Forums59
Topics1,039,379
Posts13,963,616
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15009266 03/06/24 03:37 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Are we allowed to tag bass, for research purposes of course; with a metal tag with a very strong sonar return so we can see them better on live sonar?

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: Floon Swenson] #15009267 03/06/24 03:39 PM
G
grandbassslayer Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Floon Swenson
I feel fundamentally restrained that electro-fishing isn't allowed for recreational anglers.

Spot it n' shock it.

I was pre fishing a tournament a few years back, run down a bank about 100 yards and don’t get a bite. Well here comes a boat I’ve never seen before and it was the fisheries department shock boat. He shocks that water and I was amazed at how many bass I had fished thru- he was scooping them up as fast as he could…🤷‍♂️😂

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: CCTX] #15009333 03/06/24 04:39 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by CCTX
Are we allowed to tag bass, for research purposes of course; with a metal tag with a very strong sonar return so we can see them better on live sonar?

I've seen a guide release a fish with a long length of mono tied to a balloon so he could follow the schools in open water..........

Are there rules against that?

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: sprigsss] #15009338 03/06/24 04:42 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by sprigsss
Originally Posted by CCTX

I've seen a guide release a fish with a long length of mono tied to a balloon so he could follow the schools in open water..........

Are there rules against that?

if he had FFS he would not need that trailer park tracking device

#MFGA
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15009339 03/06/24 04:42 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Only if the balloon/mono set up is for "research purposes"?

[Linked Image]
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15009350 03/06/24 04:52 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
several years ago got invited to observe a sprayboat on Eufaula (Al.) in spring of the year.......couple real interesting observations....we did several miles of electroshocking along east bank of eufaula in lower part of the lake....the shock boat shocked almost no bass or fish along bare banks but if there was grass/weeds exrending out from the bank,they shocked up numerous bass,crappie,catfish and carp many of which were probably bedding in the grass.......
I was in my boat using trolling motor to stay a little ahead and out from the shock boat....when we would pass grass beds,I saw numerous large bass swim out of the grass to deeper water before the boat got close enough to shock them...they probably shocked up over 200 fish of all species that I saw come to the top and many of them got away before they could be dipped up.... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15009689 03/06/24 10:18 PM
M
Marion Morrison Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Opinion only.

I think it takes away from fishing. Two of the biggest challenges I faced in tournaments was the question: Did my fish leave the area or am I throwing the right bait? Do I move now since the fish may have moved or do I wait them out?

These are strategic questions every angler asks if they are seriously trying to catch fish. FFS will tell the answer and in my opinion takes a lot of the strategic thinking out of fishing.

Why does an angler need a crankbait for all depths any more?
Why does an angler need a ton of rod and reels with different actions, different types of line, and different sizes now?
Why does an angler need search baits that cover water?
The list goes on and on.
Answer from watching TV on any recent Saturday, they don't...

Everyone has a different opinion but this is mine.

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15009728 03/06/24 11:15 PM
B
Bassinamped Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Guys mad on here probably get mad they can’t compete with the FFS guys because they spend too much time griping about FFS rather than going fishing! 😂

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: Marion Morrison] #15009733 03/06/24 11:20 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Marion Morrison
Opinion only.

I think it takes away from fishing. Two of the biggest challenges I faced in tournaments was the question: Did my fish leave the area or am I throwing the right bait? Do I move now since the fish may have moved or do I wait them out?

These are strategic questions every angler asks if they are seriously trying to catch fish. FFS will tell the answer and in my opinion takes a lot of the strategic thinking out of fishing.

Why does an angler need a ton of rod and reels with different actions, different types of line, and different sizes now?
The list goes on and on.

That’s a solid take on the subject.
cheers

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: Marion Morrison] #15009746 03/06/24 11:42 PM
G
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Marion Morrison
Opinion only.

The list goes on and on.

We all get an opinion, I respect yours, I’ll just counter and say that livescope doesn’t change all of those things- it may make it faster to solve the puzzle, but as we have seen with our own eyes the past few weeks- it’s still a very difficult puzzle that few can solve…

Last edited by grandbassslayer; 03/06/24 11:42 PM.
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15009753 03/06/24 11:43 PM
G
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
If any of the guys going home without cashing a check had the skills then they would’ve used them.

Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15009788 03/07/24 12:34 AM
C
Cuervo Jones Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I was out today and using crankbaits with FFS.
Still need and use different depth divers.
Still search for fish.
They’re hard to spot among rocks and weeds.
Still a lot of casting and looking around.
It’s not all like you see on tv.

“Slide”
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15009807 03/07/24 12:58 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by SC-001
Had some family over at the house for Sunday dinner, all are very avid deer hunters and casual bank fisherman but aren't in the know about tournament fishing or the new sonar technology. Had the Fork event on and their take on FFS was, "that's cheating", "shouldn't be allowed in competition". Just a casual observation from some non biased outdoorsman. Makes me wonder if this might be the standard view by most not entrenched in the sport, what do yall think?

"Deer Hunters" right???? So they set up a feeder for the deer to come to and eat before deer season so they get used to coming to it. Then they set up a deer blind that blends in with the surroundings , put on oils that cover the human scent so the deer won't smell you, you sit there with a high powered rifle with a scope and shoot the deer when it comes up to eat. HOW IS THAT NOT CHEATING, THAT IS NOT HUNTING, THAT IS AMBUSHING DEER. So based on what they said about FFS being cheating, did you tell them that they need to leave the gun at home and chase down the deer and kill it by hand. See how well they do at that.

Last edited by ezbassin; 03/07/24 01:07 AM.
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: SC-001] #15009812 03/07/24 01:05 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Terry W.
No worse than feeding trophy deer 24/7 , then shooting them 50 yards away LOL

Originally Posted by beartrap
if you use food plots or feeders to attract deer and cameras to determine their feeding times,would that be cheating and "deer shooting" instead of deer hunting?

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Had some family over at the house for Sunday dinner, all are very avid deer hunters and casual bank fisherman but aren't in the know about tournament fishing or the new sonar technology. Had the Fork event on and their take on FFS was, "that's cheating", "shouldn't be allowed in competition". Just a casual observation from some non biased outdoorsman. Makes me wonder if this might be the standard view by most not entrenched in the sport, what do yall think?

Tell your avid deer hunters to put away their guns,, throw a corn cob with a hook in it to their deer. Convince the deer to eat it, then reel the deer in.

Hiding and shooting a deer from a blind in a baited area is cheating.

Originally Posted by Harleydude
I assume these family members are all 100% spot and stalk hunters to make such claims.

Originally Posted by WAWI
They all hunt low fence but do bait.

They probably have cameras that link to their phone so they can see what's hitting feeder every day also.

You guys can deflect all you want, I'm just saying what I observed from impartial viewers. And I bet most others might have the same re-action.

They are NOT IMPARTIAL viewers like you say. Ask them why they cheat at deer hunting but think FFS is cheating in fishing. I guess your "impartial hunters" think it is ok to cheat shooting deer but you should not use FFS for catching fish.

That is my "non biased" opinion of the deer hunters you speak of from an impartial viewer.

Last edited by ezbassin; 03/07/24 01:21 AM.
Re: A non tournament anglers view on FFS [Re: Cuervo Jones] #15009864 03/07/24 02:27 AM
G
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones
I was out today and using crankbaits with FFS.
Still need and use different depth divers.
Still search for fish.
They’re hard to spot among rocks and weeds.
Still a lot of casting and looking around.
It’s not all like you see on tv.

You mean you weren’t out shooting 8 pounders with your lures like all the naysayers here suggest?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide