Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! #4011802 10/05/09 05:48 AM
E
ErickC Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
E
Ok hello to everyone here. I am new to this board. I looked up fishing forums on yahoo and found this one. Looked good so i decided to join.

So i wanted to see if anyone out there can help me out. I LOVE to fish, but my wife hates it. I live in San Antonio TX. I am only used to fishing at the coast in Corpus Christi. Well the problem here is that my wife gives me hell every time i want to make a trip to the coast to get my fish on. I wanted to see if any of you guys know some good fishing spots in san antonio are. I live By 1604 and hwy90. I know the medina river is close, but I have absolutely no clue were to fish it. Also i have been to calaveras lake and braunig lake many times and have yet to ever catch a fish at either one. I don't own a boat so its all bank fishing for me. I need to find some good spots that are close to me so i can get my fishing fix while still being close to home. If you have any pointers or suggestions please let this frustrated fisherman know. I just want the thrill of fighting some good fish.
Thank you so much.
Erick C

Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: ErickC] #4012746 10/05/09 03:59 PM
R
roger t Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Welcome to the TFF..lots of great people here & most are willing to share their fishing knowledge.
I live in Universal City & have fished the SA area & the coast for years. Now, I fish calaveras most of the time...it's close & has a lot of educated fish in it. Buy & learn to use a castnet, fresh shad & small live tilapia can't be beat. Liver works good for channel cats, but is hard to cast. I would go down toward the dam & fish the points. It's popular, so you might have to fish the points up the lake toward the powerlines. Most people are more then willing to give you pointers, so don't hesitate to ask. Calaveras is great fishing, but only 10% catch all the fish...experience !
Here is one of the reds I caught a few days ago.
Roger

Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: roger t] #4012865 10/05/09 04:27 PM
T
toadkiller Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
where he said get a castnet. thats very true. i noticed all the people that are catchin good fish out of cally and braunig are using them. if your wanting reds i knoticed most of the people are wading out to their wasit ( alot of times chest high) and casting.
if you follow 1604 south and right before you get to I-35 go to the left under a bridge (quintana's the name of the road) go about 1 mile down the road and take a left on trawalter ln. follow it to the very end and there is a trailer park there. they charge $15 a carload to fish all day. it's the medina river . it's got several wide deep spots and lots of narrow shallow spots and some of it looks like a creek. i havn't caught anything big there but i've had my line snapped a couple of time ,lol probably a turtle or somthing.

It's eaiser to ask for forgivness, than to beg for permission!
PB red 7 lbs.
PB blue 21 lbs.
PB yellow 4 lbs.
PB channel 6 lbs
PB common carp 15.7 lbs (Lake Mckeeney record)
Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: toadkiller] #4012905 10/05/09 04:38 PM
T
tufffish Offline
Angler
Angler
T
i have only fished calaveras a few times, but caught a lot of fish both times. you are not very far from choke canyon also.

REDNECK, and proud of it.
Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: tufffish] #4013111 10/05/09 05:33 PM
dafanman Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I have been fishing Calaveras almost weekly since may of this year.

You must get a casting net if you dont have one, catch you some live bait, hook thru the tail on a circle hook and get busy!!

I have found that some days it dosent matter if I wade out to cast or just cast from the bank (12ft surf rods with 6oz weight)

U also need a good rod holder, securely planted in the bank.

Ive seen Red's caught from the points closest to the dam,and have also seen a large number of "bull" reds caught from many of the pay site areas on primrose point, personally I prefer the quite and serenity of primrose point and have caught quite a few good sized redfish from there.

While ive caught a few catfish while nightfishing, I dont catch many of those during the day, then again I am out there for the excitement of the redfish bite.

If you want look up the fish Ive caught, posted in the bankfishing section and the photo section, to get an idea of what ive been able to catch from the bank out there.

Good luck.

Laterz,
dafanman cool

ComputerWerkz, Windows PC diagnostics and repair
Remote access available.

Robert Abel
210 426-4474

Special Flat rate for TFF&THF Members
Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: dafanman] #4014391 10/05/09 11:14 PM
E
ErickC Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
E
Thanks everyone. I will definitely have to try some of these spots. My cousin said he would bring a couple of his kayaks with back to S.A. next time he comes from the coast. He lives here in san antonio, but always goes to the coast where he keeps his boat and his yaks. I will try the banks at cali and see if i can hit up that area by quintana road. Thanks again. And if you think of any other spots please let me know.
lets go fishin!

Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: ErickC] #4014397 10/05/09 11:17 PM
E
ErickC Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
E
I do have a cast net so it shouldn't be a problem catching bait. I use it when i go to the coast and try to get some mullet. The problem here is im not sure what species in freshwater look like here. Do any of you have pics as to what bait i should use? I have seen some small fish that i thought were little bass so i would throw them back. I dont want to be fishing with illegal bait. I used the little flat shiny i guess they are shad.

Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: ErickC] #4014433 10/05/09 11:28 PM
J
jsb91010 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
hey ErickC, you look familiar laugh cheers ...oh yeah use anything but a baby bass!!! well besides a baby red or hybrid but those should be obvious lol

Last edited by jsb91010; 10/05/09 11:34 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: jsb91010] #4014446 10/05/09 11:36 PM
E
ErickC Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
E
Haha yuppers! you know i need to get my fish on. Im hitting all the boards trying to find a place close to home to fish. I'm desperate lol.

Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: ErickC] #4014456 10/05/09 11:39 PM
J
jsb91010 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
send me a msg on the other board...gimme your # i fish outta my boat alone all the time during the week. If your schedule allows you can jump onboard. I only fish for reds though.

[Linked Image]
Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: jsb91010] #4016423 10/06/09 04:09 PM
S
ssj3goten Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
For a quick fishing fix I go to castroville which is right down the road from you. Go to the regional park with ultralight gear and there are bass/bluegil/cats. Most are smaller with the random 2-4lber.
I mainly fish Choke,Caynon,Guadalupe, Amistad and all from the banks.
I was at choke yesterday and caught 2 missed 3 fishing the grass lines at the SP. Caynon has several access areas I like Comal park and overlook park.

Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: ssj3goten] #4016577 10/06/09 04:41 PM
M
Mexicajun1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Yup Castoville is not that far of a drive neither is Medina Lake and both have some areas where you could get your fishin fix taken care of. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger though I fished Braunig & Calaveras many times from the bank and the only thing I ever caught was a good Bud Light Buzz lol. Makes a world of difference in those 2 lakes if you have a boat. Atleast for me it did. Boerne Lake is not far up the road from you either. From what I hear it offers some pretty good bank fishin. Dont forget about Hidden Valley Park on the Medina River off 35 & the road by the Loves Truck stop. Also Medio Creek that crosses under 35 between 410 & 1604 has some BIG cats & Bass in. Don't let that small creek fool you. When I was younger I worked for a guy that it ran through his property not far from there and would fish it from time to time and always had good luck catching some pretty nice 5-10# cats. You also have Millers Pond I believe it is between Military Drive and 410 on Old Pearsall Road. Those are just some that are close to you. I would take a trip to Choke if you really wanted to get your fix though. Great Catfish & Bass Lake and plenty of people catch big fish off the bank. Just watchout for the gators.

Rob

One of these days I'm going to Land the BIG ONE!!
Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: Mexicajun1] #4016675 10/06/09 05:06 PM
S
SKEETER151 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Since you don't have a boat... YET...

Try to find ponds and rivers to fish at. San Antonio has some cool parks around here that they stock with fish.

Theres a pond in the back areas of Lakeview College in Universal City. I have been there fishing before and its a tough pond to fish from the bank but I caught some nice bass in there a few months back. I bass fish and I can't tell you about those whisker fish but theres some ponds up by Canyon Lake thats a pay to fish place.

Save up and get a kayak and hit the rivers here I still want to do that myself!

Heres where I found the ponds I have tried....

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/programs/gofishing/santoniofish/satx_map.phtml

Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit!! It is when pirates count their booty that they become mere thieves. ARRRRRR....
Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: SKEETER151] #4017115 10/06/09 06:58 PM
E
ErickC Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
E
wow great list guys. Thanks. Millers pond is actually real close to me. I will try that out. I never even knew were it was. Also i will take a look at the spots by 35. I went to Medina long ago but also never caught anything there. To me it looked more like a recreational lake like for jetski and waterski. Man im so surprised that there are so many places close to me. Thats awesome. I need to look up choke canyon. i have heard of that place before, but not sure how to get there. Ill have to look it up.

Re: Help me fish in san antonio PLEASE! [Re: ErickC] #4017350 10/06/09 07:45 PM
A
Al Ramirez Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
ErickC I also live off 90/1604 (we may be neighbors for all we know) and during the week to get my fix after work I head to Castroville to the Regional Park and fish the medina river. There's some cat's, bass and perch. You won't get huge fish but it's definately nice to get away for a few hours (6-12pack). Miller's Pond is also close which I've haven't gotten a chance to go to yet. Cali and Braunig are nice lakes and I'm still in the process of learning them but I'm sure it'll pay off. But for close places I go to the park in castroville. It's a nice park and free.

I may not always be right but I'm never wrong.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide