Forum Stats
103487 Members
61 Forums
868622 Topics
11398300 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#3991899 - 09/29/09 09:07 PM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: Txredraider]
Pondbass Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
I know this will come up sooner or later
What is a good multispecies fly?

I mostly catch anything on a woolly bugger and another one of my favorites I have not metioned yet, the deer hair breadfly

Head idiot at CarpPro Texas Guide Service

#3991935 - 09/29/09 09:15 PM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: Pondbass]
Txredraider Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Athens, TX
Pondbass, at JackMack's request, I added a section almost at the end suggesting buggers, clousers, and poppers as a good selection to start with for the beginner. I understand your positive attitude towards the bread fly, especially with that nice catfish you posted earlier, but I was trying to stick to flies that were easily found by those who didn't tie themselves. Thanks for reading all that and your input.

"The best trips are not planned."
Written here, and used by permission of, SBridgess.

#3993520 - 09/30/09 10:41 AM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: kelkay]
Bug_Slinger Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Arklatexoma
Originally Posted By: kelkay
Txredraider, great write up! Windknot, if you want to cast bigger bass bugs you will need an 8wt. For regular bass fishing a 6-8 weight depending on the type of flies you cast will be sufficient. If you want a good all around rod, and can only afford ONE ...a 5 or 6 weight rod is just fine. I used a 5wt most of the time, and it was a great rod. Some people prefer a 6wt for all around fishing. If you mostly fish for bass...or only bass...a 7-8 wt is what I would recommend. I get tired casting an 8wt too long, but I am a woman. That is one reason I prefer the 5wt...it does not bother me to cast it at all.

Kelly, I was joking, but I though it would be a good section for the newbies to the sport.

#3993872 - 09/30/09 12:06 PM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: Bug_Slinger]
kelkay Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: East TX
Oh okay...I thought it was clear...I didn't take it that you were joking...lol. I thought well maybe I could word it a little differently. :-)

You Don’t Love Something You Want to ‘Fundamentally Transform’ Mark Levin

#3995732 - 09/30/09 06:45 PM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: kelkay]
StevenNDallas Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: SW Richardson
Has any one ever wondered about roll casts, especially moving thru the roll cast into the back cast into the forward cast ?

That technique, wow, it is the cats pajamas of fly fishing.

A reason to exist.

It's why I am glad to be an American male.

#3996965 - 10/01/09 12:22 AM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: StevenNDallas]
Fly Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Allen,Tx
TXRed,
Big Flies to you sir! Great start, keep it going. If'n ya want some left handed help on a subject, gimme a holler and I'll take a shot at it.
I'm still doing Fly Fishing 101 at Bass Pro Garland on Saturdays and Sundays at 1:00 p.m. with a tying demo at 4:00 p.m.
Ya'll are all very welcome to stop by and we'll put a name and face together.

#4006401 - 10/03/09 03:13 PM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: Fly]
marked131 Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Allen, Texas
fly,
do you ever fish bethany lakes and what do you use? also where is a good place to get fly tying materials?

#4008419 - 10/04/09 09:06 AM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: marked131]
Txredraider Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Athens, TX
marked, you might want to send Fly a private message and ask him that in case he doesn't check this tread. You could also post it as a new topic in the forum. Fly works at the Bass Pro on Ray Hubbard, so I'm sure he'd suggest there as a good place to get materials and he wouldn't be wrong either.

"The best trips are not planned."
Written here, and used by permission of, SBridgess.

#4025299 - 10/08/09 10:24 AM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: Txredraider]
phlishop Offline
Green Horn

Loc: Houston Tx
I agree that Bass Pro is a great place to find fly tying materials,
of course you may call me a teeny bit biased as I run the fly shop at bass pro in Pearland. LOL

#4028790 - 10/09/09 07:39 AM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: StevenNDallas]
kelkay Online   content
TFF Guru

The roll cast is a cast I learned in Arkansas...but it gave me shoulder pain. That was one that Jeff taught me. Now I mainly do a false cast, but need to learn other types.

#4038233 - 10/12/09 12:04 AM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: Txredraider]
336 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Fayette Co
TXRR, great write up. I am new to fly fishing and have yet to catch my first fish on my set up. Here is one thing I think might be nice to see if you put this thread or your first post as a sticky...

What do you do when you catch a fish.

This may seem simple but I was really confused until I watched a few videos on youtube. I have fished all my life and when I catch a fish I yank the rod tip up and crank on the handle as fast as I can. Even though I have a good idea of what to do from reading a little and watching youtube, I still have some blanks to fill in that may not get filled in until I get one on the line.

Example: If I catch a big enough one that I would like to use the reel to bring in, do I let him run until all my slack is out and then reel him in or do I hold the line and reel up my slack? Of course, this could just be preference.

Just a bit of my two cents from a newb's perspective.

Again, thanks for the write up.

#4038596 - 10/12/09 08:38 AM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: kelkay]
kenmorrow Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: el paso, tx
Originally Posted By: kelkay
The roll cast is a cast I learned in Arkansas...but it gave me shoulder pain. That was one that Jeff taught me. Now I mainly do a false cast, but need to learn other types.

The roll cast gave you shoulder pain? eek That shouldn't happen unless you have a very unusual shoulder injury! A proper roll cast is an extremely low-impact fly cast.

The next time we're in the same place, come talk to me.

#4038695 - 10/12/09 09:16 AM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: kenmorrow]
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Plano, TX USA
If you can't visit Ken - visit Lefty... grin
Lefty Kreh's DVD "Lessons with Lefty"
Excelent roll cast instruction as well as a bunch of other good stuff ... cheers

www.reelrecovery.org

#4038827 - 10/12/09 10:02 AM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: kenmorrow]
kelkay Online   content
TFF Guru

ok....I talked to LHD about it too and he showed me another way of doing it, I just never use that cast...that was a long time ago though...this is when I was just starting out with my casting...I do need to learn some new casts, false casting can be a pain if you do it all the time like I do

#4038834 - 10/12/09 10:03 AM Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ [Re: George Glazener]
kelkay Online   content
TFF Guru

I like Lefty's lessons I saw on You Tube. I do need to do a bit more practice on some different type casts.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide