texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Fighting bigger fish in a kayak #12939679 10/20/18 02:43 PM
C
Clay34 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
I've been kayak fishing for a couple of years and feel like I have a good experience level with most fish. Yesterday, I had my eyes opened.

I'm fishing a shoreline with lots of fall downs in the water. I hit a nice fish with a new rod and reel outfit, set the hook and nothing seems to be working when I look down and the drag is just ripping out line. I tighten down the drag system and the fish is puling me and the boat right into the bank with overhanging branches. My paddle is across my lap and I get a repositioning one handed stroke or two in before the boat pivots and the fish is behind me.

In a regular bass boat you just turn the chair and fight the fish or you are standing and you just face the fish and continue the fight. In my kayak I raise the rod tip, the fish goes behind my back and comes out on the other side of the boat. I have my net staged on the bow, so the net came to my hand nicely and I netted the fish.

It's funny how you remember these intense few seconds. I remember saying to myself that if I had a new pedal kayak, I could back up into deeper water and fight the fish there away from the overhangs. There were so many things that could have went wrong. Much of it was luck, and the pieces fell into place in the middle of craziness. I just keep replaying the few seconds in my mind and wonder what I could have done differently.

Bottom line the fish came to hand, BUT it wasn't smooth or pretty and it was a little bit of terror and pandemonium. Maybe these completely out of control moments are the reason that I continue to fish???

Looking for your thoughts on fighting bigger fish close to falldowns and boat positioning.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: Clay34] #12939805 10/20/18 05:57 PM
J
Jaybonnett Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Ive always wondered what its going to be like when I hook a bigun and now I have a better idea. But, the question I was asking myself while reading the post.....what kind of fish and did you get a picture!?

Keep doin what youre doin, youll keep gettin what youre gettin.
Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: Clay34] #12940031 10/20/18 11:50 PM
C
Clay34 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Can't figure out how to post a picture here. Can I do an upload here or do I have to use a third party hoisting site?

Did some research and while I have a photo and did post on another board, I dont have a third party hoisting site.

While I could pm you the other website, I wouldn't post a link to another forum on this site. I think that would be in bad form.

Last edited by Clay34; 10/21/18 02:50 AM.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: Clay34] #12940190 10/21/18 02:44 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You have to reel similar to if you were fishing in heavy weeds or grass, trying to get the fishes head up and headed toward the boat.
Not always possible with a kayak as you get pulled around, but keep the rod tip facing more toward the bow of the boat and try to not fight the fish straight out from the port or starboard sides.
If the line suddenly breaks, or the fish throws the hook, you may go over and end up in the water.
Keep that in mind if the fish is big enough to pull you around.

Just one more cast!

Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: Clay34] #12940251 10/21/18 03:33 AM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Without reverse its going to get very busy and chaotic at times and youll probably get pulled into the pucker brush now and then. The good news is a lot of times big fish will head to deeper water.

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: Clay34] #12940436 10/21/18 01:58 PM
C
Clay34 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Jimbo, thanks for the technique ideas. While I can't post a picture it wasn't a monster by TX standards, it was a 22" largemouth on the fall bite here in Wis. Nice fish for me and my location, not like catching tuna out of a kayak.

It was a pretty sheer wall going into the lake with fall downs into the water. The water was very clear and the fish came from the deep end of the lake and hit the bait and went toward shore and the fall downs. At first my drag was set too light and I had no control after the initial hook set. Once the drag was set better, The fish towed me and my little 12' boat with my rod tip straight off of the bow. That's when I came so close to the shore and the fall downs that I had to reposition with the paddle and try to fight the fish.

When the fish went behind me and I couldn't face the fish to fight it, that's when all fish fighting skill sets went to blazes and I felt totally out of control.

I really do like the idea of keeping the bigger fish off of the bow of the boat with the rod tip vs fighting them off of the side of the boat. Some smaller boats with very large fish could just tip you in if you didn't have a wide platform for stability. I have been watching guys fight tuna out of a kayak this morning on YouTube and like you said, the rod is off of the bow as these monsters pull the angler and the boats around off shore. I could also see this useful for fighting large catfish out of a kayak. Thanks again for the tip.

Pelican, the deeper water comment is what happened. After the fish went behind the boat it did not get into the brush, but came around the boat and headed toward deeper water - thankfully. I just didn't feel like I controlled that situation, I just got lucky that the fish didn't want in the brush and headed toward deeper water.

Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: Clay34] #12940526 10/21/18 03:55 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Things that help from a kayak because you have much less leverage
use stronger powered rods than you would fishing from shore or a boat
braid mainline to leader or straight braid
when possible, position yourself down current/down wind
reverse is nice
minimize anchoring; if you have to and can; use a clamp above the water instead of a pole or line in the water

[Linked Image]
Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: Clay34] #12941415 10/22/18 05:26 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
For me, it depends on what I'm using. If I hook up using heavy rod, 20 lb test and strong hooks I'm going to try and use rod tip to get kayak perpendicular to fish (creating more drag) and never stop reeling until it either comes to the surface and coming my way or it wraps me in which case I'll use rod to get bow pointed directly at fish to reel myself to it as quickly as possible. Using lighter gear I want to reduce kayaks drag so I'm going to immediately get bow and kayak headed straight to fish in hopes it doesn't pop me off on wood. Creating drag with kayak fishing salt water for tarpon helps a lot. Once fought a 100+ lb tarpon for over three hours and was dragged 6 miles on 15 lb test and 30 lb leader with bass rod.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: CCTX] #12941810 10/22/18 04:54 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Things that help from a kayak because you have much less leverage
use stronger powered rods than you would fishing from shore or a boat
braid mainline to leader or straight braid
when possible, position yourself down current/down wind
reverse is nice
minimize anchoring; if you have to and can; use a clamp above the water instead of a pole or line in the water

Good stuff.

I'd only differ a bit on strongly powered rod usage. I agree with the Tactical Bassin boys that one generally needs a step lower in power, at least in most cases. The argument generally goes that since it takes so little for a nice sized fish to actually move a kayak (less anchored in a place), that if your rod is too stiff, it won't flex enough to "pin" a fish well . . . as the kayak moves to the fish. Few things are worse for landing bass than having a rod straighten out. I like a really good bend in my rods.

Too, not all of your bass will be that large so a heavier rod is not going to load up well for these.

But, if you have reverse and can back pedal away from the pull, it certainly means standard powers work just fine.

Brad

Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: pelican] #12953357 11/02/18 03:33 PM
Robbie Milam Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: pelican
The good news is a lot of times big fish will head to deeper water.

This ^^^

If you want to see what a big fish feels like, go offshore in a kayak. grin Always fun trolling for Kingfish and one sails out of the water about 20 feet in the air with your bait in it's mouth. You just have to hang on and take a ride for a while. banana

Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: Clay34] #12973412 11/22/18 08:53 PM
D
dfwexile Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Its easier fighting big fish in a kayak. Because they can pull you around easily and you dont snap your line as much . But I have had a big bass try to pull me into an underwater cave and the line snapped. Thats when I wish I had a pedal kayak so I could back up with my hands free.

Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: dfwexile] #12974865 11/24/18 04:46 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by dfwexile
Its easier fighting big fish in a kayak. Because they can pull you around easily and you dont snap your line as much . But I have had a big bass try to pull me into an underwater cave and the line snapped. Thats when I wish I had a pedal kayak so I could back up with my hands free.

Bruh a bass tried to pull you into an underwater cave?

Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #12975258 11/25/18 04:15 AM
D
dfwexile Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Originally Posted by dfwexile

Bruh a bass tried to pull you into an underwater cave?

Yeah Bruh . Well he tried. I just crashed into the cliff wall .

Last edited by dfwexile; 11/25/18 04:18 AM.
Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: Clay34] #12979732 11/29/18 08:50 PM
S
spazm09 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
This is easy. Just start targeting smaller fish like bluegill. Problem solved. lol jk

I usually anchor up cause I'm a catfisherman so I don't ever have this problem. I'm just bored at work with 40 minutes to go.

Carry on.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fighting bigger fish in a kayak [Re: Clay34] #12980633 11/30/18 10:59 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Its sort of case by case for me, but in general I try to steer them away from trouble before trouble happens and if the fish does get into a bind, I go to them. I try to anticipate a situation and then be ready to respond, Once, I was fishing near a pier and thought if I get a good fish here, the fish will likely head under the dock. Before making the cast, I got as close as I dared and set up the craft in a way that I could quickly get to the dock (bow pointing to pier, slight momentum towards pier). Sure enough, a nice bass, turned out to be 6.5 pounds, went directly under the dock, but I was able to react quickly and get it out before it got too wrapped up.

So the main thing is to try to reason out what might occur and have a plan. Assess what the potential trouble spots are and then try to predict what a fish might do. Sometimes, a little extra pressure on a big fish at the right moment can turn its head just enough to make the difference between losing it or bringing it to hand.

But in a kayak, its inevitable that a fish will dive under the kayak or go around the craft. I really like a fiberglass rod in these situations as they will bend almost in a circle without breaking. You might need a graphite rod for sensitivity, but if you dont, glass is really nice on bigger, rod busting type of fish. Ive seen plenty of videos of graphite rods snapping when the fish dives under the kayak and goes out the other side.

Seems like every big fish Ive brought to hand in the kayak have had some hairy and oh s#*t moments. Theres almost always Oyster shell, fall downs, rip rap, piers or something to contend with. I think its part of the fun being in cluttered water and trying to pull out the big one with danger at every turn. Ive never enjoyed fishing open water, featureless water nearly as much fishing around difficult structure.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide