Forums59
Topics1,037,854
Posts13,935,662
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results #3502258 05/25/09 04:43 AM
Casey Allison Offline OP
Sissy Boy
OP Offline
Sissy Boy
On May 23rd, I got the pleasure of taking Tommy Climer for "Day On The Water", most of you reading this recognize the name. For those who don't, it's not hard to find someone who does or a Tournament Website with his name some where near the top of the Results page.

Tommy is one of these guys who will talk to anyone about fishing, and tell you what ever you want to know about how he catches fish. He will go as far to tell you exactly what he used and how he used it.
Hang around a ramp on lake Ray Hubbard long enough and you will here someone talking about how Tommy gave them that tip, or showed them what they were doing wrong working a bait.

One thing I picked up on Very quickly Saturday was, that no matter how much info he spreads around the fishing community, he still has that thought process that eludes most of use. Yes, we know what he's throwing and where he's throwing it, but can't pin point that step we are leaving out to catch the quality fish he does.

I also was shown how quickly a angler like Tommy can put together a pattern on a lake he has never seen. I have been asking Tommy for a years now how he does it, how does his thought process happen and what makes him make the decisions he makes.

Well that's what "Day On The Water" if for. To show anglers as my self and others, how Top anglers such as Tommy, makes the moves he does and constantly stays at the top of the Final Weight Sheet at the end of the day.

I took Tommy to Lake Davy Crockett a 355 acre lake just North of the city of Honey Grove Texas. Davy Crockett, has really been on the past 2 weeks prior to Saturday. The grass was thin and the water was rising fish were on the banks hitting everything. Man how 2 weeks can change a lake. I called a buddy Thursday Night, that lives around the lake and he told me "GOOD LUCK" the grass is so thick you can't get 30 yards from the productive banks and you can't fish the grass without pulling in 50lbs of it every cast......I guess he doesn't know Tommy.
Giving Tommy thick matted grass is like giving my 1 year old daughter a bowl of Ice Cream....they are going all in head first and you better get out of there way, because there not leaving till they are done tearing it apart.

We arrive at the ramp right at 6 O'clock, when we showed up there were 2 boats already in the water and 4 more pulled in right behind us. They were locals since you could hear them griping about having there small tournament on it today and why couldn't they move it to Coffee Mill right down the road.

We launch Tommy's bass cat and he heads down the lake, he comments on how he can see the whole lake and laughs.

He gets to his first spot and pulls out a White Buzz Bait and we start getting harassed by locals.....NO,NO, that's not locals see if you can see who that is yelling....

He explores the Lilly Pads, and grass with Buzz Baits, Frogs, and a Pop-R trying to get fish located and trying to get a feel for the lake.

Tommy moves to the Main lake point and has no bites and decides to moves to the back of the West Arm, he idles to the back and starts casting a Pop-R to the edge of the scattered grass. It takes him all of about 2 minutes till he sticks fish # 1....

That fish was 1.10 lbs (we are weighing in OZ)..The bait was a Excalibur Pop-R in the Sexy Shad pattern.

He goes to a White Spro Frog, and works close to matted grass and lilly pads, he has a nice fish boil on the frog and continues to cast to the exact spot the boil happened.

Here is right after the Bass boiled on the Frog..

I noticed he kept casting to the same spot over and over, not around it.....

Tommy talks about not letting Heavy Boat Traffic mess with you.....Video starts of with a Beaver swimming...

There's no clouds and the sun pretty much starting to covering the lake, Tommy has gone to using a Zoom Speed Craw, Greenpumpkin with a 3/16 oz weight on 20lb FL. He has missed 2 fish on isolated reeds and I decide to ask him about what's going on and if he thinks the Spike-It really helps. Watch the WHOLE video as this is one of the BEST "Day On The Water" videos that's been shot...

He has moved to the other arm of the lake and pulls up to a area where the grass is in deeper water, the boat is in about 10 feet of water and Tommy if punching through the grass. It's only 8:18 Am and he has already figured out what the pattern of the day will be.

He was tipped of to it about 8:11 Am when he caught fish #3 a 1.5 lb bass on a Speed Craw with a 5/0 Owner Hook, with a 1/2 True Tungsten weight and 65lb braid, using a Dobyn's 765 flip with Daiwa Exceler 100h reel. That 1.5 lb fish let Tommy know all he needed to know about the rest of the day.

He quickly gets back to work and sticks fish #4 at 8:18 AM...

Tommy has really started whacking them with Green Pumpkin and talks about using dark colored baits when flipping grass...

Tommy gives some GREAT info on Grass and how bass relate to it, and how to fishing it.....

Tommy gets his best bite of the day, the fish nearly took the rod out of his hand and Tommy set the hook like a mad man. He got to fight the fish for about 5-8 seconds, that I could see and I was trying to get my camera on. This fish was going to be a big one, you can see when the fish comes off at about 2 seconds into the video...

Tommy fishes the grass on the Right arm for a little longer and gets his limit and culls once before moving back to the Left Arm of the lake.

He is back to the lighter 3/16 weight and Speed Craw, and tells me why he's fishing the isolated reeds now the cloud cover is back..

Wouldn't you know it, I turn OFF my camera and not 30 seconds later....

It's now about 9:30 Am and Tommy will fish all around the lake for the next 2 hours picking up small fish here and there while the cloud cover stays over head. He keeps telling us that he hopes the sun comes back out so the Thick grass will turn back on.

It's now 11:10am and This video will show you how much Tommy pays attention to surroundings and what Mother nature gives him, when the video starts you will see that to the top right of the screen there is a break in the clouds, that is allowing the sun to shine on the Main Lake point where there's thick grass. That's the only thick grass where the sun is hitting right now. Tommy moves there quickly and starts to punch the grass once again....When the video starts, Tommy had just had a bite and the bass spit it out...Watch the rod real close at the 6 second mark.....

12:50
Tommy....I Mean TINY...tells us why he likes to fish shallow water...

He probes around the shallows and the grass for the next 30 minutes then decides to head to the spill way, to check out some reeds he had noticed early when running from Arm to Arm. He's not there 5 minutes when this happens when he starts punching the grass......

Tommy finishes out the day trying to pick up the BIG HAWG he need to really put his limit over the top, he never got the bite.......well let me re state that, he didn't get the fish in the boat. He had two the would have been big upgrades, one you guys saw him pull up the grass, and another he had stuck and we saw at the top of the water, only to shake of when it bumped into the grass. He will be the first to tell everyone, that fishing grass you better be ready to loose some fish. It's 50/50 on grass fishing, and that proved true today, he landed 14 fish and lost about that many.

Tommy's Sack..
#1.....(2.9 lbs)...Dobyn's 765 flip with daiwa exceler 100h reel with 65 lb power pro a 1/2 oz tungsten weight and 5/0 owner hook.....Watermelon Candy Ugly Otter by Gambler
#2.....(2.7 lbs)...Dobyn's 765 flip with daiwa exceler 100h reel with 65 lb power pro a 1/2 oz tungsten weight and 5/0 owner hook.....GreenPumpkin Uggly Otter by Gambler
#3.....(2.4 lbs)...Dobyn's 765 flip with daiwa exceler 100h reel with 65 lb power pro a 1/2 oz tungsten weight and 5/0 owner hook....GreenPumpkin Speed Craw by Zoom
#4.....(1.10 lbs)... Dobyn's 734c split handle champion with a Johnny Morris reel with 15lb pline.....Excalibur Pop-R, Sexy Shad Pattern
#5.....(1.09 lbs)...Dobyn's dx744 with invizx 20 lb flouro, 3/16 oz weight and 5/0 hook with a daiwa viento reel.....GreenPumpkin SPeed Craw by Zoom

Total Weight.......(10.07 lbs)

Tommy, Thanks for taking the Time to go out on " Day On The Water". Getting to take video's and document anglers such as your self shed some light and tips for other anglers to try out and hopefully help them down the road.

I will say I have NEVER SEEN a more VIOLENT and HARD hook set than what Tommy has, I don't see how Tony ( Tommy's Brother ) even feels save up by him when he sets the hook. I honestly can't believe he didn't break a rod Saturday, I was talking to Stan Smith in the back of the boat, telling him Tommy probably will break a rod if he set's the hook like that one more time. Never happened though, but I truly feel bad for any fish that bites his bait. We watched him set the hook on a 4 or 5 oz fish and that poor thing never knew what happened.

There were a TON of local anglers on the lake Saturday and not ONE BOAT was punching grass like Tommy was, UNTIL they drove by and saw what he was doing. It was funny because boats would come and go all day, but at some point every boat would come by and check him out. We would here anglers talk to each other across the coves saying "What are they doing"..." Have they caught anything big" and my Favorite...." I think there shooting a TV show"....LOL. They would motor up in front of him and fish back to us, they would all go outside of us, but close enough they could ask questions. Tommy was polite and stopped to talk to each one. Everyone of them had the same question " You Guys doing any good" Followed by Tommy telling them not really a few 2 pounders and some to go with it. Very few had any response about them catching fish.

We even had a few boats drive by a few times and look at Tommy like he was nuts punching grass, they would stay back a little ways and watch T-Man stick a few and they couldn't stand it, they would have to come by and ask what he was throwing and what weight.

The guys who have done "Day On The Water" realize pretty fast that there not really going to get to fish like they want to for 8 hours, If I can't hear them because they turned or if they catch a fish I stop them and talk to them. Stan Smith, who I will talk about in a few, shot over 7 hours of video's Saturday and I shot a little over 4 hours. Anglers can't go 10 minutes with out having to talk to the camera, and have no time to really sit back and think that much. I truly think every angler I have done could do better if no camera's where in the boat.

The purpose of "Day On The Water" is for a Teaching tool for TFF'ers, it would be fun to see a guy stick 8 pounders all day long, but how will he teach you anything. If he has a lights out day and not challenged? It's going to happen one of these days though.

I want to thank Stan Smith, who is on the TFF also. He's going to start helping out bringing another camera to get different angles and more footage. the "Day On The Water" will stay the same, he's just going to take all the footage crop it together and make a extended version. It will take about a month, but when it's comes out it will be labeled "Day On The Water" Tommy Climer...Extended Version... This will allow us to give you guys and gals a deeper look into what goes on, and you will get even more audio from that since he leaves his camera on the whole time.

Thanks Stan and look forward to many more.

[Linked Image]

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: Casey Allison] #3502259 05/25/09 04:43 AM
Casey Allison Offline OP
Sissy Boy
OP Offline
Sissy Boy
EXTRA VIDEOS...

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: Casey Allison] #3502260 05/25/09 04:43 AM
Casey Allison Offline OP
Sissy Boy
OP Offline
Sissy Boy

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: Casey Allison] #3502261 05/25/09 04:43 AM
Casey Allison Offline OP
Sissy Boy
OP Offline
Sissy Boy

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: Casey Allison] #3502283 05/25/09 04:58 AM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Nice job by all. I appreciate Tommy representing the hefty guys so well....LOL

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: Mark Perry] #3502817 05/25/09 02:25 PM
T
Tom Groves Offline
Captain
Captain
T
You guys did a great job Saturday. Lot`s of tips, and very useful information in this one. thumb

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: Casey Allison] #3503109 05/25/09 04:44 PM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Nice job... Try the Coffee mills it's the lake next to Crockett. It's only around 600 acres.

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: BThomas] #3504716 05/26/09 02:08 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
good job to all!! looked like lots of fun! even had the "hecklers" out there smile hehe!!

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #3505279 05/26/09 04:20 AM
M
myleshamm Offline
Angler
Angler
M
great write up!

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: myleshamm] #3505411 05/26/09 06:11 AM
Bazztex Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Casey

Great Video Job and Reporting as always.. thanks for the grass fishin info Tiny!
cheers

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: myleshamm] #3505433 05/26/09 06:54 AM
B
BASSCATJB Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Fantastic show.

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: BASSCATJB] #3511762 05/27/09 09:32 PM
S
Slide_R Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I heard KP and OT had nearly 25lbs for the day...just saying.

Really good write-up and videos. All those cameras, fancy fishing pros and sweet boat wrap, I would bet there was a tellybision show being filmed.

Thanks Casey, Stan and Tommy.

Robert Oleson
aka Slide_R

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #3511848 05/27/09 09:50 PM
K
K.P Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
good job to all!! looked like lots of fun! even had the "hecklers" out there smile hehe!!

some people....... that guy in the back of that other boat sure is a sexy beast..... I'm just sayin.

Good write up Casey. I can tell you that Tommy is a machine, I think he covered all 355 acres of shoreline before 2pm and some areas more than a few. It made me tired watching. Great job Climmer!

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: K.P] #3511860 05/27/09 09:52 PM
Casey Allison Offline OP
Sissy Boy
OP Offline
Sissy Boy
Originally Posted By: K.P
Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

some people....... that guy in the back of Tommy's boat sure is a sexy beast..... I'm just sayin.

Good write up Casey. I can tell you that Tommy is a machine, I think he covered all 355 acres of shoreline before 2pm and some areas more than a few. It made me tired watching. Great job Climmer!

Fixed it for you KP... grin

Re: "Day On The Water".....Tommy Climer.....Davy Crockett Results [Re: Casey Allison] #3512366 05/28/09 12:05 AM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Great show

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide