Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Packbait/Method Mix Thread #12914875 09/28/18 02:26 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Post up your favorite packbaits/method mixes! I'll be adding to this thread every time I make a different one so stay tuned.

Tomorrow's mix: Grits base with hemp seed, cream corn & karo syrup as binders with Monster energy drink and CarpPro #3 flavoring.

(this is the "before" image. I'll post the "after" image tomorrow morning when I actually mix it all together)

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12914956 09/28/18 03:40 AM
T
Tommar Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Putting this thread in my watched list.

US Army and TXARNG 1984-2014
Gulf War 90-91
Iraq 2004-05
A'stan 2009
VFW Post Commander 2013-15
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: Tommar] #12914979 09/28/18 04:23 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Tommar
Putting this thread in my watched list.

Hopefully we get some contributors! I know there's not a terrible amount of people posting here nowadays but we may get lucky. As often I fish I'll be posting quite a few!

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12915035 09/28/18 11:33 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T

Packs like a dream, and breaks down quickly to boot!

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12915151 09/28/18 01:44 PM
Caribou Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Ive had great luck with panko, whole kernel corn (almost no juice) and chili powder.

Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12916094 09/29/18 02:26 AM
T
Tommar Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Everything Ive tried making ends up more like a doughball and doesnt break down like it should.

Id love to get a good recipe with mixing amounts and instructions. Falcon Lake went up and the carp are in the shallow flooded grass. Ive caught several but I can't throw my canned corn far to chum the area good. My biggest was 5#6 but Ive seen tails out farther that were 8-9 tall!

US Army and TXARNG 1984-2014
Gulf War 90-91
Iraq 2004-05
A'stan 2009
VFW Post Commander 2013-15
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: Tommar] #12916104 09/29/18 02:31 AM
Caribou Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Everything Ive tried making ends up more like a doughball and doesnt break down like it should.

Id love to get a good recipe with mixing amounts and instructions. Falcon Lake went up and the carp are in the shallow flooded grass. Ive caught several but I can't throw my canned corn far to chum the area good. My biggest was 5#6 but Ive seen tails out farther that were 8-9 tall!

Tried and true method is a bucket of old fashioned oats, a can of cream corn and a can of whole kernel corn, no juice. Add whatever flavoring you like.

Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: Tommar] #12916166 09/29/18 03:27 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T

The secret to a perfect pack is to get it just wet enough so that you can mold it to any shape but just dry enough to where after molding it you can roll it around it your hands and it will return to its original state. Just like chumming, when adding liquid/binder to pack you can only add, not remove. Go a little bit at a time and give it some time to absorb as well. What may feel not wet enough could actually absorb enough moisture if you let it sit for 15-30min or so. Once you get the feel for it you can experiment and go crazy. Personally I prefer not to use an exact recipe as I feel it's too limiting.

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12916282 09/29/18 12:42 PM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I tend to use the same pack bait all the time and diversify as needed. The basic ingredient ratio is 4 cups of soybean meal to 1 cup of cream corn. From there I'll add a variety of things simply based on mood.. lol.. such as a bit of grits, ground up fish food, bird seed (cooked first!), ground up range cubes, maybe a few ground up boilies, etc.

For flavoring, if I'm strictly carp/buffalo fishing I'll add strawberry, pineapple flavoring, maybe some jello, etc. I also use European methods to target catfish so if I'm cat'n instead of the sweet flavors I'll add fish oils such as halibut, sardine, a few ground up bream, etc, etc. But as I've said before I've caught a few nice Buffs on more fishy scents, so I'll be exploring more fishy flavors when I fish some big buff waters in the near future. wink

I also launch a few packbait balls near my hook baits from time to time. Plus if it's a larger body of water I'll chum the area with corn, pellets, bird seed, etc, etc. One thing I've found out over the years is, I apparently enjoy feeding the fish as much as I do catching them. roflmao

Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: dmunsie] #12917307 09/30/18 03:50 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Ground up range cubes? How do you accomplish that? I usually just go at it with a sledgehammer but it's not worth the effort IMO. LOL, I like feeding the fish too, I just don't like the drive!

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12917308 09/30/18 03:53 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Tomorrow's mix: Oats and bread crumb base with sweet feed, cream corn and whole kernel corn as binders, and a bit of chili powder for flavoring. PS, the new bucket is because I still have some of my other mix left over that I'll be using tomorrow as well. Sour bait isn't necessarily a bad thing!

(the Meat U Anywhere cup is the sweet feed, I used two cup fulls)

As before, this is just the dry ingredients. I'll post up the completed mix in the morning!

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 09/30/18 03:55 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12917338 09/30/18 04:36 AM
Caribou Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species
Tomorrow's mix: Oats and bread crumb base with sweet feed, cream corn and whole kernel corn as binders, and a bit of chili powder for flavoring. PS, the new bucket is because I still have some of my other mix left over that I'll be using tomorrow as well. Sour bait isn't necessarily a bad thing!

(the Meat U Anywhere cup is the sweet feed, I used two cup fulls)

As before, this is just the dry ingredients. I'll post up the completed mix in the morning!

New Carpers, take note. He's using old fashioned oats, not quick oats. quick oats will make a packbait that holds together like concrete and wont break down over time.

Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: Caribou] #12917346 09/30/18 04:48 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Caribou
New Carpers, take note. He's using old fashioned oats, not quick oats. quick oats will make a packbait that holds together like concrete and wont break down over time.

Yep, and in my opinion oats are one of the easier baits. One of the most effective as well, my PB buff and PB common both came on this very mix!

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12917350 09/30/18 04:54 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Yep, and in my opinion oats are one of the easier baits. One of the most effective as well, my PB buff and PB common both came on this very mix!

Come to think of it, all of the PBs currently listed on my signature came on this mix. Crazy!

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12917395 09/30/18 10:19 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Ground up range cubes? How do you accomplish that? I usually just go at it with a sledgehammer but it's not worth the effort IMO. LOL, I like feeding the fish too, I just don't like the drive!

Range cubes like you mentioned, take the longest I add a bit of water to soften them up for a bit and then put them in my blender. I try to keep it one level above a "paste" so it's still fairly dry. Definitely a slow process for the range cubes when I use them. lol..

Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12917498 09/30/18 01:47 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Neat thread!

Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12917920 09/30/18 07:54 PM
M
MinMirny Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Quick item to share:
when my pack mix is toooo sticky, I'm adding BRAN
Works like a charm for me.
It is 100% free of gluten.
Just mix it in well!

Light tackle carp fishing vet.
PB carp: common 27lb - mirror 27.5lb - grassy 42lb - ghost 14lb
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12918333 10/01/18 01:54 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Was running late to the CAG NTX event this morning so couldn't upload it then but here's today's mix made up:

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: MinMirny] #12918335 10/01/18 01:57 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: MinMirny
Quick item to share:
when my pack mix is toooo sticky, I'm adding BRAN
Works like a charm for me.
It is 100% free of gluten.
Just mix it in well!

Good tip! Any time you make your pack too mushy you can always add more of your base ingredient like oats or grits but you don't always have that available if you're making it bankside. I remember once at Hubbard I put too much liquid in my grits pack so I tried to dry it out with the sun/wind and it was taking too long. Ended up adding dirt until it got to the right consistency. The fish didn't seem to mind!

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12920446 10/02/18 09:51 PM
T
theCARPenter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
You guys don't use Quick Oats! My method is so much easier to make with quick oats seems to bind better for me give it a try it could change your life. Also i make mine super tough and bindy... but then add particles that float like peanuts and birdseed so they can rip out of the method ball as they float up like zombies from out of the ground. Spreads the bait out pretty good.

Grass Carp PB - 56
Buffalo PB - 44
Common Carp PB - 27
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: theCARPenter] #12920483 10/02/18 10:36 PM
Caribou Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: theCARPenter
You guys don't use Quick Oats! My method is so much easier to make with quick oats seems to bind better for me give it a try it could change your life. Also i make mine super tough and bindy... but then add particles that float like peanuts and birdseed so they can rip out of the method ball as they float up like zombies from out of the ground. Spreads the bait out pretty good.

Ive always preferred for my method to break down after a couple minutes. I feel like t releases the scent better through the water if it breaks down. But youre a lot more experienced than I am.

Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12920623 10/03/18 12:57 AM
B
BigPoppa007 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I mix Quick Oats and Regular........

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: theCARPenter] #12921318 10/03/18 04:14 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: theCARPenter

I'm not opposed to using quick oats, just haven't gotten around to it. I try to experiment most every time I go out but since I've only been fishing a little under a year I haven't tried everything just yet. Thanks for the tip!

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12939509 10/20/18 04:50 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Finally got another mix to post, been using the same ones for the past few. I try to keep the fish on their toes if I'm fishing the same water but I'm almost always on different lakes.

This one's super simple, liquidized bread. Just break up 2-3 pieces at a time into little bits and blend 'em up as fine as they go. Repeat until you get the desired amount of bait.

Made it up tonight as well, my parents wouldn't exactly appreciate being woken up at 5AM to the sweet sounds of bait being made. Packs fantastic, be careful not to pack too tight as this one can really take a while to break down if you do. It'll really come into its own as the water gets colder.

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12950957 10/31/18 06:52 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Awesome thread, thx for keeping this going. In reference to your latest "bread pack bait", this brings me back (15+) years ago when the DFW scene was just getting "publicly" started about catching rough fish. It was popular to put some sweet corn in a piece of bread, wrap it around your lead, put a few pieces of corn on the hook, and chunk it out. Man...we caught so many fish using that method. Amazing how far the sport has come since then...but wow...looking back at that simple method....it might be the most "common sense" rig to use in most of our waters, since there is no doubt Carp/Buffalo have sucked in plenty of bread over the years from people feeding ducks, etc. Makes you think...we're over thinking. :P lol... Nah...it's too much fun messing with all this gear. smile

Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12958737 11/08/18 02:15 AM
B
buffaloman chris Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
My method mix is really simple, 1 can of old fashiond oats, 1/2 can of quick qrits, and 2 cans of cream corn. from there i pick a flavor of my choosing, but mostly I grab the chili powder, but not just any chili powder. It has to be the Adams chili powder. Its bright red and smells really good, but also leaves a red cloud on the water. I usually buy the 16.8oz bottle at Walmart and use half of the jar lol. works for me.

pb buffalo 58.0lb
pb common 36.4lb
pb grasser 46.0lb
pb mirror 24.12lb
pb koi 15.25lb
pb blue 39.0lb
pb goldfish 1.5lb
pb bass 6lbs

Lone Star Carp Brigade - Dedicated to the promotion, education and camaraderie of carp anglers in the great state of Texas
[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: buffaloman chris] #12958811 11/08/18 03:40 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: buffaloman chris
My method mix is really simple, 1 can of old fashiond oats, 1/2 can of quick qrits, and 2 cans of cream corn. from there i pick a flavor of my choosing, but mostly I grab the chili powder, but not just any chili powder. It has to be the Adams chili powder. Its bright red and smells really good, but also leaves a red cloud on the water. I usually buy the 16.8oz bottle at Walmart and use half of the jar lol. works for me.

That's a lot of chili! I've only been using 3oz but I've read old threads where they talk about using tons and catching, might have to start upping the dosage in my mix!

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12974512 11/24/18 02:25 AM
B
buffaloman chris Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Here is another mix I used to use but stopped due to the price to make it. You will need egg layers in pellet or crumble. Rabbit pellets and cracked corn. Also cream corn and bread crumb. If you get everything in 50lb bags it costs about 45$.

2 parts egg layers
1 part rabbit pellets
1 part crack corn.
1 can of bread crumb.
1 can of cream corn maybe 2.
You can add any kind of flavoring you want if you want.

pb buffalo 58.0lb
pb common 36.4lb
pb grasser 46.0lb
pb mirror 24.12lb
pb koi 15.25lb
pb blue 39.0lb
pb goldfish 1.5lb
pb bass 6lbs

Lone Star Carp Brigade - Dedicated to the promotion, education and camaraderie of carp anglers in the great state of Texas
[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: buffaloman chris] #12974567 11/24/18 03:30 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by buffaloman chris
it costs about $45

Too rich for my blood! Sounds like a sweet mix though. Might have to give it a try if the cheaper options just aren't cutting it

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12987185 12/06/18 08:58 PM
S
SOCALCARPER Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
liquidized bread is killer!
wont break down fast enough add corn meal, bran or any type of pellet even regular grits.
breaks off add jello, cream corn, or quick oats or quick grits
easiest and cheapest pack will be boiled deer corn and grind up

SOCALCARPER
World Carp Masters France 17th Place
ATC 2016 1ST PLACE
ATC 2015 1ST PLACE
ATC 2014 3RD PLACE
PB. Buffalo 44#
PB. Carp 34# and some OZ
PB. KOI. 8#
PB. Grasser 44#
PB. Bass 13.8#
With experience and patience you can accomplish anything. CT
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: SOCALCARPER] #12987378 12/07/18 12:25 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by SOCALCARPER
easiest and cheapest pack will be boiled deer corn and grind up

Mielie bom!

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12997393 12/17/18 01:23 PM
M
MiggyFishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I haven't done much carp'ing since moving out here in August but back in NJ my favorite pack bait was a mix of panko bread crumbs, strawberry jello and sweet corn (if anyone watches Luke from Catfish and Carp YT channel you're familiar with this). Was responsible for my PB common in the spring which was a little over 20 lbs. Alternatively, if I don't have time to run to the supermarket, I've used chopped up bread with oatmeal, corn meal, and sweet corn.

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: MiggyFishing] #12998060 12/18/18 01:30 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Luke's packbait is really solid! He's caught a lot of good fish on it.

Also, welcome to the forum!

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12999879 12/19/18 09:12 PM
C
CoC Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Method mix can be as simple or complicated as you like. A good one for me is 2 cups of rabbit pellets, one tub of oats (48 oz), a can of cream style corn, a can of whole kernel corn (with juice), a can of crushed pineapple with juice and 4-6 ounces of molasses. For this one to mix properly first mix the crushed pineapple and whole kernel corn with the rabbit pellets so the pellets will absorb the liquid and become mushy.

A much simpler mix that works well (especially in winter) is to blend 2 ripe bananas with 12oz of drinking alcohol of one's choice, rice bran, soybeanmeal and molasses. when mixed properly this method will pack perfectly, but still breaks pretty quickly.

SirHerbertC
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13186397 06/15/19 05:06 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Resurrecting this thread because I've got a new packbait to post! This one's a true blue American paylake-style packbait. Forever Rice! This is excellent in the warmer water which is fast approaching.

Forever Rice - Rice base with hot water, salt, and sugar. Your choice of flavoring.

[Linked Image]

This one is a bit more finicky than the others I've posted so I've got an exact recipe for you guys. You can multiply or divide this as you see fit.

28oz instant white rice
28oz water
1 cup sugar
1 cup salt

Get a large bowl and add sugar and salt then add in your water. Heat in the microwave until all the salt and sugar dissolve being careful not to boil the water. Once the water is good, pour it into the rice and add your flavoring at the same time. Mix well and put the lid on. Every 30 mins for the next 2 hours break apart the rice and stir it as it sets up to keep it fluffed up and from sticking together. This will last for weeks.

And here's the mix made up! Feels great, can't wait to hit the water. fish
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13189082 06/18/19 12:50 PM
C
CoC Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I'll definitely be giving that a try very soon Finley. Can't wait to see post of how well you do with it.

SirHerbertC
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13209960 07/10/19 11:46 AM
C
CoC Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species
Resurrecting this thread because I've got a new packbait to post! This one's a true blue American paylake-style packbait. Forever Rice! This is excellent in the warmer water which is fast approaching.

Forever Rice - Rice base with hot water, salt, and sugar. Your choice of flavoring.

[Linked Image]

This one is a bit more finicky than the others I've posted so I've got an exact recipe for you guys. You can multiply or divide this as you see fit.

28oz instant white rice
28oz water
1 cup sugar
1 cup salt

Get a large bowl and add sugar and salt then add in your water. Heat in the microwave until all the salt and sugar dissolve being careful not to boil the water. Once the water is good, pour it into the rice and add your flavoring at the same time. Mix well and put the lid on. Every 30 mins for the next 2 hours break apart the rice and stir it as it sets up to keep it fluffed up and from sticking together. This will last for weeks.

And here's the mix made up! Feels great, can't wait to hit the water. fish
[Linked Image]

Is it pva friendly??

SirHerbertC
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: CoC Angler] #13210241 07/10/19 03:51 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by CoC Angler
Is it pva friendly??

Not sure, I don't have any of the rice left after my most recent trip grin

[Linked Image]
Re: Packbait/Method Mix Thread [Re: MiggyFishing] #13210846 07/10/19 11:30 PM
T
TexasRoughFishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by MiggyFishing
my favorite pack bait was a mix of panko bread crumbs, strawberry jello and sweet corn (if anyone watches Luke from Catfish and Carp YT channel you're familiar with this.

I use a modified version of Lukes mix. I use the original ingredients (panko, sweet corn and strawberry jello), with the addition of instant oats, vanilla extract, and honey. Ive nearly tripled my amount of takes since switching to this modified mix.
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide