Print Thread
Sometimes you lose - Lake gives me a beating #14987061 02/12/24 10:17 PM
H
Hirogen Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Friday and Saturday last week we had some of the warmest February weather i can ever remember. Temps pushing 50 for 2 days. Ice on the lake is thick enough that it could take it but what can and did happen is all the snow melt running into the lake raises the level a few inches. When that happens the main lake ice sheet is just a touch too small for the lake. Throw some high winds in there which we had and the ice gets pushed around a bit and fractures here and there creating open water cracks that can happen anywhere.

So forward to Sunday. I knew there was a high probability of open cracks but not really bothered by it - if you stick to daylight running you can typically find a spot narrow enough to jump or skip across the open water. My machine is 11 foot 6 inches long and based on its ability to basically water ski i am comfortable intentionally crossing open water 10 feet wide. I have crossed significantly wider stretches but those were all "unplanned." So got on the ice at 8 am and planned to ride 15 miles out to a hotspot i was intent on fishing. Over the course of 14.5 miles i crossed 3 open cracks - 2 footer, 4 footer and lastly a 10 footer a 1/2 mile short of my destination. Well in order to skip across you need speed and the wider the crack the more speed you need. I hit the last crack doing about 40 miles an hour and zipped across no problem. The problem though was 100 feet past the crack i hit a bump (didn't even see it) and was still carrying decent speed (just over 30 miles an hour) from the puddle jump. Well i was thrown air born and the machine flipped.

I remember coming off the machine and i remember standing up after i came to rest on the ice. Because of the thaw there was no snow to soften my landing - just hard glare ice. Got up and i was about 50 feet from the flipped machine. No idea how much of that 50 was through the air and was what sliding/tumbling or what angle i hit the ice at but it must have been a favorable angle as no broken bones. Of course being the maniac i am i was solo. Walked back to the machine and somehow managed to flip it back over - Machine weighs 746 lbs dry and i had 15 gallons of fuel in the tank plus the track was loaded with slush and ice. I had the key clipped to my jacket so as soon as i launched the machine shutoff. Positive i was functioning on 100% adrenaline the whole time as i don't know how or even really remember how i flipped that machine back over. Lost half the polycarbonate windshield, ripped some body panels loose, smashed the brake fluid reservoir, twisted the hitch and apparently i make some head contact with the ice as my helmet was missing the visor and was pretty banged up.

Got back on the machine and it started and drove - small win. Went to my planned fishing spot and was starting to unpack the toboggan - it actually never flipped and cover stayed on and everything somehow stayed inside. At that moment the adrenaline wore off and the entire left side of my body was like i don't think so. Also started to get mildly nauseous. Well put the cover back on the toboggan and decided to head back. I wasn't sure if the machine was okay to make it and i felt like %^&* so figured better head now with lots of light in case i need help instead of waiting until an hour before dark and ending up stranded 15 miles out in the dark. Had to cross the same 3 cracks on my way out but machine held up and gave the speed i needed for the crossings. Made it back to the cottage just before noon poured myself a double fixed up a bowl of stew and went back to bed.

Between adrenaline and probably a bit of shock didn't take photos of the fiasco until i was back at the cottage. Sometimes mother nature says you lose and Sunday was one of those days. Couple pics after the fact:

The new windshield:

[Linked Image]

The adrenaline/shock half azzed body panel repair job:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hirogen; 02/12/24 10:18 PM.
Re: Sometimes you lose - Lake gives me a beating [Re: Hirogen] #14987216 02/13/24 01:46 AM
P
POPPA Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
sorry for your mishap but you are prolly lucky in the end.

Re: Sometimes you lose - Lake gives me a beating [Re: Hirogen] #14987436 02/13/24 01:04 PM
GTrigg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
coolphotos..Glad you were able to make it home.

Re: Sometimes you lose - Lake gives me a beating [Re: Hirogen] #14987475 02/13/24 01:54 PM
R
romeroxl1200 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
roflmao OMG some funny stuff. Can you keep a straight face telling that story halfway through a bottle around the fire?..

Re: Sometimes you lose - Lake gives me a beating [Re: GTrigg] #14987610 02/13/24 03:28 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by GTrigg
coolphotos..Glad you were able to make it home.

Plus #1. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Sometimes you lose - Lake gives me a beating [Re: Hirogen] #14995485 02/21/24 06:50 PM
CHAMPION FISH Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
I am glad that wasn’t me.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread