Forums59
Topics1,037,829
Posts13,935,240
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? #4563372 03/04/10 04:29 PM
M
manny_G_77 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
I've often heard that when the lake is releasing water the bass are not as active. Anyone know why? And how can you entice them to bite, in this scenario?

Last edited by manny_G_77; 03/04/10 04:31 PM.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: manny_G_77] #4563437 03/04/10 04:46 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Actually the opposite is normally true. When the Dam is releasing water, there is a current created. With the current, Bass normally set up on the down stream side of structure and just wait for their prey to swim by. Most pros use the release schedule as one of their tools regarding where to fish...

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: KingwoodCat] #4563469 03/04/10 04:54 PM
HooksetBrother - Adam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A normal release I believe would set you up for great conditions, but when they have the flood gates wide open like they have going at Lake Belton than I believe it may affect them differently. Most anglers I have talked to in the past week have said the water level dropped drastically and believe the fish are affected. It is about spawn time at Lake Belton and with Water dropping hard for them to nest!

Hookset Brothers Combat Recovery non profit organization
Empowering Veterans with combat related PTSD by providing them Hunting and Fishing recovery trips
Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: KingwoodCat] #4563501 03/04/10 05:02 PM
M
manny_G_77 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: KingwoodCat
Actually the opposite is normally true. When the Dam is releasing water, there is a current created. With the current, Bass normally set up on the down stream side of structure and just wait for their prey to swim by. Most pros use the release schedule as one of their tools regarding where to fish...

Are you speaking of the lake or the low side of the dam?

Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: HooksetBrother - Adam] #4563521 03/04/10 05:08 PM
M
manny_G_77 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: 123 set hook
A normal release I believe would set you up for great conditions, but when they have the flood gates wide open like they have going at Lake Belton than I believe it may affect them differently. Most anglers I have talked to in the past week have said the water level dropped drastically and believe the fish are affected. It is about spawn time at Lake Belton and with Water dropping hard for them to nest!

I frequent Lavon and the past two outings I have zero'd out(during dam releases). I normally can at least get one nibble but nothing.
I was wondering if the high volume of release was affecting the bass ambush abilities since it's hard to adjust to the changing levels. These drastic releases are not normal for Lavon and am questioning whether the bass are confused and can't settle down on the changing structure.

Thanks for the info guys.

Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: manny_G_77] #4563529 03/04/10 05:10 PM
WaterLogged Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Current is created in the high side too, just as letting the water from the bathtub. The current is usually a good thing, but the falling water will reposition the fish, most likely deeper, so you will have to look for them again

Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: WaterLogged] #4563549 03/04/10 05:14 PM
R
Rudy Lackey Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
They move away from the bank, still feeding.

Rudy
Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: WaterLogged] #4563552 03/04/10 05:15 PM
M
manny_G_77 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: WaterLogged
Current is created in the high side too, just as letting the water from the bathtub. The current is usually a good thing, but the falling water will reposition the fish, most likely deeper, so you will have to look for them again

Gotcha. Makes total sense.

Now to find deep structure on Lavon. That explains why I might not be getting bites, I haven't mastered "offshore" fishing.

Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: manny_G_77] #4563608 03/04/10 05:29 PM
TIM CLINE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
The Dam releases affects us more than the fish. The fish react to their in enviroment. Tyipcally in a river system like in Tenn. current is daily and the ledges on the lakes are fairly shallow and helps the fish group together. The problem with the Lakes here in North Texas the river ledges are either non-existant or they are in deep water. Therefore the fish are harder to find. The main thing to keep in mind is if the water level is changing chances are the fish are moving with it to stay in that comfort zone. Lavon right now is probably muddy and cold. I would get away from the main lake mud this time of year the backs of your creeks and coves and the corners on bridges and rip rap will clear the fastest and warm the fastest. So on a day like today look for these areas that are close to or in spawning area. The fish will move to these locations regaurdless of water temp based on the photo period or length of day. These fish may not be in the mood to feed but I am sure they are ready after the past couple of days. IF water is extremely muddy go shallow after a day of sun go even shallower muddy water warms faster and will hold its heat better than clear water. I am not syaing you will light the place up but you should be able to find a few fish. Find the deepest water close to a bank or weed line and fish that cover. Say for example on a day like to day if you have a clump of gator weed hagning in 1 foot of water and it is right next to a 2 to 3 foot depression or channel chances are a fish is taking up residence. When water is changing levels the fish are moving in our lakes when they are running water that means either the lake is filling realy fast and rising and they need to catch up or they are lowering the level in the river system lakes again like in Tenn. and many you see on on TV shows the water level stays the same because it is coming and going at the same rate so it not quite the same as here when our gates are open. Remember this old saying "if you believe the fish is there he will be if you don't then why the hell are you fishing there."

Last edited by TIM CLINE; 03/04/10 07:03 PM.
Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: TIM CLINE] #4563755 03/04/10 05:54 PM
BNKrust Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Great info, Tim. Thanks. Happen to be fishing a tourney on Belton this weekend and this will come into play pretty heavily.

[Linked Image]

Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: TIM CLINE] #4563765 03/04/10 05:56 PM
M
manny_G_77 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Excellent suggestions Tim.
I can't wait to try them out.
The back of the creeks were exactly as you described on Sunday, there was a 4 degree difference from the main lake. I beat that cove with not one bite. I now think they were in the same area and I was passing them up without a second or third cast. I know where the fish are I just now have to be patient and that's hard for me to do this early in the season.
Thanks again for the suggestions ya'll.

Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: manny_G_77] #4564016 03/04/10 07:11 PM
WaterLogged Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
They may not be deep, but with waterline retreating it should push them off. Instead of looking deep, use your electronics and stay shallower, but stay close to deeper water access, maybe on tops of ditches or ledges. Its a tough call, this time of year they should be going shallow, but with water leaving it should push them off. They may still be shallow, but with quick access or close access to deeper water.

Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: WaterLogged] #4564096 03/04/10 07:38 PM
M
manny_G_77 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
They may not be deep, but with waterline retreating it should push them off. Instead of looking deep, use your electronics and stay shallower, but stay close to deeper water access, maybe on tops of ditches or ledges. Its a tough call, this time of year they should be going shallow, but with water leaving it should push them off. They may still be shallow, but with quick access or close access to deeper water.
[s][/s]

the water is right at about 1 foot over. at the rate that they have been releasing it should be shut off by Sunday.
Once this happens I hope they are comfortable enough to feed in the shallows. I know of a place similar to what you describe as quick access to deep.

Thanks everyone.

Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: manny_G_77] #4564222 03/04/10 08:04 PM
bassfishinglawyer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Manny - normally the current created by the water release sets bass up at ambush points and gets them active. However, you mentioned Lavon. Throw out anything you have heard about other lakes when fishing Lavon, especially when water is being released. The Lavon veterans will tell you that you'd better be lucky than good any time water is being released out there. So don't get discouraged. Plus, it is a tough pre-spawn lake.

Re: how does releasing water in dam lakes affect the bass? [Re: WaterLogged] #4564237 03/04/10 08:09 PM
C
COHLMEYER Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C

+2

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide