Forums59
Topics1,038,803
Posts13,953,006
Members144,178
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the Rio Grande River and never saw another angler updated with full report #12905221 09/20/18 05:01 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Well I will follow up on this as I am flat beat. Here is a little teaser though.

Last edited by Robert Hunter; 09/25/18 03:03 AM.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12905443 09/20/18 02:45 PM
JJ4MEL Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
eek2

Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12905901 09/20/18 10:36 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Nice! What stretch did you fish? I was up there last fall and fished below Rio Grande reservoir, a few miles above it, and two mountain streams that feed into that area.

Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12906029 09/21/18 12:18 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Hit that upper stretch last year really some stud fish in there. These are in the upper and lower Collier wildlife area the upper stretch is way harder to get to numbers were about the same. Yet upper size structure was way better with harder access. I walked all the way back to south fork I will fill in on the story on the way back. Long long walk lol.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12906104 09/21/18 01:10 AM
M
Mitt78 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Looks like an amazing trip

Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12906347 09/21/18 05:14 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Yes has been amazing mitt we are actually hitting that upper stretch above and below the lake tomorrow YAKnit. Hopefully some big browns have already started to move up to spawn. I hear the dream stream is already fishing great.

Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12906350 09/21/18 05:28 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Not sure if you saw YAK but caught the biggest rio Ive ever seen on the upper run last July on a green drake emerger on top. Called it cuttzilla honestly pic did no justice. its behind my body not in front the tail was on my waders. yet I had to hold my arm back with the head to get it in the shot as my buddy couldnt hear me as I got it in. He came up as I released it with some under water shots he tied on one of my emergers, and pulled his biggest brown out of the same eddy. I hope the same pattern is on up there as it will really top this run.

Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12907154 09/21/18 10:09 PM
M
Mitt78 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
I bet those put up a good fight. I havent ever been trout fishing yet but your pictures are making it hard to wait till my trip to Arkansas in November.

Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12907160 09/21/18 10:20 PM
S
Smurfs Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Looks like a awesome trip Robert. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Smurfs; 09/21/18 10:27 PM.
Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12907814 09/22/18 02:21 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Awesome! I loved it up there. I think they will shut the gate pretty soon there and block access up towards Rio Grande reservoir. I'd love to get up above the lake when browns start running up the Rio.

Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12910361 09/24/18 03:46 PM
T
texasflycaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I was expecting tarpon! That's a long river! And I've done both ends - one's a lot smellier than the other though.

Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12910799 09/24/18 09:04 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Lol yes it is. I am back at work recovering from drive back. Ill work on a full report here in a bit

Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12911233 09/25/18 02:50 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Well I have to start with the fact I have been going to Colorado for 15 years and have never been outside of the end of June or July. The fall up there is definitely a different animal! The big Rivers normally only accessible by floating have now become wadeable. The smaller upper tributaries the fish have either pulled back or the water is so low and clear you have to rely on stealth to coax them into eating. I have always heard the fall is all about streamers up there. My self normally being a nymph Tacticioner I was shocked. I only caught one single fish on a nymph the entire week. Every single other fish was on a sz6 bugger with a rust red tail with forest green body and green flash for hackle. I dont know if I ever remember that many days in a row with Fish in Stillwater and Rivers keying in on the same pattern the entire time. We had a really good size group of close to twenty people yet bono fly and I were the only two people that had a rod. The rest were just there to ride side by sides and four wheelers. That is really the way to go to see what beautiful country is up there you would never see from the road. I have seen pictures of them but the Aspen are really breathtaking. We saw an amazing variety of wildlife including Bald, Golden, and osprey eagles of those the osprey flew right beside us with a nice trout. The bald eagle was flying the other direction and actually swooped down and came up with a fish as we passed. On land we encountered Moose, Elk, Marmot, mule deer, chipmunk, prong horn, and one snake way higher than Ive ever seen. Really no interest in seeing big cats lol didnt see a bear but heard there were a few coming into South Fork at night. The first day I went ahead and rode along all day on the alpine loop. Did stop and fish above San Cristoble lake For a bit fhe water was gin clear, And the skies blue bird clear. I kicked up a few hoppers walking in but they were very lethargic not wanting to fly at all. I did go ahead and try a foam hopper about the same size of what I had seen. After not even spooking a fish at the first few pools I tied on the bugger. I walked up on the next hole and found a nice cut bank at an oxbow. Landed right at the top of the riffle and mended down stream to get down and under the cut. I was caught completely off guard when a brown shaped like a football in the 18-20 inch range bolted out and engulfed the bugger. I was caught so off guard I watched the entire process as the fish attacked tasted and spit my fly before I could even twitch to set the hook. We only had a short time to meet the rest of the group for lunch and start back so that was it for the day in regard to fishing. After drying out all day the trails were really dusty even with glasses and a buff felt like I took a big bite of dirt getting back. So I decided that was enough for me Wednesday I told Bono fly dont worry about me as I was going to go hard core. He obviously needed the truck for a toy hauler. I had him drop me off at the start of lower. Colliarspelling Wild life area at mile marker say 3.5 just outside of town. I had honestly rushed getting rigged and added some 5x to my ten pound sandbass leader. I had rigged up a double nymph setup before bed. The skies were blue bird again and the wind was howling down stream on the river. It was blowing so hard it was dragging the flies bad. With no way to keep it on a dead drift I decided to go back to the bugger. On the first cast upstream behind a large rock I held the rod high to keep the line out of the seam. Right as it hits the water a gust accelerates the fly just under the surface. Two browns come into view chase it down and fight over eating it lol. Two cast later pick up the fish that got second place. This day started of and continues like this the entire day. There were no cut banks left with the low water so the fish had to rely on rocks for cover. Every place you would think there was a fish there were two or three. They were in front of and behind every boulder in the river. With this being said with 15 years of a minimum of seven days fishing Colorado Wednesday was hands down the best day Ive ever had. Ive had a day with ten fish in the 20 or bigger range but they were the only fish all day. Ive had 70+ fish says with all tiny cutthroat and bookies. This day the average size was great and the treated me like the sandbass do haha. About 11 oclock thick clouds moved in and the nocturnal browns kept at the feeding binge. Before I knew it I was all the way up the lower stretch and hit private water. I made my way out of the river and hiked the close to a mile and a half or so around the houses. I continued working my way up at the start of the upper section. The upper section varies greatly from the lower as the river start to enter a canyon there were no noticeable pull off places to get down that I saw. The further up I worked the quality of the Fish kept getting better. After breaking off two really good fish from the heavy leader cutting the way smaller tippet I finally did it right. Stopped fishing and had some tuna crackers and put on a Seven and a half foot 5x leader and added two feet of grand max seaguar floro. Shortly after resuming fishing I make a cast to the back of a rock the size of a one ton truck skipping the fly back under the surface a real rio grand fish a brown in the 8-10 pound range blows up like a striper. It hit right at my feet quickly for the deep hole behind the boulder. I was wet wading and as I was trying to scramble down stream where I could cross it swam right around the rock and back down game over. The day at this point was so good it didnt matter as Ive caught bigger trout and Im sure Ill get another shot. They are that big for a reason! I really had lost track of time so I turned my phone on out of my dry box shortly after. I was shocked it was already 3:30 and I had already worked up around four miles on the upper section. You had to walk the river out with no service I had no idea if bono fly was back and being in the dark out there with no side arm I start walking. I kept a constant pace with the first mile marker I pass being ten. I had no idea I had gone that far until I saw that sign. I was really kind of upset as I definitely look like a stranded flyfisherman walking down the road. Protect and serve I had a police officer a game warden and a forest park vehicles all past me and not offer a ride Lol. The mile markers kept going by slow with wet wool socks and two blown out sandals my legs were really burning. I watched as I reentered Rio grand County and finally passed the city limit sign for South Fork. Just as I got even with mile marker one and could see the roof of the first store coming into town I see Bono fly coming down the road. At that point I was so close I almost said screw it and kept walking but quickly changed my mind and jumped in the truck LOL. He asked me if I did any good And he thought it was like fish story when I said I had brought 75 fish to hand and lost that many more. As I figured he might think I was joking. I showed him the go Pro with 52 different fish I had taken pictures of I definitely needed to bring back evidence of the day. All that being said I never saw another angler on the river all day. I rested up the legs and Thursday we went up and hit a height lake that has snake river cutts. Bono was ready to fish after seeing the pictures. The front from Wednesday had passed the clouds vanished and we were back to bluebird skies. We did not start seeing many fish at the lake but they finally got active. Had a bunch of hook ups but they were short striking. Bono finally did manage a nice cutthroat up there. I broke two off setting the hook to hard with 6x. We moved down to the gold medal water halfway to Del Norte. This stretch of the river is like walking on greased bowling balls. Caught eight browns and one bow in short order only problem was the biggest was about ten inches. It was Unseasonably hot now that it was a little after lunch and the water felt warm so we stopped. We went up river looking for faster cooler water where I was Wednesday. With the high sun the fish just didnt want to play. I think they all had sore lips from the day before ha ha. We finally had gotten rain the night before but the river was more of a color than I expected. On the last day Friday I was going to start at the upper section and go the rest of the way up and fish my way back. But the ATV great change their trail to go up to Rio Grande reservoir. I have done really good above and below the lake so decided To go. Upon arriving I was shocked to see the river the color of chocolate milk! And even more shocked to come around the dam of the lake to find the lake almost dry and drained. I had read on them working on some of the older dams but nothing on Rio Grande reservoir. I did hook into a really good Rio under some Willows but it flipped up into the tree and broke off. We did try the muddy River to no avail so made our way up to one of the lakes off of the trails. We still found solitude and beautiful country managed a few nights rainbows to finish off the trip. All in all was a great trip And good company topped off with a very special day of fishing. Dreaded the drive back and going back to work but its got to happen sometime I will definitely be back in the fall sometime. Lack of crowds is awesome I would definitely recommend checking it out this time of year if you have not. I will work on adding some pictures here shortly!

Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12911247 09/25/18 03:07 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R

Re: Rumor has it masked ninja fished ten miles of the rio grande today and never saw another angler! [Re: Robert Hunter] #12911250 09/25/18 03:09 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide