Print Thread
Hammock Tents. #4399548 01/24/10 03:40 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
I keep on mentioning my hammock in the OT section, but I really want to state my full opinion on them somewhere, and this may be useful to some people, so, I'm posting in the camping section!

I'm an avid camper, canoer (or is that canoeist), hiking, fishing, etc. Just about anything outdoors. And I've hated tents. You track in anything and everything... mud, leaves, sand, you name it. If anyone has gone camping in BAD skeeter country (deep south east Texas comes to mind, or Goose Island) you know there's no way to keep the darn skeeters out when you're coming in and out of the tent.

There's the problem of setting it up on a level place, there's roots and rocks, and you're down on the level of every snake, raccoon, skunk, and god knows what other wildlife. Not to mention how HEAVY it all is. And everybody wakes up aching from sleeping on the ground.

Well, sometime last winter we heard about the Hennessey Hammock and after a great deal of research, decided to get two. One for my hubby, and one for me.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love these hammocks, or how much they are worth every single penny.

Last year, we took them on various camping trips, including a trip down the Brazos River. In Sept. they were a little cool in overnight temperatures, because we only had very thin sleeping bags and weren't expecting to get cold.

That problem is resolved with the Super Shelter .

Getting the whole thing tied up is a bit fiddly, but unless there's absolutely NO trees, there's always a place to hang, and that's much easier than finding a level spot with no roots, rocks, or other mess.

Imagine, going camping with no mud getting in the tent. NO bugs. No creepy crawlies. No sand! Not waking up aching and sore! I've got a bad back and various aches and pains and waking up not hurting is a novel thing. I ache even when I wake up from my normal bed.... but not in the hammocks!

40 degrees with a stiff wind AND RAIN, and I slept like a baby in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Just sat up the hammock with the super shelter and one of those mylar space blankets between the underpad and the bottom of the hammock, and then used the 20 degree sleeping bag as a quilt over me.

I'm more than happy to show off to anyone.. while camping or just here in the metroplex. I've just fallen in love with my hammock grin

Re: Hammock Tents. [Re: Kattelyn] #4470250 02/10/10 01:08 AM
C
cypher_orange Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I have a homemade hammock tent which I love but it does get pretty cool in the cold. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking. That thing sounds great. How would it stow in a kayak? Thanks.

Re: Hammock Tents. [Re: cypher_orange] #4471756 02/10/10 12:44 PM
G
grandpa75672 Offline
G
When I was young Dad had a couple of WWII surplus jungle hammocks.
They were made from heavy rubberized canvas with top and bottom and mosquito netting in between. I tried sleeping in one several times in the hot muggy Indiana summer but all I succeeding was sweating the night away.

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.... W.C.Fields

I know a little about a lot of things but not a whole lot about anything....CGD
Re: Hammock Tents. [Re: cypher_orange] #4471909 02/10/10 01:49 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted By: cypher_orange
I have a homemade hammock tent which I love but it does get pretty cool in the cold. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking. That thing sounds great. How would it stow in a kayak? Thanks.

Paid right around 200$ each. I know they're really expensive.

They fit in a kayak easily, as the whole kit compresses down about the size of a large loaf of bread and weighs around 3 lbs. There are smaller models out there than the ones we got, so you can go cheaper and more lightweight.

Since you have a homemade, I would suggest talking to people who are a lot more knowledgeable than I am. I just like to bounce about mine. grin

Here's a link for Hammock Forums . There's a lot of guys on there who do build your owns and much more info than I could possibly give you.

Re: Hammock Tents. [Re: grandpa75672] #4471921 02/10/10 01:53 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted By: grandpa75672
They were made from heavy rubberized canvas with top and bottom and mosquito netting in between. I tried sleeping in one several times in the hot muggy Indiana summer but all I succeeding was sweating the night away.

What I have is based on the same idea as those old jungle hammocks, but with newer material, better able to breathe, etc.

Also helps to have one of those little bitty hand held fans and hang it from the internal ridgeline that holds the bug netting off your face.

And I have to share the newest calendar worthy pic.

Taken in Indianola on Saturday

Re: Hammock Tents. [Re: Kattelyn] #4495358 02/15/10 07:09 PM
D
divot Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
How in the world can one sleep like that? It looks like it is so uncomfortable, I prefer a flatter sleeping area.

Re: Hammock Tents. [Re: divot] #4495942 02/15/10 09:20 PM
G
grandpa75672 Offline
G
Originally Posted By: _nvatexan_
How in the world can one sleep like that? It looks like it is so uncomfortable, I prefer a flatter sleeping area.

If you can sleep soundly lying on your back you have no problem.
If you are a roller then you might find yourself on the ground with the skeeter netting under you.

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.... W.C.Fields

I know a little about a lot of things but not a whole lot about anything....CGD
Re: Hammock Tents. [Re: grandpa75672] #4497289 02/16/10 02:18 AM
Streater Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Ok. That's cool. I've got to get one.

Re: Hammock Tents. [Re: grandpa75672] #4499146 02/16/10 04:54 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted By: _nvatexan_

If you can sleep soundly lying on your back you have no problem.
If you are a roller then you might find yourself on the ground with the skeeter netting under you.

Actually, no.

I am a roller, and I tend to sleep on my side / belly. I've got fibromyalgia - basically spots on my back that scream in pain fairly constantly, and a pinched nerve in my lower back that can make everything hurt. If you're a roller, or prone to tossing and turning, you just do what you would normally do, but you find a sweet spot and don't toss as much.

Really, every morning I wake up from my nice expensive bed here at home and creak and groan. I can walk 8 miles with a pack on and barely be able to move, and sleep in that hammock overnight, and be up and at 'em the next morning.

I don't know when our next hang is going to be or I'd invite folks out to just sit in it. Its really more comfortable than you think.

Re: Hammock Tents. [Re: Kattelyn] #4557838 03/03/10 06:29 AM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
..... Hammock camping is....

Finding the perfect campsite... Even on a 45 degree slope.

Re: Hammock Tents. [Re: Kattelyn] #4738253 04/15/10 01:52 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
.... Hammock camping is...

As much ventilation as you want.

And, watching where you're going at night!

Re: Hammock Tents. [Re: Kattelyn] #4923160 05/31/10 03:29 AM
C
cypher_orange Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Kattelyn

What I have is based on the same idea as those old jungle hammocks, but with newer material, better able to breathe, etc.

Also helps to have one of those little bitty hand held fans and hang it from the internal ridgeline that holds the bug netting off your face.

And I have to share the newest calendar worthy pic.

Taken in Indianola on Saturday

That pic looks like a Corona Ad!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide