Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best Crappie Rods #14970629 01/27/24 11:36 PM
H
Hooked on fishing Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
What are some of the best rods for crappie fishing? Which ones do you recommend? I've been hearing lots of good things about the ACC Crappie Stix.

Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: Hooked on fishing] #14970638 01/27/24 11:51 PM
L
leanin post Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
I like my bucks graphite 10 ft jig pole, pro angler in 8 and 10 foot, my ACC crappie stick in 10 foot, and my old berkley cherrywoods in 6.6. the berkley cherrywoods arent super durable, but very light, sensitive and sometimes the go on sale so cheap its ridiculous..
as far as buying expensive rods, like the ACC, Im sticking with companies that will sell the upper part of the rod seperately ,. for a reasonable price, because that part of the rod is usually what gets broken..

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: Hooked on fishing] #14970702 01/28/24 01:20 AM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
BnM are my favorite. Been around forever for good reason. Sam's Super Sensitive or Diamond series

Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: Hooked on fishing] #14970850 01/28/24 04:31 AM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Hooked on fishingThere are several GOOD brands on the market & everyone will have their favorite & most will give their recommendation based on their trial & error so I would suggest that you do this also .However Just because I like a rod and recommend it doesn`t mean you will like the same rod. I have quite a few crappie rods and have collected them over the years for certain situations of fishing So some see action & some don`t but my favorite is the one i`m using that particular day.JMHO for example: If i`m vertical fishing pylons under a low bridge with a low ceiling a 12ft rod would be a bit much even if I like it just as a 5ft dock shooter would`nt be most effective if I were fishing Standing Timber in a Bois`d arc or Pecan tree orchard. I might want a little more REACH than the 5ft Dock shooter will provide . No golfer goes golfing with just one club in his bag. I guess what i`m trying to say is decide what type of fishing you will be doing primarily then choose your weapon of choice.Try and buy what you can afford and don`t get caught up in the name brand so much because at the end of the day they will all do the same thing from the least expensive to the high dollar choice. LP made an interesting point about ACC & the other companies that sell the upper sections separately which should be considered . Bass Pro will FLAT OUT replace the whole Rod if you bring your receipt.i`m jus sayin coolio

Last edited by Fishbonz; 01/28/24 04:36 AM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: Hooked on fishing] #14970865 01/28/24 07:31 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
I use bass pro microlite in a 7’6” ultralight for 90% of my fishing these days. I can jig or cast with it. I’ve landed everything from crappie on ponds to striper in raging currents on these rods.

Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #14970866 01/28/24 08:10 AM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
I use bass pro microlite in a 7’6” ultralight for 90% of my fishing these days. I can jig or cast with it. I’ve landed everything from crappie on ponds to striper in raging currents on these rods.

Very nice inexpensive rod! I have a couple 6 fters & the 7`6" also. thumb

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: Hooked on fishing] #14971067 01/28/24 03:45 PM
A
ACAMS Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
A
You will need several rods ....

You will need a rod/reel that will cast a light jig loaded with fluorocarbon line so you feel the thump

You will need a rod/reel loaded with mono so you can cast a float and have the line float

You will need a rod/reel that is short for under bridges

You will need a rod/reel that is long for reaching stumps

You will need a rod/reel made just for dock shooting

><\\\(º>___><\\\(º> http://myfolderz.com/Jigs/Jigs.php_<º)///><___<º)///><

Free image uploader for TFF members: http://myfolderz.com/TFF/pics.php
Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: ACAMS] #14971083 01/28/24 03:55 PM
J
JCBfromTHF Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by ACAMS
You will need several rods ....

You will need a rod/reel that will cast a light jig loaded with fluorocarbon line so you feel the thump

You will need a rod/reel loaded with mono so you can cast a float and have the line float

You will need a rod/reel that is short for under bridges

You will need a rod/reel that is long for reaching stumps

You will need a rod/reel made just for dock shooting

^^^^ This is really solid advice here.

The great thing is you dont have to spend a ton of money on all those rods though. People laugh when they see me pick up my little 4'6" Shakespeare Micro Series rod that is laying on the deck of the boat with rods that cost 5 times as much but honestly its my favorite rod. Last year I accidentally caught a 10+ pound (cant remember exact weight) Bass on it while jigging and it held up just fine. They can be had for about $20 at Walmart. I probably own 7 or 8 of them in various lengths and have zero complaints. I dont really hate my more expensive rods, I just like the Micro rods better even though most rod snobs wouldnt even think about using one.

Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: Hooked on fishing] #14971107 01/28/24 04:16 PM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Figure out what your going to do with it and go from there. Stick a bunch in your hand and see what you like. We were buying Jenkos when we were sponsored by another Rod company.

Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: Hooked on fishing] #14971265 01/28/24 07:01 PM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
I have around 50 crappie rods and I between Academy clearance sales and buying used I have not spent more than $30 for a single rod. For me to answer your question I would really need to know how you fish. My only requirement is that has some decent backbone. I think length of rod is the most important factor. When sniping fish with livescope I want a 12ft rod in my hand. If I am shooting docks or fishing a bridge with a low overhang I want a 6 footer in my hand. If i'm dipping brush during the spawn I want a 9 or 10 footer in my hand. Give me 7 footer for fishing timber/brush piles/slip corking. Rods are like tools and the right one based on the job makes life alot easier.

Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: Grainraiser] #14971459 01/28/24 09:44 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Grainraiser
I have around 50 crappie rods and I between Academy clearance sales and buying used I have not spent more than $30 for a single rod. For me to answer your question I would really need to know how you fish. My only requirement is that has some decent backbone. I think length of rod is the most important factor. When sniping fish with livescope I want a 12ft rod in my hand. If I am shooting docks or fishing a bridge with a low overhang I want a 6 footer in my hand. If i'm dipping brush during the spawn I want a 9 or 10 footer in my hand. Give me 7 footer for fishing timber/brush piles/slip corking. Rods are like tools and the right one based on the job makes life alot easier.

[Linked Image]

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: Fishbonz] #14971956 01/29/24 03:38 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted by Fishbonz
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Very nice inexpensive rod! I have a couple 6 fters & the 7`6" also. thumb

I’ve caught 1000s of fish (possibly 10s of thousands) on the one I have right now. I used to keep a 6’6 one on hand. I’ve gotten to where I much prefer the 7’6 just because I can keep the drag up off the water better when fishing moving water and I get a lot more casting distance. I do have a couple of the 9’6” ones for a few special applications where I need to get some really long casts while still using light line and light tackle. They’re really good rods that cast well. I don’t really mess with the wading or dipping with long rods anymore so these fit all my needs.

Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: Hooked on fishing] #14972232 01/29/24 03:09 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Most of my rods are Pro Angler. a bunch of 8 ft and a couple 12 ft, I have not got used to fishing the 12 yet.

I spent big bucks on a G-rod a few years back, It is a good rod , but I don't like it any better than my Pro-angler.
I bought a bonehead the other day , have not fished it much , but I think I like it, It is a 10 ft , I like it better than my 12 ft allready.

Mo

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: JCBfromTHF] #14972257 01/29/24 03:26 PM
A
ACAMS Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
A
Originally Posted by JCBfromTHF

The great thing is you dont have to spend a ton of money on all those rods though. People laugh when they see me pick up my little 4'6" Shakespeare Micro Series rod that is laying on the deck of the boat with rods that cost 5 times as much but honestly its my favorite rod. Last year I accidentally caught a 10+ pound (cant remember exact weight) Bass on it while jigging and it held up just fine. They can be had for about $20 at Walmart. I probably own 7 or 8 of them in various lengths and have zero complaints. I dont really hate my more expensive rods, I just like the Micro rods better even though most rod snobs wouldnt even think about using one.

I have a couple of those myself ..... I was VERY, VERY surprised at a Shakespeare rod at Walmart ..... it was 6' +? spinning rod, and SUPER light ..... I looked to see if they made a casting rod like it and I don't think they even make one .... I have several spinning rods so I didn't buy it!

I think it may have been this 7' rod here .... SUPER light .. as light as the Falcon EVO.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespe...Rod-7-Feet-Light/2513672698?from=/search

><\\\(º>___><\\\(º> http://myfolderz.com/Jigs/Jigs.php_<º)///><___<º)///><

Free image uploader for TFF members: http://myfolderz.com/TFF/pics.php
Re: Best Crappie Rods [Re: ACAMS] #14972325 01/29/24 04:14 PM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted by ACAMS
Originally Posted by JCBfromTHF

I have a couple of those myself ..... I was VERY, VERY surprised at a Shakespeare rod at Walmart ..... it was 6' +? spinning rod, and SUPER light ..... I looked to see if they made a casting rod like it and I don't think they even make one .... I have several spinning rods so I didn't buy it!

I think it may have been this 7' rod here .... SUPER light .. as light as the Falcon EVO.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespe...Rod-7-Feet-Light/2513672698?from=/search

I have two of those rods in the 9ft UL spinning models. I got them on clearance from Walmart for $7. They are great bluegill rods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide