T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Razorback
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
I’m a boomer. Could care less if people have an issue with me. That way they won’t talk to me and I don’t have to interact with someone that lost at the tide pod Challenge.

Thank you. I supported myself from the time I was 18. I never had a vehicle, boat, rent, insurance, or anything else of significance bought for me. I worked for 47 years, showing up every day and taking pride in what I produced. I was forced to pay into Social Security for all those years, and my employers were forced to match my contributions. I also made it a point to work at a job that provided a pension plan and insurance. I stuck with it with the end goal in sight.

I'm retired now and I don't care what morons who think I owe them something think. I earned everything I ever had, and nothing I have received or am receiving is an "entitlement".

I`m right there with you Razor. I never took a dime from my mother after I got a job at 16 and out of the house and on my own after graduation at 18. I rat-holed money from the time I got a job in 1975 until I retired 3 years ago. I`m not apologizing for any nice things I have or that monthly SSI check I get every month. Mine and my wife's achievements or assets aren`t something we inherited or what was left to us either. We earned it and I don`t give 2 F`s about what some pimpled faced hipster (or any other person) with his face in his phone, drinking a coffee at an overpriced coffee shop thinks about the Boomer Generation.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029697 03/28/24 01:13 PM
H
HasBen Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
I love boomers. Heck I am one, my wife is one (barely), my sister and cousins are also boomers. We all had great careers, raised solid families, and retired with money and time left on the clock. So, keep complaining about boomers, but you might want to critique yourself and the mistakes you may have made with your life if you are unhappy. It might be your own fault, not the boomer down the street.

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: TPACK] #15029699 03/28/24 01:16 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by TPACK
Originally Posted by Razorback
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
I’m a boomer. Could care less if people have an issue with me. That way they won’t talk to me and I don’t have to interact with someone that lost at the tide pod Challenge.

Thank you. I supported myself from the time I was 18. I never had a vehicle, boat, rent, insurance, or anything else of significance bought for me. I worked for 47 years, showing up every day and taking pride in what I produced. I was forced to pay into Social Security for all those years, and my employers were forced to match my contributions. I also made it a point to work at a job that provided a pension plan and insurance. I stuck with it with the end goal in sight.

I'm retired now and I don't care what morons who think I owe them something think. I earned everything I ever had, and nothing I have received or am receiving is an "entitlement".

I`m right there with you Razor. I never took a dime from my mother after I got a job at 16 and out of the house and on my own after graduation at 18. I rat-holed money from the time I got a job in 1975 until I retired 3 years ago. I`m not apologizing for any nice things I have or that monthly SSI check I get every month. Mine and my wife's achievements or assets aren`t something we inherited or what was left to us either. We earned it and I don`t give 2 F`s about what some pimpled faced hipster (or any other person) with his face in his phone, drinking a coffee at an overpriced coffee shop thinks about the Boomer Generation.

But Razor and TPACK (so tempted to write TP). Please tell us how you really feel.

BTW, held a job since I was 15. Retired 4 years and think SS reimbursement should be doubled. I'll never get back what I paid into it.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029711 03/28/24 01:27 PM
D
Dogfish_Jones Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
A Baby Boomer means you were born between 1946 - 1964, but lets look at the Generation x group, they were born between 1965 - 1980.
Just from this list a Boomer is between 60 - 78, Generation X between 44 - 59.
I am assuming here most of us here fit in the 60-78 group, I do, I am 65 years young.

A- Then as a baby boomer, the later stages of one at least, I have seen the demise of many qualities of the family, moral values and work ethics.

B- But lets look at the The Silent Generation, born between 1928 - 1945

C- The Greatest Generation or the GI generation born between 1901 - 1927.

Our parents would come from the Silent Generation mainly, again mine did. They were the kids who grew up during the depression, World War II era. Cold War, Berlin Wall going up.To me a very defining era to say the least. Wall

D- Baby Boomers grew up in the Rocking 50's, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and James Brown. Let';add in sex drugs and rock and roll as we call it. Being I am in the latter stages of the Baby Boomers, I grew up watch the Vietnam war on TV but also watch man walk on the moon. But we also had the riots of 68, the assassination of the Kennedy's, MLK to the Charles Mansion cult murders. Let's not forget Watergate.Ronald Reagan and the Berlin Wall coming down.

E- Generation X 1965- 1980, they grew up with......Pong, IBM, Packard Bell, Atari, Compaq, Microsoft. Gulf War

F- Let look at Generation Y, meaning born between 1981 - 1996, these are my kids era. They grew up with PlayStation, Xbox, Cell phones, Every one wins. The coming out of the closets for homosexuals.Transvestites being leaders in this country. A President that has last stage dementia and people still want him, well 81 million people do.

Now tell me where it went wrong............

Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 03/28/24 01:32 PM.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029752 03/28/24 01:58 PM
603Country Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
In my opinion, it went wrong in the late 60’s, during the Viet Nam war. The hippie generation started the ‘no respect for authority’. They raised their kids like that, and here we are.

I wasn’t a hippie. About the time the Free Love thing started, I had just joined the Marines. Now, if I had KNOWN the free love thing was coming, I might have put off the USMC. But…I just remembered that I was about to be drafted. Heck, my timing was just bad. My draft number was 113. If born 9 hours earlier, my draft number would have been number 1.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: CCTX] #15029796 03/28/24 02:43 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by CCTX
Prior to 1900, many people didn’t get old, you died at fifty…this was normal.

The movie Forrest Gump covers all of this rather well.

Placing some blame on and reacting to the previous generation(s) started in the 1950s and peaked around 1969. Then, those with 1960s values soon realized that they failed their hippie ideals and experienced a disillusioned 1970s while witnessing the expansion of urban America, the efficiency of automated machinery resulting in widespread deforestation with concrete and roads everywhere. This disillusionment resulted in wheels off behavior, other weirdness, wild spread of the herp and disco. Then the 1980s buried the idealistic counter social revolution of the 1950s/1960s snuffing out preservation and restraint to go full on deregulated production. Then something truly amazing happened. There was a brief two years from 1988 to 1990 where the tensions of the Cold War were melting. The Berlin Wall was dismantled and there was great optimism. Then we were back at war for an illusion of resource control and foreign land management. The early1990s were then a reaction to this disappointment and realization that we can’t have sustainable peace.

In countries where economic productivity/capitalism are highly valued; youth and those actively working will be celebrated and those not generating revenue will be easy targets.

In this day and age dying at 50 may be a blessing

#MFGA
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: HasBen] #15029798 03/28/24 02:47 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by HasBen
I love boomers. Heck I am one, my wife is one (barely), my sister and cousins are also boomers. We all had great careers, raised solid families, and retired with money and time left on the clock. So, keep complaining about boomers, but you might want to critique yourself and the mistakes you may have made with your life if you are unhappy. It might be your own fault, not the boomer down the street.

I am Gen X and retired before many boomers. My Boomer father taught me the importance of hard work, saving and not being afraid to risk it all if you think it can be a home run.

Thanks Pops and Satoshi Nakamoto!

#MFGA
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Hard Rain] #15029815 03/28/24 03:06 PM
B
bloo_rainger Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted by Hard Rain
If you feel the need to blame a prior generation for your problems you have already lost the battle.

Our grandkids are going to hate us with a passion.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Douglas J] #15029823 03/28/24 03:13 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Douglas J

I am Gen X and retired before many boomers. My Boomer father taught me the importance of hard work, saving and not being afraid to risk it all if you think it can be a home run.

Honestly I had to look up that last name-
I didn’t know that-

thumb

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: Douglas J] #15029825 03/28/24 03:14 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R

Yeah, I know that second guy. Had the skyscraper Nakamoto Towers that John McClain partied in.

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: bloo_rainger] #15029827 03/28/24 03:15 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by bloo_rainger
Originally Posted by Hard Rain
If you feel the need to blame a prior generation for your problems you have already lost the battle.

Our grandkids are going to hate us with a passion.

I'm reminded:

"Hard times create strong men, strong men create easy times, easy times create weak men, weak men create difficult times."

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: RayBob] #15029832 03/28/24 03:18 PM
G
grandbassslayer Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by RayBob

Yeah, I know that second guy. Had the skyscraper Nakamoto Towers that John McClain partied in.

[Linked Image]

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029838 03/28/24 03:29 PM
F
Flip Flop Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
it's a cultural thing

hate is "in"

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: steveiam] #15029844 03/28/24 03:39 PM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by steveiam

Honestly I had to look up that last name-
I didn’t know that-

thumb

And still...nobody knows who the heck that person really is. cheers

Re: Why all the hate for Boomers? [Re: tx_basser] #15029856 03/28/24 04:04 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P