Print Thread
Trolling Motor Amp Question #4291998 12/27/09 03:24 AM
D
drjntexas Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
I am a new boat owner and I have an 84 Cajun with an older trolling motor (Motor Guide Brute model 3400) that needs to be replaced. Boat is set up to run two 12 volt batteries to the TM and it has a switch on the bow that reads 12 on one side and 24 on the other. The current TM has a plug that reads "30 amp 125 volts" and plugs into a receptacle in the bow of the boat. I'm looking at buying a new TM (either a 55 lb thrust 12 volt Minn Kota or a 70 lb thrust 24 volt Minn Kota). Both of these have a max amp draw of 50 and 42 respectively according to the Minn Kota booklet. I had planned on connecting the new TM to the current plug, but I'm not sure that I can based on this inforation. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Re: Trolling Motor Amp Question [Re: drjntexas] #4292769 12/27/09 02:44 PM
_
_Mike_ Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
_
You're on the right track. The wiring and receptacle will have to be upgraded to handle the extra electrical load. Parts should all be available where you buy the TM. Don't forget to get the proper circuit breaker for your set up.

Mike
Re: Trolling Motor Amp Question [Re: _Mike_] #4293206 12/27/09 06:17 PM
J
j.steve Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Personally I do not like the jumper wire to be in the bow inside that plug. have had 2 melt on me on older boats. I would run new 6 gage MARINE GRADE wires from stern to bow. I'd put an inline 50 amp circuit breaker as close to the batteries as possible. I also prefer the manual reset breakers. On a 12/24 system you have to place the jumper wire from the + of 1 battery to the - of the other battery. I prefer this jumper to be on the batteries instead of a weak arsed plug set-up as they used to be done on older boats.

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: Trolling Motor Amp Question [Re: j.steve] #4293238 12/27/09 06:39 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
If you've got a bow switch for 12 or 24 you should have 4 wires going from the battery compartment to the front. If you want to make sure you have an ample wire size, pair up the wires to make you two, two wire sets or double up the wires. That should be plenty for anything you plan to put on.
Remember that 24 volt trolling motors will carry twice the power per amp that a 12 volt system. A 70 lb 12 volt trolling motor will have a load approx twice the amps of a 24 volt system.

Another thing is the pulse width trolling motor versus the standard. Most of the newer motors that have the variable speeds are pulse width. The motors with the numbered speeds are the old school. The pulse width motors will use or need lower amps per lb of thrust.

In other words, get the 24 volt trolling motor if its a choice. Less amps per lb thrust that way.
Then look at the motor and if its got pulse width (dura amp for Motorguide and Maximizer for Minn Kota).

Good luck, if you have the 4 wires from the battery compartment, pairing them up to make two (one pos and one neg) should be all you're going to need along with doing a little wiring to the plug. Thats simple too. Just one positive wire to the post that will go to the positive wire on the trolling motor and one neg to the negative on the motor.
If thats what you're doing, wiring for 12 or 24 is easy too.
For 12volt if you're going to still use two batteries, take one positive wire and connect it to the positive post on one battery and then to the positive on the trolling motor(through the plug)
Then do the same with the negative....neg to neg.
Then to connect the batteries together just take two jumpers and jump the batteries, pos to pos and neg to negative.

If 24 volts, positive from trolling motor should go to positve on battery one. The negative trolling motor wire should go to the negative on battery two. Then use one jumper to jump from the two non used poles. (neg on batt one to pos on batt two).

Clear as mud, sorry if it sounds confusing, its actually pretty simple the first time you see it.

Re: Trolling Motor Amp Question [Re: Allison1] #4295819 12/28/09 11:01 AM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted By: Allison1
If you've got a bow switch for 12 or 24 you should have 4 wires going from the battery compartment to the front. If you want to make sure you have an ample wire size, pair up the wires to make you two, two wire sets or double up the wires. That should be plenty for anything you plan to put on.
Remember that 24 volt trolling motors will carry twice the power per amp that a 12 volt system. A 70 lb 12 volt trolling motor will have a load approx twice the amps of a 24 volt system.

Another thing is the pulse width trolling motor versus the standard. Most of the newer motors that have the variable speeds are pulse width. The motors with the numbered speeds are the old school. The pulse width motors will use or need lower amps per lb of thrust.

In other words, get the 24 volt trolling motor if its a choice. Less amps per lb thrust that way.
Then look at the motor and if its got pulse width (dura amp for Motorguide and Maximizer for Minn Kota).

Good luck, if you have the 4 wires from the battery compartment, pairing them up to make two (one pos and one neg) should be all you're going to need along with doing a little wiring to the plug. Thats simple too. Just one positive wire to the post that will go to the positive wire on the trolling motor and one neg to the negative on the motor.
If thats what you're doing, wiring for 12 or 24 is easy too.
For 12volt if you're going to still use two batteries, take one positive wire and connect it to the positive post on one battery and then to the positive on the trolling motor(through the plug)
Then do the same with the negative....neg to neg.
Then to connect the batteries together just take two jumpers and jump the batteries, pos to pos and neg to negative.

If 24 volts, positive from trolling motor should go to positve on battery one. The negative trolling motor wire should go to the negative on battery two. Then use one jumper to jump from the two non used poles. (neg on batt one to pos on batt two).

Clear as mud, sorry if it sounds confusing, its actually pretty simple the first time you see it.

+1 spot on with that info.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Trolling Motor Amp Question [Re: hopalong] #4295822 12/28/09 11:03 AM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
just use the 2 wires and create a 24v hook up, did the same thing on mine and it has worked great for over a yr. now.
get the 24v motor as your batteries will last longer due to lower amp draw, more power means less use in most instances.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Trolling Motor Amp Question [Re: hopalong] #4306199 12/31/09 03:43 AM
D
drjntexas Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Thanks for everyone's help. I've decided to try my hand at making it a 24v setup. Spent yesterday buying a circuit breaker and all the other parts to make the system work. Even though it costs a little more, everyone has sold me on buying a 24v TM. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Re: Trolling Motor Amp Question [Re: drjntexas] #4306500 12/31/09 04:58 AM
kingdad101 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide