Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906508 09/21/18 01:09 PM
T
TR176 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Any nurse can tell when a patient becomes violent due to altered mental status. Assaults/threats generally occur when a patient or their family member wants something they cant have due to policy or medical orders.
Assaulting a medical provider should be a felony.

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906517 09/21/18 01:17 PM
G
grandpa75672 Offline
G
That name does not appear on YouTube.

If patient is conscious of and in control of his actions then he is also responsible.

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.... W.C.Fields

I know a little about a lot of things but not a whole lot about anything....CGD
Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: David Welcher] #12906519 09/21/18 01:19 PM
T
TR176 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: David Welcher
My dad has told me a few times that he would like to have strangled his nurse! Ripped his catheter out like she was trying to start a lawn mower is what he claimed.

Hope the ballon was deflated.

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906521 09/21/18 01:19 PM
A
Arkansas10 bass Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
Yes, the devil is in the details.
If this nurse was chocked to the point of passing out, it most assuredly sounds like assault to me. I have to wonder why the police refused to arrest the perp?!?!

I couldn't pull up the story. A link would be appreciated.

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906528 09/21/18 01:24 PM
T Bird Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The effects of coming out of anesthesia can make some folks say/do some really weird s***.

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906531 09/21/18 01:26 PM
bassfishinglawyer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Details without pic:

September 18 at 7:21 PM Walla Walla, WA
As many of you know, I was assaulted by a patient while at work on Sunday. A patient that I had cared for and dedicated myself to for 12.5 hours a day for three straight days prior to this. I wasnt home with my family, or out having fun, I was doing what God called me to do, to care for those who are at their worst. Most patients in the Intensive Care Unit are unstable in many ways. Hemodynamically, emotionally, and mentally. Most of us have been hit, kicked, or pushed out of the way of a scared patient who is trying to run away. Being in the ICU, or the hospital in general can be a very scary thing. Mental illness is also a scary thing. I have never hated someone for the injuries Ive experienced while they were scared or not thinking straight. Ive never pressed criminal charges before this, because Ive tried to put myself in their shoes and do what us nurses do best, be compassionate. But on Sunday it was my turn to be scared. Let me tell you, having a strong individuals hands around your neck, the inability to breathe, let alone call for help, to the point where you cant see a thing and can only hear an emergency staff assist tone going off, is one of the absolutely gut-wrenching, most terrifying feelings anyone could ever imagine. It didnt help that it was preceded with the words Im gonna kill you. It was also followed by a confirmation that this individual was not only aware of what they had just attempted to do, but also if anyone else comes near me Ill kill them too followed by a smirk. I had collapsed and was taken to the emergency department, so I wasnt present for the arrival Law Enforcement, so I cant speak to that. What I can speak to is the sickening feeling I got when officers came to my ER room to get my statement and inform me that they are unable to take this patient into custody. Instead, said patient gets to stay at the hospital, where my coworkers/friends/work family are forced to continue to put themselves into harms way and care for someone who just tried to murder their friend. Do you know what it feels like to know that someone who just tried to kill you isnt even being arrested?

Im sorry..but excuse me, when did my life become so INVALUABLE that someone can try to take it away, and not be taken into custody???
Let me ask you this, if this happened in front of you on the street, would you expect that person to get a slap on the wrist and get to continue walking down the sidewalk? How safe would you feel then? What if it was a teacher, a cashier, a police officer who was assaulted? Do you think their assailant would get to go upon their day like nothing happened, and not be arrested and taken into custody? Or should we wait and have a psychiatrist come do a mental evaluation first to decide if they should be held accountable? Should we have someone evaluated before getting arrested each time we have a domestic violence call? What if they arent mentally stable? As I sit here still trying to process the nightmare from Sunday, the debriefing yesterday where I saw some of the strongest nurses I know break down into sobbing tears, and the emotions that have filled me since I questioned if I was going to survive that moment or not, as I wait to hear if the Deputy Prosecutor will be able to file felony aggravated assault charges, I cant help but feel angry and disappointed at how little rights we have as caregivers, and how little our lives are truly valued. I know the bruises, the sore muscles, and the loss of my zest for life will take time to heal, and I can accept that. Im not only hoping and praying for healing for myself and my coworkers, but for some kind of CHANGE in how sexual harassment and physical and verbal abuse in healthcare is handled and tolerated.

Im putting this out there to bring awareness of what is happening in hospitals. Not just in big cities, but right here. Just because you are in the hospital does NOT MEAN THERE ARE NO LAWS AND NO MORAL RESPONSIBILITY. It is not a stupid series of movies where you get a free pass to be an [censored] for a specified amount of time. ITS REAL LIFE. You cannot strangle people. You cannot sexually harass people. You cannot hit, kick, bite, scratch, spit on, or call people names. And by people I mean those folks who sacrifice time with their families, their bladders, and their SANITY to care for you in every single way. IT IS NOT OKAY.

Nurses are fueled on compassion, because Lord knows we dont get lunch breaks and the money is nothing compared to what we have to deal with. I can guarantee you that there are at least 8 amazing nurses and nursing staff whos compassion for what they do has been greatly compromised from this event, and that in its self is tragic.

#endnurseabuse #endhealthcareabuse #notyourpunchingbag
#zerotolerance #silentnomore #ICUstrong #ERstrong #nursestrong #nurseadvocacy
#nursefamily #timetorally

That being said, THANK you from the bottom of my heart to those who have reached out and for all of the continued support. And words can never explain how grateful I am to my work family for your quick actions and unwavering support. We are a team and I love you all...we WILL make a difference so that we are safe at work. 👊🏼💔

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906541 09/21/18 01:33 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Her complaint is that he wasnt taken into custody, it seems like, not just that he wasnt arrested. The police arrest people in the hospital all the time, but they dont take them into custody because they need to be in the hospital. The man apparently needs to be in the ICU (although he sounds like he is lucid, strong and mobile) so I dont see how she expects them to take him into custody and remove the threat from her friends and coworkers.

Thank you to nurses, EMS, other first responders, etc who deal with this on a daily basis. It takes a special person to put up with all you do.

[Linked Image]
Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906543 09/21/18 01:36 PM
A
Arkansas10 bass Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
Thanks for that.

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: grandpa75672] #12906547 09/21/18 01:42 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: grandpa75672
If patient is conscious of and in control of his actions then he is also responsible.

Agreed.

I can understand someone who is heavily medicated not being consciously aware of their actions. I once kicked a nurse across the room while coming out of anesthesia (I now ask for restraints when the dr is going to use anesthesia now so it doesn't happen again).

But otherwise, no excuse for it.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Arkansas10 bass] #12906553 09/21/18 01:47 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Arkansas10 bass
Thanks for that.

^^^^^^^^^this to popcorn peep

Last edited by Bass&More; 09/21/18 02:00 PM.
Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Duck_Hunter] #12906568 09/21/18 01:58 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Her complaint is that he wasnt taken into custody, it seems like, not just that he wasnt arrested. The police arrest people in the hospital all the time, but they dont take them into custody because they need to be in the hospital. The man apparently needs to be in the ICU (although he sounds like he is lucid, strong and mobile) so I dont see how she expects them to take him into custody and remove the threat from her friends and coworkers.

Thank you to nurses, EMS, other first responders, etc who deal with this on a daily basis. It takes a special person to put up with all you do.

If he is in "custody" then restraining him is much easier.

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906574 09/21/18 02:01 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
If you are in the ICU and hitting nurses I've got to believe the vast majority are not in their right mind. Either from medication or mental issues.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906579 09/21/18 02:05 PM
Derek 🐝 Offline
Queen of Bees
Queen of Bees
He should be arrested and sentenced to be used for clinical trials instead of using a chimpanzee.

Ebolacane Researcher
CovidNado Chaser
McRib Pro Staff
Team Beans
Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Mark Perry] #12906599 09/21/18 02:19 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

If he is in "custody" then restraining him is much easier.

Im not sure I follow. She makes it sound like she wants him removed from the hospital. Thats how Im reading the word custody in her post. Maybe, legally speaking, she means custody in a different sense, but it sounds like she wants the police to arrest him, take him somewhere for booking, like jail or at least some sort of other hospital to protect her friends, coworkers, work family...

There are issues, I imagine, about patients rights and being moved to another hospital, especially if youre in ICU.

You know more about this than I do. Im not arguing, Im genuinely curious.

[Linked Image]
Re: Nurse Abuse [Re: Jpurdue] #12906602 09/21/18 02:22 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
And she (smartly) doesnt say what is wrong with him or what medication he is on, which might explain why he was violent. That, to me, changes things. Is he of right mind? Or was it a reaction to medication? A lot of variables here, but Im hesitant to say that every hospital/ICU patient who becomes physical with a nurse should not be arrested or taken into custody (custody meaning physically removed from the hospital) when there are extenuating circumstances.

No offense to nurses or first responders.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide