Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Duck_Hunter] #12906612 09/21/18 02:30 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
And she (smartly) doesnt say what is wrong with him or what medication he is on, which might explain why he was violent. That, to me, changes things. Is he of right mind? Or was it a reaction to medication? A lot of variables here, but Im hesitant to say that every hospital/ICU patient who becomes physical with a nurse should not be arrested or taken into custody (custody meaning physically removed from the hospital) when there are extenuating circumstances.

No offense to nurses or first responders.

I agree 100% here. The lack of those details seems very odd to me. My answer here is that this is not black and white. You can't just go arresting and removing people. People would die and there is no "justice" as at least some of these folks were not in full control of their facilities. Nursing is a very tough under appreciated job; zero doubt. No nurse should ever be physically assaulted. That said, to some degree this risk comes with the territory. A patient of sound mind? They should be arrested the moment they are released.

Last edited by Jpurdue; 09/21/18 02:31 PM.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Duck_Hunter] #12906619 09/21/18 02:36 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Her complaint is that he wasnt taken into custody, it seems like, not just that he wasnt arrested. The police arrest people in the hospital all the time, but they dont take them into custody because they need to be in the hospital. The man apparently needs to be in the ICU (although he sounds like he is lucid, strong and mobile) so I dont see how she expects them to take him into custody and remove the threat from her friends and coworkers.

Thank you to nurses, EMS, other first responders, etc who deal with this on a daily basis. It takes a special person to put up with all you do.

If he is in "custody" then restraining him is much easier.

Im not sure I follow. She makes it sound like she wants him removed from the hospital. Thats how Im reading the word custody in her post. Maybe, legally speaking, she means custody in a different sense, but it sounds like she wants the police to arrest him, take him somewhere for booking, like jail or at least some sort of other hospital to protect her friends, coworkers, work family...

There are issues, I imagine, about patients rights and being moved to another hospital, especially if youre in ICU.

You know more about this than I do. Im not arguing, Im genuinely curious.

If he is under arrest/custody then he can be handcuffed to bed etc. It is much easier for law enforcement to restrain him than it is for chemical or soft restraints by hospital staff.

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906662 09/21/18 03:13 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Even a criminally insane patient can be charged with assault on nursing staff under certain conditions, but it is very rare from what I've seen. Having a patient arrested is the last thing a hospital would want to do in my opinion.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Mark Perry] #12906665 09/21/18 03:16 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Her complaint is that he wasnt taken into custody, it seems like, not just that he wasnt arrested. The police arrest people in the hospital all the time, but they dont take them into custody because they need to be in the hospital. The man apparently needs to be in the ICU (although he sounds like he is lucid, strong and mobile) so I dont see how she expects them to take him into custody and remove the threat from her friends and coworkers.

Thank you to nurses, EMS, other first responders, etc who deal with this on a daily basis. It takes a special person to put up with all you do.

If he is in "custody" then restraining him is much easier.

Im not sure I follow. She makes it sound like she wants him removed from the hospital. Thats how Im reading the word custody in her post. Maybe, legally speaking, she means custody in a different sense, but it sounds like she wants the police to arrest him, take him somewhere for booking, like jail or at least some sort of other hospital to protect her friends, coworkers, work family...

There are issues, I imagine, about patients rights and being moved to another hospital, especially if youre in ICU.

You know more about this than I do. Im not arguing, Im genuinely curious.

If he is under arrest/custody then he can be handcuffed to bed etc. It is much easier for law enforcement to restrain him than it is for chemical or soft restraints by hospital staff.

Got it. I agree with you. It still seems like she is wanting him out of the facility, but maybe not.

[Linked Image]
Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906669 09/21/18 03:17 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
And she (smartly) doesnt say what is wrong with him or what medication he is on, which might explain why he was violent. That, to me, changes things. Is he of right mind? Or was it a reaction to medication? A lot of variables here, but Im hesitant to say that every hospital/ICU patient who becomes physical with a nurse should not be arrested or taken into custody (custody meaning physically removed from the hospital) when there are extenuating circumstances.

I agree 100% here. The lack of those details seems very odd to me. My answer here is that this is not black and white. You can't just go arresting and removing people. People would die and there is no "justice" as at least some of these folks were not in full control of their facilities. Nursing is a very tough under appreciated job; zero doubt. No nurse should ever be physically assaulted. That said, to some degree this risk comes with the territory. A patient of sound mind? They should be arrested the moment they are released.

Legally, I dont think she can give out patient medical history (such as ailment, medication, etc) so thats why she isnt giving out the details.

[Linked Image]
Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Duck_Hunter] #12906673 09/21/18 03:21 PM
T
TR176 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T

Once the police arrest someone they become a ward of the state and the cost of needed medical care is provided by the taxpayers.They could arrest him and cuff him to the bed. Then all of a sudden they would have to tie up resources by providing an officer to guard and an open checkbook to pay bills. It is not uncommon for low level prisoners to be admitted to a hospital and the police all of sudden decide to release or drop charges.

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Duck_Hunter] #12906683 09/21/18 03:25 PM
T
TR176 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T

Legally, I dont think she can give out patient medical history (such as ailment, medication, etc) so thats why she isnt giving out the details.

There is a problem here. Giving out any information that can lead to anyone being able to identify a patient is a violation of HIPPA. Since a few hundred people can with certainty identify this guy she could indeed have problem. This is why it is best to be suspicious of these type of stories.

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: TR176] #12906707 09/21/18 03:53 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: TR176

There is a problem here. Giving out any information that can lead to anyone being able to identify a patient is a violation of HIPPA. Since a few hundred people can with certainty identify this guy she could indeed have problem. This is why it is best to be suspicious of these type of stories.

Interesting.

[Linked Image]
Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: TR176] #12906710 09/21/18 03:54 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: TR176

Once the police arrest someone they become a ward of the state and the cost of needed medical care is provided by the taxpayers.They could arrest him and cuff him to the bed. Then all of a sudden they would have to tie up resources by providing an officer to guard and an open checkbook to pay bills. It is not uncommon for low level prisoners to be admitted to a hospital and the police all of sudden decide to release or drop charges.

Thats the info I was looking for. Thank you.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide