Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15054901 04/23/24 04:02 PM
O
over the hill @PK Offline
Angler
Angler
O
Good point BB1

Butch Farmer
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: T-Slab] #15054902 04/23/24 04:02 PM
C_Fisher Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by T-Slab
Glad I’m not part of that [censored] show any longer. 3 years was enough of that cluster, seen a lot of risky decisions in my time there. I feel for the teams that truly had a chance at moving on to state but chose to leave early for safety purposes which I commend the captains for. I know there were some in this predicament and TD screwed these kids over. That tournament should have been postponed for ONE day on Sunday to allow all entrants an equal full day of fishing. The storms were being predicted for days leading up to Saturday.

100% agree. my girls finished 3rd in the AOY this season. they were in 1st place all season and lost a couple of fish on the last tournament of the season that would have finished them in 1st. it was 100% my decision to pull them off the water early on saturday. i felt their safety was way more important that qualifying for state. and i know alot of the other competitive teams did the same thing. don't get me wrong, i'm not coming on here complaining that "we got screwed" or "it's not fair" because it was 100% my decision, but it really should have been pushed back a day to give EVERYONE a fair chance.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: nfhbass] #15054904 04/23/24 04:09 PM
S
Strugglebus Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
S
Originally Posted by nfhbass
Originally Posted by Strugglebus
I live in South Texas so I dont have to ever worry about rain, and have no dog in this fight.... but... something strikes me as interesting as I have been reading this. A lot of us talk about how this generation of snowflakes are soft and how we had it so much harder and are better off for it. "We are real men and know how to persevere through difficult situations, etc". But in this instance everyone is ready to hang a guy who let the kids and captains decide for themselves. This is also kind of like the folks who think the regular citizens are too stupid to make good choices, and need the govt to tell them what to do. Seems to me a lot of kids learned that fishing is sometimes hard, what to do when you are fishing and see lightning, and when to call it a day. Props to the TD, kids learned lessons, and no one was hurt. Maybe by luck, but also maybe by boat captains putting to use the skills THEY learned from their CAPTAINS when they were kids....

There isn’t skill involved in dodging lightning bolts, that is luck. You don’t teach kids how to be lucky, you teach kids to be smart.

Thanks for making my point.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Strugglebus] #15054929 04/23/24 04:31 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
I live in South Texas so I dont have to ever worry about rain, and have no dog in this fight.... but... something strikes me as interesting as I have been reading this. A lot of us talk about how this generation of snowflakes are soft and how we had it so much harder and are better off for it. "We are real men and know how to persevere through difficult situations, etc". But in this instance everyone is ready to hang a guy who let the kids and captains decide for themselves. This is also kind of like the folks who think the regular citizens are too stupid to make good choices, and need the govt to tell them what to do. Seems to me a lot of kids learned that fishing is sometimes hard, what to do when you are fishing and see lightning, and when to call it a day. Props to the TD, kids learned lessons, and no one was hurt. Maybe by luck, but also maybe by boat captains putting to use the skills THEY learned from their CAPTAINS when they were kids....

There isn’t skill involved in dodging lightning bolts, that is luck. You don’t teach kids how to be lucky, you teach kids to be smart.

Comparing government overreach to postponing a hs bass tournament has me scratching my head, I have to admit.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: C_Fisher] #15054950 04/23/24 04:57 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by C_Fisher
Originally Posted by T-Slab
Glad I’m not part of that [censored] show any longer. 3 years was enough of that cluster, seen a lot of risky decisions in my time there. I feel for the teams that truly had a chance at moving on to state but chose to leave early for safety purposes which I commend the captains for. I know there were some in this predicament and TD screwed these kids over. That tournament should have been postponed for ONE day on Sunday to allow all entrants an equal full day of fishing. The storms were being predicted for days leading up to Saturday.

100% agree. my girls finished 3rd in the AOY this season. they were in 1st place all season and lost a couple of fish on the last tournament of the season that would have finished them in 1st. it was 100% my decision to pull them off the water early on saturday. i felt their safety was way more important that qualifying for state. and i know alot of the other competitive teams did the same thing. don't get me wrong, i'm not coming on here complaining that "we got screwed" or "it's not fair" because it was 100% my decision, but it really should have been pushed back a day to give EVERYONE a fair chance.

That’s a shame the TD put you in that position. Luckily you choose safety over advancing.

[Linked Image]
Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: nfhbass] #15055002 04/23/24 06:06 PM
S
Angler
Online Content
Angler
S

Comparing government overreach to postponing a hs bass tournament has me scratching my head, I have to admit.

Im not surprised...

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15055005 04/23/24 06:10 PM
Q
qfast817 Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
Q
I was a captain on Saturdays tournament, weather sucked lol.

I spoke to a few captains at the boat ramp (south d&d) at 550-610 am, most didnt have cell signal, so a mass text message probably wouldn’t have helped untill we hit a area with signal. I know at 130 when we left 60% of the trailers were gone from the parking lot. At 145/150 the big storm came in and I was glad to be off the water.

I took my kids off the lake around 11-1140 for a bathroom break/get out of the rain when weather/lightning were striking close. On of the marinas said it was 26mph winds out at their dock.

I checked the weather app and took back off to fish, bad mistake ended up catching a white cap and messing up my trolling motor and headed in after that.

I myself learned a lot from this myself, being a first year captain.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15055087 04/23/24 07:40 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
No captain or team is "forced" to do anything. If they deem it unsafe, then get off the water. If not, go fishing and take your chances riding the lightning. It happens everyday on lakes, whether kids are involved or not. Does it suck that you may lose that coveted AOY title or some qualification that will require you to dodge more thunderstorms in the future on some unknown lake...I guess so, but it doesnt suck more than being fried alive. And yeah, it's probably not fair to a lot of teams....well welcome to life teenager!! Shoulda coulda woulda. Just do what ya think is right and move on.

The decision of a TD does not supersede common freakin sense people. Do I agree with the TD? NO...the tourney probably shoulda been canceled, but if you are depending on someone else for your safety, then you are part of the problem, not the solution!! The fact that this is a HS tourney only feeds the HS hate narrative that 90% of HS captains are "stupid" and cant drive a boat or make good decisions because they don't compete in "adult" tourneys every other weekend and are not part of the "tournament community". I have been hearing this [censored] for years and yet, most accidents/deaths I see are in adult tourneys, not HS tourneys with 3x as many participants.

This kind of stuff speaks volumes to the lunacy this country has fallen into and "having to be told" what to think, what to buy, or who to vote for. Gather the info and make an educated decision for yourself. It's pretty simple.

There is no right way to do wrong and no wrong way to do right.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15055096 04/23/24 07:53 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
It’s seems like a good many of the tournament accidents these days are in college. Once these kids mature 6 months and go off to college with a brand new 20’ boat and travel the country to lakes they’ve never been on…

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: nfhbass] #15055549 04/24/24 11:36 AM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
It’s seems like a good many of the tournament accidents these days are in college. Once these kids mature 6 months and go off to college with a brand new 20’ boat and travel the country to lakes they’ve never been on…

List the known accidents in the last 5 years in tournaments in Texas for us. Then list each accident as High School, College, or Adult tournament. Lets see the breakdown of the accidents.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: GeoFisher] #15055622 04/24/24 01:09 PM
G
grandbassslayer Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by GeoFisher
No captain or team is "forced" to do anything. If they deem it unsafe, then get off the water. If not, go fishing and take your chances riding the lightning. It happens everyday on lakes, whether kids are involved or not. Does it suck that you may lose that coveted AOY title or some qualification that will require you to dodge more thunderstorms in the future on some unknown lake...I guess so, but it doesnt suck more than being fried alive. And yeah, it's probably not fair to a lot of teams....well welcome to life teenager!! Shoulda coulda woulda. Just do what ya think is right and move on.

The decision of a TD does not supersede common freakin sense people. Do I agree with the TD? NO...the tourney probably shoulda been canceled, but if you are depending on someone else for your safety, then you are part of the problem, not the solution!! The fact that this is a HS tourney only feeds the HS hate narrative that 90% of HS captains are "stupid" and cant drive a boat or make good decisions because they don't compete in "adult" tourneys every other weekend and are not part of the "tournament community". I have been hearing this [censored] for years and yet, most accidents/deaths I see are in adult tourneys, not HS tourneys with 3x as many participants.

This kind of stuff speaks volumes to the lunacy this country has fallen into and "having to be told" what to think, what to buy, or who to vote for. Gather the info and make an educated decision for yourself. It's pretty simple.

This 100%. Everyone complaining seems to have given up their ability to make personal decisions.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: GeoFisher] #15055881 04/24/24 06:27 PM
S
Angler
Online Content
Angler
S
Originally Posted by GeoFisher

Agree with you!

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: RKT] #15055887 04/24/24 06:38 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by RKT

List the known accidents in the last 5 years in tournaments in Texas for us. Then list each accident as High School, College, or Adult tournament. Lets see the breakdown of the accidents.

Could you do that for us?

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15055890 04/24/24 06:42 PM
S
Angler
Online Content
Angler
S
haahahaha, how in the bleep could someone even find that info?? It would be interesting to see.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Strugglebus] #15055897 04/24/24 06:53 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
haahahaha, how in the bleep could someone even find that info?? It would be interesting to see.

I’m looking forward to it also cheers

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide