Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. #12923750 10/05/18 07:07 PM
V-Bottom Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Seeing how I will never purchase a new trk, too old-too poor, I have been replacing needed parts to my 04'F150. Stuff like Monroe Load Leveling rear shocks, front struts,oil and filter, serpentine belt,w/s wipers etc. Next is the transmission fluid and filter. I picked up the filter kit yesterday. The last time I had the tranny stuff chg'd was when the trk had 50K ish miles on it. It now has 122,000 miles. Time to change IMO. Have you had your fluid and filter chg'd lately? For those of you that have an Old trk.....!! I bought my filter kit at Advanced Auto Parts in Tx City. If you look online, you can get a 25% discount (with purchase code applied). I didn't order it online, I just took a pic of the ad and showed the clerk.It cost me a hair under $20, Reg $25 and chg.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: V-Bottom] #12923786 10/05/18 07:49 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I have never changed the fluid in an automatic transmission except during a rebuild. I do change the filter and top off what drains from the pan every 75,000 miles. Never any additives.

I always add an additional transmission cooler to every vehicle I buy.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: ChuChu1] #12923876 10/05/18 09:09 PM
V-Bottom Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
I have never changed the fluid in an automatic transmission except during a rebuild. I do change the filter and top off what drains from the pan every 75,000 miles. Never any additives.

That cooler will be my Last addition I hope !! I acquired a 23.4" travel Trailer from my X. I've been informed I may need that.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: V-Bottom] #12923903 10/05/18 09:40 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
I consider dropping the pan and changing the filter and topping of changing the fluid.

Get your trans fluid from Walmart, cheapest place to buy oil gear lube etc.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: redchevy] #12924063 10/06/18 12:37 AM
V-Bottom Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I consider dropping the pan and changing the filter and topping of changing the fluid.

Get your trans fluid from Walmart, cheapest place to buy oil gear lube etc.

"and topping of changing the fluid".......??????

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: V-Bottom] #12924216 10/06/18 04:56 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
The pan probably holds 4-6 quarts changed periodically it changes a large enough percentage of the fluid.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: V-Bottom] #12924302 10/06/18 12:27 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: V-Bottom

That cooler will be my Last addition I hope !! I acquired a 23.4" travel Trailer from my X. I've been informed I may need that.

I lived in a 26 foot for a while. It works for one person, but not good for two.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: ChuChu1] #12924445 10/06/18 04:08 PM
V-Bottom Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity

I lived in a 26 foot for a while. It works for one person, but not good for two.

What does your living in a 26 footer have to do with the above subject?

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: V-Bottom] #12924637 10/06/18 06:46 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C

What does your living in a 26 footer have to do with the above subject?

What does you acquiring a 23.4" travel Trailer from your X have to do with the subject?

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: V-Bottom] #12932877 10/14/18 01:29 PM
Diesel Doctor Offline
Angler
Angler
Transmissions are $1,700-$2,700 exchange. Fluid and filters are cheap.

I have worked for a Major transmission distributor for 40 years. Temperature will kill them!!!!!

A good additional aftermarket air to oil cooler, and synthetic oil is your best bet. This oil will drop operating temps 10-25 degrees based on load.It's worth the money.

Service intervals should be in your owners manual. I would not exceed 50-75K per change if you tow.

Be Safe

Happy towing

Eric
1998 Cobra DC 201
225 Merc EFI
HDS 12 and 9 Linked / Airman with Fish reveal
PP Pro II's
Ulterra 112
9.14 PB

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: V-Bottom] #12932999 10/14/18 04:49 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Seeing how I will never purchase a new trk, too old-too poor, I have been replacing needed parts to my 04'F150. Stuff like Monroe Load Leveling rear shocks, front struts,oil and filter, serpentine belt,w/s wipers etc. Next is the transmission fluid and filter. I picked up the filter kit yesterday. The last time I had the tranny stuff chg'd was when the trk had 50K ish miles on it. It now has 122,000 miles. Time to change IMO. Have you had your fluid and filter chg'd lately? For those of you that have an Old trk.....!! I bought my filter kit at Advanced Auto Parts in Tx City. If you look online, you can get a 25% discount (with purchase code applied). I didn't order it online, I just took a pic of the ad and showed the clerk.It cost me a hair under $20, Reg $25 and chg.

I WOULD NEVER change the trans fluid period, trans fluid is one of those things that seems to become mated to the trans, it seems like people change their trans fluid and boom the trans goes out very soon after.

It is a CLOSED system like your power steering system and you DONT change the ps...

I worked in a few auto related places over the years and this is my honest opinion and its the same opinion you will get from transmission shops who arent trying to sell you something or hoping to get your trans rebuild job down the road.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: Diesel Doctor] #12933639 10/15/18 04:11 AM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Diesel Doctor

I have worked for a Major transmission distributor for 40 years. Temperature will kill them!!!!!

A good additional aftermarket air to oil cooler, and synthetic oil is your best bet. This oil will drop operating temps 10-25 degrees based on load.It's worth the money.

Service intervals should be in your owners manual. I would not exceed 50-75K per change if you tow.

Be Safe

Happy towing

Considering your user name and your experience with transmissions, what is your honest opinion on the Allison 1000 bolted behind the Duramax?

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #12933901 10/15/18 03:05 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

I WOULD NEVER change the trans fluid period, trans fluid is one of those things that seems to become mated to the trans, it seems like people change their trans fluid and boom the trans goes out very soon after.

It is a CLOSED system like your power steering system and you DONT change the ps...

I worked in a few auto related places over the years and this is my honest opinion and its the same opinion you will get from transmission shops who arent trying to sell you something or hoping to get your trans rebuild job down the road.

Straight BS!

Yes if you neglect it too long then no changing it wont do a thing. Stick to the maintenance schedule and it will prolong the life of the transmission.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: dk2429] #12933905 10/15/18 03:08 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: dk2429
Originally Posted By: Diesel Doctor

Be Safe

Happy towing

Considering your user name and your experience with transmissions, what is your honest opinion on the Allison 1000 bolted behind the Duramax?

Got two of them well over 200k miles. Pulled 18,000 lbs with one not long ago shifts and runs like new... the transmission has been serviced every 75-100k miles. It is easy to service the Alison they have a drain plug, however there is 2 filters, one internal and one spin on external. I think they are great transmissions.

I would say like anything else if your going to modify your engine/programming to make more power you need to do the same with your transmission or your living on the edge or borrowed time.

Re: Tranny Fluid and Filter Chg. [Re: redchevy] #12933959 10/15/18 03:43 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Straight BS!

Yes if you neglect it too long then no changing it wont do a thing. Stick to the maintenance schedule and it will prolong the life of the transmission.
This^^^

We do 4-6 trans services a day and I can't remember when one ever came back that wasn't already messed up and they thought a service would fix it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide