Forums59
Topics1,037,310
Posts13,926,060
Members144,132
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9216833 08/10/13 06:52 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: fishin_on_credit88
i was a a walmart a few weeks ago and these guys were about to buy their sink kayaks and go fishing... welll i spoke up and let them know that they were about to waste their hard earned cash on something they wont like and explained the basics of kayaks and why they need to shop around... the sales guy said thanks bc he didnt wanna have to get em down lol

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9388544 10/11/13 03:52 PM
D
Dougy Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE
Originally Posted By: R E N
Look at people's signature & you'll find out which is the best kayak cheers

hammer loco_2 dunce
BINGO!!

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9415574 10/20/13 09:49 PM
B
Bandit03 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I notice several comments about a Bait Tank for Yak's. Can't build one for every Yak,but might be able to mold a universal size. Would need enough interest to justify building a mold.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9701640 02/03/14 12:28 PM
C
ClydeWilliams Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Hello all,

I just love fishing, and been doing that with my dad since I was a little kid. Now I suggested to him that we combine fishing with kayaking, to introduce some 'adrenaline' into our hobby :P So, I was wondering if I could ask for some objective opinions about the two we had in mind. Which is better and why, from a fishermen's point of view?

1. http://www.tandemkayakreviews.com/lifetime-sport-fisher-kayak-with-paddles-and-backrests-review/

2. http://www.tandemkayakreviews.com/sea-eagle-330-inflatable-kayak-with-deluxe-package-review/

Also, I would like to know what exactly are the benefits of inflatable kayak over regular one?

Thank you in advance smile

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9703217 02/03/14 09:03 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F
Clyde,

2 adult males in a SMAll kayak can work if your just using it to get
where you want to fish off the bank or
Fishing a Small Pond, Creek or small River (protected flat waters).

I personally prefer to have my own yak. My youngest son (currently 45lbs) goes
with me but, only when the conditions are right.
I plan on getting him his own when he can
manage one. Advise you look at a Canoe or similar hybrid kayak for 2 people.
Lifetime doesn't make great yaks.
Don't see them being able to make a good little 2 MAN angler yak honestly.
Adults usually FISH independently because slinging fish hooks in such tight proximity
can be hazardous to your health. Also no one wants to turtle & loose gear.
If your just set to do the 2 MAN yak thing look at Malibu XL by ocean or Jacksons
Big Tuna to name a few.

These yaks have higher weight limits & r wider for extra
stability. Big n long they aren't really designed for small protected waters however.
Consider getting 2 New Pescador kayaks & a trailer to haul them.
U could also get 2 gently used name brand yaks. When you do it this way you'll
often pick up a paddle, jacket, seat & extra goodies y'all can use.
IF THEY LOOK ROUGH DON'T BUY EM!

I feel that the only MAJOR benefit of an an inflatable is storage space ;~)

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9727152 02/11/14 10:35 AM
F
FisherTeng85 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Wassup TFF!!! new user but ive always visited this forum......i just wanted everyone opinion on basspro's ascend d10? thinking about picking one up and i would like to hear everyone's thoughts on it..... i plan on fishing small ponds and creeks and lakes similar in size to joe pool ....think it can handle well out there????

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9730265 02/12/14 02:48 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F
D10s r nice IMO. U want at least 150 lbs rating over everything thats going in your vessel.
Dont get on the lake when its rough.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9886061 04/06/14 03:40 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: PayneFish
...The deal had to be done and at the price I was getting I bought them. Sight unseen. With no demo.
24 hours after I heard about the deal I picked up the kayaks. Wanting to play with my new toys I headed to the lake. Having come from a 10 foot long sit inside kayak, this new 14 foot sit on top was going to be awesome! Except, it wasn't.
As soon as I pushed off from the shore I started to rock. It took everything I had to stay upright and not tip over. I paddled a little bit, struggling the whole time. I hated this kayak. 10 minutes after I started I wanted to get rid of it. My Pelican NEVER did this.

A month after I bought the Heritage, I sold it.

I made too many mistakes. I failed to demo. The guy even offered to let me try it out. I refused because I knew other people were interested and didn't want to lose the deal. I was so anxious to get out of my old kayak I didn't check it out...

Read the rest at: http://www.paynespaddlefish.com/2014/03/failed-to-demo.html

Another example of why we say paddle before you buy (New or Used)
Thanx 4 sharing w/us Payne cheers

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9888068 04/07/14 01:02 PM
dandeeks Offline
Angler
Angler
Hello members of the TFF. I'm also a new user who just moved to Texas thinking about getting myself a 'yak. Does anyone know of any good places that would rent me one so I can see how I like it?

any feedback appreciated!
thanks
Dan

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: dandeeks] #9894545 04/09/14 05:38 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: dandeeks
Does anyone know of any good places that would rent me one so I can see how I like it?

Dan
i dont know what kind they rent but here is a link to whiterock in dallas http://www.whiterockpaddle.com/

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9895568 04/10/14 12:07 AM
dandeeks Offline
Angler
Angler
thanks

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9930536 04/23/14 06:45 PM
S
Sunup Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Should have been paddled before he went and purchased. whip rolfmao
Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE
Originally Posted By: PayneFish
...The deal had to be done and at the price I was getting I bought them. Sight unseen. With no demo.
24 hours after I heard about the deal I picked up the kayaks. Wanting to play with my new toys I headed to the lake. Having come from a 10 foot long sit inside kayak, this new 14 foot sit on top was going to be awesome! Except, it wasn't.
As soon as I pushed off from the shore I started to rock. It took everything I had to stay upright and not tip over. I paddled a little bit, struggling the whole time. I hated this kayak. 10 minutes after I started I wanted to get rid of it. My Pelican NEVER did this.

A month after I bought the Heritage, I sold it.

I made too many mistakes. I failed to demo. The guy even offered to let me try it out. I refused because I knew other people were interested and didn't want to lose the deal. I was so anxious to get out of my old kayak I didn't check it out...

Read the rest at: http://www.paynespaddlefish.com/2014/03/failed-to-demo.html

Another example of why we say paddle before you buy (New or Used)
Thanx 4 sharing w/us Payne cheers

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #9964124 05/06/14 11:33 PM
B
Bakerman Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Not that we need another view point or page at this stage but look at what the kayak outfitters are using. They need durability, stability and ease of maintenance. You'll see a lot of Ocean Kayaks and others. Go on a paddle with the crowd and rent their boats. See if kayaking is the thing for you.

I fish from what ever kayak I have at the time. The touring kayak has rod holders. The fishing kayak has rod holders. I find the most pleasure at simple fishing. One rod. A little tackle. Maybe a bag of jig heads and some soft plastice and that's it. Leatherman in my vest. Larger knife for knife things. Some sit ons can carry a lot of stuff but why go to all that trouble. If I want stuff I can take the Center Console.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #10037819 06/04/14 10:18 PM
dandeeks Offline
Angler
Angler
New to this.. so this thread is great.

QUESTION: If I want a kayak with foot pedals and a propeller... should I be looking for one that already has that or is it something that you customize to any yak?

thanks in advance (hope i put this in the right place)

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: dandeeks] #10038230 06/05/14 01:01 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: dandeeks
New to this.. so this thread is great.

QUESTION: If I want a kayak with foot pedals and a propeller... should I be looking for one that already has that or is it something that you customize to any yak?

The kayaks with foot pedals and a propeller are the Native brand kayaks. The Mariner and Slayer propel, and I think they have an Ultimate with pedals also.
The others that have foot pedals, but have the Mirage drive (slightly different drive mechanism) are the Hobie kayaks.
But in answer to your question is yes, you have to look for one that already has that setup unless you build your own from scratch, (mirage drive sold seperately) as one member here has done, but that takes some skills to accomplish.
Actually the best place to ask questions is post a question as a "New Topic" since posting on this thread is not really a question and answer post, but mainly an informational "How To" thread. You'll generally get a faster response opening a new topic.

Last edited by Jimbo; 06/05/14 01:14 AM.

Just one more cast!

Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide