Print Thread
bank fishing Lubbock Texas #3914949 09/10/09 02:48 AM
F
fish_n_dude Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
I'm new to the lubbock area. I'm going to Tech and I been looking around places to fish. I am a bass fisherman and i've been looking online for places to fish, but all i have found is catfish ponds...does anybody know of places that are of decent bass fishing background?

Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: fish_n_dude] #3916432 09/10/09 03:14 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
all your park ponds r likely to have some LMBass. ive put a few in myself.

Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: fish_n_dude] #3916805 09/10/09 04:55 PM
S
sdf3825 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
The lake in Mackenzie Park used to be a good place to catch bass, and maybe still is, though I haven't had much luck there in the past year or so. Three years ago I caught my biggest there (5 lbs). Andrews Park (79th and Memphis) is another good bass spot. I have also heard that the lake behind the former Godeke Library (Quaker Ave. and the South Loop) is a good place to catch bass, though no luck the one time I tried.

Lubbock isn't a good place to be a bass fisherman; unfortunately TPWD doesn't seem to want to stock anything here except channel catfish. Maybe we need to all get together and write some letters and change that. A lot of us can't go to Lake Alan Henry every weekend or even regularly for various reasons, and there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to have some decent bass fishing right here.

Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: sdf3825] #3916830 09/10/09 05:04 PM
dafanman Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have a question?

From my oilfield days many, many years ago, the drinking water was so bad in the lubbock, midland, odessa area are the fish caught there safe to eat?

Laterz,
dafanman cool

ComputerWerkz, Windows PC diagnostics and repair
Remote access available.

Robert Abel
210 426-4474

Special Flat rate for TFF&THF Members
Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: dafanman] #3916884 09/10/09 05:21 PM
S
sdf3825 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: dafanman
I have a question?

From my oilfield days many, many years ago, the drinking water was so bad in the lubbock, midland, odessa area are the fish caught there safe to eat?

Laterz,
dafanman cool

Supposedly, "yes", it is safe to eat the fish. Me personally, I wouldn't! Here's just one example:

Last Saturday I was fishing in Mackenzie Park and got bored with that so went hiking along the Purina Trail about a third of a mile upstream. Around there I found a broken sewer vent that was releasing into the stream an alarming amount of waste water, I assume raw sewage because it was greyish/blackish in color and smelled like rotten eggs. I contacted the city about it, but would be surprised if they have even fixed the problem yet. From the feedback I got it seems like they consider it to be a "low priority" problem. I'm going back in the next couple of days and see if that's still going on, if it is surely there must be some state agency that would be interested. In the meantime, I would warn anyone not to eat fish caught in Mackenzie Park! Fish from other lakes around town may be safe, to varying degrees ...

Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: sdf3825] #3919365 09/11/09 04:34 AM
T
TheBassKicker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I wouldn't eat fish caught out of ANY of Lubbock's ponds. You have to remember that almost all of them were built to help with the drainage so that Lubbock would not flood when it rained. So any water going into them is coming off of Lubbock's dirty streets. All of the crud and junk lying in the gutters, all of the oil staining the parking lots, and all of the chemicals people put on their lawns is flowing right down the gutters into these ponds. My Dad told me back when he was a kid in the 60's and 70's Buffalo Springs actually had a sewer plant dump untreated waste water into the lake. He said to this day he wouldn't touch a fish out of it.

Last edited by TheBassKicker; 09/11/09 04:35 AM.
Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: TheBassKicker] #3943395 09/17/09 03:10 AM
F
fish_n_dude Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
ok..so i went to maxey park and tried fishing there for a couple of hours, walked around the whole thing and didn't catch a thing...all i saw was carp in the water eating, the ponds around here are too freaking shallow to do any decent bass fishing...maxey park was probably less than a foot deep about 20 feet out...rediculous!

Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: fish_n_dude] #3944401 09/17/09 02:56 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
fish_n_dude ,

no matter, go where ever you want. there is likely bass in all of them. youll only know for sure if you look and thats the fun of the deal anyways.

Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: fish_n_dude] #3950208 09/18/09 09:17 PM
S
sdf3825 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
At Maxey Park I've only had good luck catching carp, bluegill, and catfish. And that was 3-4 years ago, the last few trips I've caught nothing there. There are some big bass in some of the playa lakes (maybe even most of them), but man is it tough to catch them. A couple of months ago at Leftwich Park (60th and Elgin) I hooked into a couple of big bass that nearly took the rod out of my hands, and a guy fishing there once showed me a pic on his cell phone of a 9-lb bass his son caught there. It might be worth getting a kayak or canoe to get out to the deeper water there, since Leftwich is one of the few playa lakes where you can legally do that.

Another place you might want to check out is the playa lake across from the Ranching Heritage Center. I used to catch a lot of bass there, but not much of anything in the past couple of years. It's pretty deep for a playa lake, so there might still be some big bass there. It used to be a bit of a "secret" spot, but hasn't been for quite awhile, which may explain why the fishing there has gotten so bad in the last few years.

Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: sdf3825] #3955884 09/20/09 10:02 PM
N
Nick220722 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Went to the big Canyon Lake today for a few hours on the East side of MLK (not sure of the #). Got there about 9 and had one carp run on a strawberry boilie but the hook didn't set so I don't know the size. Fished for another 3 hours around various spots in the lake and had some constant "tap tap tap" but never the carp run I wanted. Probably was some dink catfish or something. At one point I had a constant tap for 30 minutes but could never feel the weight of a fish.

PB Buff - 56lbs
PB Common - 26lbs
PB Mirror - 7lbs
PB Grasser - 45lbs
PB Koi - 10lbs

Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: Nick220722] #3957613 09/21/09 04:26 AM
T
TheBassKicker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I fished Buffalo Springs Saturday afternoon. Caught about 6 little channel cats about 6 in. long on some chicken liver. I think it was around 2 or 3pm my pole just about bent completely over, I grabbed it set the hook and set in for a fight. It wouldn't budge an inch. At first I thought the fish had dragged me into some type of snag and gotten off. I mean I couldn't get the thing to budge at all. All of a sudden it took off, my drag was singing. I fought for about 5 to ten minutes until some guys driving by saw me fighting with it and came running up. One of them grabbed my net and about jumped in the water. They were just about as excited as I was. The line started spinning like crazy like it was big Cat trying to roll free. Well a couple of minutes later I finally got it close enough to the bank that the guy was able to get the net under it in the water. What he pulled out sure surprised the hell out of me! It was a monster turtle and I had hooked it in his right foot. This was easily one of the BIGGEST turtles that I have ever seen in my life! Well I figure the line being attached to his foot was the reason the line was spinning the way it was. The hook came free in the net. I was pretty disappointed but at the same time still amped from the fight. Both guys jumped back in their truck and drove off shaking their heads in disbelief. Before they left one of them said, "Man that just made my entire day!" Well about 30 minutes later I hooked another good one that once again turned out to be a turtle! Much smaller than the first but still, it definitely persuaded me to call it a day.

I had out bass minnows, chicken liver, corn, and some shad I caught in my net and the only thing I got any hits on was the chicken liver.

Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: fish_n_dude] #11217784 11/11/15 04:34 AM
-
-Clay- Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
-
Here's a YouTube Channel dedicated to bank fishing Lubbock https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkjJW8YYGugUQZ4NJUpe6CQ/feed

Re: bank fishing Lubbock Texas [Re: fish_n_dude] #11457705 03/05/16 07:15 PM
B
BigWolf Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I went camping at Buffalo on the 29th and 1st I think we caught 2-3 12 inch channel cats...1 Carp and one big bite that got away. I saw people fishing for bass with no luck. Did see a few crappie caught at the docks...

Think I'm done fishing these local ponds n lakes will just have to try Alan Henry or the lakes in Dallas.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide