Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Calaveras low again [Re: The Texas Alien] #2846323 11/19/08 10:11 PM
S
SportFisher63 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I sent SARA an email a few days ago and have yet to receive an answer. Guess the boat will stay in storage until the water comes up or I'll have to make a coast trip. PINS sure is looking pretty good right now.

See ya on the water,
SportFisher

2008 FunDeck 226 FER
San Antonio, TX
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Calaveras low again [Re: SportFisher63] #2846346 11/19/08 10:16 PM
G
Gonzo63 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Good thing we have Don on our side!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sent my e-mail Don.

Frank

Re: Calaveras low again [Re: Gonzo63] #2847228 11/20/08 05:55 AM
T
TopCat Guide Service aka WhiskerRay Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Email sent from here too. Thanks.

"Anglin with Austin" Thursdays in the Herald
Ray Austin
www.TopCatFishing.Net
Guiding Central and South Texas
(512)663-7166
Read what SA Express News said: http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/outdoors/2010/03/choke-canyon-trip-yields-limit.html#more
Re: Calaveras low again [Re: Gonzo63] #2848546 11/20/08 02:15 PM
A
alwaysfishing Offline
Angler
Angler
A
Ha, that's my fathers truck in the back.

Re: Calaveras low again [Re: alwaysfishing] #2848961 11/20/08 03:32 PM
R
roger t Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
It is obvious that the ramp has got to be fixed & it will be expensive. The only other alternative is to reduce the annual lake draw down. I don't understand "why" the lake has to drawn down to such a reduced level, but maybe they can come up with a better maintenance procedure. This ramp screw up could end up in litigation depending on how the contract was written.
Roger

Re: Calaveras low again [Re: roger t] #2849466 11/20/08 05:18 PM
T
The Texas Alien Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T

Here is the latest response from SARA.....They are trying, but have limited influence upon CPS.

The bull rock installed several months ago at the end of the north ramp has been pushed out about 15-20 feet by propwash, and has basically formed a gravel bar parallel to the end of the ramp and as shallow as about 12 inches below the current low lake level. We do have a contractor scheduled next week to come to the park to alleviate the problem, but until then the ramp will remain closed.

The other ramp is usable, but caution must be exercised as the low lake level has resulted in a wash-out condition at the end of the ramp in the area marked with the buoy. We plan to fill in that area soon.

Regarding the reasons for different water levels, its a bit complicated, but to our knowledge, the lower winter lake level is programmed by CPSE to help them meet annual water rights obligations and SA River flow commitments, plus help conserve electricity by not having to pump so much make up water from the river in the cooler months when the Calaveras Power Plants are not working as hard as in the warmer months.

We have expressed our concern about what seems to us to be lower than usual lake levels with the CPSE operations staff; perhaps you could voice your concern and get more information through contacting the CPSE Public Relations Dept.

Hope this information is helpful

Re: Calaveras low again [Re: roger t] #2850690 11/20/08 10:11 PM
T
The Texas Alien Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Here is the latest from CPS: First, My response with pictures....

Mr. Tieken,

Thank you for responding. We hope to see the lake level rising since you say the pump is running. I will be out there Friday to see.

This is the lowest we have ever seen the lake in four years. It is preventing fishermen from using the ramps which CPS paid for. I know we should pray for rain, but the annual permits for boats and fishing do not say that if it does not rain, we will not be able to use the lake ramps.

We do not understand your obligations to the other usages for the water downstream, but neither does the San Antonio River authority. That sounds strange since that is SARA's primary interest.

What we know, is that we were sold annual permits for a great fishery which CPS is not maintaining.

There is no way that this level is only one foot down from normal. I have fished this lake for years and I know what is showing is not that level.

Please continue to raise the lake to a level that will support the fishery and its paying users.

Thank you,

Don Gadberry

In a message dated 11/20/2008 6:13:56 P.M. Central Standard Time, GRTieken@CPSEnergy.com writes:

Mr. Gadberry,

I received your email and wanted to let you know that we are pumping water into Calaveras Lake at this time. However, the lake level will be maintained at our winter level which is 1 lower than our summer level. The current summer/winter adjustment in lake levels is the result of an agreement with SARA, SAWS and CPSE to better manage lake levels and downstream river flows. The lake level will remain at the winter levels until March/April timeframe, unless we receive rainfall. If you have any additional questions, feel free to email or call me at 210-353-2158.

Thanks,

Gregg Tieken

Re: Calaveras low again [Re: The Texas Alien] #2851079 11/20/08 11:44 PM
T
TopCat Guide Service aka WhiskerRay Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Very well written and gets to the point, they will tell you they are taking measurements from another "official" station. Bad combination with short ramps and lower than normal water levels.

Good luck with your efforts

"Anglin with Austin" Thursdays in the Herald
Ray Austin
www.TopCatFishing.Net
Guiding Central and South Texas
(512)663-7166
Read what SA Express News said: http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/outdoors/2010/03/choke-canyon-trip-yields-limit.html#more
Re: Calaveras low again [Re: TopCat Guide Service aka WhiskerRay] #2852342 11/21/08 12:14 PM
R
roger t Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
How come Braunig doesn't have this "low lake level" problem ? They both are operated by CPS, both are cooling lakes, get their water from the S.A. river ? I just don't get it..
Roger

Re: Calaveras low again [Re: roger t] #2852690 11/21/08 01:26 PM
G
Gonzo63 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Thanks Don!!!!!

Frank

Re: Calaveras low again [Re: Gonzo63] #2853463 11/21/08 04:41 PM
T
The Texas Alien Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
We are getting some results. I think the Mayor will bring it up at the CPS Board meeting Monday. Citizen's input is not allowed at these meetings, but I wrote the Mayor (who is on the Board) and asked him to bring it up.

In the meantime, Sam has given us some hope...

Mr. Gadberry,

I understand that you are upset about the lake levels. I was not aware that the levels had gotten so low. I don't see lake levels on a regular basis. I heard from Dale Bransford last week and began inquiring about the lake levels. I am told that the pumps were down for some repairs, but are now working so the lake levels should be improving.

I wanted to send you the link below to the Texas Instream Flows Program. This effort is mandated by Senate Bill 2 in the 2001 legislature. The TPWD, TCEQ, and TWDB are required to set up a research design and determine the flow requirements to sustain the biota/ecosystem in all the river systems in the state. The Lower San Antonio basin is one of the first basins under study. The lower San Antonio basin is defined as the stream channel from 1604 south to the confluence with the Guadalupe River. There is a stakeholders group that meets every 2 months to help set up the study priorities and define the values important to area stakeholders. The SARA is one of the local sponsors. The next meeting is scheduled for Dec. 9 at the Floresville City Hall. The meeting will be from 8-4. You may be interested in attending.

Hope to see you there,

Sam Helmle

CPS Energy

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments.

Shortcut to: http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/instreamflows/index.html

Re: Calaveras low again [Re: The Texas Alien] #2857615 11/23/08 12:44 AM
R
Rleo50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Prop washout is a real problem that needs to be addressed also. A fine should be imposed on boaters that feel they have to use their 100hp motors to move the boat an extra 6" instead of using the crank. I saw a guy literally blowing water up 10' in the air and it took him several "tries" before he was happy. And that was after the bull rock was placed. Whose attention should I bring this up to?

Re: Calaveras low again [Re: The Texas Alien] #2857887 11/23/08 02:09 AM
D
docdonut Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
I'll try this again...fingers did some wrong walking.

I noticed that when I launch my boat that the boat goes off the trailer in a more vertical angle than it usually does when the water is at normal pool. I have a roller-breakaway trailer which I first used in Minnesota where they have dirt ramps which are on deep water areas. I am afraid that launching my boat at the shallow ramp on Calaveras may result in my prop hitting the bottom of the ramp...it is really hard launching when the water is low...I have to push the boat off and it gets harder everyday. Last Tues I saw a guy trying to load his boat onto his trailer and he ended up ramming it, damaging the trailer guide-on and the lights...

I am emailing CPS per your suggestion....they nee to open that other ramp...Thanks for taking your time to help us all out with this situation...

Re: Calaveras low again [Re: docdonut] #2858515 11/23/08 12:35 PM
T
The Texas Alien Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Any TFF'ers who are out there in the 181 cover, please take a look and report here or by PM whether the pump is running or not. Thank you.

Re: Calaveras low again [Re: The Texas Alien] #2862229 11/24/08 07:09 PM
T
The Texas Alien Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I drove by the 181 cove today and observed the water pump working. It looks like the lake is up a few inches.

Scott Smith of CPS, the one in charge of the lake and overseeing the park services, called me today about emails he had been receiving. He wanted to know the details about the problems we were encountering. A really nice fellow. He did not know anything about the ramp problems and promised to look into that and the lake level and get back with me.

Thanks, guys, for emailing and generating interest. It pays to be nice until they quit trying.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide