facebook
Forum Stats
93355 Members
58 Forums
747912 Topics
9793904 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#2191016 - 04/21/08 01:26 AM HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs...
OldFrog Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Probably not where you think
WARNING ! I GIVE YOU MY WORD THAT THIS IS NOT A JOKE. GRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS OF AN INJURED DOG TO FOLLOW.

Having owned dogs most of my life, it's normal for me to toss a steak bone to a large dog after I've picked it clean. My two dearly departed black labs, Dixie and Delta, would eat the ribs from any deer I killed with no problems. ( they liked them boiled with a little garlic salt and liquid smoke), as well as pulverize any steak bones.

Friday nite, we grilled two small T-bones and some lamb chops. Gave the T-bone scraps to GF's dog, a 50 lb lab-chow mix. Since the bones were a little thin, I almost decided NOT to give them to her...but I did, and left out the smallest part of the bone, which I trashed. I now regret that decision.

Saturday morning, we went to Wills Point to visit her sister. Got back to her ( GF's) place around 3 AM Sunday morning. I opened the back door and was nearly knocked to my knees from the stench. It was BAD ! Initially, I though that we had left some fish carcasses in her kitchen trash. But no....that wasnt it. I also noticed that her dog wasnt at the door barking as I was unlocking it, too. I began to worry.

I walked in and saw the origin of the smell.

( WARNING ! THE FOLLOWING IS NOT FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH WEAK STOMACHS, NOR THOSE WHO ARE EATING DINNER WHILE READING THIS !)

Long story short.....the dog walked in and I watched clear thick liquid drip from her behind onto the tile kitchen floor, running like a faucet. Lots of it...mixed with blood.

I whisked her outside to the patio and went back inside, where I found what nearly looked like a murder scene on the floor in 3 places. We called the emergency vet who asked some questions and said not to worry....for it was only female problems. I objected to the diagnosis and told him about the bones....he said no...it wasnt the bones, since I could touch the dog's stomach and she didnt flinch. ( at that point we could still not thoroughly inspect the dog's behind...too messy )

Later, we surmised that the poor gal had swallowed a piece of steak bone about the size if a nickel and passed it.....on the love seat in the living room. She had lost all bowel control...on the couch, the love seat, the carpet, the couch pillows...you name it. From what we could tell...( she's still being observed)....is that this piece of bone ripped her a new one on the way out, near the exit. She seems fine today, in no pain and she's cleaned up and eating normally.

The furniture was 100% trashed. That's how bad it was. Not even going to try and clean it...it's soaked. We put the couch and love seat outside.

Moral to the story...don't EVER give your dog steak bones again. Not only will it hurt the dog and maybe kill it, but unless you want to buy new furniture...and even though your dog is 100% house broken, just dont do it, no matter how many times you've done it in the past. It's not worth it.

Cajun Recipes

#2191019 - 04/21/08 01:32 AM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: OldFrog]
nascarchuck Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Benbrook, TX
Sorry to hear about that OF. I hate seeing an animal in pain like that.

We have a litter of puppies that have come down with parvo. We had 7 and the vet put one down last Tues. We had 3 more die on Saturday. Wife is trying to nurse two right now. Kind of iffy on these two. The one remaining puppy that hasnt got sick yet is doing fine right now. Hoefully he can dodge the bullet.

#2191024 - 04/21/08 01:55 AM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: nascarchuck]
lawmann Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Fort Worth
They are not supposed to be fed real bones. Sure they can eat all kinds of pork, cow and chicken bones and maybe not get hurt, but sooner or later things will go bad and you will kill your dog by feeding it bones. I know.

#2191033 - 04/21/08 02:17 AM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: lawmann]
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: South Texas
I was a butcher by trade the last few years, and we sold femur bones or "dog bones" as we called them.

Those are the only real bones you should feed a dog, and then it's not a guarantee that they won't get a piece stuck in their throat.

Had a customer who once a week bought 4 or 5 butterball turkey breast, and had me slice it paper thin.

I got curious one day and ask why she bought so much turkey breast, and she said she had a really small dog and he would lap it up.

I told her that wasn't a good idea to feed her dog that kind of meat, and she said, "but he loves it," and then I didn't see her for several weeks, and when I did, she said, "oh my poor little one died"!

By the way never feed a dog pork or chicken bones! Might as well mix broken glass in their food!

Edited by Jimbo (04/21/08 02:21 AM)

#2191446 - 04/21/08 07:08 AM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: Jimbo]
jeffnsa Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: floresville
i feed my dogs raw chicken and they eat the bones and all. i will pick up small pieces but most are ground and mashed before they are swallowed. never feed cooked bones, they splinter and crack which tears up the intestinal tract. sorry to hear about your dog and i hope she gets better.

by the way more dogs choke to death on dry kibble then problems from bones.

#2191528 - 04/21/08 07:42 AM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: jeffnsa]
DI Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Happy Town, USA
Damn, you just ruined my Pugs day. But I can see how that could happen. I had a shepard once who got a small rib bone wedged perfectly across the top of his mouth, it took 2 grown men to hold him while I 8yrs old at the time reached in and grabbed that bone out, I was told that he would only let me reach in his mouth like that, now thinking back I wonder if my hand was considered expendable???

#2191535 - 04/21/08 07:47 AM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: OldFrog]
ragtopdan Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Lake Palestine
I found this out the hard way too. My Scottish terrier will catch and eat doves and such, feathers and all. We always fed him T-bones but then once, with that big mouth of his, he just swallowed a big chunk of bone and we ended up spending 1500.00 for an operation to get it out of his stomach, where it lodged sideways.

Edited by ragtopdan (04/21/08 07:48 AM)

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one." Thomas Paine

#2191550 - 04/21/08 07:55 AM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: ragtopdan]
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan

Loc: Central Texas
Sorry to hear that about yoru dog...hope she gets better soon..

Another reason my dog does not get table scraps of ANY kind. I did buy her a hamburger when I was getting breakfast after an excellent hunt, but she turned her nose up to it.LOL

Other than that one time, it does not happen in my house..

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

http://www.sure-life.com
http://www.proanglertackle.com
http://www.grizzlycoolers.com
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

#2191863 - 04/21/08 09:35 AM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: TreeBass]
ragtopdan Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Lake Palestine
Originally Posted By: TreeBass
Sorry to hear that about yoru dog...hope she gets better soon..

Another reason my dog does not get table scraps of ANY kind. I did buy her a hamburger when I was getting breakfast after an excellent hunt, but she turned her nose up to it.LOL

Other than that one time, it does not happen in my house..

yeah..thanks, he got better because I did not have the heart to put him down. When it is his time, I will probably have to go with him.....

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one." Thomas Paine

#2192510 - 04/21/08 12:57 PM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: ragtopdan]
bassaholic022 Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Cherokee Shores Cedar Creek La...
I've always heard chicken, or any fowl, bones were not good for a dog. Never heard of issues from beef bones. Mine dont get bones anyway because I cant afford the steaks.

#2192593 - 04/21/08 01:21 PM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: bassaholic022]
Michael Bristow Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
My lab could eat a pork rib faster than...well... never mind.. bad saying.

Well, she got to were she would puke them up. YUCK! Vet said it was becuase she was getting older and didn't have the enzymes left to digest stuff like bones and for me to stop. One could get lodged.

So from that day on, poor Sugar hasn't had any left over pork ribs. She will sit and watch the smoker, drooling, just knowing someone will give her one too!

#2192979 - 04/21/08 03:22 PM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: Michael Bristow]
bella Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Mesquite Texas
Sorry to hear about this. Luckly I have never feed my dog any people food . Table scraps or bones of any type. She still sits & watchs me cook & eat but she knows I ain't giving it up.When I finish eating she'll head to her bowl & eat.

BIG LEO

#2193359 - 04/21/08 05:47 PM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: Jimbo]
anthonyhicks101 Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Princeton, TX
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

By the way never feed a dog pork or chicken bones! Might as well mix broken glass in their food!

Really? I've always heard that but it really depends on the dog. We have mongrel dogs where I live and they can eat chicken bones fresh, day old, week old, etc. and never skip a beat. I finally got tired of eating chicken and just accept the fact some people like to have mongrel dogs running around.
What else will kill a nuisance....er...I mean a dog? Effectively!

#2193581 - 04/21/08 06:30 PM Re: HEADS UP ! No more T-Bones for the dogs... [Re: anthonyhicks101]
Hank1951 Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Kopperl,Tx.
Sorry to hear that Frogman! I've always given my dogs bones too, but I do not do it anymore because & almost lost one of my buddies the same way! I also learned that if a dog gets a bone hung in it's throat, take a tablespoon & force about 2 of them full of apple cider vinegar, the vinegar will dissolve the bone down to the consistancy of rubber!! I read that it is best to give the dog an uncooked bone, they don't splinter & cause problems.

© 1998-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide