Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15016566 03/14/24 12:27 PM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
A TFF'r pinged me with a link of one of my older threads. These have a tremendous amount of info on them, if you go thru them you can pick up allot of good information. Thanks (Snagged).

2021 Denton Creek

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13907459/all/denton-creek-2021

Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15018429 03/16/24 02:42 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Could be wrong but I feel last week was the peak of the run. This week should be good too but I feel like we are over the hump this year. Would not surprise me if it winds down by April this year

Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15018473 03/16/24 03:28 PM
S
SwampyMarsh Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I fished around Henrietta hole and down river a half mile or so yesterday for about 2 hours and didn't catch anything. I did snag a gar on accident as they were all over the place. I'm sure it was the rain that turned them off, so hopefully next week will be good again.

Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: KidKrappie] #15018924 03/17/24 01:22 AM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by KidKrappie
Could be wrong but I feel last week was the peak of the run. This week should be good too but I feel like we are over the hump this year. Would not surprise me if it winds down by April this year

Interesting. I only caught a few females. They were small females but clearly bulging with eggs. Everybody I spoke with had the same results. Did the remainder of the females already come in and leave? Did you catch a lot of big females early in the run?

Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15019128 03/17/24 12:38 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I have been catching females mixed in for several weeks now. First limit out of there was 2/16. The females are in certain areas more than others and I would say about half of the ones I have caught have been spawned out/spawning .

Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15019804 03/18/24 02:18 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Got any pictures of those females? We are seeing them on main lake, and they are huge. I haven't seen anyone who has seen a big female on the creek yet. Would like to see Pictures of you got them, I doubt they will be up with all the moving water we have been seeing.

Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15020039 03/18/24 01:19 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Even better… I’ve got videos. Check them out on my channel. Multiple videos with fat females

Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15020685 03/19/24 12:27 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Rock on! Love videos. Did real well today on main lake. Will post some pic soon. Magnum Sandbass on the humps north of the crusher.

I referenced the humps north of the crusher several times, stayed off the top and casted over the hump with a small blade bait. I just reeled a few cranks and let it fall. Fish are tight to the bottom. Just save this Google map link, and go-to it using your phone. I stayed downwind of the hump, the fish are setting up on the north side.
Lots of good eating size catfish, and I had 54 casts in a row. About 50% are big, and the other 50% is (8-12"). I took a few pictures so you could see the north bank In the background. I fished the humps from 2-5pm. I checked others on the north end of the lake but they weren't any good.

https://goo.gl/maps/5HpsGsF6m42LgCP16

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 03/19/24 01:19 AM.
Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15021160 03/19/24 04:24 PM
T
TimthePoolMan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Thank you sir. Gonna hit that on the kayak today while I wait for the creek to come down just a bit more.

Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15023799 03/22/24 03:27 AM
J
JakeMcD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
When y'all talk about these "steps", are you just referring to ledges or quick dropoffs in the creek? Does this ledge/step extend across the whole creek channel? I have not fished Denton Creek much.

Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15024139 03/22/24 04:18 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I refer to the steps as the gravel bars that typically stop the water, and create a step where the water level increases upstream. There are the fast moving water over the gravel bars, and there is a deeper pool above them. Right now they are mostly underwater, you would have to go to Henrietta Hole, and above to find these now. Water is really high for this time of the year, and if we get one of those "Belly Washer" April floods we are going to have another year of flushed fish. There are actually three creeks on Grapevine which hold a ton of sandbass. Walk into these two others, and you can have some fun. There are some trees across the creek in the upper creek referenced, but a kayak could get by it. There are gems, but with the high water, you have to walk thru some heavy brush and get wet to find the "Juice". Water is up, so things are so much different when the level is high. If you want something fun, have someone drop you off at the I-35 bridge, and pick you up at the 377 bridge. But be warned, you may have to drag your kayak up the hill at the 377 bridge if the mud hole is deep. Good luck all, and report anything you find. If it were me, I would fish above the Hole, and not even look below.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15024172 03/22/24 04:37 PM
J
JakeMcD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by prosise
I refer to the steps as the gravel bars that typically stop the water, and create a step where the water level increases upstream. There are the fast moving water over the gravel bars, and there is a deeper pool above them. Right now they are mostly underwater, you would have to go to Henrietta Hole, and above to find these now. Water is really high for this time of the year, and if we get one of those "Belly Washer" April floods we are going to have another year of flushed fish. There are actually three creeks on Grapevine which hold a ton of sandbass. Walk into these two others, and you can have some fun. There are some trees across the creek in the upper creek referenced, but a kayak could get by it. There are gems, but with the high water, you have to walk thru some heavy brush and get wet to find the "Juice". Water is up, so things are so much different when the level is high. If you want something fun, have someone drop you off at the I-35 bridge, and pick you up at the 377 bridge. But be warned, you may have to drag your kayak up the hill at the 377 bridge if the mud hole is deep. Good luck all, and report anything you find. If it were me, I would fish above the Hole, and not even look below.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I see, thanks for explaining! I've fished the creek you show in the first picture by Cross Timbers Trailhead (Whites Branch), and it was an excellent white bass/crappie spot last year. I haven't had the chance to head out there this year.

Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15027460 03/26/24 02:26 AM
C
CK7 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Was at my local creek and found a bunch of what seem to be leeches on the rocks in one of the gravel rip rap shallow spots I like to fish. Does anyone know what they are and if they are harmful? Found a few on 1 fish this year but have caught many limits this year and in years past and have never noticed them.

Attached Files IMG_6788.jpeg
Last edited by CK7; 03/26/24 02:28 AM.
Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15032943 04/01/24 02:09 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Good Long day on the water. I fished from 3am-1030 on Grapevine chasing the Green fish. Came home and then me and my son Mason went up Denton Creek in the Canoe. We went under the 377 bridge and launched the canoe from there. Seriously I would not recommend this to anyone, but my son wanted to try it. It is just too sketchy for me, I usually launch at Trophy Club park and go up in the canoe. I saw a boat on the creek, and the guy had Livescope. He said not much other than Gar are in the deep areas from the 377 bridge to about 1 mile below the Hole. So don't waste your time unless you see running water over rocks. Look at the pictures, and you can see how shallow the water we were standing in was. The small pools above these areas are holding some fish. But it is not really that good of fishing. I am still catching limits of big sandbass on Main Lake. And the Crappie fishing is Amazing down in some of the creeks (The feeder creek of Meadomere was on fire last week).
Years ago I found a pool cleaning pole, and created a lure retriever with it. I have a birds nest of heavy braided cord on the end, and it works well. We removed every lure we saw going up from the 377 Bridge, to above Henrietta Hole. We spot checked several gravel areas, but didn't catch anything until we got above the hole. The first bend from Henrietta Hole, and the next 4 small pools were fun. I was using a tiny-trap made by rat-l-trap. We found 4 of them today, and one was bright yellow. I installed hooks on it, and it was the best lure. The tiny-trap out fished the lead head jig 10 to 1. Me and mason would swap every now and then so it wasn't boring. The bait has to bump the bottom, or your spinning your wheels. It sucks getting hung up, but we had the pole to get the bait if we got snagged. Also caught 3 big spot tail gar in the small pools. A bonus for the day was finding a big group of magnum crappie just up from the hole. See the map below, the area shaded in green has a big group of crappie. They killed the small rat-l-trap, and the jig head got zero bites. Allot of people on the creek, but not much action as the water is high. You have to find some steps, so go above the hole and don't stop. We dragged the canoe up the shallow steps, and had a great time. Saw some big snakes sun bathing, so keep an eye out. Take care all.

Forgot to add. If your waking in, your going to get wet. Banks are very slippery. We were chaco sandals and walk thru the water, and is easy to navigate. The banks above are thick with vines that will cut you to pieces, or break a rod easily. It's just easier with a canoe, out kayak. I have a 2.5hp Suzuki so we don't paddle unless we see fisherman/Fisherwomen. Lastly, shad spawn going on from the 377 bridge up quite a ways today. With the lake being so high, all the usual steps are covered so fishing is tough unless you go way up. I haven't tried the other creeks for sandbass. They are letting out water at 1014cfs and the lake is coming down, so things will change if the water drops another foot or two.

Areas we caught fish.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Green Area is a jackpot of Crappie
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lures Found Today

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 04/01/24 02:43 AM.
Re: Denton Creek 2024 [Re: prosise] #15035900 04/03/24 11:40 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Launched canoe out of TC park, and went up to Henrietta Hole, creek has cleaned out many of the large trees. Creek is stained, and even above the hole going up Denton Creek it's off. I went about 1 mile above the hole, and it sucked. Came back and went up Elizabeth branch and it was cleaner water. Water is shallow in this creek, but I caught fish in the small pools. Fish were small 7"-maybe keepers. Had fun looking around, and the tiny lipless crankbait kicked the lead head jig in the ding ding again. If your fishing either, you have to be making contact with the bottom. If your casting, and simply reeling it back you might as well stay home and cast in the front yard. I got hung up several times, and had to walk out into the water to get my lure un-hung several times in Elizabeth branch. Came back and fished below the hole, and running the bait along the edge of the wall I caught about 8 keepers in about 30 min. Seemed to work better casting down, and reeling it very very slowly up the edge of the current. Water is flowing a bit more than it was on Sunday. Really nice out today. Give it 3-4 days at the least. Even way above the hole on Denton Creek in untouched areas not even the mosquitoes were biting. Lure hunting was good. I will add a map of where I caught fish.
Take care all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 04/03/24 11:45 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide