Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: becoming a guide? [Re: JD Lyle] #3596707 06/18/09 08:31 PM
T
Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I don’t want (right now) in my life to make a descent living. I've done that and I’m thru with that.

Right now for me I just want one trip a day – it’s the same cost for a 4 to really an 8 hour trip – what ever works best for the conditions and the customers.

I DO NOT want two trips a day – that is too much work – and yea that takes all the fun out of it.

I like to be flexible and spend the right about of time on the lake – for the conditions and the customers I have.

But if you do need to make money at it (GUIDING) – yep you bet – book all you possible can (two or three a day). In Prime Time – March thru August – you better get with the program and book all you can. Because the remainder of the year – it’s pretty much just you fishing.

Re: becoming a guide? [Re: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker] #3596748 06/18/09 08:39 PM
T
TEAMBIGSTICK Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I HAVE A REALLY GOOD FRIEND THAT GUIDES ON O.H. IVEY. HE HAS BEEN FISHING THAT LAKE SCINCE 1991. ECONOMY IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY IS REALLY TIGHT RIGHT KNOW AND I KNOW HOW THAT HURTS HIM ALSO. HE JUST TOLD ME HE HAS DISCOUNTED ALL TRIPS FOR THE REST OF THE SUMMER SO IF ANY OF YOU HEAD DOWN THAT WAY GIVE HIM A CALL. HE WILL FILL THE BOAT WITH CRAPPIE AND WHITES. AND IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR C-CATS THERE IS NO ONE BETTER. HE IS ON THE TFF AS BITTERCREEK -NO LIMITS GUIDE SERVICE-

Re: becoming a guide? [Re: TEAMBIGSTICK] #3597528 06/18/09 11:25 PM
Guide Chuck Rollins Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I do it because I would rather be fishing than sitting in an office or behind the wheel in traffic. A man has to do something unless he's smart enough to not have to. I guess I am not that smart. I make a living doing something that most people envy and that I enjoy. Will I do it forever? Probably not but I have 3 kids and guiding is most of my income right now. Therefor I bust my butt and run lots of trips.

www.BigCrappie.com
www.DallasFishingCharters.com
Fishing Guide & Instruction Service
Cedar Creek Lake
903-288-5798
24ft Skeeter Bay
24ft Skeeter Bay
24ft Skeeter Bay
24ft Sea Pro
18ft Lund Deep V
18ft Grizzly creek boat
Re: becoming a guide? [Re: Guide Chuck Rollins] #3597637 06/18/09 11:57 PM
T
Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
So here you go – just got canceled – the day before – No chance to rebook that. flame

It’s a day with no money – that happens (it cost you $400 to $500 plus) - but even in the good season – count on that happening- it is a bummer.

Re: becoming a guide? [Re: Guide Chuck Rollins] #3597654 06/19/09 12:03 AM
W
wyliecoyote Offline
Angler
Angler
W
ok i have a question
how do you Guide and keep your day job?
I am not interested in being a gudie just interested in how you get to go fishing when you should be working?

Re: becoming a guide? [Re: wyliecoyote] #3597957 06/19/09 01:20 AM
Lakeguide Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: wyliecoyote
ok i have a question
how do you Guide and keep your day job?
I am not interested in being a gudie just interested in how you get to go fishing when you should be working?

Guide on your off days only. Build your customer base first. Just remember, every trip you get, there might be a full time guide that missed out on some business. Not that there is anything wrong with guiding part time, just let your customers know what you are doing. Building clientel is a necessity. There are some that advertise as full time and skip out on their day job just to fish. That hurts everyone, employers, guides, and customers.... Full time/part time - just do it the right way.

www.tawakonifishingguide.com (214)415-0166
YOUTH STATE RECORD STRIPER 16.51# caught with us!

Re: becoming a guide? [Re: Lakeguide] #3598189 06/19/09 02:20 AM
Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Our have a job with 3 days off like me and I have been there long enough that I have bunches of vacation time saved up laugh

Re: becoming a guide? [Re: redneck88] #3598419 06/19/09 03:15 AM
Slabman โ€˜180โ€™ Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Hey you guys that are looking at getting into the guiding business to make money....I will do you one better get in the lure business full time to make ya a mint. You can make a fortune, laugh... yea right. I tried the full time lure making self employment route and lasted a whole 8 months. I had a wife that made great money and had the benefits for our family. That is the only way I even considered doing the lure gig. I think it would be the same way for me if I was to try guiding. I think you need a solid income coming in if your new at the business, and as little of debt as possible. Now once that all is in place hold your breath, and pray that the economy doesnt land you square on your tail and have all your plans blow straight up in your face with your significant other getting news that they had been laid off a week before Christmas...These things happen...well at least it did to me. So now over the past 2 1/2 months I have once again found myself to be a full time worker/and a part time lure maker that works full time hours, grin Why would anyone do this....cause they love it. When I dont love it anymore I will no longer be doing it, how long I will last who knows. But I have learned from an ugly economy that money that is a bit more solid and comes in every couple weeks along with benefits is a big load off. I commend you guides that do this thing full time, you have iron pot stomachs. If you take the guide plunge and give it a go, do your homework, your getting lots of opinions. The thing that it comes down to when you look yourself in the mirror, does it make you happy, and can you make it work. There are going to be highs and lows like in anything. The good thing about guiding is the fact that you get to go fishing though. I have been on the water about 6 times this year and I am willing to lay odds that it doesnt all amount to 18 hours total. Good luck!

US Army Vet, Maker of โ€œTNT 180 Slabsโ€
Re: becoming a guide? [Re: Slabman โ€˜180โ€™] #3599447 06/19/09 01:58 PM
P
pdeibert001 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
For anyone who wants to be a guide full time I suggest you go up to Texoma where there are an estimated 5 million striper in the lake and then have some days where you 1. Can't find bait 2. Can't find fish 3.Can't find a place out of the wind. After days like thoseyou realize that guiding is a skill that takes time on the water and nerves of steel. Imagine a 4 person trip scheduled in your boat and you show up with no bait. You better have a plan and quickly as the word will get around that you don't know squat and don't know what you are doing.As a guide , you really can't say" what the heck" and sit back and have some cold ones while the kids swim on the beach, not with 4 paying customers sitting there looking at you. Now that is some intense presuure....

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide