Forums59
Topics1,039,149
Posts13,960,017
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: whiterockjesse] #6200255 05/18/11 10:40 PM
N
NewGulf Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
N
sounds good to me!!!

'I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress.' - Ronald Reagan
Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: MikeB@TX.] #6210354 05/21/11 04:06 AM
D
deucer02 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: MikeB@TX.
Cook down 6 slices of bacon along with 3 cloves of garlic and 1/2 medium onion. Add one pound of beans and water, one heaping table spoon of Gebhardt's which I think is the best chili powder or a little more and salt. Add 1 pickled jalapeno cut up and a little of the juice from the jalapenos. Cook low until done. Stir very little.
I do mine the same way plus I add a little cumin and some cilantro. I cook them in a crock pot all nite long or at least 12 hours. Best I've ever tasted anywhere.

Biden famously said in the New York Observer, โ€œI mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, thatโ€™s a storybook, man.โ€
Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: NewGulf] #6212192 05/21/11 11:29 PM
J
JackCaster Offline
Angler
Angler
J
My recipe starts with fresh beans cleaned of rocks and mud, never soaked. Pre-cook two smoked hocks in filtered water for a couple of hours prior to intro of beans, chopped garlic, onions and green peppers, can of reg rotel, chili powder, dallop of beef paste (bullion), oregano, cumin, basil. Cook all this for several hours until beans are 30 min from done. Add hatch chilis cut up fine and chopped cilantro. Have fresh diced tomatoes, onions, Hatch chili plus extra chopped cilantro ready to add to cooked beans (for those who want extra). Cast iron skillet fried potatoes and jalapeno corn bread top off the carb fest!
Yes, I am fat.

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: whiterockjesse] #6220328 05/24/11 02:02 AM
C
chuckwagon Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted By: whiterockjesse
an easy way to have different beans after you have boiled them . add a just enough oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan . dice about a quarter of an onion and put in hot oil . after the onions have turned clear add about 24 ounces of beans with the water you boiled them in . bring to a boil add about 1 or two teaspoons of salt and cook about 5 -10 minutes ( till the beans get alittle softer ) at a medium boil then take a masher and mash . i just mash them till the water turns kind off like gravy . people might already be doing this but i thought of this post as i was making some of these beans last night .

Sounds just like.......... FREEEEEEEEKIN' REFRIED BEANS!!! bouncy Delicious!!

****Sun sinking low....lines baited.....gentle south breeze blowing...you realize.........I AM! .
Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: chuckwagon] #6227836 05/25/11 06:49 PM
K
Keith Stone! Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
I start with good soil.

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: Keith Stone!] #6233953 05/27/11 01:38 AM
B
blooper961 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Beans and cornbread.It doesnt get any better than that.

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: blooper961] #6234219 05/27/11 02:53 AM
T
texancoyote Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I take a few strips of bacon fry them in the bottom of a small pot. I remove the bacon but leave the grease and add a couple cans of beans and cut up the bacon and add that. I let that simmer until the corn bread is done cooking.

My priorities in life are 1 Family 2 Fishing
Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: DYOLLP] #6239846 05/29/11 01:23 AM
C
CC_Hunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: DYOLLP
Take some country style pork ribs and brown. After they are nicely browned, take them out and add a bunch of onion, garlic, and a pablano pepper. Let that brown, then throw back in the pork ribs and add the beans. Add some thyme, a couple bay leaves and salt and pepper to taste. I also chop up some tomatoes and just barely cover with chicken stock. Cook till tender. I'll also do the same thing but start by frying bacon, then take bacon out and brown pork ribs in bacon fat and continue with the recipe. It's very good. If you want it a little spicier, add a serrano. You can also switch out the bacon for chorrizo, andoullie or any type of sausage.

Followed this pretty much 1:1, I started with the rendered bacon, I added a can of rotel after the onions had carmelized, and can say this was very tasty. cheers

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: fishslime] #6251243 06/01/11 07:10 PM
R
R.J.E. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
These recipe's all sound similar to mine, just wanted to add that I ate some beans from a local bar-b-que joint here in Burnet. There wasn't any seasoning at all in them beans, the cooks must have worked at a hospital before landing that job. If your not cooking with seasoning your just heating stuff up!!! RJ

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: R.J.E.] #6257476 06/03/11 07:11 AM
S
skinnerback Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
When I make a pot of beans it can be a side dish or a meal in it's own, I prefer to have them as a meal themselves + a batch of sweet cornbread. I've tried many different ways to make a pot of beans & am always trying to improve on them, when I make a batch it's normally for a decent crowd of people so I make a pretty big pot, eat on them for a few days,(also like a big bowl for breakfast), & if there's any left I'll freeze them in ziplocks for another day. Anyway, here it goes:

In a large pot I'll add 4 lbs of pinto beans, (I don't rinse or pre-soak), just make sure there are not rocks or debree in the pot. Cover with 3 to 4 inches of water & turn on heat to medium high, cover partially. In a skillet fry to a crisp 1 lb of the bacon of your choice, (I'm a Wright's peppered bacon fan myself), remove bacon & add 1 lb of hamburger meat to bacon grease seasoned with some Tony's until brown then drain. I also will sometimes substitute venison or wild pork if I have some handy. Slice up 1 lb of V&V sausage & add to the pot, (use whatever brand you like, I like V&V or homemade if I have some.) Add the hamburger to the pot & break up the bacon into little pieces & add to the pot. Chop 1 large sweet Texas onion, 2 green bell peppers, 3-4 serrano peppers, 3 lbs of roma tomatoes, 1 bunch of cilantro, 2 tbs of minced garlic, 1 lemon bottle of juice, & a little chicken broth, (will taste test for more broth when they're about done). Add these ingredients to the pot then here comes the seasoning.....add cumen to taste, paprika to taste, a little worchestershire (spellcheck), black pepper & salt, (will also taste test for salt & other spices when about done). Give the pot a stir & bring to a gentle boil for about an hour, then reduce heat to a slow simmer & cover. Don't stir the pot too much especially when the beans get soft. When beans are soft, remove about 1 lb of beans only & smash them up well, return to pot. Then, if you really like tomatoey beans you can chop up a few more maters & put them in. The tomatoes that were put in at first will be cooked down already & add to the "soup". Taste for salt & broth, (if you over do either one you'll know it). Simmer for a little longer but don't let your beans get cooked out & fall apart on you. Beans are always best the next day so if I'm throwing a bbq I prefer to cook the beans the day before, let cool down to room temperature, then refridgerate overnight. Only bad thing is, I can never keep from helping myself to them when they're done so the pot o' beans is usually missing a few pieces of sausage & bacon lol! Anyway, they will be thicker the next day especially with the help of the 1 lb that you smashed & put back in. Until you figure out what works for you, take it easy on the seasonings & serrano peppers at first. You can always add some at the end but can't take it out! I don't have a written recipe, it's all in my head so I may have missed something but don't think so.

Em be my beans.....

[Linked Image]
Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: skinnerback] #6262741 06/05/11 01:25 AM
V
vicbass22 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
V
soak em overnight, add a smoked turkey leg,boil em til done, season to ur taste, cornbread what a meal!

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: Crumple Chrome] #6280250 06/09/11 08:03 PM
I
IWannaCatchFIsh Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Two great ingredients for beans, coffee & ginger.

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: IWannaCatchFIsh] #6281272 06/10/11 12:23 AM
S
skinnerback Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: IWannaCatchFIsh
Two great ingredients for beans, coffee & ginger.

Whut??

[Linked Image]
Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: skinnerback] #6397560 07/14/11 04:09 AM
B
baclash Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
alot of great bean goodness ..... but I only read where one person used the secret ..... chicken stock ... don't use plain water .. much more flavor with flavored water .. just use a low sodium & you can always add salt to taste ....if I missed anymore users of chicken stock ... i throw myself of the mercy of the beans

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: NewGulf] #6472682 08/03/11 05:25 AM
S
steadam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
you could make soup add the bone and the beans to cook together when done remove the bone and process the beans in the food processor ,remove the meat from the bone and chop in little pieces ,add those to the soup and serve with crusty bread.

Last edited by steadam; 08/04/11 06:02 AM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide