will surely miss being able to use the i-pilot features.

[Linked Image]
Gone Fishing
B.A.S. 6/5/47-6/6/12
C.W.S. 9/29/72- 10/17/23
Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: horseplaydvm] #4664702 03/28/10 01:23 AM
H
HardHook Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
I just got mine and tried to put it on my 2009 Skeeter. I could not mount the bracket on the bow because the holes are too close to the front of the boat in order to allow the motor shaft to deploy. Also, the foot control is too wide for the recessed area in the floor. I'm Bummed! I will have to send it back and will surely miss being able to use the i-pilot features.

Sorry too hear that...i had some issue with the mounting....i had too use the firt and second set of holes...it states too try too use the holes furthest apart...but havent had any issues with it yet....if i start too notice a problem i will get a plate made too help support it..just a thought

Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: HardHook] #4665026 03/28/10 02:41 AM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: HardHook
Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm

Sorry too hear that...i had some issue with the mounting....i had too use the firt and second set of holes...it states too try too use the holes furthest apart...but havent had any issues with it yet....if i start too notice a problem i will get a plate made too help support it..just a thought
It fit on the very front of my 2008 Champion. I also saw an illustration of how to run a Humminbird Side Imaging cable down the groove in the shaft. It was so simple and now there are NO hanging wires or a chance it will pinch or twist the wire in half doing a 360 degree turn. AllanW found the link on Crappie.com http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishing-e...ucer-mount.html and I followed the instructions to the letter. One extra picture on page 2 also. It is a real neat nice install. Now if the wind will stop blowing I will test it on the lake. I already am in love with the 3 different ways you can control it manually. The recessed place in the floor had to be built up and carpeted too. Spanky did that for me and installed the trolling motor. It took some doing but it is as solid as it can be. So now I have a 997 at the console, 798 in the bow and the I-Pilot. AllanW also said the down imaging on the trolling motor is awesome. He said to slow the chart speed down for better results. Makes sense. Old Folks like Spanky and AllanW can make things easy if you listen. Thanks guys!

Bobby Barnett

Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: OkieBob] #4668366 03/29/10 02:31 AM
O
one-3lb-er Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
I may be wrong, but I heard you could not use a foot ctl on a PD 2.
Originally Posted By: OkieBob
I have a smaller boat so I boutht the PowerDrive V2 55# with 54" shaft and iPilot factory installed from BPS for $830. I have it installed and hope to get out this weekend to try it out.
Mine did not come with a foot control, only the remote. I understand I can get a foot control but, want to learn to use the hand held remote and get away from a foot control all together. Or, if I have to, maybe get a wireless foot control that can be moved anywhere on the boat.
Can't wait to try it out, it looks great.
Okie Bob

"One-3Lb-er"
PB= 3Lb 4 OZ
Texarkana, TX
Fish in Texas=Wright Patman, Lake of Pines, Caddo: Arkansas=Millwood, Greeson, Dierks, White Oak: Oklahoma=Pine Creek, Hugo.
Re: Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot........My Review [Re: Sabot] #4669587 03/29/10 02:10 PM
trlrman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Sabot
Nice report!

Agreed, it's tough to use at night. A yellow cover for the buttons would have showed up a bit better at night or in low light conditions or lighted key pad. Maybe on the next revision.

I noticed my batteries are draining more due to the motor running a lot more during Spot Lock. I have a dual 12v setup so it's not been an issue so far.
are you unplugging your tm when storing the boat ? the gps feature still works when not in use, maybe this is draining you batteries ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide