New to Coleto Creek #3013959 01/16/09 04:22 PM
N
Nager2 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Good afternoon,

I have read all that there is to read in these fishing report forums about Coleto Creek but have found only one or two references to loactions to fish, Peridido Creek (pretty big place from what I see on the map) and upstream of the Coleto Bridge (I assume, I know the [censored] of u & me joke, that means the Coletoville Road overpass) again a fairly large area to cover. Would anyone care to share a little more detail? Maybe pin it down to a few miles of shoreline ;-).
I have also not been able to determine a color scheme for this lake, I love to use Watermelon Red Zoom Super Flukes and 5" Watermelon with Red Flake Senko's on Choke but what color is best for Coleto?
As you can see from my lack of graphics I'm not well versed in these forums, probably lacking etiquette also, for example some of you have writtem to PM me but what does PM mean?

Thanks for help and beginner,
Rick

Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: Nager2] #3013971 01/16/09 04:25 PM
J
Jaredk Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
fishy?????

Last edited by jaredk; 01/16/09 09:38 PM.
Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: Jaredk] #3014042 01/16/09 04:47 PM
N
Nager2 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
jaredk

I didn't mean to me personally but in the context of the blog someone asked someone else to PM them and I don't know still what that means. 12 minutes is a lifetime for some.

From your repy I can see why some people refuse to post in your forums.

Thanks anyway and have a great weekend fishing!
Rick

Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: Nager2] #3014442 01/16/09 06:20 PM
B
BigDaddy2508 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Nager2

A PM is a msg that only you nad the person that wrote the PM can see/read. PM=Personal Msg.

As far as coleto goes it seems to be purdy straight fwd in how to fish it for the most part. The first time I fished it it took some of my pride but I just went to main points and started crank'n and had some luck the next time. The colors that you are using now will work well on Coleto too. I am by no means an expert on this lake in any way shape or form. The discharge is always good when hot water is comeing out of it so try that too.

PM me and we can talk more. To do that click on my name and click the box that says send a PM.

2002 Stroker with 2003 Merc 225X SS SM Lower
93.3 GPS

www.strokerboats.com
www.go100mph.com

Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: BigDaddy2508] #3015082 01/16/09 09:35 PM
R
robertd2119 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Nager 2
Coletto is kinda like river fishing. I have had a lot of luck with black and blue tail something. Cranks are good in a red or crawfish color.
Move around alot on this lake. You will pick up ones and twos and before you know it, you'll be culling.
If you want you can also pm me and I will see if I can help you more. Will be there Sunday the 24th for a tournament. If you get down there I am in a red, white, and black Skeeter 20I.
Good luck
Robert
PS.........Welcome to the forum

Without God..we are nothing

Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: robertd2119] #3016174 01/17/09 10:45 AM
L
Lucky Al Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Coleto is one of my favorite lakes, but our club only fishes it once a year. There are many types of cover and structure. Just about any proven bass lure and technique works at some time there, so try what you have confidence in. Try them all, up and down the lake. I like throwing around the edges and pockets of hydrilla, if it is still there. I also start off throwing a buzzbait and shallow cranks, then plastics. GL and give us a report!

Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: Lucky Al] #3020750 01/18/09 11:00 PM
S
sundownbrown2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Our club just had a tourney there this past weekend, and it took 12# to win. Caught alot of fish. Mostly on green and red spinnerbaits along windy banks with hardwoods.

Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: sundownbrown2] #3037715 01/23/09 02:59 PM
N
Nager2 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Lucky Al, sundownbrown2,

Thanks for the notes and the tips. I think that I will be on the lake on the 31st to see what it looks like and I intend to try as many things as possible. Your notes on types of structure and colors are appreciated. I'll be sure to post the results of both my pre-tournament fishing trip as well as the tournament results.

Thanks again,
Rick

Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: Nager2] #3038687 01/23/09 06:37 PM
M
MeSkeeter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I live about an hr from Coleto and though I fish Mathis and Choke Canyon more often, I love Coleto and fish it at least once a month.

Coleto is a very grassy lake and you must learn how to fish the grass if you are going to be a good Coleto fisherman! For example; fishing the edges of grass lines, potholes, fishing on top of the grass, etc. This kind of fishing is a blast, though sometimes it can be tough because there is just so much good grass and the fish get really spreed out!

Now, when fishing coleto I like to use lures that cover alot of water. Probably my favorite way to fish Coleto, is on top. Most topwater baits can be use to cover alot of water. They also go hand n hand with the grass. Be sure to always take plenty of buzzbaits, ribits, poppers, spooks, and other topwater baits when fishing Coleto. Weedless topwaters are very effective in the heavy grass of Coleto, such as ribbits, ragetails, and even buzzbaits! Work these lurs over the thick matted areas and you will draw many strikes wants they hit potholes or come off the matts.

Do not forget to throw spooks as well. Use these spooks around the edges of grass lines or over grass flats. I have had some of my best Coleto days with a super spook Jr. Im talking fish on every cast.

Another great coleto bait is the senko/kinami fished "wacky" style. Use these lures to taret the edges of grass lines and you will pick up alot of fish. I like watermelon pepper or green pumpkin. Spinner baits and floating rattle traps also put fish in the boat when ripped over, around, and through the grass.

There are many creeks a coves on Coleto. Throughout much of the year, these creeks and coves are very productive. It seems that the further back you get the better the fishing. If you can find a creek that forms out of a cove, then always fish that. Also, if you can find creeks with very distinctive grass lines then fish those too, it will almost look like a perfect wall of grass, bass will be stacked along the edges of these grass walls in the creeks.

Coleto is a very nice lake, probably the pretiest in S. TX!! It is typically fairly clear and doesnt get bad crowds even though it is small. This lake fishes alot like Fayette County lake and I would compare its bass population as well. Many fish around 2 lbs!! Can be real fun!

P.S. Dont go swimming!! Though not as big as the ones in Choke, Coleto still has some huge gators!

Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: MeSkeeter] #3043691 01/25/09 01:57 AM
B
BigDaddy2508 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I almost forgot and so did MeSkeeter make sure you hold your nose right or you will zero for sure!;-) wink

Last edited by BigDaddy2508; 01/25/09 01:57 AM.

2002 Stroker with 2003 Merc 225X SS SM Lower
93.3 GPS

www.strokerboats.com
www.go100mph.com

Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: BigDaddy2508] #3045351 01/25/09 07:17 PM
M
MeSkeeter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Man Bdiddy, you are just tickled to death over our little misunderstanding with the NOSE thing. Im glad we made friends bcause you sound like a pretty fun guy, i mean funny looking (lol). Im just joking, you seem cool!!

BTW, did you like that name I called you, "Bdiddy." Its kinda like how PuffDaddy changed his name to Pdiddy (lol)

Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: MeSkeeter] #3050457 01/27/09 12:04 AM
T
txmrbass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Coleto is about 4'low right now. This time of year I would start out in the trees on the left side of the hot water dishcharge. There is a creek that runs through/behind the trees. spinner baits in perch patten will work. also lizards in mean green or watermelon red. They will also tear up a 3"-4" swim bait worked over the grass. another good place is the first cove across Coleto creek from the discharge. If you run up Coleto Creek go undre the bridge the first creek on the right is a good one. run up further "Watch out for stumps" it will widen out the flat on the left is good with a deep creek on the left side point. all the stumps on the right can be good "Find the creek that runs through them" past that area be real careful running, the creek turns left. the big area stright ahead with the island in it is called the eagels nest. another good place. I know allot of locals are cringing right now if they are reading this, but lets make it fun for everyone. Coleto Bassmasters open tourny is March 7th see ya there stir

Last edited by txmrbass; 01/28/09 12:15 AM.
Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: txmrbass] #3051717 01/27/09 12:26 PM
C
coletocreekcabin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C

Last edited by coletocreekcabin; 01/28/09 10:20 PM.
Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: coletocreekcabin] #3054345 01/27/09 09:55 PM
M
MeSkeeter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Mr. Cabin, I know how you feel. I have felt this way many times before while reading post that people make about Choke Canyon when they live many hrs away and probably fish it 1 a yr at most.

I fish Choke Canyon religiously and still catch smack talk from people bcause I gave a report last year of catching spawning bass on choke as early as late Jan. and all of Feb. These were people that live in N.TX, that hardly fish choke and have no idea how bass act in our warmer S.TX climate! I made the post to help people out but had people accuse me of trying to trick people as to when the spawn was so that I could have it all to myself. Too Strange!! No, fish arent quite spawning on choke currently, give us a warm week and they will start though!

Though I feel your pain, and agree with you; let me warn you against making the type of response post that you just made. It will do nothing but cause you grief. The people that make these kind of posts are busy bodies with nothing better to do than to harass you for offending them. I am still regretting some of my past response posts just like the one you made. There are a lot of these people on the TFF and they will try their best to make you look like a donkey's backside. It is easy for them becasue there is many of them and they can gang up on you. Even if you started off right, you can be made to look wrong when you are fighting 15 people!

BTW, a "know-it-all" is not someone who gives accurate info about something that he knows very well. This is just a knowledgeable person sharing info.

Also, a person doesnt always have to live near a body of water to know it very well. I have fished with several people that know my local waters very well even though they live a long ways from it.

Mr. Cabin, you are very knowledgeable about coleto creek, but you are also very protective of it. One time you called me out about something that I saw on the lake and acted like I didnt knwo what I was talking about. This was angering to me bcause I fish coleto about once a month and know it fairly well. So, dont always be so quick to judge people. But, it most cases I agree with your sentiment!!!

Re: New to Coleto Creek [Re: MeSkeeter] #3054471 01/27/09 10:20 PM
W
Will.i.am Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted By: MeSkeeter
Mr. Cabin, I know how you feel. I have felt this way many times before while reading post that people make about Choke Canyon when they live many hrs away and probably fish it 1 a yr at most.

I fish Choke Canyon religiously and still catch smack talk from people bcause I gave a report last year of catching spawning bass on choke as early as late Jan. and all of Feb. These were people that live in N.TX, that hardly fish choke and have no idea how bass act in our warmer S.TX climate! I made the post to help people out but had people accuse me of trying to trick people as to when the spawn was so that I could have it all to myself. Too Strange!! No, fish arent quite spawning on choke currently, give us a warm week and they will start though!

Though I feel your pain, and agree with you; let me warn you against making the type of response post that you just made. It will do nothing but cause you grief. The people that make these kind of posts are busy bodies with nothing better to do than to harass you for offending them. I am still regretting some of my past response posts just like the one you made. There are a lot of these people on the TFF and they will try their best to make you look like a donkey's backside. It is easy for them becasue there is many of them and they can gang up on you. Even if you started off right, you can be made to look wrong when you are fighting 15 people!

BTW, a "know-it-all" is not someone who gives accurate info about something that he knows very well. This is just a knowledgeable person sharing info.

Also, a person doesnt always have to live near a body of water to know it very well. I have fished with several people that know my local waters very well even though they live a long ways from it.

Mr. Cabin, you are very knowledgeable about coleto creek, but you are also very protective of it. One time you called me out about something that I saw on the lake and acted like I didnt knwo what I was talking about. This was angering to me bcause I fish coleto about once a month and know it fairly well. So, dont always be so quick to judge people. But, it most cases I agree with your sentiment!!!

popcorn loco

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide