Forums59
Topics1,039,595
Posts13,967,243
Members144,208
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. #12914861 09/28/18 02:12 AM
SLABXPRESS Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
For those of you that don't know me, my name is Eric Walker and I fished a lot with Matthew Carroll (aka JigUm). Those of you that knew Matthew also know he would be quick to point out that we won the CAT State Championship on Cedar Creek in 2015. So on his behalf, I'll menion again...we won the 2015 CAT State Championship. roflmao
All joking aside, he was extremely proud of that win, as was I. thumb

Anyway.... Let's get to the story....within a story.

It was a beautiful fall day in 2011, and Matthew and I were enjoying shooting some docks and shooting the breeze with some great conversation. Which, if you knew Matthew was ALWAYS part of any fishing trip. Somehow the conversation found it's way to Matthew's basketball days. I'm 5'6" if you really stretch me out, so I'm not much of a basketball guy. grin
I was a HS coach for over 20 years though, so I could appreciate what Matthew accomplished in his younger days. We talked about how the game has changed, etc., etc. Then I switched things up to tell me best "basketball" story. So here's my story within a story:

My family was enjoying the 4th of July Celebration earlier that same year on Cedar Creek with friends. Most of that weekend was typical, a little fishing with the kids, tubing, boat rides on the pontoon, etc. For those of you that don't know, CC hold a HUGE 4th of July event each year (at least they used to). We set out late the afternoon of the 4th to get a good spot among the hundreds of boats anchored out on the main lake. We enjoyed the air show, the fireworks, and maybe a few "refreshments" before slowing heading back down the lake for the evening. wink On the way in, we noticed some music coming from somewhere over by the spillway. Earlier in the day we had seen a party at one of the nice places on the lake that was complete with a full band out on the back porch. We just figured it must be something similar. So we turn the pontoon in the direction of the music and head toward the party. As we get closer, we realize that this is a BIG party and the band (whoever they are) are the real deal. We decided that we would anchor just far enough away that we weren't visible in the lights from the party, and enjoy the music...and a few more "refreshments". grin At some point we decided that we should get a bit closer, so we pulled the anchor, eased forward and reset it. I think we eventually did that two more times. coolio
Then the band quit playing, and our group let out a sad "awww". As the band, which was set up out ON the pier, started to put their instruments away and end their set we noticed that some other actions was starting to happen. Now keep in mind, we had been wondering who might own this great big house and would be hosting such a huge party. About that time a PA system took over and a bunch of big ol fat guys started dancing to some recorded music. I made the comment that those guys look like the ones that dance at the Maverick games. My buddy, whose place was on the lake, excitedly jumped in and said "Hey! I've heard Donnie Nelson has a place on CC!" OMG
Well, you remember those "refreshments" I mentioned? Yea, they emboldened us a bit and we picked up the anchor one more time. This time we stoped when we were close enough to stand up and wade. We sent our beautiful wives first, assuming they would be less likely to get kicked out of the party. The problem was, after 10-15 minutes they hadn't come back. A couple more of us went and this time we took a cell phone. Everyone at the party had "partaken in refreshments" as well. clap So yea, we got to spend the next hour or so with Donnie, his mom (who was a hilarious old gal dressed to the 9s!), and a hundred other people we didn't know. The big boys on the pier WERE the Mavericks dancers, and the band? Well, that was Lukas Nelson and his band. If you don't know, Lukas is one of Willie's very talented and musically successful sons. Apparently Donnie celebrates the 4th of July every year, but it was even bigger due to their Championship won just weeks earlier. So that's my story, and it's about the best one I've got related to basketball.

Now back to the other story. I told that Maverick's party story to Matthew that day, and although he didn't support the drinking he did appreciate the humor in it. We go on about our day, take a limit home to clean, and go our separate ways for a while. Then about 3 weeks late I get a package in the mail from Matthew. In it was this package of The Absolute Finest Hand Tied Crappie Jigs. JIGUM truly did make the best jigs. These custom, one of kind, Maverick's Championship will always be a reminder for me of what a great jig maker and all around great person Matthew Carroll was.

Last edited by SLABXPRESS; 09/28/18 02:40 AM.

Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12914886 09/28/18 02:35 AM
K
Keystone Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
Nice story,several years ago we were in the boat in Paradise Bay when Daddy Don Nelson came cruising by shirtless with man breasts and a Bud Light in his hand,he had a bullhorn and was saying howdy to everyone in view,Used to see Donnie a few times at the Brookshires ,Mr.Cool with his shades on,

Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12914946 09/28/18 03:31 AM
Glenn54 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Congrats on the win.

Good story and tribute to your friend. Glad ya'll had a good time. I agree with Mathew's opinion on no alcohol though. Be safe.

Glenn
Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12915004 09/28/18 10:11 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Lifetime Memories! It just don't get any better! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12915096 09/28/18 12:40 PM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Yes Eric! Matthew was a SPECIAL one of a kind person & what a Great Fishing Story thumb

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12915102 09/28/18 12:48 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Great story Eric. Thank you for sharing. We lost a good one with Matt.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12915108 09/28/18 12:57 PM
C
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Great story man. Jigum was one of the best friends i've ever had.

2 Bedroom Lake house on CC for rent. P.M. me!
Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12915527 09/28/18 06:07 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Thank you sir. Excellent story for an excellent man.

Matthew lives amongst us forever.

Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12916545 09/29/18 05:03 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
we should do a tourney in his honor, maybe donate the money to something he would appreciate. I recall when I had a charity tourney for a guy who was murdered in ft worth., matt showed up, didnt even know me really and supported it, because that was just him. good dude. genuine. a man of character, morals, a constitution standing on the laws of God.
we went fish with him and he opened his home for us, showed us how to tie jigs, took us fishing. I will never forget "the big RED DOCK".. We caught alot of fish and it was amazing to watch that man shoot docks. he would use the spider webs to shoot over and make the jigs hang there a bit, or he could make the jigs skip across the water. Matt was a great fisherman and very humble.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12916610 09/29/18 05:57 PM
C
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
I'm in. We really need to do this. Oh and I showed him Red Dock. thumb

Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #12917302 09/30/18 03:47 AM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
I'm in. We really need to do this. Oh and I showed him Red Dock. thumb

we hammered them there!!

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #12918083 09/30/18 09:34 PM
SLABXPRESS Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

David, what are your thoughts on a possible tourney in Matthew's honor?

Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12918106 09/30/18 09:56 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Originally Posted By: SLABXPRESS
Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

David, what are your thoughts on a possible tourney in Matthew's honor?

I have not put any thought on a tourney in Matthews honor. If I had to, I would have to say something annual, Mr. Crappie and on Cedar Creek Lake. He was proud to be a part of the Mr. Crappie Pro Team and loved Cedar Creek.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12918605 10/01/18 01:28 PM
C
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
I'll help in any way I can to put this together. But FYI I have zero experience.

Re: Remembering JIGUM with a good story...within a story. [Re: SLABXPRESS] #12918772 10/01/18 03:49 PM
C
cellis Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Great story Eric. Thanks for sharing it.

Pretty good idea about a tournament, too, lp. thumb

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide