Page 1 of 2 1 2
First time kayak owner #12910329 09/24/18 03:22 PM
W
white bass interceptor Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
I will be hitting the creeks and lakes this fall, winter, and spring for the most popular species in Texas---THE WHITE BASS. I will be using a kayak for the first time and welcome any and all advices, suggestion and what not to do are welcomed. Desiring to be a productive kayak fisherman but most of all a safe and courteous kayak fisherman.

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12910357 09/24/18 03:44 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Don't anchor in moving water until you've had more experience in your kayak.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12910431 09/24/18 04:29 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Welcome to the Plastic Navy. Which kayak do you have? I'd suggest you get out and paddle around and use it a few times. See where you naturally lay rods or equipment down or reach for things. No need to drill holes or buy a bunch of gear right off the bat. Add up your weight plus the weight of all gear and don't exceed 70% of the stated weight capacity of your kayak. Get a bright flag so boaters can see you.

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12910438 09/24/18 04:34 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Always wear a life jacket

Have a bright flag of somekind so others see you

Have a whistle or something to make loud sound with

If going out during dawn/dusk or at night be sure you have a 360 degree light on kayak and spare lighting(ie flashlight or headlamp).

Have a sharp knife readily accessible.

Let someone know where you are going and when expected back

Look at the weather forecast right before heading to the lake.

Dress appropriately for the weather and water temp.

Practice how to get into your kayak from deep water.

Be careful of high winds. If wind starts to pick up get back quickly or close to shore.

Try to start out against the wind.

Get off the water if there is thunder or lightening.

Stay close to shore, may need to go a little further to get someplace than direct route across the lake.

Stay out of high traffic boating areas or spend as little time in them as possible.

Be very alert of what other boats are doing around ramp or when anchored and fishing, they may not even realize you are there.

Go with a buddy if possible.

in high waves(applies to wind or boat wakes), try to avoid taking waves broadside, may want to do a zigzag course instead in wind or face boat wakes head on. Also lower center of gravity if possible.

Have a rope with you which can be used to help/tow someone else or yourself, also can be used to tie you off to something or around your waist if get out of kayak for some reason. Be sure can quickly release if put around waist while in shallow water.

Be very careful not to get sucked into a log jam.

Secure gear to kayak you do not want to loose.

Always be sure kayak is properly secured before leaving it on waters edge.

Load/Unload as much of kayak as possible before getting onto the ramp.

Stay on edge of ramp leaving as much space as possible for boats.

Give others their space.

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12910456 09/24/18 04:44 PM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
thanks for the info. not sure which kayak, will be heading out to pick it up within the next 30 min. will get back later.

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12911417 09/25/18 12:46 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Ocelot covered a lot of it! Nice job!

I would add keep your cell phone safe and a VHF radio is not a bad idea. My buddies and I all got one so we can keep in contact when we go out together. Also could be used to of course call for help from other vessels if you go alone. But really buddy system is best.

There is so much to learn it would be hard to cover it all here but there are tons of resources out there. Maybe go with a group or a buddy who is more experienced can show you the ropes? Heck I have met a lot of guys on here who I fish with regularly.

Where are you located? What type of kayak did you end up getting?

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12911601 09/25/18 02:56 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Be aware you intend to fish during the colder months so water temps can be low enough to be deadly.
Dress warm and it's best to not fish alone especially during the winter months, and take along dry clothes and have a plan, let people know where you are going and when you will return, just in case of an emergency.

Last edited by Jimbo; 09/25/18 03:02 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: Ocelot] #12911647 09/25/18 03:30 PM
JJ4MEL Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Ocelot

If going out during dawn/dusk or at night be sure you have a 360 degree light on kayak and spare lighting(ie flashlight or headlamp).

Be careful of high winds. If wind starts to pick up get back quickly or close to shore.

Stay close to shore, may need to go a little further to get someplace than direct route across the lake.

Stay out of high traffic boating areas or spend as little time in them as possible.

Be very alert of what other boats are doing around ramp or when anchored and fishing, they may not even realize you are there.

in high waves(applies to wind or boat wakes), try to avoid taking waves broadside, may want to do a zigzag course instead in wind or face boat wakes head on. Also lower center of gravity if possible.

Have a rope with you which can be used to help/tow someone else or yourself, also can be used to tie you off to something or around your waist if get out of kayak for some reason. Be sure can quickly release if put around waist while in shallow water.

Give others their space.

^^^YEP, what he said^^^

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12911712 09/25/18 04:07 PM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Thanks for all the info. I am always mindful of the fact that an ounce of prevention is better than a ton of cure. I have a older model 16' aquaterra made by perception Its a tandem kayak.

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12913065 09/26/18 04:10 PM
C
Chucked Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
One thing I do when fishing Conroe in the summer, or any where in the Winter is use the location sharing option in Google Maps on my phone. It will keep your location updated with whomever you share it with, not just your launch point. That way, if anything ever happens, my wife would hopefully be able to see where I was last and the direction I was heading.

I also keep a dry bag of clothes in my kayak, and another set in my truck just in case.

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12913157 09/26/18 05:24 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
I like the location sharing idea.
When I get a smart phone I will have to start using this.

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12913158 09/26/18 05:24 PM
A
Aquiles Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
What lake do you frequent , I just got a Perception Pescador maybe we could team up someday its always more fun with company. last winter I wore neoprene waders with longjohns under them they were warm with the added benefit that the neoprene waders will float even if they fill with water.

Last edited by Aquiles; 09/26/18 05:30 PM.
Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12915727 09/28/18 08:50 PM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
We need to plan a few trips together to chase those white bass and buffalo grin I've been chasing sunfish in the kayak this summer but I can't wait to get back into the white bass mode. I'm really getting the white bass fever bad.

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: Ocelot] #12915875 09/28/18 11:42 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ocelot

Give others their space.

thats excellent

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12917353 09/30/18 04:59 AM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Hey guys thanks for all of the info. To Chucked the google sharing app sounds great. Aquile I love the Somerville lake and all of its feeder creeks. There are many great pro fishermen's that frequent that lake and creeks who don't mind sharing their knowledge. I really have a family atmosphere to it. J-Moe I would love to accompany you on a white bass hunt. I believe if we get a good strong creek flow that lasts for a couple of weeks it would fill the creeks with fish. I am ready to beat the banks and fill the stringer.

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12918207 10/01/18 12:10 AM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: white bass interceptor
J-Moe I would love to accompany you on a white bass hunt. I believe if we get a good strong creek flow that lasts for a couple of weeks it would fill the creeks with fish. I am ready to beat the banks and fill the stringer.

Sounds great, I'll be in touch. I plan on hitting several different creeks this year, instead of just fishing the Somerville creeks. The lake is still over 2 feet low so we need some heavy rains in the Yegua watershed or it may be a poor run.

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12928901 10/10/18 12:57 AM
T
Thunk Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Get a buddy to go with. It's fun sharing that time, twice as safe and pay close attention to what those big list of suggestions has for you. You'll be glad you did!

Re: First time kayak owner [Re: white bass interceptor] #12934351 10/15/18 09:16 PM
W
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Thanks. Looking forward to a whole new fishing experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide