Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Laser Boats??? [Re: TLW] #2244807 05/07/08 10:11 PM
JustWingem Offline
Gentleman Jack
Gentleman Jack
Originally Posted By: TLW
Here's your story. And yes I've run lasers since '83. My favorite and current is a 2550 V bottom bass. Tha one I've got now was built more of race boat than fishin' but still gets tha job done. Tha current owners or more interested in golf cart bodies, bathtubs, showers and such. Tha original "Tom" was more boat orientated. than owners now........T

History of Summerford Racing (STV)

by Roark Summerford:
Laser Boats of Texas was the Parent Company that had a race boat division to attract attention to its bass and pleasure boats. The race boats started as one-off tunnel boats and V bottom race boats.

Finally, in 1981 APBA recognized that a large group, mixed of V bottom, and semi-tunnel type boats, could be a single class. The result was the start of the Mod VP class. In this class V bottom, and tunnel boats with a center pod, made of fiberglass, could compete against each other.

Laser needed a new bass boat and with a little work the 380 Ray was built. The 380 Ray was a race boat that could be used as a bass boat, ski boat, and a really good handling V bottom race boat. The first 380 Ray was done just in time for the 1982 Havasau Classic held on Thanksgiving weekend. It was the only Mercury powered boat in a field of 25 boats. The 380 Ray powered by the Mercury blew the field away by finishing a full lap ahead of the field. The 380 Ray was used in the 83-race season and won the over-all title.

It was also evident, that to remain on top of the Mod VP class, it was going to take a tunnel boat. Late in the 1983 race-season, I took a wrecked 380 Ray race-boat and sectioned it by dropping the sides around the veed center. The 18 ft. Vnosed Mod VP boat was born. This boat was known as an LTV, Laser Tunnel Vee. The first two proto-types were raced in Burmuda late in 1983. These boats had what would be known as the ski boat deck on them. Chris Bush & Gray Tuttle drove the boats and Chris simply played with the field. Gary did not have as good luck and blew over on the last lap.

That winter the narrow cockpit deck was developed and the driver was moved one foot forward in the boat. For the 84-race season the 18 ft. boat became known as the LTV and was used even after Laser was sold. At the time of the sale of Laser, the company was split into the Bass boat, Ski boat, combination and the Race boat division. This was the beginning of Summerford Racing and STV.

thumb

Good info!!

DON'T GET CONFUSED BETWEEN MY PERSONALITY AND MY ATTITUDE. MY PERSONALITY IS WHO I AM...MY ATTITUDE DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE
Re: Laser Boats??? [Re: Alton K] #2244829 05/07/08 10:18 PM
JustWingem Offline
Gentleman Jack
Gentleman Jack
Originally Posted By: Alton K
Yep, they still got the molds out back. I always ask them if they ever build one for a good customer and the standard answer is "There ain't enough money that could make us...."! I've always wanted to see thwem build one just so I could watch. Hell, I'd go up there and help just for free to see how it's done.

Oh wel,

-Alton

There have been 2 up for sale after the boat MFG closure. They are still listed in the phone book as Laser boats of TX.

Pat Goff also has some info he might bear on them!

DON'T GET CONFUSED BETWEEN MY PERSONALITY AND MY ATTITUDE. MY PERSONALITY IS WHO I AM...MY ATTITUDE DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE
Re: Laser Boats??? [Re: JustWingem] #2245078 05/07/08 11:38 PM
A
Alton K Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
A
Yeah, they're still there. same old spot up in Roanoke. They are still listed as Laser Boats, but they also run another business there, I don't recall the name. They produce fiberglass sinks, stairs, and showers for manufactured homes. In the office are a bunch of pics of Laser boats. It's pretty neat to look around their shop.

I've never asked them if they are selling the molds. I just wanna see 'em make a boat. I'd love to ride in one.

-Alton

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide