Page 1 of 2 1 2
what has been your go to bait this winter #14939950 12/28/23 05:31 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
we have been have decent success on the constant pursuit thump chubby in dirty deed or timber rattler and the time tested and true slab bandit in texas toast. or pink and white medium size.. lake side tackle is the only place I can find the thump chubbies right now.. spoke to a gentleman and was informed that Mr Palmers family is looking for someone to continue making the baits.. Hope someone picks up the torch, and keeps making them, because they are some of the best crappie baits ever made.. in springtime, the little stump jumper frogs are all I use now..
when the crappie are super picky, that short . fat profile of the thump chubby looks like a pregnant minnow I think, is why they will hit it , when hardly nothing else will work.. you have to use the right hook with them, it has to be a short shank, wide gap hook, due to the thickness of the body, but short length.. lake side tackle has a variety box of the most popular chubbies in a box for sale,. its around 100 chubbies, and 10 jigheads for sale. 25 bucks plus shipping... . if youve never tried the chubbies, check them out... one would think the crappie would want large two and 3/4 or 3 inch baits right now exclusively, but that definitely hasnt been the case in the lakes ive been fishing..

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: leanin post] #14940790 12/29/23 06:47 PM
S
SimilarWeather Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I've been alternating between 1.5 inch "panfish minnow" and the 2 inch crappie thumper. Both sold by a company called "big bite baits". I found them here in Louisiana in a tackle shop called honey hole and have been ordering them direct from the company ever since.

Usually pair both of those up with a short shank 1/16oz unpainted jighead.

LP - Those thump chubbies you mentioned look VERY similar to the small panfish minnow I've been using a lot with those small tails. Will be ordering me some of those to try out!

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: leanin post] #14940971 12/29/23 10:24 PM
E
Eric Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
E
Bone head has chubbies for clearance price of $5 per 15 so if you can get 100 for $25 plus 10 jig heads it will be a great deal. I paid $6 per 15 last time I bought some

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: Eric] #14941023 12/29/23 11:40 PM
S
Sonnyc Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Originally Posted by Eric
Bone head has chubbies for clearance price of $5 per 15 so if you can get 100 for $25 plus 10 jig heads it will be a great deal. I paid $6 per 15 last time I bought some

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: leanin post] #14941025 12/29/23 11:43 PM
S
Sonnyc Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
I've been killing the crappie on Cedar Creek Reservoir, Texas on crappie magnet black/chartreuse tipped with a minnow. Been under the bridge btween Seven Points and Gunbarrel City. Going again on Sunday.

Last edited by Sonnyc; 12/30/23 12:01 AM. Reason: Wrong name of jig
Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: Sonnyc] #14941084 12/30/23 12:37 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Sonnyc
Originally Posted by Eric

and you get the box ..

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: SimilarWeather] #14941095 12/30/23 01:00 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by SimilarWeather
I've been alternating between 1.5 inch "panfish minnow" and the 2 inch crappie thumper. Both sold by a company called "big bite baits". I found them here in Louisiana in a tackle shop called honey hole and have been ordering them direct from the company ever since.

Usually pair both of those up with a short shank 1/16oz unpainted jighead.

LP - Those thump chubbies you mentioned look VERY similar to the small panfish minnow I've been using a lot with those small tails. Will be ordering me some of those to try out!

you may want to pick up some stump jumpers too,, they work all year long, and are small profile as well...with a light jighead, its a great finesse presentation. the little legs flutter in the water and slow it down.
its something different too. something they may not see often...
theres also another company that makes the little frogs, they are slightly larger, (not much),. and work well too.,. not near as durable though, and a limited color selection...

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: leanin post] #14941427 12/30/23 02:46 PM
J
Jezreel Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
I ordered a box. Can’t wait to get them in and give’em a try.

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: Jezreel] #14942448 12/31/23 04:59 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Jezreel
I ordered a box. Can’t wait to get them in and give’em a try.

let me know if they are liking them on cedar creek , small profile baits seem to be whats working right now for some reason in many areas .
it is pretty common knowledge that shad can spawn at least twice a year, and sometimes 3.
what im seeing on my sonar here in central texas is either schools of very large shad, or very small.. the very small size tend to be sitting near or on the bottom, or very close to cover and structure.. the schools of larger shad seem to be more transient and higher in the water column.. the crappie ive cleaned recently dont have large shad in thier stomach... all partially digested smaller shad... or empty stomachs... dont know if the crappie find it easier to just snack on the smaller baitfish rather than try and chase down the larger ones or what. 25 to 35 feet seems to be where the crappie want to be in my area right now. they might be in 35 feet but seems to suspend around the 25 foot depth.. one of the challenges were having right now is getting a small profile bait, down that deep, while fighting the wind to try and target fish that are sitting very tight to the cover.. im going to experiment with a 1/2 oz barrel sinker, above a small swivel, then tie on a mono leader under it, to try and get the jig down alot faster.. in the wind the multiple splitshots a foot above the jig seem to get tangles up too much.. when its going down. the jig wants to wrap around the splitshot sinkers and tangle.. winter fishing sometimes requires alot of little adjustments that can make all the difference and im trying different things to optimize my chances.

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: leanin post] #14942576 12/31/23 07:08 PM
shut-up-and-fish Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

G-Daddy Baits
1.5" Hybrid Bow's Favorite

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: leanin post] #14943207 01/01/24 05:05 PM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: gar1970] #14943685 01/02/24 03:27 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by gar1970

very interesting jigs..!!

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: leanin post] #14943792 01/02/24 07:47 AM
E
Esnow74 Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Brush glider and finesse minnow profiles have been working for me, along with Texas Toast slab bandit (which has become a must have).

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: leanin post] #14943921 01/02/24 02:58 PM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
1/8oz slab syndicate in popcicle. thumb

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: Esnow74] #14943927 01/02/24 03:06 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Esnow74
Brush glider and finesse minnow profiles have been working for me, along with Texas Toast slab bandit (which has become a must have).

who would have ever thought that the colors of the texas toast slab bandit would be such a great color.. the texas toast slab bandit and the black and chartruese rocky tops have produced the biggest fish for me over the years..
nobody had that color combo before crazy angler made it..

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: leanin post] #14943967 01/02/24 03:57 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Brush Gliders by bonehead , in white/Chartreuse / black/chartreuse and Blue grass.

I will have to try Texas Toast ,, I usually think of that color as a summer color.

Mo

Last edited by Mo; 01/02/24 03:58 PM.

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: leanin post] #14944189 01/02/24 10:29 PM
J
Jezreel Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
Originally Posted by leanin post

who would have ever thought that the colors of the texas toast slab bandit would be such a great color.. the texas toast slab bandit and the black and chartruese rocky tops have produced the biggest fish for me over the years..

I Love me some Texas Toast Slab Bandits. I gotta reorder some of those.

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: Jezreel] #14944606 01/03/24 03:29 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
have you ever tried rocky top jigs?

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: Jezreel] #14944708 01/03/24 05:30 PM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F

I Love me some Texas Toast Slab Bandits. I gotta reorder some of those.

I got a designated tackle box of Slab bandits ninja

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: leanin post] #14944911 01/03/24 11:24 PM
J
Jezreel Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J

Tried looking them up, but couldn’t find them. Found their Facebook page, but no online store.

Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: Jezreel] #14944948 01/04/24 12:12 AM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F

Tried looking them up, but couldn’t find them. Found their Facebook page, but no online store.

Rocky Tops are VERY tuff Jigs if my memory serves me correctly.You just can`t tear them up!

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: what has been your go to bait this winter [Re: Fishbonz] #14944953 01/04/24 12:20 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Fishbonz

Rocky Tops are VERY tuff Jigs if my memory serves me correctly.You just can`t tear them up!

Originally Posted by Fishbonz

YES, but not many folks sell them anymore that I know of.. Ed with Pro Angler tackle used to have a few.
I was able to get in contact with the lady who makes them a while back, and stocked up. I also had her saturate the colors to the max.. they almost glow in the dark..shes uses flourescent dyes, and they really pop.. the only thing though you cant store them in direct sunlight because they fade very fast. The woman who makes them just does it part time, if she feels like it, so I got plenty while the gittin was good... still have her contact info somewhere.
ive had rocky tops last so long, they knocked they shine off of it.,., but it was still working..ha

Last edited by leanin post; 01/04/24 12:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide