Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Why all the hate for Boomers? #15029404 03/28/24 12:50 AM
T
tx_basser Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
T
The last year all I have been seeing is how Boomers have screwed up the world and the reason successive generations can't get ahead. I'm like WTF are these people talking about... we created massive industries, sectors of business, the IT field, Computer Science, Medical, Financial, Small Business, etc.

What is it these successive generations think they are owed? All we have asked then to do is get gainfully employed and become productive members of society. The world we handed them was their oyster and most seemed to be content with meaningless jobs, and somehow offended at hard work, manual labor, skilled trades, working your way up the mounting by paying your dues, etc. I mentioned to one that they should start looking at getting a professional certification to accentuate their chosen field. I was told no thanks that unless it was required by company they were not interested and company should also give them paid time to study because when they left work that was their time.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029430 03/28/24 01:14 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Blame it on participation trophy's

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029438 03/28/24 01:26 AM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
I blame Boomers for raising people that raised some of these entitled young people. Luckily there are a lot of good young people out there. Every generation has it's issues. Just like all generations learn over time that they are not as smart as they think they are and will eventually accept that.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029448 03/28/24 01:39 AM
H
HasBen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
Everybody wants to blame someone. It’s the easy way out for some people. How about taking personal responsibility for yourself and your family and go on with life?

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029450 03/28/24 01:42 AM
D
Dan21XRS Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Jealousy... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Mark Perry] #15029455 03/28/24 01:50 AM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I blame Boomers for raising people that raised some of these entitled young people. Luckily there are a lot of good young people out there. Every generation has it's issues. Just like all generations learn over time that they are not as smart as they think they are and will eventually accept that.

I am fortunate to have 2 kids that are doing well respect other people. It amazes me how well my son is holding up after what he has been through this year. Both are very religious. My stepson has been a pleasant surprise.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Stump jumper] #15029463 03/28/24 02:02 AM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Stump jumper

I am fortunate to have 2 kids that are doing well respect other people. It amazes me how well my son is holding up after what he has been through this year. Both are very religious. My stepson has been a pleasant surprise.

That's why I refuse to lump every generation together. We have hired some much younger firefighters at work than normal. They have been great to work with. I have no issues trusting them. They lack some experience butthey work their [censored] off and try to do the best they can. Good people.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029464 03/28/24 02:03 AM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Boomers are the worst.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Sawhorse] #15029483 03/28/24 02:24 AM
T
TR176 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Sawhorse
Boomers are the worst.

The boomers have trillions of $$$. When we finally start croaking in really large numbers SS and Medicare will see relief and a huge number of homes will hit the market and the next gen will have all that money. On the other hand the value of velcro and bologna will crash.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029484 03/28/24 02:32 AM
G
Gusick Online Sick
TFF Guru
Online Sick
TFF Guru
G
Strauss & Howe identified the Boomers as a Prophet generation.

Prophet (Idealist) generations enter childhood during a High, a time of rejuvenated community life and consensus around a new societal order. Prophets grow up as the increasingly indulged children of this post-Crisis era, come of age as self-absorbed young crusaders of an Awakening, focus on morals and principles in midlife, and emerge as elders guiding another Crisis.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029487 03/28/24 02:37 AM
D
deerfeeder Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
It's in the raising. Boomers grew up when there were still actual ethical standards that were adhered to. As time went by, their parents, them and their morality (including to a large degree religiousness) or standards were left behind by the if it feels good do it crowd. And then it slipped even further as more advanced and faster means of communication became standard.

The only way, imo, to get some of the old morality back, is to quit buying into every idiot idea that comes down the pike and stand up against stuff that you know, both intellectually and morally, are wrong. Inherently we know right from wrong, but many are too cowardly to actually stand up and say it's (whatever "it" is the current fad idea) bovine scat and wrong. Yes we all should have equal rights, but that doesn't stretch to equality of outcome, unless you intend for all to be equally miserable under your political and social masters. Who, by the way, will not have to live up to the standards they have set for the lower class folks than themselves.

Non Sibi Sed Patriae -- "Not for self, but for country."

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: deerfeeder] #15029494 03/28/24 02:46 AM
D
Darin S. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by deerfeeder
It's in the raising. Boomers grew up when there were still actual ethical standards that were adhered to. As time went by, their parents, them and their morality (including to a large degree religiousness) or standards were left behind by the if it feels good do it crowd. And then it slipped even further as more advanced and faster means of communication became standard.

The only way, imo, to get some of the old morality back, is to quit buying into every idiot idea that comes down the pike and stand up against stuff that you know, both intellectually and morally, are wrong. Inherently we know right from wrong, but many are too cowardly to actually stand up and say it's (whatever "it" is the current fad idea) bovine scat and wrong. Yes we all should have equal rights, but that doesn't stretch to equality of outcome, unless you intend for all to be equally miserable under your political and social masters. Who, by the way, will not have to live up to the standards they have set for the lower class folks than themselves.

Thanks for chiming in Dr.Phil.

Originally Posted by Westside.
I hate everything
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029495 03/28/24 02:48 AM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
We didn't get what we wanted, we got what we earned.

[Linked Image]

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029500 03/28/24 02:58 AM
1ShotNoKills Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
They stank

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029502 03/28/24 02:59 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Boomers were the first generation that the average family could afford really nice things and they could afford to spoil their children. Boomers were blessed that they got in on the forefront of the explosion of corporate America. Thus they made a lot of money. Seems boomers are either pretty comfortable or broke.

Boomers raised the true first generation of entitled and spoiled children. And that has snowballed into the PC and snowflake gens of today.

Most boomers are cool and have a lot of wisdom to share , but there is a subset of narcissistic boomers that still think their way and opinions are the most important. All gens have them and always will. A lot of successful boomers have a hard time letting go and accepting they are not the top of the food chain anymore.

I do not think anyone hates boomers as a group, it's more like they dislike certain ones on a person by person basis.

#MFGA
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029519 03/28/24 03:50 AM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I’m a boomer. Could care less if people have an issue with me. That way they won’t talk to me and I don’t have to interact with someone that lost at the tide pod Challenge.

Last edited by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI; 03/28/24 03:51 AM.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029524 03/28/24 03:57 AM
G
Gusick Online Sick
TFF Guru
Online Sick
TFF Guru
G
What do you think about this?

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #15029537 03/28/24 04:38 AM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
I’m a boomer. Could care less if people have an issue with me. That way they won’t talk to me and I don’t have to interact with someone that lost at the tide pod Challenge.

Thank you. I supported myself from the time I was 18. I never had a vehicle, boat, rent, insurance, or anything else of significance bought for me. I worked for 47 years, showing up every day and taking pride in what I produced. I was forced to pay into Social Security for all those years, and my employers were forced to match my contributions. I also made it a point to work at a job that provided a pension plan and insurance. I stuck with it with the end goal in sight.

I'm retired now and I don't care what morons who think I owe them something think. I earned everything I ever had, and nothing I have received or am receiving is an "entitlement".

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029544 03/28/24 08:46 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Does anyone think culture and society now is better than it was 30-40 years ago? The start of the downward trend was when boomers were adults, which is why some folks dislike them as a group I think.

Boomers just happened to be the last generation raised by the "hard times make hard people" group, which created the "hard people make easy times group" (their kids were raised in this), and it gave way to "easy times make soft people" group of today's youngsters. IMHO, very few boomers did anything to intentionally push society these directions, but it was their watch when it happened and some folks blame them.

I mostly blame the generation after them. It's folks my age that don't set boundaries for their kids, don't teach and model accountability, give kids phones and power and entitlement without teaching the responsibility and moral virtue that HAS to go along with those things for society to not go the direction it is now. To be fair, boomers raised a lot of kids in one-parent homes, or latchkey kids because both parents were at work, etc., and that environment created a lot of what we see today. But little to none of it was intentional and at that time, it was all correctable if my generation hadn't just been stupid which created the entitlement in the next group.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Razorback] #15029553 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Q
Quillback Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Q
Originally Posted by Razorback

Thank you. I supported myself from the time I was 18. I never had a vehicle, boat, rent, insurance, or anything else of significance bought for me. I worked for 47 years, showing up every day and taking pride in what I produced. I was forced to pay into Social Security for all those years, and my employers were forced to match my contributions. I also made it a point to work at a job that provided a pension plan and insurance. I stuck with it with the end goal in sight.

I'm retired now and I don't care what morons who think I owe them something think. I earned everything I ever had, and nothing I have received or am receiving is an "entitlement".

Yeah it's funny how people think it was easy street for the boomer generation. I spent 6 years as an enlisted man in the US Army, got out and worked full time while going to school at night. Worked hard, many 60 hour weeks and lots of time on the road. It paid off financially in the end. Working smart and hard will still get a person ahead today, lots of opportunity out there.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029555 03/28/24 09:50 AM
C
CCTX Offline
mapquest
mapquest
C
Prior to 1900, many people didn’t get old, you died at fifty…this was normal.

The movie Forrest Gump covers all of this rather well.

Placing some blame on and reacting to the previous generation(s) started in the 1950s and peaked around 1969. Then, those with 1960s values soon realized that they failed their hippie ideals and experienced a disillusioned 1970s while witnessing the expansion of urban America, the efficiency of automated machinery resulting in widespread deforestation with concrete and roads everywhere. This disillusionment resulted in wheels off behavior, other weirdness, wild spread of the herp and disco. Then the 1980s buried the idealistic counter social revolution of the 1950s/1960s snuffing out preservation and restraint to go full on deregulated production. Then something truly amazing happened. There was a brief two years from 1988 to 1990 where the tensions of the Cold War were melting. The Berlin Wall was dismantled and there was great optimism. Then we were back at war for an illusion of resource control and foreign land management. The early1990s were then a reaction to this disappointment and realization that we can’t have sustainable peace.

In countries where economic productivity/capitalism are highly valued; youth and those actively working will be celebrated and those not generating revenue will be easy targets.

[Linked Image]
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029567 03/28/24 10:34 AM
H
Hook'Em 79 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
It’s 5:33 and ou still sucks.

God, Family, Friends
www.sterlingtractor.com

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029576 03/28/24 10:48 AM
R
RickS. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Take it up with the younger Millennials and Gen Z. They know they can't talk chit to Gen X. Because we're the punch you in the mouth generation. roflmao

Jokes aside. Like someone said above. Every generation has good and bad. It's been that way since the dawn of time.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029591 03/28/24 11:03 AM
1ShotNoKills Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I blame the boomers for all of the pet peeve posts. Bunch of sissies yall created.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029592 03/28/24 11:05 AM
Q
Quillback Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Q
I blame it on the internet and social media. People have a place where they can bitch about anything and everything. From grocery shopping to boomers and everything in between. If all you do is read stuff on fishing forums you'll think that the world is coming to an end.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029594 03/28/24 11:10 AM
skeeterokc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Parenting is the biggest issue in our society along with, our school system (which are handcuffed to be able to teach and enforce manners and regulations), lax enforcement of laws and people wanting instant gratification.

Parenting is the key, did the Boomers start this, could be, but each generation afterward accelerated all the issues.
Boomers gave their children the opportunity to think for themselves, provide for themselves, responsibilities and the chance for career opportunities.
Unfortunately, a lot of the offsprings past on the gimmie culture/me culture.

A lot of generations need to look in the mirror to find who to blame on their situation.

Edit:

I am a BOOMER.

Get off my yard.

taz

Last edited by skeeterokc; 03/28/24 11:12 AM.
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029608 03/28/24 11:34 AM
reeltexan Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

I started working at the age of 11.
I worked for 55 years. .
What I have, I earned, through good times and bad.
I love Jesus, my family and this country and don’t care whether the current generation likes me or not.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029611 03/28/24 11:49 AM
Hard Rain Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If you feel the need to blame a prior generation for your problems you have already lost the battle.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029623 03/28/24 12:02 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R
I don't interact too much with the younger generational weirdos except here on the TFF. And that is OK . . . I don't need them much. They gave us Karen and Ken, the "Me 1st" ideations, and not learning their prey's habits (FFS),

Now granted my 2 sons are Zoomers and they seem to be on the right track but my daughter is a non-working git up at noon live in a trashy house lazy zoomer. That's my fault. Internet and TV ruined them too.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Mark Perry] #15029672 03/28/24 12:47 PM
G
grandbassslayer Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G

This is true. The current gen raising kids coddles them and spoils them like I’ve never seen compared to when I was a kid. Don’t even get me started on kids sports nowadays it’s a freaking religion and I’m somehow right in the middle of it…😆

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Razorback] #15029694 03/28/24 01:10 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T

I`m right there with you Razor. I never took a dime from my mother after I got a job at 16 and out of the house and on my own after graduation at 18. I rat-holed money from the time I got a job in 1975 until I retired 3 years ago. I`m not apologizing for any nice things I have or that monthly SSI check I get every month. Mine and my wife's achievements or assets aren`t something we inherited or what was left to us either. We earned it and I don`t give 2 F`s about what some pimpled faced hipster (or any other person) with his face in his phone, drinking a coffee at an overpriced coffee shop thinks about the Boomer Generation.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029697 03/28/24 01:13 PM
H
HasBen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
I love boomers. Heck I am one, my wife is one (barely), my sister and cousins are also boomers. We all had great careers, raised solid families, and retired with money and time left on the clock. So, keep complaining about boomers, but you might want to critique yourself and the mistakes you may have made with your life if you are unhappy. It might be your own fault, not the boomer down the street.

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: TPACK] #15029699 03/28/24 01:16 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by TPACK

I`m right there with you Razor. I never took a dime from my mother after I got a job at 16 and out of the house and on my own after graduation at 18. I rat-holed money from the time I got a job in 1975 until I retired 3 years ago. I`m not apologizing for any nice things I have or that monthly SSI check I get every month. Mine and my wife's achievements or assets aren`t something we inherited or what was left to us either. We earned it and I don`t give 2 F`s about what some pimpled faced hipster (or any other person) with his face in his phone, drinking a coffee at an overpriced coffee shop thinks about the Boomer Generation.

But Razor and TPACK (so tempted to write TP). Please tell us how you really feel.

BTW, held a job since I was 15. Retired 4 years and think SS reimbursement should be doubled. I'll never get back what I paid into it.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029711 03/28/24 01:27 PM
D
Dogfish_Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
A Baby Boomer means you were born between 1946 - 1964, but lets look at the Generation x group, they were born between 1965 - 1980.
Just from this list a Boomer is between 60 - 78, Generation X between 44 - 59.
I am assuming here most of us here fit in the 60-78 group, I do, I am 65 years young.

A- Then as a baby boomer, the later stages of one at least, I have seen the demise of many qualities of the family, moral values and work ethics.

B- But lets look at the The Silent Generation, born between 1928 - 1945

C- The Greatest Generation or the GI generation born between 1901 - 1927.

Our parents would come from the Silent Generation mainly, again mine did. They were the kids who grew up during the depression, World War II era. Cold War, Berlin Wall going up.To me a very defining era to say the least. Wall

D- Baby Boomers grew up in the Rocking 50's, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and James Brown. Let';add in sex drugs and rock and roll as we call it. Being I am in the latter stages of the Baby Boomers, I grew up watch the Vietnam war on TV but also watch man walk on the moon. But we also had the riots of 68, the assassination of the Kennedy's, MLK to the Charles Mansion cult murders. Let's not forget Watergate.Ronald Reagan and the Berlin Wall coming down.

E- Generation X 1965- 1980, they grew up with......Pong, IBM, Packard Bell, Atari, Compaq, Microsoft. Gulf War

F- Let look at Generation Y, meaning born between 1981 - 1996, these are my kids era. They grew up with PlayStation, Xbox, Cell phones, Every one wins. The coming out of the closets for homosexuals.Transvestites being leaders in this country. A President that has last stage dementia and people still want him, well 81 million people do.

Now tell me where it went wrong............

Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 03/28/24 01:32 PM.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029752 03/28/24 01:58 PM
603Country Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
In my opinion, it went wrong in the late 60’s, during the Viet Nam war. The hippie generation started the ‘no respect for authority’. They raised their kids like that, and here we are.

I wasn’t a hippie. About the time the Free Love thing started, I had just joined the Marines. Now, if I had KNOWN the free love thing was coming, I might have put off the USMC. But…I just remembered that I was about to be drafted. Heck, my timing was just bad. My draft number was 113. If born 9 hours earlier, my draft number would have been number 1.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: CCTX] #15029796 03/28/24 02:43 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by CCTX

The movie Forrest Gump covers all of this rather well.

Placing some blame on and reacting to the previous generation(s) started in the 1950s and peaked around 1969. Then, those with 1960s values soon realized that they failed their hippie ideals and experienced a disillusioned 1970s while witnessing the expansion of urban America, the efficiency of automated machinery resulting in widespread deforestation with concrete and roads everywhere. This disillusionment resulted in wheels off behavior, other weirdness, wild spread of the herp and disco. Then the 1980s buried the idealistic counter social revolution of the 1950s/1960s snuffing out preservation and restraint to go full on deregulated production. Then something truly amazing happened. There was a brief two years from 1988 to 1990 where the tensions of the Cold War were melting. The Berlin Wall was dismantled and there was great optimism. Then we were back at war for an illusion of resource control and foreign land management. The early1990s were then a reaction to this disappointment and realization that we can’t have sustainable peace.

In countries where economic productivity/capitalism are highly valued; youth and those actively working will be celebrated and those not generating revenue will be easy targets.

In this day and age dying at 50 may be a blessing

#MFGA
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: HasBen] #15029798 03/28/24 02:47 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by HasBen
I love boomers. Heck I am one, my wife is one (barely), my sister and cousins are also boomers. We all had great careers, raised solid families, and retired with money and time left on the clock. So, keep complaining about boomers, but you might want to critique yourself and the mistakes you may have made with your life if you are unhappy. It might be your own fault, not the boomer down the street.

I am Gen X and retired before many boomers. My Boomer father taught me the importance of hard work, saving and not being afraid to risk it all if you think it can be a home run.

Thanks Pops and Satoshi Nakamoto!

#MFGA
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Hard Rain] #15029815 03/28/24 03:06 PM
B
bloo_rainger Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted by Hard Rain
If you feel the need to blame a prior generation for your problems you have already lost the battle.

Our grandkids are going to hate us with a passion.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Douglas J] #15029823 03/28/24 03:13 PM
S
steveiam Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Douglas J

I am Gen X and retired before many boomers. My Boomer father taught me the importance of hard work, saving and not being afraid to risk it all if you think it can be a home run.

Honestly I had to look up that last name-
I didn’t know that-

thumb

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Douglas J] #15029825 03/28/24 03:14 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R

Yeah, I know that second guy. Had the skyscraper Nakamoto Towers that John McClain partied in.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: bloo_rainger] #15029827 03/28/24 03:15 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by bloo_rainger
Originally Posted by Hard Rain

Our grandkids are going to hate us with a passion.

I'm reminded:

"Hard times create strong men, strong men create easy times, easy times create weak men, weak men create difficult times."

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: RayBob] #15029832 03/28/24 03:18 PM
G
grandbassslayer Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by RayBob

Yeah, I know that second guy. Had the skyscraper Nakamoto Towers that John McClain partied in.

[Linked Image]

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029838 03/28/24 03:29 PM
F
Flip Flop Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
it's a cultural thing

hate is "in"

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: steveiam] #15029844 03/28/24 03:39 PM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by steveiam

Honestly I had to look up that last name-
I didn’t know that-

thumb

And still...nobody knows who the heck that person really is. cheers

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029856 03/28/24 04:04 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
[Linked Image]

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029859 03/28/24 04:08 PM
S
Samsonsworld Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Boomers are twice the people as millinials and whatever today's tards are called.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029862 03/28/24 04:10 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Food for thought. Boomers were the last generation to live in a time with a military draft.

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029871 03/28/24 04:22 PM
T
tx_basser Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
T
I see a lot of young kids come out of college/intern program in our work environment,, and they are smart,, really smart, but they have no patience or desire but do the absolute minimum. A few will go out of their way to understand the long game and they seem to excel, but by and large most of them are gone within 3 years or less because they think they should already be Mgmt. Then realty sits in and I find them later after job hopping and completely miserable.

Got 2 grown kids, and one has it figured out and realizes hard work pays off in the long run. Raises, Promotions, Marriage, Buying new home, etc... The other, it has been a chore but is starting to turn it around. I feel for those that really have no desire to achieve, because there is a reckoning at some point in many of their lives when they look up and go.. WTH

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #15029889 03/28/24 04:38 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Food for thought. Boomers were the last generation to live in a time with a military draft.

They quit the draft before I was 18 (1976) and I never even had to register. I grew up watching the evening news and always thought I would have to go to Viet Nam, but it ended before I was old enough. I have a friend that`s 10 years older than I am who went over there, and I thank him often for what he did. He broke his ankle jumping out of a helicopter and his group didn`t go up a hill they were going to go up because of it. His broken ankle kept them from walking into a big group of the enemy that were going to ambush them, and it saved him and many of his buddies' lives because of it. I always felt lucky that I didn`t have to go to that hell hole.

From late 1975 until 1980, young American men no longer had to register for the draft.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029891 03/28/24 04:38 PM
S
SoonerDG Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by tx_basser
The last year all I have been seeing is how Boomers have screwed up the world and the reason successive generations can't get ahead. I'm like WTF are these people talking about... we created massive industries, sectors of business, the IT field, Computer Science, Medical, Financial, Small Business, etc.

They're absolutely right! Boomers created a society with an expectation of integrity and work ethic. Most of the current generation has neither. So they're finding it hard to get ahead in a world that still has those expectations.

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029895 03/28/24 04:41 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by tx_basser
I see a lot of young kids come out of college/intern program in our work environment,, and they are smart,, really smart, but they have no patience or desire but do the absolute minimum. A few will go out of their way to understand the long game and they seem to excel, but by and large most of them are gone within 3 years or less because they think they should already be Mgmt. Then realty sits in and I find them later after job hopping and completely miserable.

To be fair, companies do the bare minimum for employees these days. They used to provide pensions, end of year profit sharing, raises that kept up with the open market for your skill set, presents for reaching certain milestones (5/10/20 years at the company), bonuses when major delivery milestones are met, etc. 20 years ago our company did all that...now it does none of it. We have a job-hopper in our room. Highest paid lowest performing employee in the department.

The ones gone in 3 years probably getting paid way more than the ones staying around working hard. Hard work is for folks who listen to boomers and want to play by 1950s rules, not for folks looking to be paid maximum for their services in today's market. The company isn't playing the long game - they're focused on next quarterly earnings report...so it doesn't make any sense for employees to play a different game.

I've been here nearly 20 years...so I'm not part of that game, but I'd also be a fool to resent those who understand how things have evolved.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029897 03/28/24 04:42 PM
Y
YEE_YEE Online Confused
TFF Celebrity
Online Confused
TFF Celebrity
Y
Cause OU sucks
HOOK EM HORNS

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029919 03/28/24 04:57 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Being born in '49, I am to the point where I don't give a fat, large rodent's rosey, fat, rear end, what the younger, and even a lot of the older folks, think about me. I'm like Popeye, I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam. Toot toot.

Non Sibi Sed Patriae -- "Not for self, but for country."

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Douglas J] #15029968 03/28/24 05:42 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by CCTX

In this day and age dying at 50 may be a blessing

If elcoyote and his hateful heart had anything to do with it, it would be a requirement.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: YEE_YEE] #15029990 03/28/24 06:15 PM
S
SoonerDG Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by YEE_YEE
Cause OU sucks
HOOK EM HORNS

WOW!!! OU is living deep, DEEP in your head rent free. This is truly pathetic! I can count on 1 hand the times that UT even crosses my mind in a year.

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: TPACK] #15030077 03/28/24 08:28 PM
S
Siberman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by TPACK
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

They quit the draft before I was 18 (1976) and I never even had to register.

From late 1975 until 1980, young American men no longer had to register for the draft.

Hmmm , I had to register at 18 in 1978 . confused 3

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15030082 03/28/24 08:44 PM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
Most generations/groupings dislike each other.

There are:

Baby boomers
Generation X
Millennials
Generation Z -- I think that's the name of the kids born to millennials

I've never known Generation X to dislike or really bad-mouth the Baby Boomers, but the millenials, (yes, the kids of my generation, Generation X) hate everyone, and they are raising Generation Z.

I admit it, somehow, my generation, one of the best, Generation X, raised the millenials, and did a horrible job of overprotecting.

Now, we all suffer with the repercussions.
It must be millenials that are constantly badmouthing the boomers. I don't.

...------

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15030113 03/28/24 09:45 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Boomers were kind of half gritty and hard working and the other half a bunch bisex seeking hippies.

#MFGA
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Douglas J] #15030125 03/28/24 09:56 PM
skeeterokc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Boomers were kind of half gritty and hard working and the other half a bunch bisex seeking hippies.

lol_2 True statement, BUT the hippies eventually grew up and became very productive, working citizens.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15030128 03/28/24 09:58 PM
skeeterokc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
With all the Boomer talk, I have to do this.

BOOMER

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15030140 03/28/24 10:14 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
How can an entire generation of people be blamed for anything? That's stereotyping and ridiculous. I'm only responsible for me.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: skeeterokc] #15030204 03/28/24 11:45 PM
B
BobCobb Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Go Pokes

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide